So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

I don't understand the Charlie hate.  No, he wasn't good, his coordinators sucked and, yes, he had to go and he's gone.  But FUPM left this program in complete disarray; Charlie inherited a shit sandwich.  Hell, Mackovic left the Texas program in MUCH better shape than FUPM did.

Charlie didn't leave the cake baked but he did leave some key ingredients.  Wish him well in his future endeavors. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Charlie’s deposition transcript was where I knew no matter where he went, he was the dumbest guy in the room

His depo transcript suggests someone with an IQ around 80.  It was tough to read.  I’ve taken hundreds of depositions.  From blue collar guys with no high school to Ph.d types.  And I’ve read hundreds of transcripts  

Going by depos I have taken or read, Strong is one of the dumbest mother fuckers in the United States.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't understand the Charlie hate.  No, he wasn't good, his coordinators sucked and, yes, he had to go and he's gone.  But FUPM left this program in complete disarray; Charlie inherited a shit sandwich.  Hell, Mackovic left the Texas program in MUCH better shape than FUPM did.

Charlie didn't leave the cake baked but he did leave some key ingredients.  Wish him well in his future endeavors. 

I don’t really agree with this.  At all.  

When you hire Shawn Watson and Vance Bedford as your coordinators, you’re pretty much fucked and going to make the talent look much worse than it is. 

And if you have a hole at qb or ol, there are these things called transfers both grad and juco 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Since when does losing 21 games in 3 seasons need so much nuance.  He sucked just hate him like you would anyone else who sucks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't hate Charlie but I think he was a shitty football coach and deserved to be fired. 

I haven't seen any hate in this thread directed at the man personally. I think we can all agree he's a morally sound dude with a smoking hot daughter. I'll drink to that. Not going to drink to hitting the 777 slot jackpot. 

Edited by ztejas
Fixed for multiple reasons
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don’t really agree with this.  At all.  

When you hire Shawn Watson and Vance Bedford as your coordinators, you’re pretty much fucked and going to make the talent look much worse than it is. 

And if you have a hole at qb or ol, there are these things called transfers both grad and juco 

I don't blame him for the roster he inherited. And if he hadn't been so shit-lickingly inept as a coach, he'd have gotten more than three years to build his own roster. I blame him for his choice of assistants and the strategies he employed both macro ("Derrr I don't know what offense Shawn is implementing") and micro ("Derrr you can take the ball both halves UCLA"), which are kind of important for a head coach to do well.

So fuck him. 

I don't blame him for the roster he inherited. And if he hadn't been so shit-lickingly inept as a coach, he'd have gotten more than three years to build his own roster. I blame him for his choice of assistants and the strategies he employed both macro ("Derrr I don't know what offense Shawn is implementing") and micro ("Derrr you can take the ball both halves UCLA"), which are kind of important for a head coach to do well.
So fuck him. 

Nobody mentioned the purge. I was pissed at first but in hindsight, most of the purged players didn’t amount to shit.

16 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I don’t remember anyone supporting him after the Kansas lost on the old site.

This thread has a lot of Makovician anger directed towards him. It was obvious that he was in over his head which was exacerbated by a shitty AD but he seemed like a decent guy. I guess I’m too much of a bleeding heart.

Everyone posted the reasons why he sucked so no need to rehash everything. He’s set in his ways and almost 60, rich with a hot wife so he should just retire. Wonder if he’d have a shot at a NFL DC though.

PS, Someone post pics of his daughters to lighten things up. Sorry DeShon.

Not Mackovickian anger. McWilliamsian anger. Defensive-minded coach, wonderful guy, shitty head coach who looked like a good choice at the time, pleasantly surprised us once.

• Like 2

My most vivid Charlie memory remains that 2015 opener with Notre Dame. The one where Shawn Watson showed those newfangled younger coaches a thing or two by taking his sh***y, tired old offense and just running the same tired s**t faster. Amusingly, that just made it worse. And, yes, I laughed during the game--one of those situations where you either have to laugh or cry. 

We were on national TV, and we simply did not belong on the same field as Notre Dame. And there was Charlie on the sidelines, looking all confused and pissed as if he'd never seen Watson's constipated, turtle-humping-a-rock offense before in his life. Notre Dame could have crushed us by sixty if they'd really wanted to. I think even they were too sickened by our ineptitude to want to club that turtle any more.

Good times.  

42 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Not Mackovickian anger. McWilliamsian anger. Defensive-minded coach, wonderful guy, shitty head coach who looked like a good choice at the time, pleasantly surprised us once.

Where did his super nice guy reputation come from? Did he have a bunch of meet & greets? This has been going around forever and I've never understood how it came about.

I've said it in other threads but the people I know that spent time with him never used the word 'nice' to describe him. He's an alpha dude with an alpha temperament.

Edited by Disco Missile

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

He ruined Saturday after Saturday for me for 3 years. It felt like someone breaking into my house and cleaning it out.

He was paid millions for that. He’s still being paid millions for that. I hate a thief. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

He ruined Saturday after Saturday for me for 3 years. It felt like someone breaking into my house and cleaning it out.
He was paid millions for that. He’s still being paid millions for that. I hate a thief. 

Mack ruined almost every Saturday for me from 2010 on and stole more.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stunns38 said:

I bitched about him, too, starting with my “Fuck you, Mack Brown” thread during the 2010 Iowa State game. I contributed $100 to the banner fund. 

Are you insinuating something?

• Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

In the hall of Texas coaches, Mack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Charlie.

We were bad from 2010-2013 but we weren't 21 losses in 3 years bad. 

6 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

No matter how many times I see this picture, I am equal parts shocked and confused.

That's an optical effect of pincushion distortion where objects at edges are stretched out.  Also with a wide angle lens (for shooting close to the subject), items closer to the camera will be exaggerated in scale.

In this case his fingers are way closer than his body is, giving it a stretched appearance.

Sorry to disappoint the rest of the folks

6 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Where did his super nice guy reputation come from? Did he have a bunch of meet & greets? This has been going around forever and I've never understood how it came about.

I've said it in other threads but the people I know that spent time with him never used the word 'nice' to describe him. He's an alpha dude with an alpha temperament.

I would say he is an alpha potato among other spuds in the same sack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

One of the things that has impressed me most about Herman after Strong is how he attacked Juco and grad transfers.

Remember that Herman did not inherit Calvin Anderson, Gary Johnson, or Tre Watson.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say our season plays out differently without those three. 

He also saw that oline was our biggest weakness in year one and brought Hand on staff, which appears to be an absolute slam dunk hire so far. 

Charlie generally seemed too slow/not proactive enough about fixing issues that were clearly going to hurt the team.  Herman isn't perfect here, but he's been effective plugging the biggest needs so far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

That's an optical effect of pincushion distortion where objects at edges are stretched out.  Also with a wide angle lens (for shooting close to the subject), items closer to the camera will be exaggerated in scale.

In this case his fingers are way closer than his body is, giving it a stretched appearance.

Sorry to disappoint the rest of the folks

I’d offer up this if only to say (a) Charlie Strong while he did not do well here is not a bad person (b) while Mack Brown screwed up while imo waiting to become the AD slacked off in recruiting but also won us a championship that is so rare other than in Saban’s reign should be at least applauded (c) so bored with this argument. If we win this weekend. Great! Do we dominate? Is this like Bama? Because I’ve never seen anything like that. (D) if Saban was a possibility as a UT coach “fuck anyone” and I repeat “fuck anyone” and any of your kids and grandkids and their kids that sabotaged that (e) if that circles around to Mack see (d)

• Like 1

Any dickslap can bring talent to the 40 as long as he’s not completely asleep at the wheel. Giving Charlie credit for his recruiting at Texas is like praising your kid for a maintaining a C average. Or crediting the captain of the Titanic for saving 700 lives.  “Could’ve been worse, right?!”

• Like 2

Anyone that watched the Kansas game and then hired Charlie Strong deserves what they get and anyone that did not watch that shit show of a game and hired Charlie Strong deserves what they get.   The simple incompetence of that one game still amazes me. 
USF folks aint the sharpest tool in the box of rocks.

I’d offer up this if only to say (a) Charlie Strong while he did not do well here is not a bad person (b) while Mack Brown screwed up while imo waiting to become the AD slacked off in recruiting but also won us a championship that is so rare other than in Saban’s reign should be at least applauded © so bored with this argument. If we win this weekend. Great! Do we dominate? Is this like Bama? Because I’ve never seen anything like that. (D) if Saban was a possibility as a UT coach “fuck anyone” and I repeat “fuck anyone” and any of your kids and grandkids and their kids that sabotaged that (e) if that circles around to Mack see (d)
Mack didn't win that championship. One Vincent Paul Young won the championship. Vince told ol butter teeth and his untrained monkey gdgd to fuck off, he's got it. And Vince DID have it. Mack and gdgd would have pissed it all away if they had kept forcing their mindless shit on the offense.
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

The cupboard wasn't half as bare as the Charlie lovefest wanted us to believe.  Mack was far from perfect, particularly at the end, but he had enough talent to win 8 games his last year and I guarantee we would have won more than 16 games over the next three years had Mack stayed.  The biggest problem Mack had was staying Manny _iaz after year 2.  He didn't want to have full turnover of the staff again so quickly and after Harsin bolted, he chose to stick with _iaz.  

It was time for Mack to go, but Strong was just a lazy hire.  He wasn't that great at Louisville and his on the field game was practically a mirror of Mack (underperforming offenses, failed to rise to the level on too many big games, etc.).  There were plenty of coaches out there that could have fixed the entitlement issues of the players without wrecking the program.

Strong may have left more talent than Brown did, I think that's debatable given how thin we still are at so many positions, but one thing that Mack left that Charlie didn't was an expectation to win.  The players Charlie left expected to lose.  That should NEVER happen at Texas.

Edited by Hellraiser97
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Hellraiser97 said:

The cupboard wasn't half as bare as the Charlie lovefest wanted us to believe. 

I used to make fun of the Mackolytes that said "IN MACK'S LAST SEASON WE WERE TIED AT HALFTIME OF THE DE FACTO BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME" because a) it never felt like that team had a prayer in hell of actually beating Baylor that day and b) not only did we end up losing by 20, we lost by about that many points five times that season, so the implication that we were just soooo close to the BCS was laughable.

But our 2013 team would have whipped any of Charlie's three teams. I couldn't believe we REGRESSED, I thought for sure he'd make us at WORST a 21st century version of the 1991 team.

• Like 1