So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

He was a good/great defensive coordinator back in the day but every dime he earned as a head coach was found money 

Turns out to be true, but I remember some guy being loudly accused of being a racist for saying something similar back when he was hired here. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Snacks said:

never had a QB while here... just like any school that isn't Alabama, can't win without a QB.

didn't get the initial offensive staff right,and made it worse.

gotta score points.

Nowithstanding the fact that he couldn't spell CAT even if you spotted him the C and the A ...

The worst coach in the history of Texas football by all measurables.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

never had a QB while here... just like any school that isn't Alabama, can't win without a QB.

didn't get the initial offensive staff right,and made it worse.

gotta score points.

Didn't recruit a single transfer QB in a market that was ripe with them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

Nowithstanding the fact that he couldn't spell CAT even if you spotted him the C and the A ...

The worst coach in the history of Texas football by all measurables.

In today's climate you have to be careful saying anything that's even remotely critical of CS--he's black, you know. 

57 minutes ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

In today's climate you have to be careful saying anything that's even remotely critical of CS--he's black, you know. 

No you don't.

Strong's teams at Texas weren't good. At times they seemed completely unprepared (Notre Dame 2015 comes to mind). The offense his first two years under Watson (whom he hired) was awful, then the defense in '16 (which was Strong's calling card) was terrible. He lost to an awful Kansas team. He did a poor job at Texas.

All of those things are true and I doubt anyone will disagree with me about them. 

• Like 6

Didn't recruit a single transfer QB in a market that was ripe with them
Heard was supposed to be the guy.

but they did (lightly) recruite the juco kid from the valley... eh... i can't recall... but ended up at VT.

any D1 xfer would have come after year 1, would have had to sit year 2, then get to learn a new offense in year 3...

wouldn't have made a difference... i dont recall any difference maker transfers.

2 hours ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

nobody who was even moderately informed about Charlie Skrong Texas Footballing thought race had anything to do with his incompetent ass getting fired

no head coach of any race should have been allowed back into his office after the TCU game in 2015, anyway, and I think Strong knows that, which is why all he did was mumble some more stupid shit about cakes on the way out the door

No you don't.
Strong's teams at Texas weren't good. At times they seemed completely unprepared (Notre Dame 2015 comes to mind). The offense his first two years under Watson (whom he hired) was awful, then the defense in '16 (which was Strong's calling card) was terrible. He lost to an awful Kansas team. He did a poor job at Texas.
All of those things are true and I doubt anyone will disagree with me about them. 
all of this is correct.

there are reasons, but football is about outcomes (except for retread guys who've done nothing but win 7 games a year and keep doing just enough nothing to not completely fail.)
  • Like 1

Charlie's legacy will be that of a leader who saw his players quit on him. He was one of the worst head coaches college football has seen in the last 30 years. When you're down 12 against Oklahoma State and you punt on their side of the field, that should have been the sign you needed to fire him. At least a loss to Kansas with an interim head coach would have been easier to swallow. Now we have to live with that shame for a long time and Charlie got paid. Good for you Charlie. Congrats on your pay day. You and Kurt can celebrate together 

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

No you don't.

his special teams were "special" as well

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Snacks said:

Heard was supposed to be the guy.

but they did (lightly) recruite the juco kid from the valley... eh... i can't recall... but ended up at VT.

any D1 xfer would have come after year 1, would have had to sit year 2, then get to learn a new offense in year 3...

wouldn't have made a difference... i dont recall any difference maker transfers.

This is so wrong, it’s funny. Texas didn’t seriously recruit either Jerod Evans (VT Juco) or Riley Ferguson (JUCO who went to Memphis and was really good). Both would’ve come to Texas if Texas really tried for them. Both were difference makers and would’ve been massive upgrades over Swoopes/TR FR Beuchele. 

A D1 transfer who’s a third or fourth year in college, also would’ve been a huge upgrade over those guys. We should all thank our lucky stars Strong couldn’t figure out he had a huge hole at QB, because any of those options in 2016 probably save his job for at least another year, but he absolutely fucked up in this area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Charlie's legacy will be that of a leader who saw his players quit on him. He was one of the worst head coaches college football has seen in the last 30 years. 

Charlie sucked here, but this kind of hyperbole is what brings unnecessary validity to claims of racism. There’s no way “one of the worst head coach coaches in 30 years” could have an overall winning record at HC. Not by all that slim a margin either or in a tiny sample size, 74-53. You can think he sucked at Texas while recognizing that overall as a head corch he’s been mediocre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Charlie sucked here, but this kind of hyperbole is what brings unnecessary validity to claims of racism. There’s no way “one of the worst head coach coaches in 30 years” could have an overall winning record at HC.

Yes, he should have said "THE worst head coach at Texas in school history," so no one would be confused by what he meant. He was inexcusably bad here. The worst coach in our history. He did less with more than just about any coach in CFB history. Just to be clear.

• Like 1

This is so wrong, it’s funny. Texas didn’t seriously recruit either Jerod Evans (VT Juco) or Riley Ferguson (JUCO who went to Memphis and was really good). Both would’ve come to Texas if Texas really tried for them.

I don’t remember much of it, but if this for real?

22 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You couldn’t say anything bad about the guy when he was hired without hearing that.

When you pointed out how awful he was on Shaggy the first two years the "racist" card was always thrown out.  A lot threw it out when he got fired.

Although I suspect some of that was their desperate attempt to show that Mack Brown was the worst coach ever as they had been claiming for 10 years and not being able to stand being wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Charlie sucked here, but this kind of hyperbole is what brings unnecessary validity to claims of racism. There’s no way “one of the worst head coach coaches in 30 years” could have an overall winning record at HC. Not by all that slim a margin either or in a tiny sample size, 74-53. You can think he sucked at Texas while recognizing that overall as a head corch he’s been mediocre. 

Wtf does what he said have to do with race?

Answer: Absolutely nothing

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is so wrong, it’s funny. Texas didn’t seriously recruit either Jerod Evans (VT Juco) or Riley Ferguson (JUCO who went to Memphis and was really good). Both would’ve come to Texas if Texas really tried for them. Both were difference makers and would’ve been massive upgrades over Swoopes/TR FR Beuchele. 

A D1 transfer who’s a third or fourth year in college, also would’ve been a huge upgrade over those guys. We should all thank our lucky stars Strong couldn’t figure out he had a huge hole at QB, because any of those options in 2016 probably save his job for at least another year, but he absolutely fucked up in this area. 

Strong didn’t know his starting quarterback’s name.  You expect him to be able to add transfers and know their names too?

9 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

So damned incredible to lose to Kansas. I was glad it meant we would be rid of Charlie, but damn.

I thought Mackovick was a tool, but he at least fielded some teams.

We were a cunt hair away from losing to them last year....at home. And yet some people are 100% convinced Herman is the man. 

• Like 1