The 2019 NBA Draft

Goo Punch

31 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

serious? theyre on the court wearing these: 

Image result for 3d glasses

theyre primarily wings...thatll play tough D usually against the opposing teams best scorer, and on offense they camp beyond the arc and knock down 3s at an effective rate. Tony Allen, Robert Covington, Andre Roberson type players

Thanks.... Lol 😆 

Are Andre Iguodala and Bruce Bowen examples??  

I guess this Washington player might qualify...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

Roberson hardly counts. He's a career 25% guy from 3.

Yeah, Roberson and Allen were pretty terrible examples. Both are offensive liabilities. Iggy is a poor example too even though he does contribute offensively, but more as a passer and fast break guru than as a spot up shooter.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

serious? theyre on the court wearing these: 

Image result for 3d glasses

theyre primarily wings...thatll play tough D usually against the opposing teams best scorer, and on offense they camp beyond the arc and knock down 3s at an effective rate. Tony Allen, Robert Covington, Andre Roberson type players

Do Tony Allen and Andre Roberson really count lol?

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the ultimate 3&d guy is klay.  kawhi used to be 3&d til a couple years ago.  

I don't really see Klay as a 3&D guy because of his movement and what that opens up offensively. He's also nails in the mid-range.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

I saw him play 3 times at the 3 on 3 tournament they had at the Mall of America during the Final Four and he shot like shit there too, but his footwork/movement and little push offs to get himself open for shots was pretty incredible up close.   The guy from Hofstra that was drafted last night was playing there too, he was the best player there ...he douched both the big 12 an ACC within an hour

Edited by michaelpshayes

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't really see Klay as a 3&D guy because of his movement and what that opens up offensively. He's also nails in the mid-range.

klay's not as pure (he does other things well) of a 3&d guy as say PJ tucker so i can see what you're saying.  

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

klay's not as pure (he does other things well) of a 3&d guy as say PJ tucker so i can see what you're saying.  

Whenever I hear 3-and-D, I immediately default to Bruce Bowen standing in the corner for 24 seconds. But, outside of Houston, I guess that doesn't really exist. 

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the ultimate 3&d guy is klay.  kawhi used to be 3&d til a couple years ago.  

Kawhi was never a 3 and D guy. He didn't come into the league as a good shooter and has always had more dimension to his offensive game than just spotting up. 

6 hours ago, Llogg said:

Roberson hardly counts. He's a career 25% guy from 3.

which is literally lower than every Center save for andre drummond and jarrett allen.  90% of his points are feeds in the paint from westbrook cuz god knows he cant hit FTs either

31 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

which is literally lower than every Center save for andre drummond and jarrett allen.  90% of his points are feeds in the paint from westbrook cuz god knows he cant hit FTs either

He was the biggest problem for OKC when they blew the series against GSW. KD and RW were both pretty bad but his inability to even take an open shot allowed GSW to clog the lane and prevent OKC from attacking the basket. 

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

I'll take Robert Horry on my team as a 3 and D guy, although he could be considered a 4 and D guy.

I’d give Robert Horry $5m/yr to sit at home all year, show up for playoff games, and only actually play if my team had the ball down 3 or less with less than 5 seconds to play.  I’d give him that today.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kawhi was never a 3 and D guy. He didn't come into the league as a good shooter and has always had more dimension to his offensive game than just spotting up. 

depends on how you define it.  like klay, he did more than shoot 3s (obviously i'm talking about 2018 and before).  he scored from all over the court.  but he most definitely was an above average 3p% shooter and attempted more 3s than pj tucker did his past two years.  you could call him a 3andD+.  but if your definition of 3andD is JUST specializing in 3s and playing above average defense against several positions then yeah i see your point.  

Great discussion on 3&D players....

Found a couple things:

1) What is 3 and D?

A 3 and D player is a term used for one of the most valuable commodities in the NBA.   A combination of recent rule changes and an increased emphasis on statistical analysis has created a niche for a group of players who once were afterthoughts.  A player who can stretch the defense by making three pointers and guard multiple positions on the other end has become a necessity for any team intent on competing in the modern NBA. This recent trend can best be seen in the immense contracts given this offseason to prototypical “3 and D” players. Guys like Wesley Matthews, Danny Green, Khris Middleton and DeMarre Carroll, in another time, would be relegated to “role player” status. Now, all four are pulling in 8 figures a year.

2) Old articles discussing 3&D players. 

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/8/17/4626210/an-attempt-to-find-and-rank-the-leagues-best-3-and-d-role-players   

https://theloveofhoops.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/finding-the-best-3-d-players/  

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2016/08/31/the-importance-of-the-3-and-d-player-in-the-nba/  

The NBA

Marks: The league will need to take a hard look at changing the rules when it comes to the timing of official moves around the draft and free agency.

Had the NBA started the new salary-cap calendar year before the draft, De'Andre Hunter, Jarrett Culver, Jaxson Hayes and Cameron Johnson -- all selected in the top 11 -- would not have needed to masquerade as they walked across the stage, representing teams that traded their rights elsewhere.

The four players were part of deals that can not be finalized yet. These players also will miss the beginning of summer league practices and games until these trades are finalized on July 6.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27015334/the-nba-draft-biggest-first-round-winners-losers

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Just make the end of the season officially the day after the game 7 of  the finals is scheduled.  No moratorium.  I'm not sure what the point of all that shit is.  The fact that they moved free agency from midnight to 6pm means they know it's stupid.  

The moratorium calls for the freeze of all business so that the league accounting team can close out the business of the past season.   They use the calculations from that to determine the cap for the next season.       FA signings cant properly be determined until the cap number is official

Edited by d2o