The 2019 NBA Draft

Goo Punch

21 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The curse of les Boulez lives ... some say attributed to SJW Abe Pollin changing Washington’s nickname from Bullets to Wizards (as in Ernie Grunfeld’s warm wiz running down an entire city’s leg for about 15 years too long).  Shitty picks compounded by stupid contracts.

How else does one explain their higher pre-draft odds to land the #1 pick than the #9?

They sucked before that

Got to Enjoy the NBA Draft Lottery 
#1 pick goes to NOP (7-9th best odds)
#2 pick goes to MEM (7-9th best odds)
#3 pic goes to NYK (1-3rd best odds)
#4 pick goes to LAL (11th best odds)
Dallas had same odds (7-9th) as NOP & MEM for a Top 4 pick....

Mavs instead lose their 1st Rd pick to ATL because it ended up as the 10th overall pick.... 
giphy.gif
 "Lottery F'n Sucks!!!"

b85d640fc1fd86854b0a64d1a677c446.gif

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Jayson Tatum (if traded)?  Jrue Holiday?  Whoever they picked in this draft if not #1?  I mean winning and losing is generally what drives attendance.  The Knicks being good is probably a far bigger monetary windfall for the NBA.  Of the bottom 10 teams, I think only the Clippers and Indy were in the bottom for percentage of home games attendance.

Right but "it was rigged" sounds better.   I guess.    The NBA would have just had the Knicks win it.    How excited would the league be to have Zion in NYC?   They pushed the whole story for the last week.   The Knicks had the worst record in the league and there wouldn't be many conspiracy claims if they won either.     There are and will be some no matter what team wins it.   Just the nature of the stupid time we live in.

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a Skip Bayless-level-bad take.

If it was PHX (who really needs a PG) and NYC or LA offered a boatload of picks to move down a spot like ORL did to send Webber to GSW then I would take the picks and Morant but that would be the only scenario where it would be reasonable

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a Skip Bayless-level-bad take.

Why? I apologize for not being as convinced as Derka and apparently you for Zions game translating to the NBA. What does Zion do differently than say Julius Randle? Jumps higher? Dunks harder? Are 6'7-6'8 PF's going to contest many shots?

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why? I apologize for not being as convinced as Derka and apparently you for Zions game translating to the NBA. What does Zion do differently than say Julius Randle? Jumps higher? Dunks harder? Are 6'7-6'8 PF's going to contest many shots?

I'm not 100% sold on him being great either.   He will need to watch is weight for one thing.    That may not be an issue with NBA level strength and conditioning teams but it could be a struggle if he doesn't eat well.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but how the hell did Ja Morant end up at Murray St?  Watching his highlights, his skillset is so obvious I can't believe he would have flown under the recruiting radar.  I mean, I don't think Alford ever watched recruits live or even on tape.  He strictly recruited off of 247 star rankings, assuming they new what they were talking about, but I would think real coaches would have seen this kid's talent from a mile away.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but how the hell did Ja Morant end up at Murray St?  Watching his highlights, his skillset is so obvious I can't believe he would have flown under the recruiting radar.  I mean, I don't think Alford ever watched recruits live or even on tape.  He strictly recruited off of 247 star rankings, assuming they new what they were talking about, but I would think real coaches would have seen this kid's talent from a mile away.

It's just one of those improbable stories of players falling through the cracks. Even Murray State wouldn't have noticed him if their assistant hadn't wandered into a random gym - where Morant was playing pickup ball - looking for a concessions stand.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's just one of those improbable stories of players falling through the cracks. Even Murray State wouldn't have noticed him if their assistant hadn't wandered into a random gym - where Morant was playing pickup ball - looking for a concessions stand.

I guess so.  I was intrigued so looked it up.  Great story.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hungry-coach-led-discovery-viral-college-sensation-ja-morant-020738543.html

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is it wrong that I'm more excited to see Morant in the pros than Zion? 

I was hoping the Magic could've got him before they went on their playoff.  I'm definitely interested in seeing him play.

@Sbbruin I asked the same questions about Morant earlier during the season. What was even more perplexing is Morant played AAU ball on the same team as Zion. With talent like his you’d think playing alongside the most heavily recruited player in the last decade would get you more than 2 scholarship offers. 

30 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Pretty sure I heard during the tournament that Murray St had the first offer for him.

I dont know maybe playing on stacked NCAA teams can hurt your exposure.

Yeah if I remember correctly he was loyal to Murray cause they were on him when no one else was.   There are mid major guys all through the playoffs.   Going to one is no longer a hindrance to getting to the league or even being drafted high.

20 hours ago, d2o said:

I'm not 100% sold on him being great either.   He will need to watch is weight for one thing.    That may not be an issue with NBA level strength and conditioning teams but it could be a struggle if he doesn't eat well.

Good thing he's going to a city known for its healthy food.

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Fuck him if he can’t enjoy him some fine chicory coffee and beignets. 

This kid feeling any kind of pressure not to follow in the footsteps of fellow Duke busts Parker & Okafor? 

Meh, honestly there havent been a whole lot of Duke studs in the league.    Plenty of solid guys.   Only a couple of them that really became superstars

On 5/16/2019 at 5:05 PM, d2o said:

Meh, honestly there havent been a whole lot of Duke studs in the league.    Plenty of solid guys.   Only a couple of them that really became superstars

That has more to do with how Duke recruited for a long time than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 1:12 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Still not sold on Zion being a transcending talent. I take Morant and not look back.

Zion played with two other legit NBA talents and him being on the court made them invisible. Watching just a few minutes would make it obvious what a different echelon of athlete he is. He's a Shawn Kemp athlete without the coke habit and 93 kids (so far).

On 5/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, d2o said:

the best athlete to enter the draft since lebron needs to watch his weight? i question whether you guys who doubt him actually watched him play in college. he moves like a gazelle and is strong as an ox, has outstanding footwork for his age, has a high basketball IQ, and demands the entire defense's attention in the half court. and he's never in his life had a problem with his weight. that's a really puzzling take.

i'll never be able to find a clip of the play where Zion really caught my attention, because it isn't the kind of play that someone records and then posts to IG, but it opened my eyes to how unstoppable this guy is.

random half court set for Duke during a game in the early season, but i remember they weren't playing some scrub team, it was a legit opponent. Zion gets the ball on the elbow with his back to the basket, and a help defender comes over to double team lane-side. Zion puts his giant ass into his defender, then does a spin move away from the double team, and in one dribble/before anyone else can even react, he has exploded to the rim for an easy finger roll lay in.

it wasn't a dunk, it wasn't a breakaway, it wasn't a transition play, it was a regular-ass half court set where the most gigantic man on the floor was so much stronger, quicker, faster, and more explosive than everyone else that he was able to create space, do a spin move and score, essentially before anyone could react. 

how on earth anyone could have possibly watched him play in college and question his weight or whether or not he will make it in the NBA is beyond me. hence my assumption y'all simply didn't watch him play. and i know that d2O adheres to a strict policy where he never replies to me (so weak), but i'm seriously curious as to exactly why he thinks Zion won't succeed/has a weight problem/cant handle living in NO with all of that food they have there, as if NYC, Memphis, LA, and every other city in the league don't also have, you know, food.

Edited by Goo Punch

Zion played with two other legit NBA talents and him being on the court made them invisible. Watching just a few minutes would make it obvious what a different echelon of athlete he is. He's a Shawn Kemp athlete without the coke habit and 93 kids (so far).
Trust me.. love his athleticism.. it's insane. Zion the basketball player? To me remains a mystery playing vs nba veterans and not scrawny college basketball players

He has so much more talent than Giannis had entering the league, and he's every bit the freak that The Freak is. People see that he doesn't yet have a great jumper and say he lacks basketball talent- not true. First, his jumper is no worse than LeBron's was entering the league. He's going to improve in that area year on year. 

Second, Zion is so much more than an athlete playing basketball- he's a basketball player who happens to be the most athletic person ever born. His footwork, his ability to maneuver through traffic, his ability to finish with both hands at the rim, his second jump, his timing on rebounds, his *passing ability*, which somehow never gets mentioned despite the fact that he has great vision and can really dish, his open court dribbling skills for a guy his size- i could go on and on. anyone who has truly watched him can see that he is a polished basketball player whose actual skill gets overlooked because he's the craziest athlete we've ever seen. people who question this are the flat earthers/anti-vaxxers of basketball fandom. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

He has so much more talent than Giannis had entering the league, and he's every bit the freak that The Freak is. People see that he doesn't yet have a great jumper and say he lacks basketball talent- not true. First, his jumper is no worse than LeBron's was entering the league. He's going to improve in that area year on year. 
Second, Zion is so much more than an athlete playing basketball- he's a basketball player who happens to be the most athletic person ever born. His footwork, his ability to maneuver through traffic, his ability to finish with both hands at the rim, his second jump, his timing on rebounds, his *passing ability*, which somehow never gets mentioned despite the fact that he has great vision and can really dish, his open court dribbling skills for a guy his size- i could go on and on. anyone who has truly watched him can see that he is a polished basketball player whose actual skill gets overlooked because he's the craziest athlete we've ever seen. people who question this are the flat earthers/anti-vaxxers of basketball fandom. 

You really went out on a limb with the giannis take.

none of what i'm saying gives you ANY reservations about the guy when he's up against the best athletes in the world night in, night out? I know he was great in college. You needing to call him a "polished" basketball player makes me even more skeptical.

But this greatest prospect since lebron take of yours is fucking laughable. He played with the most stacked team in the country.... and shouldve lost to ucf and Virginia tech.

Lol@anyone disagreeing with you is a flat earther. Yep it's called an opinion. Neither of us are right or wrong until we see him 5-10 years from now. NO has a lot on their plate right now with the whole brow saga. Busy busy summer for that team.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You really went out on a limb with the giannis take.

none of what i'm saying gives you ANY reservations about the guy when he's up against the best athletes in the world night in, night out? I know he was great in college. You needing to call him a "polished" basketball player makes me even more skeptical.

But this greatest prospect since lebron take of yours is fucking laughable. He played with the most stacked team in the country.... and shouldve lost to ucf and Virginia tech.

Lol@anyone disagreeing with you is a flat earther. Yep it's called an opinion. Neither of us are right or wrong until we see him 5-10 years from now. NO has a lot on their plate right now with the whole brow saga. Busy busy summer for that team.

where to begin? i have no clue what you even by me "needing" to call him a polished basketball player, or why that would give you more skepticism. total loss as to what you're trying to say. i said that he is a polished basketball player because that's what he is. 

i also never said that he's the best prospect since LeBron, so another swing and a miss there.

and finally, yes, you and anyone else who claims that zion is just an athlete who happens to play basketball/denies that he already has a ton of actual basketball skill is in fact the same as flat earthers/anti-vaxxers- just because you don't believe in a fact doesn't make it not a fact. it's "my opinion" that Zion is a very skilled basketball player the same way it's "my opinion" that Luka Doncic or Ja Morant is a very skilled basketball player.

Edited by Goo Punch

Here's the list of Freshmen to win the Naismith Award:

Kevin Durant

Anthony Davis

Zion Williamson

Thats the list. That's it. And those other two guys are doing ok. People who dominate the NCAA game the way he did at his age make it in basketball. Period. And nobody dominates the way he did without having a ton of basketball talent. Period. 

Polished is a term people use to help their case in arguments like this. People like me who have reservations about zion in the nba vs zion in college.

If he turns out like KD or AD...sure he did great.

So you side stepped my question about zion vs nba players. So you have that going for you

Basically my biggest concern on zion is his jump shot and if teams will respect it. You're guaranteeing on it developing so I'm not changing your mind there.

Hes a sub par FT shooter. Will he be a liability in late game situations at the FT line since he will make a living there with his skill set.

Not a good 3pt shooter in college. I hope he doesnt think he will suddenly turn into one with a 3 or line further away in the nba.

I see Derka found a new dude to fantasize about.

Zion is an awesome athlete, his low post moves are blindingly fast for someone his size. It's the best part of his game. It's easy to look good down low for someone that big and strong in college though, we'll see how it translates but I suspect he'll be fine.

He needs to learn to shoot. Badly. All-stars that can't shoot go home before the NBA finals. Sup, Giannis.

we are clearly talking to people who have only watched his highlights. you people keep talking about him as if he were Shaq, a hulking, back-to-the basket center who plays exclusively in the low post, when the fact is that he's the most exciting player in transition since LeBron James. That's where he excels the most. He can handle the rock, he has great vision and passing instincts for someone his size, his body control is off the charts, and he's fast as shit despite being 285 lbs. he moves around the floor like an all pro running back, gliding through his opponents like they're all going half speed. if you've actually watched him play and you recognize basketball skill when you see it, then aren't characterizing him as someone who bullied a bunch of shrimps in the paint, or questioning whether or not he's going to still be good when he "starts playing against grown men". 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, i could give zero shits if my colorful prose causes someone to ignore the facts that i spit. "gets me in trouble". lol okay.

You make many valid points in your posts. I'm just saying that those are often overshadowed by your so called "colorful prose", resulting in ridicule that is often undeserved. I know you want to be taken seriously and am simply pointing out why you often are not.

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You make many valid points in your posts. I'm just saying that those are often overshadowed by your so called "colorful prose", resulting in ridicule that is often undeserved. I know you want to be taken seriously and am simply pointing out why you often are not.

and again, i'm reiterating that that's a stupid to reason to not take someone seriously. it isn't "so called colorful prose", it is in fact colorful prose, and it's how i talk. does anyone think i'm actually crowning him the greatest athlete ever born? is that really something to get hung up on? i don't think so, and i don't think that it "gets me in trouble" with anybody, i think that there are people here who are never going to like me no matter what i say or do and they're going attribute that to whatever they want and i'm still going to be me.

and by the way, Zion absolutely is one of the most remarkable athletes that humankind has ever seen, so it's especially petty if someone wants to get caught up in me describing him that way. the world of sport has never seen someone with his combination of size, speed, strength, agility, lateral quickness, leaping ability, hand-eye coordination and so on. of all the things to get caught up on, that ain't one of em.

Edited by Goo Punch

we are clearly talking to people who have only watched his highlights. you people keep talking about him as if he were Shaq, a hulking, back-to-the basket center who plays exclusively in the low post, when the fact is that he's the most exciting player in transition since LeBron James. That's where he excels the most. He can handle the rock, he has great vision and passing instincts for someone his size, his body control is off the charts, and he's fast as shit despite being 285 lbs. he moves around the floor like an all pro running back, gliding through his opponents like they're all going half speed. if you've actually watched him play and you recognize basketball skill when you see it, then aren't characterizing him as someone who bullied a bunch of shrimps in the paint, or questioning whether or not he's going to still be good when he "starts playing against grown men". 

Yes dude. We know hes JJ watt who can dribble and dish.

Ben Simmons cant shoot for shit either and look how much flack he gets as a #1 overall pick. I take zion 10/10 over BS but Zion will be on another level of expectations. If hes not dominating the game vs Toronto or Milwaukee like he did vs NC State, Stetson and Virginia...then guess who has a big fucking egg on his face?

No doubt Zion should be fun to watch...but I dont think he has all time great in his career until he adds more of half court game to his arsenal instead of relying on transition run away freight train offense that youre pimping oh so badly. KD and Brow can both operate in half court offenses

"Zion isn't an all time great before he ever plays a game in the NBA." Bold statement, bro.

He's the closest thing to Lebron since Lebron, all the way down to the deficient jumper. If he never develops the moderate shooting touch that Lebron has, sure, he won't achieve greatness, but his floor is basically Blake Griffin.

• Like 1