So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

On 10/1/2019 at 6:13 AM, South Austin said:

You’ve only been watching Texas football since 2017?  We’ve got a lot to fill you in on.  For one thing, the players put Mack on their shoulders at Nebraska in 1998.

At this rate, why didn't somebody give Earl or Vince a piggyback ride off the field.

/this isn't actually a question.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, bschoolprof said:

I almost feel bad for USF.  Almost.

Still I can empathize.  Does this sound familiar anyone?  

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/9/29/20889353/usf-football-fire-charlie-strong-michael-kelly-losing-money-buyout-aac-smu-kerwin-bell-ucf-uconn-byu

So much of that sounds eerily familiar.  All the excuses.  All the hope against hope.  It almost reads like a grift. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

“Guys, I don’t know anything about this conversation but let me parachute in with zero context and tell all of you how to feel and behave!” 

Either catch up and give an informed contribution or fuck off. 

no way you are this obnoxious in real life.  no one can be.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7905561

Again, a throwaway response that doesn’t address your efforts to show up on an internet message board, volunteer to have having read nothing, and telling everyone how they should post and behave.  

Dude if you can’t realize why you’re the dense, rock-headed goon in this situation, we’ll have fun. Cute gif though. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ahem. This is absolutely an incorrect take, sir. 

I’ve met Syndney.  I like him, but I’ve been told I am quite the asshole myself.  Fuck those people though; they’re pussies.  The kind that tell you to let it go wrt Charlie Strong.  Fuck him.  I seriously started to question whether or not VY was a real person or if I just imagined winning the national title when I was in school.  To fail as badly as Strong did here with all the advantages.  I don’t have the words.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

not reading through 45 pages but what the fuck are you assholes arguing about?

charlie strong hasn't been the coach of texas for a few years.  let it go.  

Aggy hasn’t been in our conference for a hot minute, yet there’s a 475 page thread about them. This is what we do 

• Like 3

From my buddy in FL, they think the second secret contract thing was the way USF was able to get Texas to pay for his salary.  Again, not sure how reliable this is but supposedly the Texas contract specified that money paid by the university (even if backloaded like it was) would be taken out of his pay by Texas with a lot of provisions to avoid us getting screwed over, but Strong and USF got around that by having the USF Foundation pay for the vast majority of his contract.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

From my buddy in FL, they think the second secret contract thing was the way USF was able to get Texas to pay for his salary.  Again, not sure how reliable this is but supposedly the Texas contract specified that money paid by the university (even if backloaded like it was) would be taken out of his pay by Texas with a lot of provisions to avoid us getting screwed over, but Strong and USF got around that by having the USF Foundation pay for the vast majority of his contract.

Classy guy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Definitely sounds like the behavior of a good man. 

• Like 1

That sounds as dumb as giving a coach an oc title on paper only to avoid paying a buyout.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Definitely sounds like the behavior of a good man. 

We should have smoothed out the contract to its average value per year and paid the buyout based on that.  And then send a letter to him saying fuck you, sue us for the excess if you want, along with a copy of the court of appeals ruling against Mike Leach.

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

I hope this story isn't true and UT hires better lawyers than that.  A modestly competent drafter would never make that mistake.  I also wonder if that scenario (employed by the University, paid by the Foundation) creates wage withholding or non-profit tax issues.

10 minutes ago, Keef said:

I hope this story isn't true and UT hires better lawyers than that.  A modestly competent drafter would never make that mistake. 

What would our lawyers have done differently? You're asking them to anticipate and contractually negate the possibility of one kind of pretty unethical behavior-- I get it, they're lawyers, how could they not?-- but I'm not sure this is a contingency they would have seen as reasonable to expect.

<--- not a lawyer, no idea

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

What would our lawyers have done differently? You're asking them to anticipate and contractually negate the possibility of one kind of pretty unethical behavior-- I get it, they're lawyers, how could they not?-- but I'm not sure this is a contingency they would have seen as reasonable to expect.

<--- not a lawyer, no idea

You draft the definition of any future university employer to include any and all affiliated and related entities for purposes of the salary offset.  You also tightly define "salary".  This is common stuff -- disputes over employment agreement entitlements happen all the time and I suspect even moreso in college athletics given the coaching turnover. 

Having never read the contract (aka have zero idea what I'm talking about in this circumstance) it's not unethical to exploit poor draftsmenship.  UT is a sophisticated party represented by high dollar attorneys and if there was a loophole there for his client to exploit, Charlie's lawyer did nothing wrong telling him how to do so.  If all this is true and we shot ourselves in the foot, I imagine this is why UT hasn't made a stink about this in the media.

9 minutes ago, Keef said:

You draft the definition of any future university employer to include any and all affiliated and related entities for purposes of the salary offset.  You also tightly define "salary".  This is common stuff -- disputes over employment agreement entitlements happen all the time and I suspect even moreso in college athletics given the coaching turnover. 

Having never read the contract (aka have zero idea what I'm talking about in this circumstance) it's not unethical to exploit poor draftsmenship.  UT is a sophisticated party represented by high dollar attorneys and if there was a loophole there for his client to exploit, Charlie's lawyer did nothing wrong telling him how to do so.  If all this is true and we shot ourselves in the foot, I imagine this is why UT hasn't made a stink about this in the media.

I imagine we did not make a big deal out of it because we do not need the negative attention. Things are going well now and going after Strong for a few million dollars would look petty. I've been sued enough times to know that in discovery if there were emails and texts between Strong's agent and the university that made it clear they designed a payment structure specifically to hurt Texas it would not be good for them. 

12 minutes ago, Keef said:

Common indeed.  I would use the word compensation and not salary.  We shouldn't be surprised Patterson signed off on it.  

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I haven’t read the contract either, but if it’s a “secret” contract with the USF Foundation, that sounds more like UT just was never given notice of his true compensation and therefore didn’t know to enforce the mitigation clause for more money, not that Charlie actually one-upped us.  Any contract is vulnerable to fraud.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I would imagine that the contract language itself, even if it could have been tighter, at least has something UT could raise a claim about, even if it’s just a reference to “direct or indirect” compensation.   And depending on how bad the facts are, there might be a bad faith claim regardless of what the contract says. “Secret contract to subvert the original contract and scam your prior employer out of millions” isn’t a great look in any case. 

If they really made a secret contract specifically to create a scheme to avoid being in the calculation for payments for Texas they are absolutely exposing themselves to litigation. No matter what kind of language was in the contract. 

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Common indeed.  I would use the word compensation and not salary.  We shouldn't be surprised Patterson signed off on it.  

We wouldn’t have to get into the contract issue.  It would be a quick and easy summary disposition based on sovereign immunity.  Tell them to fuck off.  Either agree to take what is fair, an offset equivalent to two years of his average full salary at USF over the life of the contract.  Or we aren’t paying you one fucking dime.  You acted in bad faith trying to fuck Texas. We are going to lay down the sovereign immunity hammer and not pay you one fucking red cent.  Your choice.  

There wouldn’t be discovery.  Sovereign immunity is a threshold issue that defeats any claim he would have as a matter of law.  Ask Mike Leach. 

We didn’t want the bad press. But if we took my approach, we could avoid it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Aggy recruits against Texas, shit talks against Texas, and pretends they are Texas.

Yeah, so does OU. And they’re in our conference, competing directly with us for for a conference title and a playoff spot. And I would say we compete with them for recruits as much or more than aggy. You’d think we would have a 1000 page thread on them if we have a 475 page thread on aggy 

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah, so does OU. And they’re in our conference, competing directly with us for for a conference title and a playoff spot. And I would say we compete with them for recruits as much or more than aggy. You’d think we would have a 1000 page thread on them if we have a 475 page thread on aggy 

They don’t routinely do the stupid shit aggy does.  Aggy has a cultural commitment to making asses out of themselves combined with no self awareness plus delusions of grandeur 

• Like 1

USF will have to come up with somewhere between $4.5 - 5.2 million to buy out the rest of Strong’s fully guaranteed contract, thanks to former athletic director Mark Harlan’s secret second contract with Strong through the USF Foundation. (That’s a scandal unto itself, but no one is still here to be held accountable for it.)

I found this passage from the blog post interesting (the "time to cut bait" article). The Daily Stampede guys are USF alums who seem fairly plugged into the program.  How hilarious will it be if somewhere down the line, Chuckles ends up in court again trying to remember his own zip code.

I believe the Tampa Bay Times broke the story on the second secret contract. Here's the meat of what they found:

A documents request by the Tampa Bay Times has revealed Strong would be owed more than the feeble amount (20 weeks of his $500,000 base salary) indicated in his standard state contract if he were to be dismissed.

In response to the request, the school indicated other buyout terms are included in an agreement between Strong and the USF Foundation, the school's private fundraising arm. As a direct-support organization, USF Foundation records are confidential and exempt from disclosure under Florida law.

But it is believed Strong's buyout amount in that agreement is considerable.

link  interested

Edited by CurlyDumps
clarity

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

They don’t routinely do the stupid shit aggy does.  Aggy has a cultural commitment to making asses out of themselves combined with no self awareness plus delusions of grandeur 

Haha that’s fair

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And no.  We don’t compete with OU nearly as much for recruits.  

Hmm. That’s surprising. I don’t follow recruiting like I used to, but that must have changed over the last few years. I would’ve assumed that was our biggest competition for most recruits. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

53 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You may be confused. OU is and has been our competitive football rival for 100 years. We are bitter enemies on the field, but the fanbases at least have some measure of respect for one another because the teams have actual historical accomplishments. They also don't try to damage our university as a matter of course. Most of us who don't live in Dallas or further north don't have a lot of regular interaction with sooner fans.

Aggy claims to be our competitive rival in football to anyone who will listen, but they have never backed that up. They also try to damage us at every opportunity, and they are all over Texas. It is important to document who and what they are.

You're way too sensitive about this, so I can only assume you have aggies in your family. Sorry for ya.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You may be confused. OU is and has been our competitive football rival for 100 years. We are bitter enemies on the field, but the fanbases at least have some measure of respect for one another because the teams have actual historical accomplishments. They also don't try to damage our university as a matter of course. Most of us who don't live in Dallas or further north don't have a lot of regular interaction with sooner fans.

Aggy claims to be our competitive rival in football to anyone who will listen, but they have never backed that up. They also try to damage us at every opportunity, and they are all over Texas. It is important to document who and what they are.

You're way too sensitive about this, so I can only assume you have aggies in your family. Sorry for ya.

I do have a few Aggys in my family and a few friends that are aggys. I feel like most people in this thread would say that, but i could be wrong. I’ll admit it. I don’t like the “if we played you, blah blah blah” back and forth. Id rather just beat the fuck out of them on a regular basis like we always have (especially now that strong is gone). But I’m sure I’m in the minority 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I do have a few Aggys in my family and a few friends that are aggys. I feel like most people in this thread would say that, but i could be wrong. I’ll admit it. I don’t like the “if we played you, blah blah blah” back and forth. Id rather just beat the fuck out of them on a regular basis like we always have (especially now that strong is gone). But I’m sure I’m in the minority 

They never stopped running their mouths, no matter what.

I hope this story isn't true and UT hires better lawyers than that.  A modestly competent drafter would never make that mistake.  I also wonder if that scenario (employed by the University, paid by the Foundation) creates wage withholding or non-profit tax issues.

It would be easy enough to file a FOI request for Charlie’s UT contract to see what the actual wording was.