Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I'm not sure that I understand why they don't just pay for the gas in Rubles.  Yes, it would help prop up Russia's currency, but It is my understanding that the effect would not be that great.  I know making payments in Rubles would be more difficult, but aren't there some exceptions for energy payments so that it wouldn't be impossible.  In addition, wouldn't it deprive the Russian suppliers of a source of hard foreign currency?  I'm no international financier

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Probably not a great idea to publish

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah, that was my first thought.

The Russians already know that we are feeding them all kinds of near real-time intelligence.

But if they didn't, this will just make them even more paranoid, and given their shitty communications systems, if they try to account for Western intelligence-gathering, it'll just make it harder on Russian troops - units maybe left out of vital communications because they don't have the right gear, or they may not be told of certain plans until the last second, or by physical courier, which means that timing has to be perfect.  And so far, nothing about Russian timing is even close to perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure that I understand why they don't just pay for the gas in Rubles.  Yes, it would help prop up Russia's currency, but It is my understanding that the effect would not be that great.  I know making payments in Rubles would be more difficult, but aren't there some exceptions for energy payments so that it wouldn't be impossible.  In addition, wouldn't it deprive the Russian suppliers of a source of hard foreign currency?  I'm no international financier

As long as the payer gets to establish the exchange rate, let Vlad FAFO.

1 ruble = €0.00350.

3 hours ago, 27-25 said:

Moldova just submitted their first questionnaire for EU membership.  I don't recall seeing an application for NATO membership.

My understanding is that Sweden and Finland get what amounts of Article 5 protection once their application for NATO membership is submitted.  But I don't think those applications have been filed, though they are expected soon.

Like Ukraine has since 2014, Moldova also has Russian troops in their territory, and therefore were never eligible to be a NATO member.  One of the basic requirements is basically that they not be engaged in an active war within their borders, even if it's not of their own doing, they must have sovereignty over their borders, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As we well know (cough, cough, sanctions), economics are a weapon.  Russia is now deploying its greatest weapon.  Europe allowed itself to be held hostage by Russian petroleum products.  Now shit gets real.  Who screams for mercy first?

Russia wouldn't be doing this if it didn't see a real risk of losing the military fight.  And this is a powerful - and potentially effective - weapon.  Shit's going to get rough in Poland, Bulgaria, maybe Germany, maybe other places.  On the other hand, Russia is going to lose a lot of revenue.  While its troops get their asses kicked.  But the rest of Russia will tolerate as much pain as Putin tells them to.  And Putin can tolerate a LOT of other people in pain.

Maybe not even a pyrrhic victory for Russia - more of a last gasp.

The days of Russian oil & gas flowing into Western Europe in large quantities are coming to an end, it's just a matter of when. Most, if not all, European nations were already working to get off of Russian imports this year after the invasion, because none of the European nations want to be beholden to Russia under Putin.

It's going to take Putin being out of office, along with most of his cronies, before the EU/NATO wants to rely with Russian energy, and by the time that happens, things may have tilted so far the other way (more nuclear power, more deals with US/Canada/Middle East, etc.) that Russia won't be able to get its nose in the tent.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is amusing - Russian cratering empty fields because NATO intelligence has been helping the Ukrainians.  will also mean that Russia will second-guess all of their missile attacks, which means physical verification, which means delays, etc. to missile attacks.

Meanwhile this is significiant

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Unsurprising, and there's been reports for a while that Ukraine was using them less and less, at least for sensitive stuff, because there were questions about the Chinese being able to access information from the drones, and passing it on to the Russians.  This could simply be China not wanting to damage DJI's reputation world-wide by favoring one side or another.

Bryansk. Nobody is going to put out. It turns out that they cannot put out the tank farm, because it has not yet burned out, because. fresh oil constantly flows through the pipe

Vice-President of Gazprombank Igor Volobuev left for Ukraine, joined the defense and called the death of top manager Avaev a murder

^whoa, what!? That's one way to quit your company.

30 separate mechanized brigade. Prince Constantine of Ostroh destroyed a tank of racists with the help of domestic anti-RPG "Stugna-P".
Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Russia has never heard of a valve?

I remember reading a few years back that Ukraine could cut their natural gas use a ton if they had the ability to regulate heat but most dwellings the Soviet era heating was either on or off, so maybe they haven’t? 

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Isn't that exactly how central heat/air works?  It's either on or off.  Turning your thermostat to 60 doesn't make the air blow any colder, nor does turning it to 90 make your heat blow any hotter.

Incorrect. The new heat pumps with electronic expansion valves have as little as 12 steps and as many as 1000 for power consumption. 

Not to getting all tinfoil hat here, but is it possible that the sudden cutoff of oil/gas from the pipelines is due to the fact that all the sabotage happening in Russia has damaged enough of the pumping infrastructure that they were going to have to tell Europe that they were not going to have to meet demand expectations due to infrastructure issues?

Is it better to cut them off from a position of strength than to admit you are not able to meet demand because of sabotage/the Ukrainian army?

So to put in Surmy terms it would be like kicking out the hooker by saying he’s an ugly skank instead having to admit you can’t get it up.