So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

Will you muthafuckas get back on point and embrace the wonder and magic that Corch Potato is the worse coach in the history of God and we can all bathe in the glorious schadenfreude while his incompetence and his being grossly inept on a felonious level are being paraded on a weekly basis before a national audience.

(and no, I am not yet recovered from the PTSD suffered because our storied program was entrusted to the ilk of that moron)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Irieguy said:

If we have Herman and Shaka as our coaches our valuation will be sky high. But if we have Matt Campbell and Buzz Williams our valuation will be dog shit. Because reasons. 

No. The devil you know is better than the one you don't. Having known variables affords reasonably measurable values.

I'm not trying to introduce a difficult concept here. This is simple stuff for most people. I'm sorry you are struggling with this.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No. The devil you know is better than the one you don't. Having known variables affords reasonably measurable values.

I'm not trying to introduce a difficult concept here. This is simple stuff for most people. I'm sorry you are struggling with this.

I feel if you type a few hundred more words I’ll get it. Maybe some probabilities of when the next conference realignment will start and high level valuation numbers in both the “keep coaches” and “new hire” scenarios. 

• Like 3

Any AD that hires a retained search firm to conduct a coaching search should be fired the same day they sign the engagement letter.  If an AD doesn't have a running short list of names to turn to (and associated agents) in the event they need a coach he/she is not worth piss.

If I'm CDC I'm not throwing in the towel on Herman, but he better damn sure know who his first call is to if Herman stepped in front of a bus.

Edited by gecko
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, gecko said:

Any AD that hires a retained search firm to conduct a coaching search should be fired the same day they sign the engagement letter.  If an AD doesn't have a running short list of names to turn to (and associated agents) in the event they need a coach he/she is not worth piss.

If I'm CDC I'm not throwing in the towel on Herman, but he better damn sure know who his first call is to if Herman stepped in front of a bus.

Korn Ferry wasn't used to choose candidates.  They were used to vet candidates named by the search committee.  They were doing a background check to make sure no embarrassing skeletons were in the closet.  They are not at fault for Strong.  That's on Powers and Patterson.

• Like 3

I seem to recall Belmont celebrating the hiring of KF to do an exhaustive search for the new coach.  So I went looking on the googletron and found this little nugget:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2017202-texas-search-firm-bill-shows-how-misplaced-money-is-in-college-football

"...The executive search firm Korn/Ferry International billed Texas $250,000 for helping hire coach Charlie Strong in January, plus an administrative fee of 6 percent — $15,000. An additional invoice dated March 19 charged Texas $1,990 in expenses, mostly travel expenses for Korn/Ferry consultant Jed Hughes...."

I know that business fairly well and if UT paid KF $250K for a background check it's worse than I thought.  Also, $1,990 in travel is laughable.  No wonder ended up with Strong.

Edited by gecko

Korn Ferry wasn't used to choose candidates.  They were used to vet candidates named by the search committee.  They were doing a background check to make sure no embarrassing skeletons were in the closet.  They are not at fault for Strong.  That's on Powers and Patterson.
Anyone can do that for 35 dollars and an internet connection.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gecko said:

I seem to recall Belmont celebrating the hiring of KF to do an exhaustive search for the new coach.  So I went looking on the googletron and found this little nugget:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2017202-texas-search-firm-bill-shows-how-misplaced-money-is-in-college-football

"...The executive search firm Korn/Ferry International billed Texas $250,000 for helping hire coach Charlie Strong in January, plus an administrative fee of 6 percent — $15,000. An additional invoice dated March 19 charged Texas $1,990 in expenses, mostly travel expenses for Korn/Ferry consultant Jed Hughes...."

I know that business fairly well and if UT paid KF $250K for a background check it's worse than I thought.  Also, $1,990 in travel is laughable.  No wonder ended up with Strong.

You would think that for $250,000 plus change they might have turned up the issue with the Louisville Trustee's wife

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

You know how if you just keep going west long enough you end up east of your starting position? You are so far from being the smartest guy in the room that you think the universe curved back on itself and deposited you on the smartest guy in the room end of the spectrum. That's not what happened. You're like Columbus thinking he'd landed in India.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Someone has to be the one with the worst take on the entire Surly site. Randolph Duke claims the title and CTJ is there to pounce right on it, like a hyena on a baby pig looking for something to suckle.

Some people just can't handle the cold, hard facts of reality that are staring them in the face.

CDC didn't take the UT job because he wanted the money. He took it because he understood UT was the central player in the next, and probably the most defining round, of college sports realignment. He wanted to be the central player in the redefinition of collegiate athletics. That is a cold, hard fact.

Every major decision between now and 2023 is going to pass through the filter of how it effects the positioning of UT athletics going into realignment. Every day that passes will reinforce that consideration even more. Welcome to the cold, hard realities of high level collegiate athletics. At the end of the day, collegiate athletics is a numbers game. Especially when your collegiate athletics program is approaching a quarter of a billion dollars in annual operating revenue. That is a cold, hard fact.

UT athletics is a big ship. Big ships don't turn quickly. By his nature, CDC does not react emotionally. Any decision he makes on hiring or firing a leader of a sports program will be done deliberately. That will be the reality of UT athletics for the next 30 years under CDC's leadership.  That is also a cold, hard fact.

I'm sorry some people can't deal with the big picture. I'm also sorry they will have an incredibly hard time dealing with the realities of the next few years. But the cold, hard facts are what they are. Some of us may resort to social media to whine and kvetch about the cold, hard realities, but their complaints will not change the cold, hard realities.

16 hours ago, BradWilcox said:

A thought might be to reach out into the previous coaching trees and see if there's a name that surfaces. Not sure if the guy would be a quality hire for a HC again but I'm wondering if S. Sarkesian has learned his lesson? 

Lesson? What lesson is that? To attend meetings? I've got a buddy who is in the 'Bama machine, and he says Sark is literally drunk by 5 pm, every day. That's a hard fucking No, he is not even remotely head coach material. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gecko said:

JFK. If you ever need outside help, you don't hire the Korn Ferries. You hire Black Cube.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, Randolph Duke said:

You seem to have missed the emphasis on program stability. 

Leading up to the next round of realignment, stability is the first, last, and every other priority of UT athletics.

Get used to it. There is simply too much at stake in the long run to be firing head coaches and risk blowing up a stable program to chase a championship that is in no way a sure thing. 

You don’t have to believe me. I’m just telling you the way things are. 

Okay, I'll bite.

Under what circumstances would Texas Athletics - the richest in the NCAA - be viewed as "unstable" due to a coaching change? UT is the crown jewel of any conference shake-up or realignment regardless of who's in charge of UT football or men's hoops. Your premise doesn't really make sense.

I doubt CDC is afraid to make a change if he deems one is necessary due to perceived "instability". The search will just go a helluva lot better and more smoothly than it did under Patterson.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lesson? What lesson is that? To attend meetings? I've got a buddy who is in the 'Bama machine, and he says Sark is literally drunk by 5 pm, every day. That's a hard fucking No, he is not even remotely head coach material. 

So, he still is Coach Cutty Sark?  Maybe Tech should hit him.  Sounds like a Pirate to me.

30 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Some people just can't handle the cold, hard facts of reality that are staring them in the face.

CDC didn't take the UT job because he wanted the money. He took it because he understood UT was the central player in the next, and probably the most defining round, of college sports realignment. He wanted to be the central player in the redefinition of collegiate athletics. That is a cold, hard fact.

Every major decision between now and 2023 is going to pass through the filter of how it effects the positioning of UT athletics going into realignment. Every day that passes will reinforce that consideration even more. Welcome to the cold, hard realities of high level collegiate athletics. At the end of the day, collegiate athletics is a numbers game. Especially when your collegiate athletics program is approaching a quarter of a billion dollars in annual operating revenue. That is a cold, hard fact.

UT athletics is a big ship. Big ships don't turn quickly. By his nature, CDC does not react emotionally. Any decision he makes on hiring or firing a leader of a sports program will be done deliberately. That will be the reality of UT athletics for the next 30 years under CDC's leadership.  That is also a cold, hard fact.

I'm sorry some people can't deal with the big picture. I'm also sorry they will have an incredibly hard time dealing with the realities of the next few years. But the cold, hard facts are what they are. Some of us may resort to social media to whine and kvetch about the cold, hard realities, but their complaints will not change the cold, hard realities.

I realize in advance that responding to you is a complete waste of my fucking time because at this point, you're borderline mentally deficient. Which makes me a fucking idiot for wasting my time arguing with a mentally handicapped person, much less one who is even less skilled at presenting an argument than your average, run-of-the-mill waterheaded idiot. That being said, we all have weaknesses and apparently calling you a cross-eyed dipshit is an itch I occasionally must scratch. Lets start with a few things:

1.) No, numbnuts, that's a fucking opinion. It's literally the definition of an opinion, unless you want to point us towards one of your many dossiers of PDF documents citing where he made that statement to a newspaper or some other published periodical. At best it's hearsay and/or speculation. And even if he told you that personally, in a conversation (one of the many you claim to have had with this man), that doesn't make it a FACT. 

2.) Which brings me to another point your fucking dense skull can't seem to wrap it's head around: Other posters on this thread, of which I am one, have also had conversations with CDC. And the thing is, he's telling the exact fucking opposite to literally everyone else except you. When I've talked to him, he talks about winning championships, he talks about him being the steward of the passions of Longhorns, and it's his responsibility to see us win. So he's either lying to everyone else while telling you the truth, lying to YOU while consistently telling everyone else the exact same message, or the answer that is almost certainly correct: He's not telling you shit and you're making stupid fucking shit up because you can't help yourself because you've got a personality disorder and you actually believe the lies you tell. 

3.) I'd be remiss if I didn't also spend a moment analyzing your fucking wildly stupid notion that the only thing that matters in conference realignment, or even that an IMPORTANT factor in conference realignment is stability. No, it's dollars. It's dollar bills, dipshit. And do you know what brings dollar bills? Brand appeal, number of alumni/fans, television footprint, athletic department wealth, living alumni, a whole fucking host of things. And those things existed and will continue to exist whether our coach is Charlie Strong or Tom Herman. Under your premise, Mack Brown would still be the head coach at Texas. And by your premise, if Nick Saban retired tomorrow, Alabama would be completely fucked because their stability is gone. Wrong, these things are measured by factors orders of magnitude above how a program is doing currently. Of course, hilariously, your stupid model would also fall pray to the idea that CDC could keep herman and his staff for "stability," they completely shit the bed and melt down as a program, and OH NOES Texas has no stability right before realignment!! For a guy who makes cold deliberate decisions, like you claim your good buddy CDC does, that seems like an awfully huge risk to his success and legacy as opposed to taking a hand in matters personally. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

So, he still is Coach Cutty Sark?  Maybe Tech should hit him.  Sounds like a Pirate to me.

I don't think Leach is approaching Sark levels, and a buddy once told us that Tech used to send a handler with Leach out on recruiting trips and speaking engagements after he ended up passed out in his car on the side of the road and covered in his own vomit at one point, for what its worth. 

13 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Okay, I'll bite.

Under what circumstances would Texas Athletics - the richest in the NCAA - be viewed as "unstable" due to a coaching change? UT is the crown jewel of any conference shake-up or realignment regardless of who's in charge of UT football or men's hoops. Your premise doesn't really make sense.

I doubt CDC is afraid to make a change if he deems one is necessary due to perceived "instability". The search will just go a helluva lot better and more smoothly than it did under Patterson.

Why do this to yourself and the rest of us? I mean, I get it to some degree - dangling bait in front of RD is sort of like watching a bum fight or some good old-fashioned midget tossing. That considered, it gets old by the 5th or 6th time he automatically launches into the same word walls and vomits them onto the board. 

The premise that the AD at Texas won't make a change in a major sport exhibiting failure at the HC level until after the next realignment round, ie., for the next 6 years!, is so preposterous that it almost defies comprehension. That this message is delivered by a guy that claims constantly to have an audience within the AD when everything he writes and purports to do flies in the face of having any basic knowledge of what's actually happening in the AD is, well, hilariously probably the only way the message could exist in the first place. 

13 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

The gap between Steve Sarkisian's depravity and Mike Leach's quirkiness makes the Grand Canyon look like a sidewalk crack. The fact that Saban brought that dude back, knowing what SydneyCarton and I know from our friends inside the machine there, is indicative of how far away from sane the environment actually is for coaches at Alabama. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Why do this to yourself and the rest of us? I mean, I get it to some degree - dangling bait in front of RD is sort of like watching a bum fight or some good old-fashioned midget tossing. That considered, it gets old by the 5th or 6th time he automatically launches into the same word walls and vomits them onto the board. 

The premise that the AD at Texas won't make a change in a major sport exhibiting failure at the HC level until after the next realignment round, ie., for the next 6 years!, is so preposterous that it almost defies comprehension. That this message is delivered by a guy that claims constantly to have an audience within the AD when everything he writes and purports to do flies in the face of having any basic knowledge of what's actually happening in the AD is, well, hilariously probably the only way the message could exist in the first place. 

Sorry, man, I couldn't resist.

I enjoy many of RD's rants even when they don't make a damn bit of sense whatsoever. Guess I should seek help. He amuses me, but RD should probably stay in his lane - the aggy thread.

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

I enjoy many of RD's rants even when they don't make a damn bit of sense whatsoever. Guess I should seek help. He amuses me, but RD should probably stay in his lane - the aggy thread.

I'm not certain why, after consistently demonstrating his tenuous grasp of things like Facts, or personal honor or integrity, you'd trust any opinion or declaration he makes in ANY thread. 

Mental health and it’s implications are fascinating to me. I actually think Randolph is very smart and a brilliant researcher if the scope is limited. But it seems to me that he is dealing with a frustration in his personal life “organizations are slow to move” and he is slavishly applying that concept to UT even though it doesn’t apply. But his mind is forcing him to shoehorn everything he sees to conform to his hypothesis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

I once saw two drunk dudes argue over which was a better football team – Pittsburgh or the Steelers. This thread reminds me of that.

Maybe it’s performance art. And RD is trying to portray Strong’s ineptness through the medium of shitposting. 

Edited by Irieguy
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not certain why, after consistently demonstrating his tenuous grasp of things like Facts, or personal honor or integrity, you'd trust any opinion or declaration he makes in ANY thread. 

Well, RD has foot-noted much of it at aggypedia.com. I'm certainly not going to research A&M's history.

Edited by DFW Horn

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

The good news is that the orderlies at Rusk State Hospital allegedly do not fuck around when computer time is over. I'm guessing that a 3-4 man team probably already pulled this morning's takedown off, harnessed dear Randy back into his straight jacket, put his helmet back on, and gently tossed him back into his padded room until break time arrives again at 5pm. We've got like 5 hours left to discuss Chuckles Strong until we face a new surge.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Mental health and it’s implications are fascinating to me. I actually think Randolph is very smart and a brilliant researcher if the scope is limited. But it seems to me that he is dealing with a frustration in his personal life “organizations are slow to move” and he is slavishly applying that concept to UT even though it doesn’t apply. But his mind is forcing him to shoehorn everything he sees to conform to his hypothesis. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I realize in advance that responding to you is a complete waste of my fucking time because at this point, you're borderline mentally deficient. Which makes me a fucking idiot for wasting my time arguing with a mentally handicapped person, much less one who is even less skilled at presenting an argument than your average, run-of-the-mill waterheaded idiot. That being said, we all have weaknesses and apparently calling you a cross-eyed dipshit is an itch I occasionally must scratch. Lets start with a few things:

1.) No, numbnuts, that's a fucking opinion. It's literally the definition of an opinion, unless you want to point us towards one of your many dossiers of PDF documents citing where he made that statement to a newspaper or some other published periodical. At best it's hearsay and/or speculation. And even if he told you that personally, in a conversation (one of the many you claim to have had with this man), that doesn't make it a FACT. 

2.) Which brings me to another point your fucking dense skull can't seem to wrap it's head around: Other posters on this thread, of which I am one, have also had conversations with CDC. And the thing is, he's telling the exact fucking opposite to literally everyone else except you. When I've talked to him, he talks about winning championships, he talks about him being the steward of the passions of Longhorns, and it's his responsibility to see us win. So he's either lying to everyone else while telling you the truth, lying to YOU while consistently telling everyone else the exact same message, or the answer that is almost certainly correct: He's not telling you shit and you're making stupid fucking shit up because you can't help yourself because you've got a personality disorder and you actually believe the lies you tell. 

3.) I'd be remiss if I didn't also spend a moment analyzing your fucking wildly stupid notion that the only thing that matters in conference realignment, or even that an IMPORTANT factor in conference realignment is stability. No, it's dollars. It's dollar bills, dipshit. And do you know what brings dollar bills? Brand appeal, number of alumni/fans, television footprint, athletic department wealth, living alumni, a whole fucking host of things. And those things existed and will continue to exist whether our coach is Charlie Strong or Tom Herman. Under your premise, Mack Brown would still be the head coach at Texas. And by your premise, if Nick Saban retired tomorrow, Alabama would be completely fucked because their stability is gone. Wrong, these things are measured by factors orders of magnitude above how a program is doing currently. Of course, hilariously, your stupid model would also fall pray to the idea that CDC could keep herman and his staff for "stability," they completely shit the bed and melt down as a program, and OH NOES Texas has no stability right before realignment!! For a guy who makes cold deliberate decisions, like you claim your good buddy CDC does, that seems like an awfully huge risk to his success and legacy as opposed to taking a hand in matters personally. 

This is the word equivalent of dunking on someone. 

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I have to give a major shout-out to this thread. For sheer entertainment, contentiousness, antipathy and outright hatred, no other football thread comes remotely close to this. Please keep it up! 

Surly-Worthy-Inna3.jpg   

Concur. I’m still laughing at Burt’s  “cold hard facts” response. Pure greatness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randygilman said:

By this logic, doesn’t this mean Texas Tech is in phenomenal position In the next round of realignment with an entrenched AD, a new Football coach, and two wildly successful coaches in the other two sports?

How does Texas Tech's position during conference realignment in any way relate to that of UT Austin's?

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm telling you how things are. Insist they are otherwise if you wish, but reality is what it is.

Football is the cash cow at UT. CDC isn't going to risk bringing in another coach that may or may not do better than Tom Herman unless he is absolutely forced to. Baseball seems to be in good hands. Basketball at UT has always been an afterthought. There is no way CDC is going to risk a Charlie Strong level hire to lead UT basketball in place of Shaka Smart. Especially before the new basketball arena is finished.

Try to convince yourself that radical change is going to imposed upon UT athletics prior to the next round of conference realignment, but it isn't going to happen. No way in Hell will it happen.

UT football just came off a 10 win season. Baseball seems to be in good hands. Basketball has never been a priority at UT.

Every day we get closer to the next round of conference realignment the odds of any change in any of the major athletics programs diminishes.

From the time you started reading this post to the end of this post the odds of a coaching change in any of the UT men's athletics programs has incrementally diminished.

And by the time you offer a response to this post, those odds will have diminished incrementally more.

Absent any major misstep, there isn't going to be a change in any of the three major sports programs at UT Austin prior to at least 2023

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

You mean to tell me that this guy did not realize that Chuckles might have been in over his head?  Shocked.  This is definitely the guy I would turn to if I needed to find a head coach at a major program.  

I didn't bother to try and figure out the actual meaning behind the picture, I just was taken by the irony of this grifter with a pyramid scheme beside him in the vid clip lol

• Like 1