So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

40 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Absolutely a great take. The guy had to clear out 4 years of abject Mack-rot, which he largely did. He also recruited way above his head. Guys who have been/will be drafted. He's also a good guy. I hope he has success in the future. 

I thought that too for his tenure here but a couple of things he did going out the door make me pause. 

First, the whole the cake is baked bullshit.  No, Charlie, the cake was a shit sandwich and any fool could see that.  He was just setting it up so if Tom won Charlie gets the credit but if he lost it was all Tom's fault.  It just came across as very petty on his part.  

Second, the whole structuring of the USF contract to take a below market rate while we subsidize it but that magically kicks up to market rate when our subsidy ends.  Yeah, yeah, we're the Joneses and all that crap but that doesn't mean we should just get fucked over because we can afford it .  And before, anyone points it out, yes it was perfectly legal, but certainly not within the spirit of his buyout (and we definitely need better lawyers next time we negotiate something like that if we're leaving loopholes like that in the contract).

43 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Absolutely a great take. The guy had to clear out 4 years of abject Mack-rot, which he largely did. He also recruited way above his head. Guys who have been/will be drafted. He's also a good guy. I hope he has success in the future. 

he was horrible and it as painful as shit but I too hold no ill,will since we cut bait as soon as reasonably possible.  It's not Charlies fault we hired him.  He was a bad head coach because he could not hire the right people below him.  give Mack those same recruiting classes he probably wins 7 or 8 a year instead of 5 or 6 because he'd have adequate co-ordinators.  Mack needed to go for sleeping at the recruiting switch and the dumbass decision to basically give GG the QB job but change the offense.

I said it from the get go, Charlie never thought he'd get this type of job, and when he did, he wasn't prepared with a list of people he had to have, except for possibly Wickline.   As big a disaster as Watson was, Vance was arguably bigger.

I thought Herman may have made the same mistake but at least at this point Orlando is holding his own and Herman has better control of his side of the ball than Charlie ever had with his side.

I don’t remember anyone supporting him after the Kansas lost on the old site.

This thread has a lot of Makovician anger directed towards him. It was obvious that he was in over his head which was exacerbated by a shitty AD but he seemed like a decent guy. I guess I’m too much of a bleeding heart.

Everyone posted the reasons why he sucked so no need to rehash everything. He’s set in his ways and almost 60, rich with a hot wife so he should just retire. Wonder if he’d have a shot at a NFL DC though.

PS, Someone post pics of his daughters to lighten things up. Sorry DeShon.

4 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I don’t remember anyone supporting him after the Kansas lost on the old site.

This thread has a lot of Makovician anger directed towards him. It was obvious that he was in over his head which was exacerbated by a shitty AD but he seemed like a decent guy. I guess I’m too much of a bleeding heart.

Everyone posted the reasons why he sucked so no need to rehash everything. He’s set in his ways and almost 60, rich with a hot wife so he should just retire. Wonder if he’d have a shot at a NFL DC though.

PS, Someone post pics of his daughters to lighten things up. Sorry DeShon.

He said the cake was baked on his way out so when the next coach did something he couldn't with his (Charlie's) players, he could take some credit for it. Lost what little respect I had left for him after that.

When we win the Big 12 title Saturday, I would love to see Herman show up to the press conference with a cake in the biggest power play move of all time.

Edited by Texas25

The idea of Charlie >>> the actual Charlie

Also you can’t hire an OC that we repeatedly buttfucked at two other schools in our conference and expect us not to notice.

So I was hopeful but hardly optimistic. And then it was a 3 year shitshow with occasional moments of surprising fleeting success.

He needs to go back to coaching defense somewhere.

• Like 2

That's what Charlie gets for taking most of his staff with him to South Florida. Still hasn't learned anything. 

Note: Last year USF went 10-2 and won the Birmingham Bowl because the cake was baked. Taggert left Charlie with a very talented squad led by Quentin Flowers. This season looks like Charlie left the cake out in the rain or in the oven too long and it burned.  

I think Charlie is a good guy, but there's no question he just didn't get it done here. And the way it went down certainly justified his firing. When you have to dump your offensive coordinator early in one season and then dump your defensive coordinator early in the next, that's on you and you alone. Having to do that once is unfortunate. Having to do it twice is careless. Having to do it back-to-back is incompetent.

I wish Charlie the best at USF, but I'm glad he's gone. 

29 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

That's what Charlie gets for taking most of his staff with him to South Florida. Still hasn't learned anything. 

Note: Last year USF went 10-2 and won the Birmingham Bowl because the cake was baked. Taggert left Charlie with a very talented squad led by Quentin Flowers. This season looks like Charlie left the cake out in the rain or in the oven too long and it burned.  

I bet he'll never have that recipe again!

3 hours ago, Thujone said:

It's facile is what it is.

Charlie wasn't nice. Not any nicer than Mack or Tom or anyone else. He could be brusque, chippy, and unpleasant. And he apparently cheated with a married woman.

He was a guy that knew some things about football but wasn't up to running a program. 

He's sloppy and inattentive in general. He didn't know his players. He didn't know his team. He didn't know HS coaches and he never made an effort to improve. Christ he didn't even know what offense he was running.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if we were aggy we'd have a t-shirt in the bookstore right now.

Yeah aggy gave themselves a couple retroactive championships from the early 20th century. We could do it too if we wanted but claiming century old championships is a good sign of a program that has no faith in winning future championships 

Edited by perfectchaos007

13 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

But some part of me also wanted Charlie (and yes, Shaka) to succeed because having coaches of color might broaden the image of the university. What with all the "Klan" talk going on around that time, I guess I was hoping we could start two of our headline sports down the road toward a more socially acceptable future. Out with the old Mack and Rick, in with the new. Brighter days ahead and all that.

first, I must have missed "all the 'Klan' talk", or maybe my friends aren't as interesting as yours

second, this kind of thinking isn't the only way to get 21 painfully inept football losses in three seasons, but it's among the surest ones

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

first, I must have missed "all the 'Klan' talk", or maybe my friends aren't as interesting as yours

second, this kind of thinking isn't the only way to get 21 painfully inept football losses in three seasons, but it's among the surest ones

You need more interesting friends... or don't be a klansmen pretending not to be a klansmen...

• Like 1

As an alum and 50-year fan of Texas sports, I always want our coach to win. But some part of me also wanted Charlie (and yes, Shaka) to succeed because having coaches of color might broaden the image of the university. What with all the "Klan" talk going on around that time, I guess I was hoping we could start two of our headline sports down the road toward a more socially acceptable future. Out with the old Mack and Rick, in with the new. Brighter days ahead and all that.
But then, before my eyes, I quickly realized neither of the new guys could coach his way out of a wet paper sack. And so, I turned on them both. Diversity ended up not mattering nearly as much to me as competence did. Oh, well.

2a52b2bb155caf042b3dc9755a41c5ed.jpg