So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

On 11/8/2019 at 11:38 AM, Nope said:

Dude doesn’t even pretend to give a fuck...completely checked out.

Stupid and douchy is a bad combo. 

He is done in football IMO.

Maybe he can be a Wal-Mart greeter, if he agrees to holster his fingers.

Edited by El Squared

6 minutes ago, SDG said:

If he gets a job at Walmart it’ll be in the bakery baking cakes.  He doesn’t have the personality to be a greeter. 

He’ll get fired on his first day.

Boss:  Strong, why aren’t you baking anything back here?

CS: *vacant expression* Well it’s just, the cake’s already been baked. *points at muffins on the shelf*

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 11/8/2019 at 9:34 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m sure he thinks we should be paying someone a fully guaranteed $75 million

No that's been part of the program. Big pay checks to hire on but no real earned dividends. Only now is OU's coach getting near what Stoops was getting but OU has been winning the conference almost yearly and been playing in the Final 4. What has Strong and now Herman done for UT to earn more than that Riley guy? Does more money buy wins and  conference titles? No. Rather than have the pay me $5 mil first and I'll do want I can to earn it that's not what most programs do. They hire in for less and if that coach is working harder and winning big games and conference championships it's then he gets raises. Finding a good coach isn't as hard as you want to make it out to be because UT has the dollars to be attractive to most any of the lesser programs but they want to only look at the Sabans because their belief is that he'd automatically do for UT what he's been doing for Alabama. Tom seemed to be a good pick but so far it's been closer to a failed project than a successful worthwhile hire. Maybe Tom will improve on his coaching as the years pass and eventually gets over the hump. 

4 minutes ago, BradWilcox said:

No that's been part of the program. Big pay checks to hire on but no real earned dividends. Only now is OU's coach getting near what Stoops was getting but OU has been winning the conference almost yearly and been playing in the Final 4. What has Strong and now Herman done for UT to earn more than that Riley guy? Does more money buy wins and  conference titles? No. Rather than have the pay me $5 mil first and I'll do want I can to earn it that's not what most programs do. They hire in for less and if that coach is working harder and winning big games and conference championships it's then he gets raises. Finding a good coach isn't as hard as you want to make it out to be because UT has the dollars to be attractive to most any of the lesser programs but they want to only look at the Sabans because their belief is that he'd automatically do for UT what he's been doing for Alabama. Tom seemed to be a good pick but so far it's been closer to a failed project than a successful worthwhile hire. Maybe Tom will improve on his coaching as the years pass and eventually gets over the hump. 

Jerry Jones learned long ago that championships are only one measure of success and not always the the most important measure. Just this past week, UT was gifted $130 million in exchange for the naming rights to the new basketball arena. 

Program stability can translate into big dollars for colleges and universities.

9 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Jerry Jones learned long ago that championships are only one measure of success and not always the the most important measure. Just this past week, UT was gifted $130 million in exchange for the naming rights to the new basketball arena. 

Program stability can translate into big dollars for colleges and universities.

very true

5 minutes ago, BradWilcox said:

very true

Also, don’t underestimate the value of the right AD. Castiglione at OU is a strong AD. I’m not a big fan of Byrne at Bama When Bama football’s fortunes turn, we will see what he is made of.

Patterson at UT was borderline criminal negligence. Not a person in favor of his hiring should ever be allowed to participate in another UT hiring search. Few leaders of collegiate athletic sports programs excel when their AD is incapable of doing their job well. 

Had CDC been at UT when Charlie was on campus, I think UT football would have done better, but even had he been, Charlie’s ceiling at UT still would have been 8-5. 

13 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Patterson at UT was borderline criminal negligence. Not a person in favor of his hiring should ever be allowed to participate in another UT hiring search. 

From personal experience and from experience watching from the crowd, executive search firms are such total frauds that other con men must sit back and watch in awe.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Had CDC been at UT when Charlie was on campus, I think UT football would have done better, but even had he been, Charlie’s ceiling at UT still would have been 8-5. 

That's actually an interesting hypothetical. Would CDC have allowed Watson year 1? Would he have allowed Watson year 2? Would Charlie's obvious mental decline have been addressed? 

I am grateful we didn't have to live through the agony of a few more years of Charlie, but even more grateful for the end of the Patterson era.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
What do we want? An end to autocorrect! When do we want it? Moo!
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's actually an interesting hypothetical. Would CDC have allowed Watson year 1? Would he have allowed Watson year 2? Would Charlie's obvious mental decline have been addressed? 

I am grateful we didn't have to live through the agony of a few more years of Charlie, but even more grateful for the end of the Patterson era.

CDC wouldn't have involved himself with the hiring and firing of assistants. That is not how he works.

What a lot of people don't realize is just how much more demanding the head football coach position at Texas is with respect to the same position at Louisville. Not only are the alumni demands a quantum leap, but the media demands are especially demanding. Everyone understood Charlie was in over his head, taking over the Texas job, but so was Mack, so was Herman. It was expected that Charlie would be able to quickly grow into the position. That was the error.

From the start, Charlie was overwhelmed. One thing Patterson did to exacerbate the problem was firing Bianco, the one individual who could have dealt with the media and helped Charlie balance the demands of running the program and feeding the beast that is the media that follows UT athletics. Without Bianco, Charlie was even more overwhelmed and his resulting lack of attention to the details of the program lead to such clusterfucks as not having a clue what Watson was doing (or not doing) with the offense.

Patterson didn't seem to care in the least that Charlie was flailing. He seemed to expect Charlie to find his own way to right the ship. Therein lies an example of hos having the right AD matters to a coach, especially one transitioning from a mid-major to arguably the most demanding program in college football.

Don't get me wrong, even with a top AD, Charlie's ceiling at Texas was probably 8-5, but that would have been a damned sight better than what he delivered.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:59 PM, El Squared said:

Stupid and douchy is a bad combo. 

He is done in football IMO.

Maybe he can be a Wal-Mart greeter, if he agrees to holster his fingers.

I can see it now: a few years down the road we’ll see ESPN U bring coverage of the D3 playoffs. The commentators will say, “well, here’s Charlie Strong leading *insert D3 school. He finished 7-4 but surprisingly finished second in his conference to make it into the playoff as the 7th seed...”

14 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

First, that's a false dichotomy. You don't have any evidence that the Moody grant could only have come in the absence of on-court success. 

Second, if we want to play the false dichotomy game, I'd rather watch our team win a bunch of championships and listen to the coaches complain about doing more with less than watch our athletic department swim in money and never win anything the fans actually care about. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

First, that's a false dichotomy. You don't have any evidence that the Moody grant could only have come in the absence of on-court success. 

Second, if we want to play the false dichotomy game, I'd rather watch our team win a bunch of championships and listen to the coaches complain about doing more with less than watch our athletic department swim in money and never win anything the fans actually care about. 

Championships are largely irrelevant. Long term stability is far more valuable.

And I did not claim the Moody grant materialized only because of the absence of on-court success. That was your construct. My point was that the basketball program, for all its failures, is a stable program. Brand image and reputation management are far more important to sports entertainment organizations than are elusive championships.

Your wish may be championships, but the athletic director is much more interested in the long term financial stability of the program. And the athletic director gets to pick the direction of the program. The list of sports entertainment programs that enjoyed long term financial success without amassing championships is extremely long.

The original post I responded to spoke to "big paychecks with no earned dividends." The dividends are apparent and substantial. The long list of improvements to DKR and the new basketball arena are but two of the more substantial dividends.

Don't kid yourself in the least. While some fans may complain about the lack of championships, the people making the decisions regarding UT athletics are very content with the overall returns currently being earned on salaries paid to the members of the various coaching staffs. The condition of UT athletics is light years ahead of where things stood under Steve Patterson.

14 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Don't kid yourself in the least. While some fans may complain about the lack of championships, the people making the decisions regarding UT athletics are very content with the overall returns currently being earned on salaries paid to the members of the various coaching staffs. The condition of UT athletics is light years ahead of where things stood under Steve Patterson.

Del Conte operates with a simple mission statement. “All of our athletic programs are in the top 10 in the country and need to be competing for national championships,” he said. “That’s how we’re going to base it.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-turnover-chris-del-conte-hoping-new-cabinet-approach-leads-longhorns-stability/

2 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Del Conte operates with a simple mission statement. “All of our athletic programs are in the top 10 in the country and need to be competing for national championships,” he said. “That’s how we’re going to base it.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-turnover-chris-del-conte-hoping-new-cabinet-approach-leads-longhorns-stability/

Man, is that an uphill climb with our big three at the moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, randygilman said:

You seem to have missed the emphasis on program stability. 

Leading up to the next round of realignment, stability is the first, last, and every other priority of UT athletics.

Get used to it. There is simply too much at stake in the long run to be firing head coaches and risk blowing up a stable program to chase a championship that is in no way a sure thing. 

You don’t have to believe me. I’m just telling you the way things are. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

You seem to have missed the emphasis on program stability. 
Leading up to the next round of realignment, stability is the first, last, and every other priority of UT athletics.
Get used to it. There is simply too much at stake in the long run to be firing head coaches and risk blowing up a stable program to chase a championship that is in no way a sure thing. 
You don’t have to believe me. I’m just telling you the way things are. 
You sound fucking insane. You want stability. Fucking win games. A lot of them.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

From personal experience and from experience watching from the crowd, executive search firms are such total frauds that other con men must sit back and watch in awe.  

A thought might be to reach out into the previous coaching trees and see if there's a name that surfaces. Not sure if the guy would be a quality hire for a HC again but I'm wondering if S. Sarkesian has learned his lesson? 

7 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Not to me. As a fan. And that is all I am willing to care about anymore. A nice, stable athletic department that can't win in football, men's basketball, and baseball is worthless to me.

That's all true and sad in a way too. At my age and probably many others here we don't have time to sit back and wait for a nice stable athletic department to emerge from the pillar of smoke and ashes. Winning now is all I care about and have time for.

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, BradWilcox said:

That's all true and sad in a way too. At my age and probably many others here we don't have time to sit back and wait for a nice stable athletic department to emerge from the pillar of smoke and ashes. Winning now is all I care about and have time for.

We (Texas Longhorns)  have won a lot of good championships in multiple sports.  Many fine awards in our Hall of Honor sponsored by WWII hero Frank Denius.  You need to get back to TexAgs or SoonerScoop or the Baylor site or wherever you came from  ASAP.  

1 hour ago, BradWilcox said:

yeah that's not at all what I was saying but big thumbs up buddy!!!!

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I can see it now: a few years down the road we’ll see ESPN U bring coverage of the D3 playoffs. The commentators will say, “well, here’s Charlie Strong leading *insert D3 school. He finished 7-4 but surprisingly finished second in his conference to make it into the playoff as the 7th seed...”

My vision is not as good as yours. 

I can only see CS at a nursing home with 2 attendants hovering over him saying :

“ shit Charlie this is the third time today we have had to change you and it’s not even noon!”

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You aren't telling us shit. You are acting as though you are informed, and you fundamentally are not. It's obvious to me, and anyone else reading this, who has actually had the conversations around this subject matter with people who work for the school. Shut the fuck up with your word vomit and false claims.

Lol. 

Thanks for the laugh.

Stability going into the next round of realignment is what will help define the media value of UT athletics. The media value of UT athletics during the next round of realignment is important to every decision maker involved with UT athletics. 

Blowing up any major program to chase a championship means nothing. Firing Herman or Shaka at the risk of hiring another Charlie Strong simply isn’t a risk that CDC is going to take at this point in time. 

UT football isn’t winning a national championship between now and 2023. It just isn’t happening. Even if UT basketball won a national championship between now and 2023, it would mean nothing in the big picture. Another national title in baseball won’t drive program revenues. 

I’m just telling you the cold, hard facts that will rule UT athletics over the next 5 years. 

Cry like a child because you can’t deal with reality, but reality is laughing back at you while you cry. 

Nothing radical, or even remotely interpreted as radical, will happen within UT athletics between now and at least 2023.

It’s a money calculation. 

I’m giving you the cold, hard facts.

Deal with it. Or choose to have childlike, social media tirades. It’s your choice. 

But nothing you, or your conversations with “people who work for the school” will change the cold, hard facts. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anyone know what Randolph Duke is talking about?

No. He’s a bloviating dipshit that knows nothing and pontificates about everything. I’m guessing he’s on a time limit with the orderlies who monitor his wing in the insane asylum, which is why we only see his dumbass every 8 hours. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No. He’s a bloviating dipshit that knows nothing and pontificates about everything. I’m guessing he’s on a time limit with the orderlies who monitor his wing in the insane asylum, which is why we only see his dumbass every 8 hours. 

As reality dawns upon you over the next few years, and we both realize I am right about my “naive insane asylum” take on UT athletics, I will enjoy having the last laugh over you and your type. 

I’ve tried to tell you the cold, hard facts. 

And I will tell you (but you won’t listen), that the decision makers don’t care in the least about what the radical idiots think about any aspect of any major program.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

As reality dawns upon you over the next few years, and we both realize I am right about my “naive insane asylum” take on UT athletics, I will enjoy having the last laugh over you and your type. 

Please keep posting.  I rather enjoy it when ctj decides to eviscerate people on here.  You seem to be the target du jour and he’s locked in.  I’m laughing my ass off at your inane bullshit.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You aren't telling us shit. You are acting as though you are informed, and you fundamentally are not. It's obvious to me, and anyone else reading this, who has actually had the conversations around this subject matter with people who work for the school. Shut the fuck up with your word vomit and false claims.

raw

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol. 

Thanks for the laugh.

Stability going into the next round of realignment is what will help define the media value of UT athletics. The media value of UT athletics during the next round of realignment is important to every decision maker involved with UT athletics. 

Blowing up any major program to chase a championship means nothing. Firing Herman or Shaka at the risk of hiring another Charlie Strong simply isn’t a risk that CDC is going to take at this point in time. 

UT football isn’t winning a national championship between now and 2023. It just isn’t happening. Even if UT basketball won a national championship between now and 2023, it would mean nothing in the big picture. Another national title in baseball won’t drive program revenues. 

I’m just telling you the cold, hard facts that will rule UT athletics over the next 5 years. 

Cry like a child because you can’t deal with reality, but reality is laughing back at you while you cry. 

Nothing radical, or even remotely interpreted as radical, will happen within UT athletics between now and at least 2023.

It’s a money calculation. 

I’m giving you the cold, hard facts.

Deal with it. Or choose to have childlike, social media tirades. It’s your choice. 

But nothing you, or your conversations with “people who work for the school” will change the cold, hard facts. 

LOL.  Texas doesn't have to worry about realignment.

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

And I will tell you (but you won’t listen), that the decision makers don’t care in the least about what the radical idiots think about any aspect of any major program.

I don’t want to sound all Dr. Manhattan and shit, but, well, I am “the type”. I’m not waiting on cues from somewhere else or crossing my fingers that my bullshit winds up looking better than yours. I don’t give one fuck about your silly fantasies. I’ve walked on the surface of this sun. You’re wrong, laughably so, and, well, that’s that. 

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

If we have Herman and Shaka as our coaches our valuation will be sky high. But if we have Matt Campbell and Buzz Williams our valuation will be dog shit. Because reasons. 

Because stability. Conferences prize programs whose HCs have the most tenure. That's really the only thing they care about. If we change coaches, Texas athletics will become unstable and possibly cease to exist at worst, and at best will be left out in the cold during realignment. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Blowing up any major program to chase a championship means nothing.

Again with the false dichotomies. It is not a binary choice between stability on the one hand or "blowing up" a major program. Winning championships is the basis for evaluating whether the stability is worth preserving. Change is necessary when a coach cannot deliver enough wins and championships, and it's necessary even if all of the other aspects of the programs are healthy-- like alumni giving and television deals and whatever else you want to base your evaluation on. A program that turns a healthy profit and graduates kids and doesn't get into NCAA trouble still needs to win championships

There is really little else to say to or about you if you look at Shaka Smart's time at UT and characterize the desire to fire him as "blowing up" something stable. Smart has been a failure as a coach here. We're two games into the 2020 season, so I"m fine letting him coach out the string, and if he wins the Big 12 this year then fine, keep him on. But, if he wins 20 games and finishes fifth in the Big 12 and loses in the NCAA play-in round this year, he can hit the fucking bricks and he can take all of the sanctimonious "tut-tut, winning too much isn't how we define ourselves" cuck pussies that infest the University's leadership with him. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1