So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

13 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Yes, but, looking back.... Thank God for Kansas.

Lots of bizarre shit surrounding that game, not least of which was @hayden_horn‘s anger at anyone pointing out it was a necessary and good thing for the program. He was the drunk guy getting dragged out of the bar that wanted to fight anyone. Friend, foe, man, woman...didn’t matter. Fisticuffs.

9 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Lots of bizarre shit surrounding that game, not least of which was @hayden_horn‘s anger at anyone pointing out it was a necessary and good thing for the program. He was the drunk guy getting dragged out of the bar that wanted to fight anyone. Friend, foe, man, woman...didn’t matter. Fisticuffs.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. I thought i saw something there that wasn't there. Reckon that happens to all of us from time to time. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Yes, but, looking back.... Thank God for Kansas.

This isn’t even a bad or painful memory for me. In the moment, it was a comedic masterpiece.  Charlie Chaplin in his prime couldn’t have delivered such a brilliant blend of satire, slapstick, and truth. Now, with the benefit of time, the feelings associated with being a national embarrassment  have faded, and the memory of that game conjures nothing but pure joy. It was a great day for Texas Football.  Thank you, Coach Strong.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

This isn’t even a bad or painful memory for me. In the moment, it was a comedic masterpiece.  Charlie Chaplin in his prime couldn’t have delivered such a brilliant blend of satire, slapstick, and truth. Now, with the benefit of time, the feelings associated with being a national embarrassment  have faded, and the memory of that game conjures nothing but pure joy. It was a great day for Texas Football.  Thank you, Coach Strong.

I was stupidly still on the Charlie train up until that game.  

On 9/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, Tex Pete said:

Fuck their fans. We’ve been paying most of that clown’s salary while he destroys their football program. 

you know wha tis so funny though?  we were on the hook for only 2 years.  Had they fired him last year his buyout would have been the average of what USF has paid in him salary x remaining years.  they paid him like 500k.  they could have fired him for 1.5 mil.  This year they're paying his full salary so they will have to pay him full freight on two years when they run him off after this season.  hahahahahaha.  should have pulled the plug last year, dip shits.  like the old saying goes, never put of until tomorrow what you know should be done today.  

I was fine with the hire at the time as long as he hired a great staff.  The moment he brought shawn twatson along his tenure here was over before it started.  you cannot bring a guy to run an offense in an offense driven league who was fired from two of the worst offenses in the conference previously.  it also didn't help that he brought a DC who'd been fired for sucking as DC at Okie Aggy. Charlie was doomed to fail when he hired his staff.  Never mind he was also dumb enough to kick off to start both halves of a game and decline penalties when the opposition had made a first down.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I was fine with the hire at the time as long as he hired a great staff.  The moment he brought shawn twatson along his tenure here was over before it started.  you cannot bring a guy to run an offense in an offense driven league who was fired from two of the worst offenses in the conference previously.  it also didn't help that he brought a DC who'd been fired for sucking as DC at Okie Aggy. Charlie was doomed to fail when he hired his staff.  Never mind he was also dumb enough to kick off to start both halves of a game and decline penalties when the opposition had made a first down.  

This...and as I recall the talent pool of know commodity coaches willing to move was pretty thin.  Franklin would have been better but he had baggage.  We dodged the Briles bullet if he was even under serious consideration at all.  Saban was probably a pipe dream, and we were not hiring a coordinator with no HC experience.  Charlie seemed like a good fit to rid the program of the entitlement bug.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:00 AM, Bookman said:

Never forget:

At ISU I couldn't believe that buffoon didn't kick a field goal.

I watched the end of the Kansas game at Willie's Grill & Icehouse in Sugar Land as I had just flown into town for my mom's birthday.  She was scared I was going to be mad but I told her I was happy because it likely meant the end of the "Strong" era which turned out to be worse than anything I could have fathomed.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 12:18 PM, CurlyDumps said:

When I watched the Texas captains walk to the middle of the field for the OT coin toss, I looked at their expressions and I said to my father “I have not seen that expression since January 3rd 1993.”

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know about anybody else, but I am seriously hoping that he figures something out this year and saves his job. I would absolutely love to play that idiot next season. The more time that passes on his tenure here, the more fucking irritating his incompetence was. 

This.  This right here.  I want that so bad.  

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

We dodged the Briles bullet if he was even under serious consideration at all.  

Briles was never considered.  He lied and said he was to leverage more money out of Baylor.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

He was once Mack fucked that up.

President Powers was doing Mack's bidding, that's correct; however, Powers didn't want there to be any mistake that the Tower was ultimately calling the shots insofar as the football program.  He saw Saban as a threat to that scenario.  So, it was a win-win for both.  Thereafter Patterson ultimately went on a Dodds-esq "nationwide coaching search" and zeroed in on Strong without much consideration for anyone else- just as Deloss did with Mackovic.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:20 AM, hayden_horn said:

When you're wrong, you're wrong. I thought i saw something there that wasn't there. Reckon that happens to all of us from time to time. 

That was your white guilt social warrior justice side coming through.  

I don’t give one fuck what color our coach is.  I want the ones who win kept and the ones who lose gone.  

A big contingency of our fan base was afraid to call Strong what he was — an idiot and a terrible coach — until long after those facts were clearly established.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This...and as I recall the talent pool of know commodity coaches willing to move was pretty thin.  Franklin would have been better but he had baggage.  We dodged the Briles bullet if he was even under serious consideration at all.  Saban was probably a pipe dream, and we were not hiring a coordinator with no HC experience.  Charlie seemed like a good fit to rid the program of the entitlement bug.

Plus, Charlie had a great resume’. 2 National Championships as a DC and Louisville was a hot team under him. No reason he would be considered a bad hire when he came to Texas. No reason for anyone to doubt he would not work out. 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They are gonna go 2-10 this year. There is no way he survives. 

I have them at 3-9 assuming they'll beat UConn and East Carolina. But they're absolutely going to be within a range where you have to make a change if you want your fans and BMDs to take the program seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Plus, Charlie had a great resume’. 2 National Championships as a DC and Louisville was a hot team under him. No reason he would be considered a bad hire when he came to Texas. No reason for anyone to doubt he would not work out. 

I felt the same way.  

Until he brought along Shawn Watson. And then I took a hard look at his game by game results at UL.  And then I got depressed.  But I thought we would at a minimum he’d field an elite defense.  Because he had a damn good track record at that.  

I was wrong.  And 100 percent knew it against Notre Dame.  

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

But I thought we would at a minimum he’d field an elite defense.  Because he had a damn good track record at that.

I think this is where the majority of reasonable Texas fans were at the time. We didn't expect a whole lot offensively, but hell, we're Texas... which means an elite defense ought to be able to win a shit-ton of ball games, right?

Yeah, we were all wrong. Red was right. Who knew? Of course, in defense of those who love hyperbole, Red probably should have run his public commentary through someone in the PR department first...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I think this is where the majority of reasonable Texas fans were at the time. We didn't expect a whole lot offensively, but hell, we're Texas... which means an elite defense ought to be able to win a shit-ton of ball games, right?

Yeah, we were all wrong. Red was right. Who knew? Of course, in defense of those who love hyperbole, Red probably should have run his public commentary through someone in the PR department first...

I think Red was mad because he wasn’t consulted.  I don’t think given his history with John Lucas and Dennis Green coaching his pro teams that his comments about Strong had anything to do with race.

I also think Red wanted to hire Gruden. Which also would have been a disaster  

• Like 3

you know wha tis so funny though?  we were on the hook for only 2 years.  Had they fired him last year his buyout would have been the average of what USF has paid in him salary x remaining years.  they paid him like 500k.  they could have fired him for 1.5 mil.  This year they're paying his full salary so they will have to pay him full freight on two years when they run him off after this season.  hahahahahaha.  should have pulled the plug last year, dip shits.  like the old saying goes, never put of until tomorrow what you know should be done today.  
Very aggy they are

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know about anybody else, but I am seriously hoping that he figures something out this year and saves his job. I would absolutely love to play that idiot next season. The more time that passes on his tenure here, the more fucking irritating his incompetence was. 

With all due respect ctj....

FUCK THAT INCOMPETENT STUPID SON OF A BITCH.

He set the program back years.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think Red was mad because he wasn’t consulted.  I don’t think given his history with John Lucas and Dennis Green coaching his pro teams that his comments about Strong had anything to do with race.

I also think Red wanted to hire Gruden. Which also would have been a disaster  

Agree. His intuition on Charlie was spot on. The guy is a multi billionaire for a reason. We probably should have listened.

Can we agree Gruden would have a better coach/CEO?

We all wanted Charlie to succeed. The job ate him alive. He needs one job...focused...managed...defensive coordinator.

No clue how he was generally successful at Louisville.  I know this...it aint no Texas.

We are light years away from the CS experiment. Thank God.

Hook'em.

I think I was out by Iowa State. It had nothing to do with race or any other bullshit like that. I just prefer coaches to get 3 years to turn a program around. I’ll never, ever cheer for Texas to lose. He was the wrong coach and it played out that way.

It would interesting to compare all the brilliant football minds that knew Strong wasn’t the right guy after year 1 with all the brilliant football minds that said Sam was a terrible, water on the brain, low football IQ quarterback.

• Like 1