Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

21 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

That's apparently a (poorly maintained) BMP instead of a tank.  It was probably also carrying some infantry, although it could have been some weirdo air defense or whatever variant.  Dude has other videos showing it after it was knocked out and before he was captured. 

E:  He's also really calm in the other one I've seen, even with blown up body parts around him, his vehicle still smoking behind him, and Ukranian troops nearby. By "nearby," I mean he's recording them with his phone while they're walking by.  It's in that Reddit thread.

I guess that I can't understand not making sure that every weapon in reach is in perfect working order and ready for immediate use in a combat zone.  I hope the Rushist bastards keep to that low standard.

• Hook 'Em 3

I guess that I can't understand not making sure that every weapon in reach is in perfect working order and ready for immediate use in a combat zone.  I hope the Rushist bastards keep to that low standard.

Those yachts don’t pay for themselves
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

That's apparently a (poorly maintained) BMP instead of a tank.  It was probably also carrying some infantry, although it could have been some weirdo air defense or whatever variant.  Dude has other videos showing it after it was knocked out and before he was captured. 

E:  He's also really calm in the other one I've seen, even with blown up body parts around him, his vehicle still smoking behind him, and Ukranian troops nearby. By "nearby," I mean he's recording them with his phone while they're walking by.  It's in that Reddit thread.

Looked like a BMP 3 or 4 from the main armament.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Right?  Granted, shit definitely happens, and this could have been shit happening, but with how much of a clusterfuck this whole thing has been on the Russian side I'm with you in assuming "poorly maintained."

• Hook 'Em 1

If Russia does invade Poland, I expect that the Polish Army will polish them off pretty quickly. 

I read that they committed approximately 65% of their ground power to the invasion of Ukraine.  That portion has lost between 25% and 30% of those forces, and they can't make progress against Ukraine with what they have left, let alone occupy and defend what they have taken for long.  Add in their depletion of their ballistic and cruise missile stocks, and the fact that they would face extremely effective air attacks, and there's no way they really believe that they can successfully invade Poland.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If this was true, I got $48 for "NowThis feels your pain" "FUCK OU", "His name is Daniel Figurelli" and "Your children will be raised by fat middle-aged Americans who are banging your widows in houses with running water and electricity".  I'm still working on that last one.

EABOD Putin & Stoops

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If this was true, I got $48 for "NowThis feels your pain" "FUCK OU", "His name is Daniel Figurelli" and "Your children will be raised by fat middle-aged Americans who are banging your widows in houses with running water and electricity".  I'm still working on that last one.

17 minutes ago, Fico said:

EABOD Putin & Stoops

CJK5H

MULEDICK

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dual serious illnesses/coups in parallel in China and Russia would be......not great.  Massive instability in both countries (both large nuclear powers) at once makes for a dangerous situation globally.

You go on worrying about instability while I drink in celebration.

2 hours ago, 686 said:

For some reason, all of your links are busted-ass lookin' to me.

33 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Some of them look like 60mm mortar rounds, others look like RPG rounds, and others look like anti personnel grenades.  All of them that I have seen look like they are contact fused.  If they could use VT fuses on mortar rounds from those, life in trenches would really suck.

Can you explain how the contact fuse works? Is there a little cap in there that pops when it gets smooshed?

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

Can you explain how the contact fuse works? Is there a little cap in there that pops when it gets smooshed?

Pretty much.  On the mortar and grenade types, the impact of the nose cap drives a striker into a primer causing a detonation chain similar to that of a bullet, although it usually has an additional explosive element between the primer and the main explosive.  On the RPG rounds, and some others, the impact of the nose of the round triggers a piezoelectric charge that sets off the shaped explosive charge that gives the round its armor penetrating capability.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-annexation-occupied-ukraine-putin’s-unacceptable-“-ramp”

ISW believes Putin will push to annex the occupied areas of Ukraine and then threaten nuclear attack to protect "Russian territory."

I feel like if they decide to go nuclear, they're not gonna need a "diplomatic" reason. They're either gonna do it as a last ditch fuck it all who gives a fuck because now we're all dead reason,  or they won't do it at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-annexation-occupied-ukraine-putin’s-unacceptable-“-ramp”

ISW believes Putin will push to annex the occupied areas of Ukraine and then threaten nuclear attack to protect "Russian territory."

There have been direct attacks on legitimate Russian soil and no nukes were launched, and I think he knows, regardless of Russian doctrine, that nukes change everything.   Otherwise he would have already used said nukes earlier in his three-day war, when Russia had a lot more territory under its control.  He would not have retreated from Kyiv and Kharkiv if he was serious about using nukes.

And if he were to launch tactical nukes in Ukraine, I think the sanctions game plan goes from sanctions on Russia to sanctions on countries doing business with Russia.  I also think the Turks close down the straits completely to Russian shipping.  And Moldova may work with Ukraine to get those Russians out, and you might see other CIS members bail.

The End Endgame GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I still don’t fully agree with Peter Zeihan’s take that this is primarily about Russia securing invasion routes from Western Europe, but it’s interesting how much this parallels Afghanistan.  A lot of that was driven by securing/stabilizing their southern border, especially given their issues with the Chinese, and with the Warsaw Pact having problems in the 1980s.

They needed to have Afghanistan squared away as a buffer with a pro-Russian government, so that they could focus more resources towards China and NATO.  They were nervous about Afghanistan being either a shit show that could generate chaos among the Muslims in the border Soviet states, or just leaving an insecure flank in general.  

Also, if Putin was working on annexing areas, he needs to shift his missiles and bombing missions to 100% supporting the Russian troops in those areas, rather than fucking around like Hitler with England and hitting civilian targets that had no military value and that just pissed the Brits off, bought them time to build up, and depleted German aircraft and experienced pilots.

• Hook 'Em 3

Another Russian heavy weapon here for interest’s sake. 240mm mortar they are using against Azovstal. supposedly has guided projectiles, which maybe that’s the 3pieces popping off to allow fins to deploy off that big damn shell. Hope the UA finds a way to get the Azov people out or push the Russians out very soon. Feels like Azovstal is their Alamo to some degree. They have held on for an amazingly long time.

f70d5119fd38641ff03fea5bc6085ee1.jpg

Sentiment may be shifting in China. Former ambassador to Ukraine gave some opinions on the war and they don't follow Xi's current narrative. Article was taken down by censors but interesting to see if a different perspective is brewing. Especially interesting are some ideas on the new international world order after Russia's defeat with predictions for a reformed UN or even possibly a new international council if the West can't get the desired changes. Not sure how likely that all is but something to keep in mind as there will be some severe geopolitical shifts once the post-pandemic, post-war, post-recession trifecta circulates across the globe.

https://gaodawei.wordpress.com/2022/05/10/fmr-prc-amb-to-ukraine-on-russias-impending-defeat-and-international-relations/

• Hook 'Em 5

yes.
to me, the way the grenades in these videos is always moving around before release, I imagine it's Curious George strapped to the bottom of the drone, grenade in hand, tongue in the corner of his mouth, eyeballing the target.
I was thinking a slightly drunk dude strspped to a drone, your version is better. Adjusted for Furious George.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Taiwan is the big winner. Western weapons are doing so much better than Russki weapons. PRC depends on Russian weapon tech (fun fact- there are only a few nations with the capability to design a jet engine. China isn’t one. Their new fighters have engines made in China, from Russian designs). You know China is pausing to reflect on their poor choice of weapons. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So just throwing this out there... does China decide to take a territorial bite out of Russia's eastern ass after all of this is over and Russia has no military left? And would anyone do anything about it? 

They won’t have to take shit by force. They’ll just extract brutal concessions from a cash-starved, desperate Russia and effectively own it.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They won’t have to take shit by force. They’ll just extract brutal concessions from a cash-starved, desperate Russia and effectively own it.

This. Why buy the cow and have to feed and take care of it when you can get the milk for pennies on the dollar

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the Russians purchased these via a bunch of fronts.

We did the same to buy Russian titanium for the SR-71 during the Cold War.

Or maybe not. Luxottica makes almost all of the world's eyeglasses. There was a great 60 Minutes episode on it probably about 10 years ago. My guess is the night vision stuff comes from there. They already are multinational so they could probably just send it to their Russian office. Politicians may not have to be involved but I am sure they have a bunch of Italian politicians in their pockets.

Or maybe not. Luxottica makes almost all of the world's eyeglasses. There was a great 60 Minutes episode on it probably about 10 years ago. My guess is the night vision stuff comes from there. They already are multinational so they could probably just send it to their Russian office. Politicians may not have to be involved but I am sure they have a bunch of Italian politicians in their pockets.

This is also a completely plausible explanation.

Ukraine could soon receive advanced ship-killing missiles with a 400-kilometre range that would prove a “game-changer” for the battle to control the Black Sea, military analysts have told The National. Link

Israel agreed to Estonia's request to equip Ukraine with the Blue Spear (5G SSM) land-to-sea missile system, Ukrainian journalist Rostyslav Demchuk reported on Friday. Link

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That explains why they all suffer from hull cracking and have been placed under speed restrictions and prohibited from operating in any high seas

Not the LCS, brand new class of ships, granted will be built at the same facility as the Freedom class. Some of the blowback from the massive LCS shitfest is using a design that is already developed and operating. 

• Like 1