New Computer Build

capnamerca

On 11/27/2018 at 3:56 PM, capnamerca said:

There was a thread on the old site, but haven't seen one here. My current build is getting onto about 6 years old, and it's loud and big and frankly, ugly :). Plus, I don't need things like spinning hard drives, and 5 PCIe slots anymore. So I'm putting together a miniITX build and shooting for silent operation under normal workloads. Just pulled the trigger on the following:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • ASrock Fata1ity B450 AM4 Mobo (4x SATA3, USBa+c, 802.11ac, BT4+)
  • G.Skill Ripjaws PC4 24000 (3000mhz) DDR4 RAM - 16GB
  • Noctua L9x65 CPU cooler (known to be basically silent)
  • Corsair RM750x PSU (fan doesn't run <40% load)
  • Powercolor RX570 4GB GPU
  • Cooler Master Elite 130 case

Should be smaller, quieter, and cleaner vs. my current build (i5 + R7300 + ATX form factor).

What about you? Any other nerds out there?

My desktop decided to crap out last week. Couldn’t get a repair to take, so pulled the trigger on a new box pretty similar to specs above except went with a 2400g for onboard, a gigabyte b450 chipset with 2xhdmi and 1xdp, and the CM 110 case. Anybody have any experience with the noise level of the stock AMD fan? Should I pull the trigger on the CPU fan to? Doesn’t have to be absolutely silent but I plan to move it up to the desk and don’t want to listen to the thing all day. 

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My desktop decided to crap out last week. Couldn’t get a repair to take, so pulled the trigger on a new box pretty similar to specs above except went with a 2400g for onboard, a gigabyte b450 chipset with 2xhdmi and 1xdp, and the CM 110 case. Anybody have any experience with the noise level of the stock AMD fan? Should I pull the trigger on the CPU fan to? Doesn’t have to be absolutely silent but I plan to move it up to the desk and don’t want to listen to the thing all day. 

I bought the Noctua L9x65 due to it's reputation for true silence, and then never put it on because the stock cooler with the Ryzen does a DAMN fine job. I ran a bunch of benchmarking/burn in testing, and the GPU fan is way louder under load than the CPU fan. I know you're using onboard graphics, but I think you'll be more than happy with the stock fan. If not, let me know and you can buy my Noctua cheap, since my lazy ass forgot to return it to newegg in time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Oh, and biggest structural change from current setup is move to 1tb m2 ssd for system drive. Will dump all my spinning drives and move all additional storage to my drobo. 

Do some research on the NVMe drives >1TB. There are sector-size issues that prevent you from encrypting windows in some scenarios. I don't know much about it since I'm on regular SSDs, but I saw a report the other day. May not matter to you in the end but forewarned is forearmed.

• Like 1

The stock fan on a Ryzen 7 is very quiet. Can’t speak for the fan you have.

3 hours ago, GottaB said:

The stock fan on a Ryzen 7 is very quiet. Can’t speak for the fan you have.

Agree- running R7-2700 processors in a Cooler Master N200 mini tower and in an Elite 130 mini itx box (desktop pc and video/ backup server).  No problems w/ the stock AMD fan.

spacer.png

I love the smell of a fresh OS install in the evening. 

Fun fact: Windows, performance-wise, doesn't give a shit if you change the underlying hardware, and hasn't since Windows XP at the latest. I think last time I fresh installed Windows on my main computer was Windows 7 when I ran a C2Q. Pushing the power button on a brand new box just to have everything exactly where you left it smells way better.

I’ve been in the Mac universe for about a decade. Their offerings have lost my attention and I decided this was an opportunity to build my own. It’s mainly for web surfing but I do play some games on PS4. I used to play computer games way back in the day so I figured I’d like the option to play on PC.

So the goal was for a solid performer for $1200. I found some deals so let’s hope the parts don’t crap out.

Bonus I should get three games as promotions with the parts purchased.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

For those hesitant to build a new computer, do it. YouTube made the process doable.

Got this up and running. Not without issues. Trying to create a Windows bootable thumb drive on a Mac was more difficult that it should have been. Evidently using the given Mac default utilities you cannot create a thumb drive with an iso file greater than 5gb. The Macbook I was using had 40gb of free space and the thumb drive was 128gb so plenty of space, but the process froze and provided a partial boot without all the needed drivers. When I tried to use the partially completed boot usb to start my build up, windows would try to install but gave me a generic error code about needing media drivers. Nothing online could tell me what was going on. YouTube and forums and windows support boards were of no use. I tried a bunch of crap. I finally found a comment on a YouTube video that pointed out the 5gb limit and suggested using a different windows 10 version. You cannot use the latest update but rather the update from April of last year. It was small enough. After that, roses.

I got the Arkham bundle on steam a few weeks ago so I played a little Arkham knight. Beautiful. I don’t think I can play that game with a keyboard. I was fumbling around for about 10 minutes then hooked up a dualshock controller. That mostly works except the on screen button hints are for an Xbox controller and the X button is in the wrong spot. Very confusing.

I used kinguin for my license keys. Mac and office for $40.

Buying the ryzen chip and compatible card got me 3 free newly released games.

I got resident evil 2 remake (new engine) downloaded last night. Haven’t played. The division 2 and devil may cry 5 should be available in a few weeks.

6 hours ago, elfenix said:
10 hours ago, Anastasis said:
spacer.png

I love the smell of a fresh OS install in the evening. 

Fun fact: Windows, performance-wise, doesn't give a shit if you change the underlying hardware, and hasn't since Windows XP at the latest. I think last time I fresh installed Windows on my main computer was Windows 7 when I ran a C2Q. Pushing the power button on a brand new box just to have everything exactly where you left it smells way better.

Wasn't an option in this case.  Errors appear to indicate corrupted boot configuration files and repairing failed.  That being said, it's my dogma to install clean when upgrading the motherboard. Forces a fresh start with an uncluttered system.  Add back in what you actually use and need as required.  I get years out of my desktops, so its a manageable process a couple times every decade.  

I'll have to post my build when I get back in town so your OCD can run wild. I literally have screws sticking out the side because the cable length on my PC fan made it a megabitch to mount on the side. My cable management is even worse. And my SSD is just sitting on my PSU 😂

On installing your OS - I had a CD but no optical drive. So I just swapped drives in my laptop, used its optical drive to install, swapped the SSD back and it worked like a charm. 

Stock Ryzen fan is great as others have said. And purty. I added 2 case fans but didn't really need them - just wanted my GPU to run a little cooler and give it a bit more room to OC. 

if you've got a microcenter (houston and dallas surly), the first gen Ryzen R5 1600 is down to $80 and has the $30 off compatible boards (just added that promo back to this processor).  you're looking at the chip and a B450 board starting at $130 after taxes.  very hot.