Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

It's crazy to see a country collapsing in on itself in real time. Social media is probably the worst thing to ever happen to Russia because it really limits their ability to control the narrative like they have throughout their history. The battle in the east is going to be bloody but I don't see how Ukraine doesn't win long term barring Putin going nuclear. And even then, Putin will not survive that. There really is no exit ramp for him for this. 

I mean there is one…what’s the tallest building in Moscow?
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The US has the exact opposite problem here.  All the Olds breaking our budget.  Is there any way we could borrow just a bit of their drugs, alcohol and despair?  Not a lot.  Just enough to save some money.  And can we do it before the next Presidential election thx.

Bring back the death panels?

• Like 1

Idk how much longer it's acceptable for us to sit on the sidelines while Russia is straight up killing civilians. This isn't a war anymore it's genocide due to losing the war. 

They have already backed off from the nuclear threat and opened up the possibility for us to eradicate them from inside of Ukraine, just not pursue into Russian territory. It seems like it's quickly approaching go time for this and maybe that's what all the UN posturing is about. 

If china wants to start WW3 to defend genocide then WW3 was inevitable. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Putin has got to be wondering if he is playing war with his brothers kids.

Between the terrible information dissemination, retractions, terrible intel, terrible tactics, untrained, undisciplined soldiers, shit equipment, no logistics; they guy has to realize that nothing anyone ever tells him is true and that everyone that works for him is some form of idiot.

Do you think any russian, including putin and all of his military leadership, really knows what’s going on in Ukraine?  I get the feeling that between lies to superiors, lies to the public, bad intel, fog of war, and whatever else, none of them have an accurate picture of current situation or even all that’s happened in the past 6 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

They have already backed off from the nuclear threat

In what way?  It's been written into Russian battlefield doctrine for decades that nukes are to be used as a tactical option.  They might not send nukes in NATO countries, but if there is an outside incursion directly against their forces, their tactics are written that nukes are to be used.  That means on Ukrainian soil.  Against Ukrainian populated areas.  

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Makes you wonder about if Hitler didn’t go after Stalingrad just because it was stalin’s namesake. 

It absolutely played a part.  As did the defense of the city, to not give up a center bearing their leaders name.  After the failed attempt to take Moscow, German forces were stupidly split north and south.  The siege of Leningrad was actually longer in the north, both allowing Russian forces to coalesce, regroup, and ultimately push the overextended Germans back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

In what way?  It's been written into Russian battlefield doctrine for decades that nukes are to be used as a tactical option.  They might not send nukes in NATO countries, but if there is an outside incursion directly against their forces, their tactics are written that nukes are to be used.  That means on Ukrainian soil.  Against Ukrainian populated areas.  

NATO has said if they use nukes in any fashion that it will intervene. 

Also, if any of that fallout goes over a NATO country it can trigger Article 5. 

It's not so much of Russia backing off as it was NATO serving notice. 

Just now, The Dog said:

NATO has said if they use nukes in any fashion that it will intervene. 

Also, if any of that fallout goes over a NATO country it can trigger Article 5. 

It's not so much of Russia backing off as it was NATO serving notice. 

They have.  If they use nukes, we will step in.  But if we step in, they will use nukes.  This is old doctrine.  Nothing new.  

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do you think any russian, including putin and all of his military leadership, really knows what’s going on in Ukraine?  I get the feeling that between lies to superiors, lies to the public, bad intel, fog of war, and whatever else, none of them have an accurate picture of current situation or even all that’s happened in the past 6 weeks. 

I think they do "now", as ultimately did Hitler.  The problem was the selective intel leading up to the making of the decision.  That is what precipitated all of this.  Now they are committed to the gravity of the conflict and can't break free.  

So, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but what is the actually Russian nuclear ability?  That is to say, what must be done to their nuclear weapons and delivery systems to maintain them?  Has this been done or has the money to do so been syphoned away?

I'm not suggesting that we play nuclear chicken with them.  I am, however, asking for a realistic assessment of what their arsenal looks like right now, considering what we've seen of their vehicle reserves has a been a joke.  Chinese tires falling apart.  Medical kits from the 90s covered in mold.  Reserves tanks without any engines, etc.

Is there a chance that the nuclear threat is less than a threat than we realize?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but what is the actually Russian nuclear ability?  That is to say, what must be done to their nuclear weapons and delivery systems to maintain them?  Has this been done or has the money to do so been syphoned away?

I'm not suggesting that we play nuclear chicken with them.  I am, however, asking for a realistic assessment of what their arsenal looks like right now, considering what we've seen of their vehicle reserves has a been a joke.  Chinese tires falling apart.  Medical kits from the 90s covered in mold.  Reserves tanks without any engines, etc.

Is there a chance that the nuclear threat is less than a threat than we realize?  

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/nuke/R45861.pdf

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, sidis said:

One analyst has postulated that Russia may actually raise its nuclear threshold as it bolsters its conventional forces. According to this analyst, “It is difficult to understand why Russia would want to pursue military adventurism that would risk all-out confrontation with a technologically advanced and nuclear-armed adversary like NATO. While opportunistic, and possibly even reckless, the Putin regime does not appear to be suicidal.”165 As a study from the RAND Corporation noted, Russia has “invested considerable sums in developing and fielding long-range conventional strike weapons since the mid-2000s to provide Russian leadership with a buffer against reaching the nuclear threshold—a set of conventional escalatory options that can achieve strategic effects without resorting to nuclear weapons.”166 Others note, however, that Russia has integrated these “conventional precision weapons and nuclear weapons into a single strategic weapon set,” lending credence to the view that Russia may be prepared to employ, or threaten to employ, nuclear weapons during a regional conflict.

48 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They have the largest arsenal in the world.  Both on land, and at sea.  They operate and have been operating nuke subs for decades and yes, they work.  They are not toothless in this capacity.  

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Idk how much longer it's acceptable for us to sit on the sidelines while Russia is straight up killing civilians. This isn't a war anymore it's genocide due to losing the war. 

They have already backed off from the nuclear threat and opened up the possibility for us to eradicate them from inside of Ukraine, just not pursue into Russian territory. It seems like it's quickly approaching go time for this and maybe that's what all the UN posturing is about. 

If china wants to start WW3 to defend genocide then WW3 was inevitable. 

It's definitely Genocide. 

Article II
In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with
intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as
such:

(a) Killing members of the group;

Mass Graves in Bucha

(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

I mean, duh. 

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its
physical destruction in whole or in part;

Russia State agency declares desire to exterminate Ukrainians

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

No evidence yet. 

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
Ukrainian Children taken and sent to Russia

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It's definitely Genocide. 

Article II
In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with
intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as
such:

(a) Killing members of the group;

Mass Graves in Bucha

(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

I mean, duh. 

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its
physical destruction in whole or in part;

Russia State agency declares desire to exterminate Ukrainians

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

No evidence yet. 

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
Ukrainian Children taken and sent to Russia

Right, and I feel like we have to step in and let the world know that genocide is not acceptable full stop. I mean when the Pope starts calling the UN Impotent, it's basically an invitation for the world to do the right thing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They have the largest arsenal in the world.  Both on land, and at sea.  They operate and have been operating nuke subs for decades and yes, they work.  They are not toothless in this capacity.  

I wouldn't be surprised to learn their land based ICBMs are in poor shape. It's the subs that scare me. 

43 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn their land based ICBMs are in poor shape. It's the subs that scare me. 

Ours are also in poor shape, but even with a 90% failure rate, it's still possibly world ending.  Not something you play "chicken" with

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Uighars say, "hello."

And that's a real issue.  Using "genocide" as a threshold for intervention is going to raise Chinese hackles, since the State Department officially declared that China was committing genocide against the Uighars.  The implication would be that we could use China's ongoing genocide as a basis for military action against that country.  Obviously, China is going to strongly oppose that.

I mean, we can calmly explain to China that the genocide-is-a-causus-belli theory only holds for white European Christians, and will not be apply when it is non-white, non-European, non-Christians that are being genocided.  In that case, we'll just send a strongly worded letter.  

But do you think China would really be mollified by that explanation (no matter how accurate it actually is)?

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

You just know that his buddies were hollering at him to run somewhere else.  Dumb fuck.

The article is pretty cool.  They trick out basic drones to look "scary", and the undisciplined soldiers run back to base to get support, thus identifying where the larger force is and attacked,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They really took credit until word got out

Really hope that any government mouthpieces are included as part of the war crimes. This intentional disinformation needs to be stopped. While not enforceable right now, maybe after a few years some of these assholes get careless and take a vacation in the west only to be scooped up and delivered straight to the Hague.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And that's a real issue.  Using "genocide" as a threshold for intervention is going to raise Chinese hackles, since the State Department officially declared that China was committing genocide against the Uighars.  The implication would be that we could use China's ongoing genocide as a basis for military action against that country.  Obviously, China is going to strongly oppose that.

I mean, we can calmly explain to China that the genocide-is-a-causus-belli theory only holds for white European Christians, and will not be apply when it is non-white, non-European, non-Christians that are being genocided.  In that case, we'll just send a strongly worded letter.  

But do you think China would really be mollified by that explanation (no matter how accurate it actually is)?

Agree, but another difference is the extensive documentation through camera phones, social media, and the internet, available to the world's eyes in the midst of Russia's attempt at Ukrainian extermination.  There's just not that kind of capability to view China's current ongoing genocide.  It makes a big difference in global perception and response.

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree, but another difference is the extensive documentation through camera phones, social media, and the internet, available to the world's eyes in the midst of Russia's attempt at Ukrainian extermination.  There's just not that kind of capability to view China's current ongoing genocide.  It makes a big difference in global perception and response.

And China makes most of the crap we use.  How many of us are typing away on tech manufactured by essentially Chinese slave/indentured labor?

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Just as Germany needs to eliminate its dependence on Russian oil, the US and the rest of the world need to eliminate our dependence on Chinese manufacturing.

In Germany's case it's really tough, because even if we could get to the point where the US could replace all of the Russian natural gas with American LNG, the cost would still be significantly higher for them to purchase LNG from us in place of natural gas from Russia.

But China is no longer really a low cost manufacturing nation.  It would take time and legal wrangling to extricate our American manufacturing lines from the Chinese geography, but the cost differential wouldn't be overwhelming and honestly, it could end up as a good guy for American manufacturing.  It would certainly end up being positive for American security.

It would take decades and multiple administrations to accomplish.  While I agree, I'm skeptical.  It would also take Americans accepting a higher price point on many items.  While not astronomical, many every items would be more expensive.  

• Hook 'Em 2