So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m just keeping it going long enough for this moron to get neg banned. 

You guys are trying to neg ban over a difference of opinion. How silly is that? I have been a part of this board(the other board as well) since 2008.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are trying to neg ban over a difference of opinion. How silly is that? I have been a part of this board(the other board as well) since 2008.

Filthy fucking casual, you are. 2008? Geez, I've been defending idiotic points of view on message boards since 1992, and somehow have managed not to get crowdsourced over them. It's not that you have a different opinion, it's that you're being a festering cunt sore about it.

56 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

What part don't you get. He hurt his shoulder vs Tulane which is why he didn't play the next game. They were 7-1 when he went out. He came back two games later for 82 yards. Obviously he still wasn't right, so they pulled him again. Funny how they were 7-1 when the QB got hurt which clearly shows they were doing well, and you still don't want to acknowledge that maybe that was why they took such a sharp turn.

John Burt
Kris Boyd
Tre Watson
PJ Locke
Jerrod Heard
Davante Davis
Gary Johnson
Breckyn Hager
Anthony Wheeler
Andrew Beck
Elijah Rodriguez
Patrick Vahe
Charles Omenihu
Chris Nelson

Those are all the guys we are losing next year. We are a QB shoulder injury away from having something like that happen to us. Everyone is talking big shit when we could very well take a step back next year. Then how dumb would we look talking shit about Charlie if we go 7-6, 9-5, 7-6, and Charlie goes 10-2, 8-5, and 10-2 over the three years since he left? Sometimes you have to have a little foresight.

From the article in OP:

"I mean... you’ve seen USF play this year, right?

Even when the Bulls were winning, they weren’t impressing anyone. They needed three comebacks from down double digits in the fourth quarter to win games. Their only conference wins were against Tulsa, ECU, and UConn, who won a combined two league games this season (because that’s how many games they played against each other). The Bulls got out to a totally bogus 7-0 record against one of the worst schedules in the country. Then they got exposed by Houston, the first team they met who could match them on raw talent. Then they lost badly to Tulane and Cincinnati, blew a 17-0 lead to Temple, and... whatever the hell that was today against C. There’s absolutely no way this team wins a bowl game in its current state, so that’ll be a 7-6 finish with a six-game losing streak."

This absurd narrative you're trying to spin that USF was rolling until their starting QB got hurt is baseless, made-up nonsense.

All kidding aside, I like Charlie and wish him success in the future.  It's fun to snark when seeing some of the same mistakes at USF that angered us here, but he seems to be a good man who gave his best here.  It didn't work out, but I can't hate the guy for it after he leaves.  Hope he has a long and successful stint at USF, or gets another shot at a P5.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

And this is the most accurate post on this board. People forget that Charlie walked into Miami NW High School and convinced Teddy Bridgewater, a 5 star QB, to forego all the powerhouse programs and go play for Louisville. Charlie recruited well at Louisville and they won. He recruited well at Florida and S Carolina. Give him a solid QB and he has shown he can win. He never had that here. Sure, it was his fault he missed on his recruits. That said he left. I hope he does well wherever he is, as well as Mack at UNC.

I'll bite on this.  If we can say "Herman wouldn't have been any better but for Sam Ehlinger in 2018," can we not also say "Holy shit, how bad would Charlie Strong have been without D'Onta Foreman in 2016?"

3 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Just right.  I could hardly care less about Charlie Strong right now.

He's the past and we've moved on.  Why dwell on it when the future looks bright?

I’m dwelling on it because national media, Texas haters (aggy & gooner in particular), and USF fans were trying to chastise the fans and administration as if we were being oh so unfair to Charlie. Herb calling us a cesspool and insinuating that Charlie is gonna go somewhere else and spread his wings with out big bad mean Texas and thier big greedy evil donors holding him back.

I’m kinda tired of being told I have unrealistic expectations when I’m expecting a program with the numerous advantages and resources we have to atleast make a fuckin bowl. That’s my only point here. I like Charlie as a person and hope he does well tbh but he’s just better as a coordinator imho

• Like 8

I understand the dislike for Mack Brown, even though I always appreciated him for the title and returning us to a top tier program. Yet people let their hatred of him get in the way of appreciating and properly respecting his accomplishments.

What I can't understand is people dismissing criticism of Strong for actually being the worst coach we've ever had, and go digging for nuggets of goodness in the pile of shit he gave to us.

Even worse are the people that carry water for the man. Especially when it's often the same people that hate Mack Brown with such passion.

Edited by Disco Missile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

John Burt
Kris Boyd
Tre Watson
PJ Locke
Jerrod Heard
Davante Davis
Gary Johnson
Breckyn Hager
Anthony Wheeler
Andrew Beck
Elijah Rodriguez
Patrick Vahe
Charles Omenihu
Chris Nelson

Those are all the guys we are losing next year. 

You're making one of my points for me. This class is effectively the end of the Charlie Strong era, and our roster has holes because of his chintzy recruiting.

Next year we'll have 2-4 senior starters on offense (if CJ9 and LJH return) and maybe 5 on defense. 

Under Herman we're finally building quality depth, especially on the lines, and redshirting players that would benefit from it. Next year almost all of our top contributors will be Juniors and below along with whatever transfers we can bring in. 

Then, as you say, we won't be a shoulder injury away from disaster. But that's where late Mack and Charlie left us.

56 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’m dwelling on it because national media, Texas haters (aggy & gooner in particular), and USF fans were trying to chastise the fans and administration as if we were being oh so unfair to Charlie. Herb calling us a cesspool and insinuating that Charlie is gonna go somewhere else and spread his wings with out big bad mean Texas and thier big greedy evil donors holding him back.

I’m kinda tired of being told I have unrealistic expectations when I’m expecting a program with the numerous advantages and resources we have to atleast make a fuckin bowl. That’s my only point here. I like Charlie as a person and hope he does well tbh but he’s just better as a coordinator imho

Fucking word.

47 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I understand the dislike for Mack Brown, even though I always appreciated him for the title and returning us to a top tier program. Yet people let their hatred of him get in the way of appreciating and properly respecting his accomplishments.

What I can't understand is people dismissing criticism of Strong for actually being the worst coach we've ever had, and go digging for nuggets of goodness in the pile of shit he gave to us.

Even worse are the people that carry water for the man. Especially when it's often the same people that hate Mack Brown with such passion.

Every coach has his good and bad. Mack Brown is basically a muffed punt better than Fred Akers. But there was definitely a narrative about Strong (see A'Dam Psycho above) being put down by the "big bad Texas culture" and there were definitely some recruits and he was definitely the worst head coach we'd ever had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm actually excited cdt23 is back.

should be fun. hopefully he can maniacally latch onto something related to herman so we can watch the insanity unfold.

It's pretty clearly P, not cdt23. ztejas is cdt23. He's always on the verge of calling everyone who doesn't agree with his views a racist, but usually doesn't have the temerity to do it.

I'll say this, watching someone actually defend Chuckles, at this point, as anything but a fucking rube in the chair, is something to behold. We're talking about the worst coach in Texas history, by a wide margin, sandwiched on both sides by coaches with better records. Even the basics are in sharp relief on this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

You're making one of my points for me. This class is effectively the end of the Charlie Strong era, and our roster has holes because of his chintzy recruiting.

Next year we'll have 2-4 senior starters on offense (if CJ9 and LJH return) and maybe 5 on defense. 

Under Herman we're finally building quality depth, especially on the lines, and redshirting players that would benefit from it. Next year almost all of our top contributors will be Juniors and below along with whatever transfers we can bring in. 

Then, as you say, we won't be a shoulder injury away from disaster. But that's where late Mack and Charlie left us.

Technically the holes are from all the players Herman got rid of his first year. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

If you looking for anything good to say about Charlie, beating Baylor in 2016 would be a good place to start. 

Wasn’t that the game where their only qb left threw some early picks and we got out to a big lead, then they switched to the single wing and cranked off about 400 rushing yards without a qb in the game and almost came back?

while defensive guru charlie and Vance couldn’t work it out?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wasn’t that the game where their only qb left threw some early picks and we got out to a big lead, then they switched to the single wing and cranked off about 400 rushing yards without a qb in the game and almost came back?

That was in 2015.

We managed to go 2-0 against them while fielding two of the worst Texas teams in recent memory.

5 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

RIP People who thought Strong was any good

4 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Didn’t Baylor do something like this recently too?

Edit: just looked it up, in 2016 Baylor went from 6-0 to 6-6.

Colorado Buffaloes went 5-0 to start the season and then...

...finished 5-7.  https://cubuffs.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=453

Not shockingly, they experienced a "Regime Change". I'm not sure if Charlie like Pitbull & KE$HA, but he should get familiar with this song living in Florida and coaching like he's coaching...

...Charlie is going down.

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

how funny is it that at the time, this seemed like an insanely racist statement by an old coot, and now five years later... maybe not inaccurate

I wonder how many of the guys that got run off in 2014 weren't actually in the wrong. It's probably not zero. At the time I thought fuck yeah, you show 'em Charlie, kick that Mack Brown deadweight out of the program and go to war like Iowa State's Dirty Thirty. Now I pretty much question everything I thought from December 2013 until the merciful, merciful ending

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see who he grabs for OC with Gilbert leaving.  I feel like the Watson to Gilbert move was forced on him initially, but then he did bring Gilbert along to USF so he must have seen something there. 

Wonder if he's learned enough to actually get a good offensive guy or if he'll revert to his mean and hire Shawn Watson part two.

If he's going to have any hope at USF he needs a great OC.  His defenses haven't been stopping anyone so they'll need to win shootouts. Really baffling how bad many of his defenses have been as a HC considering his reputation. 

25 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Will be interesting to see who he grabs for OC with Gilbert leaving.  I feel like the Watson to Gilbert move was forced on him initially, but then he did bring Gilbert along to USF so he must have seen something there. 

Wonder if he's learned enough to actually get a good offensive guy or if he'll revert to his mean and hire Shawn Watson part two.

If he's going to have any hope at USF he needs a great OC.  His defenses haven't been stopping anyone so they'll need to win shootouts. Really baffling how bad many of his defenses have been as a HC considering his reputation. 

We have a gently used Tim Beck we can offload.

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Earlier this year, I was going to start a thread titled "Charlie Strong is quietly 6-0" just to see what the reaction would be.  I decided not too.  Good move.  

I was going to make a thread to troll Texans fans when they were 0-3. I decided not to. Also a good move. 

• Haha 1

With USF trailing 28-7 and facing fourth-and-goal from the 4 with nine seconds remaining, Strong opted for a 22-yard Coby Weiss field goal.

"I didn't want to leave out of there with no points, because we were down what, 21-7?" said Strong, whose team actually was down 28-7 at that point. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/12/20/usf-goes-out-with-a-whimper-in-38-20-gasparilla-bowl-loss/

Shocked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Really baffling how bad many of his defenses have been as a HC considering his reputation. 

This, exactly. I remember when he was hired I thought that he would at least produce good to great defenses each year. Holy hell. 

I'm in the camp that doesn't hold a grudge against the guy; but I am really glad we moved on swiftly. 

• Like 3

That was the one where Rapelor ran out the clock on themselves.

“when you don’t tackle well, you don’t execute, you don’t play well, that’s what happens.”

“First three tries we didn’t get it... I didn’t want to leave out of there with no points,”

“you wanted to go out and just win this game and just stop the slide...”

Same ol Chuckles.