So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

41 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

If anyone is still dumb enough to polish the resume of the worst coach in Texas’ history I recommend you get on YouTube and rewatch:

1. 2014 BYU 41-7 loss

2. 2014 UCLA both halves deferred special 

3. 2014 KSU shutout

4. 2014 TCU 48-10 massacre

5. 2014 Texas Bowl 59 yard offense special

6. 2015 ND opener “new and improved” spread offense special 

7. 2015 TCU 50-0 in 3rd qtr

8. 2015 Iowa fucking State shutout loss

9. 2016 Cal dropping 50 on Charlie’s 3rd year defense special 

10. 2016 OSU 3 fucking extra points blocked 

11. 2016 Kansas’ first win over a Big12 team in 2 years 

We can talk after you’re done with that.

Charlie Strong was clearly not the answer as our (or apparently any D-1 team’s) coach, but it’s hard to lay the 2014 performance on him given the dogshit roster/injuries he had to deal with right off the bat.

People keep bringing up the UCLA game where we kicked off to start both halves, but the same thing happened under Mack at Arkansas the year before we won the national title.  You can tell the dudes what to do all day, but in the end the 20-somethings have to walk out to midfield and not do something dumb.

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Dude, he's already had six go in one draft, and Collin Johnson projects as a first-rounder. 

In your own reality he projects as a first rounder. In the real world, the one you fail to live in he is not projected to be a first rounder. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/31/2019 at 11:45 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Why did you support that retarded coach who was the worst coach in our long history so long?  Because he is black.  That is racism.  So fuck off.  

We all supported him when he got here.

if you are able to use your search function, you’ll see I advocated for Charlie to be fired. I’m also currently advocating for Shaka to be fired.

so it’s not clear what your point is, although knowing you I can take a guess 

I gave up on Charlie Strong on October 31, 2015, when we got our asses demolished by a terrible Iowa State team. This was three weeks after beating OU.

It ruined Halloween. The final score was 24-0 but it was much worse than that. We were 3-5 at that point and finished 5-7. Iowa State finished 3-9. What did Northern Iowa, Kansas, and Texas have in common that year? All got dusted by Iowa State.

Charlie Strong didn't deserve a third year, and I was pissed when he wasn't fired after the Baylor game.

I had actually forgotten about him. Funny what a Sugar Bowl victory can do. Thanks for reminding me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

If anyone is still dumb enough to polish the resume of the worst coach in Texas’ history I recommend you get on YouTube and rewatch:

1. 2014 BYU 41-7 loss

3. 2014 KSU shutout

It’s a tough list to get through.  Lotta perspective there on how bad it was. 

Nobody on this board didn’t want CS to succeed, because that would’ve meant our beloved Horns didn’t succeed!

He was/is a great man, but IMO the “job” of being the HC at UT brought with it more than he could handle. If it was just coaching X and Os, as well as recruiting, it’d been right for him. His first staff wasn’t sufficient to help him not be as hands-on as he wanted, so he suffered. It was all downhill after that.

So, I understand that USF has only been playing football since 1997. Not exactly an historic program.
But! We need to congratulate Coach Potato on working his way into the USF record book in just this, his 3rd year.
A Potato coached USF team just suffered the worst loss in USF history.
Nicely done! Well played sir.
Usf was good when jim leavett was there and cheating his ass off.

Oh and University of SOUTH Florida is in CENTRAL Florida so it is NOT Florida Directional it is Florida Misdirectional.

As far as chuckles goes he seems utterly clueless. And being so is a perfect fit at USF.

It appears that after USF got whacked yesterday  that Charlie really isn't a good HC after all and UT made the right decision to let him go. I do wish him well though..For all his faults, Charlie Strong never told fans to just live with it(unlike some former UT Coach did on Sept 12,1997). For those who wanted Mack to continue after the 2013 Season, I really don't know what to say to you.  His program imploded on the night of January 8,2010 and he refused to recognize it.  It was time for him to go.

2 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

It appears that after USF got whacked yesterday  that Charlie really isn't a good HC after all and UT made the right decision to let him go. I do wish him well though..For all his faults, Charlie Strong never told fans to just live with it(unlike some former UT Coach did on Sept 12,1997). For those who wanted Mack to continue after the 2013 Season, I really don't know what to say to you.  His program imploded on the night of January 8,2010 and he refused to recognize it.  It was time for him to go.

Whom do you think you’re addressing? Empty set is empty. Chad, Brad, whoever— is that you?

11 hours ago, BigSwingingD said:

We are arguing about which is worse - Herpes Simplex 10 or a banana in the tailpipe. 

Surly on...

Hook'em 

wow

it says here that by the time the average man is 40, he has seven pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Whom do you think you’re addressing? Empty set is empty. Chad, Brad, whoever— is that you?

Not addressing anyone in particular though I do sometimes get the vibe that some UT people wanted Mack to continue until he decided to retire.

The whole purpose of eating red meat is to prepare for the long winters and the next famine. In late October, about the time the agi roller coaster takes to the air,  head for the rack. You should wake up around Mardi Gras, fifteen pounds lighter. The Way is shown to you, there is no one but yourself to blame if noxious gases issue from your nethers after the Spring Equinox.

I gave up on Charlie Strong on October 31, 2015, when we got our asses demolished by a terrible Iowa State team. This was three weeks after beating OU.

Of the many STRONG contenders, that probably ranks as my low point of the CS era. We got utterly dominated by a bad team.
At least we were in the KU game and there was the consolation of putting a nail in the coffin of CS as Texas’ HC.
I was Trick or Treating with the kids listening to the game stream praying we’d flip the switch and get back in it. Fuck No! Not a CS team! Total ass kicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. 2014 BYU 41-7 loss
3. 2014 KSU shutout

Lol at that fucking list. Any one of those embarrassments could be considered the worst loss of any 2-3 year period of an average team. Charlie Strong averaged three of those humiliations per season. I still have a hard time believing we lived through that nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Not addressing anyone in particular though I do sometimes get the vibe that some UT people wanted Mack to continue until he decided to retire.
There was a lot of dumb shit about that. He deserved to decide when to hang it up because he won a championship with VY. Doesn’t make a bit of sense.

At least we were in the KU game and there was the consolation of putting a nail in the coffin of CS as Texas’ HC.

Messed up reading this on the football board.

6 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

I'm glad Charlie is gone but let's not forget a couple of things about Mack in his last year's here:

1. Remember when Mack told recruits to pick another school, during a fucking team banquet, because he wouldn't be at Texas. 

2. When Earl Campbell suggested it might be time to go with Head Coach, Mack told him he was "still welcome" around the program. Earl Fucking Campbell

3. Missed on every Heisman QB coming out of Texas because he thought they were fucking DB's. 

4. Was still being paid fuck you money while not doing shit for The University. 

Totally with you on 1-3, especially 2.

But, come on, 4? He was busy selling cuhSEEtuhs.

11 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

Usf was good when jim leavett was there and cheating his ass off.

Oh and University of SOUTH Florida is in CENTRAL Florida so it is NOT Florida Directional it is Florida Misdirectional.

As far as chuckles goes he seems utterly clueless. And being so is a perfect fit at USF.

No geography mistakes getting by Surly. 

13 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

1. 2014 BYU 41-7 loss

3. 2014 KSU shutout

1-4 - I was thinking "well ok, that sucks but first year it'll take some time to iron it out"

#5 - I was thinking "holy shit, what the fuck? 59 yards after all of the bowl preparation". That's when I officially became worried.

#6 - I remember Burt's awesome catch in the beginning of the game and nothing else, tequila. I do remember watching how pissed Ricky was in the postgame though.  

#10 - The 3 blocked XPs were so ridiculous it was silly. That's one I couldn't even be mad at, I was like "fuck it". I actually started laughing at the absurdity of the spectacle. I think that's the one that broke me, I went from being pissed to not giving a shit. 

By the time we got to #11 on that list I wasn't angry anymore, it was more like a quiet reservation. The loss to Kansas felt like the moment when you're holding your dog one final time as the vet puts the needle in his arm, that was the death knell of Charlie at Texas. 

Looking back, I don't know how the fuck we managed to keep our sanity during that stretch. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

1. 2014 BYU 41-7 loss

3. 2014 KSU shutout

#2....ugh...the biggest display of dumbfuckery I’ve ever witnessed live.   UCLA was handing Chuck the game and he decided to just bumblefuck it all away.

I remember some knowitall alumni telling me it will be fine and Charlie is a great coach and just give it some time.   Well screw you asshole if you’re on here.  

For a lot of the arguments made against Strong, particularly in the early going, there was an equally forceful counterargument, at least as pertains to collateral issues or matters (e.g. anything but W-L record).

I initially favored the "counter" position as I thought many of the early arguments were unfair.  I also was unwilling to believe that Strong sucked as badly as he proved to.  It was and still is fairly mind-bottling.

But it is what it is, and whatever it is, Charles ain't got it.

The whole purpose of eating red meat is to prepare for the long winters and the next famine. In late October, about the time the agi roller coaster takes to the air,  head for the rack. You should wake up around Mardi Gras, fifteen pounds lighter. The Way is shown to you, there is no one but yourself to blame if noxious gases issue from your nethers after the Spring Equinox.
Wat?

agi?

Your a swandered sock aint you?

Wat?

agi?

Your a swandered sock aint you?

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I don't think he was as great of a man as people perceived him to be. Wasn't he mentioned as the other man in a divorce?

Yup. Although sadly, he never had to testify. Would have been some gold in there for sure. According to the msg board rumor mill, Strong spends his fair share of nights in the doghouse while in Austin. Think I read something about him sleeping in his office sometimes.

He also loved blaming assistant coaches for his endless incompetence.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For a lot of the arguments made against Strong, particularly in the early going, there was an equally forceful counterargument, at least as pertains to collateral issues or matters (e.g. anything but W-L record).

I initially favored the "counter" position as I thought many of the early arguments were unfair.  I also was unwilling to believe that Strong sucked as badly as he proved to.  It was and still is fairly mind-bottling.

But it is what it is, and whatever it is, Charles ain't got it.

Yeah I wanted him to be good strongly enough that I allowed my judgment to be clouded early on.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

the two last holdouts in the charlie wars were cdt and sweet jones.  sweet jones = maybe a coordinator, and I have him on ignore.  I haven't found cdt yet - he thankfully may not post here anymore.  

16 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

There was also a poster called “P.” in that club

Holy shit the trifecta of dumbest posters in the history of shaggy/surly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I admit I chugged the Kool aid early on.  We're getting a hard nosed disciplinarian, just what we need after cookies and orange slices, yada yada yada.

I live in the Midwest and actually went to South Bend, Manhattan and Ames for each of those fiascos.  After Ames I just checked out.  When Iowa State fans avoid eye contact because they feel sorry for you, you know you've hit rock bottom.

I think @Cajun‘s “you gotta tear it down before you build a foundation of bricks” metaphors were my favorite. Like taking a mediocre team and making it suck complete ass was all part of the master plan.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

There was also a poster called “P.” in that club

He’s still around as @Thatguy. He’s in this thread blaming QB injuries on the historic six game losing streak last season. Vintage P.

My favorite talking point of his on Shaggy was his tale of traveling the country for work and polling scores of people all over on their views about the Charlie Strong/Texas dichotomy. IIRC, basically every black person across America had a fully formed opinion on Charlie Strong, and didn’t understand why he wasn’t getting a fair shake in Austin. 

Then he got fired and even Bomani Jones agreed it was time for him to go.