The France Thread

sidis

On 11/16/2021 at 5:58 AM, sidis said:

Paris next week.  

Taking my daughters (9 and 7) for their first visit.  Going to be a very different visit than normal given the little legs...less ambitious days for sure and not over-scheduling.  Fly to London and hang there for a few days including the winter wonderland at Hyde Park...Eurostar to Paris. Girls really wanted to go to Jules Verne for obvious reasons so that and dinner at Ledoyen for the wife and me are the only scheduled items...along with "Thanksgiving dinner" at Frenchie.

Should be much better than spending it with my idiotic in-laws.

Were you able to get the covid health pass ok? I applied twice for the pass in late August and early September and never received it. Ultimately I just took a rapid test at a pharmacy while there in September which gives you a three day health pass.

30 minutes ago, Orale said:

Were you able to get the covid health pass ok? I applied twice for the pass in late August and early September and never received it. Ultimately I just took a rapid test at a pharmacy while there in September which gives you a three day health pass.

I get my booster manana, and will then apply for the COVID health pass.  I’ll keep you posted.  I think a lot of Europe is saying testing out is not going to be an option for most.

9 hours ago, Orale said:

Got it yesterday actually. Wife and I submitted our application about a month ago and got our QR codes yesterday morning. Hopefully that will smooth things out on roaming free and doing everything. I figure between that and paper vax card, should be good to go. 

In and out of England a slightly bigger hassle. Have to do “Day 2” tests arriving into the country and have ref codes for required passenger locator form. We will get them Saturday for flying from Austin and then have to get them again when we eurostar back from France and have to go through all the same entry forms. Works out okay though as it will double as our required test for flight home the next day. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, sidis said:

Got it yesterday actually. Wife and I submitted our application about a month ago and got our QR codes yesterday morning. Hopefully that will smooth things out on roaming free and doing everything. I figure between that and paper vax card, should be good to go. 

In and out of England a slightly bigger hassle. Have to do “Day 2” tests arriving into the country and have ref codes for required passenger locator form. We will get them Saturday for flying from Austin and then have to get them again when we eurostar back from France and have to go through all the same entry forms. Works out okay though as it will double as our required test for flight home the next day. 

Fill us in where you get your COVID test in Paris before flying home. We’re going in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

good times on the trip despite fucking b.a. canceling the friday evening direct flight two hours before takeoff.  mother fuckers.  had to fuck around in dfw for half of saturday and it knocked a day off the trip.  but we had great (dry) weather in both london and paris.  daughters had an absolutely blast and we did a ton.  ice skating in hyde park, london eye, covent garden (including dinner at frenchie), d'orsay, lunch at jules verne, musee rodin, macaron competition between pierre herme, lauduree, and maison du chocolat, grabbed food at le grand epicerie (bordier butter please) and picnic in luxemborg gardens, italian hall in louvre, evening in montmarte, afternoon in marais, crepes galore, phenomenal dinner at ledoyen, xmas decorations at galeries lafayette...  kids are now masters of navigating the paris metro and the london tube.  great trip.  unfortunately, most of the good shots would be doxxing.

AM-JKLVGU4tXtQMum0xbIIey1YKEbgLFDKHJ9L-A

if you haven't had the tex mex stand at winter wonderland in hyde park, london...well, good for you.

AM-JKLVaBUbpNvtXZNTHQChx9dLZmOFndmns2Onj

norman conquests and white ladies were enjoyed.

AM-JKLX4d2ii0_ETWfAyoKST4xx2rdjI6ayBjsjq

solid view from the hotel balcony.

AM-JKLVOAibL5QMcpp51Xz6T9gJZu7033NlhSj5t

AM-JKLXFehAM5i6nctfsiJc3jAA8rOh6nOLg_ny1

AM-JKLWu4sRwzW37zX67wbttRyxWnCXDwnBB8aMP

AM-JKLXqXD9IrknIhRzgpikXMMm5lL7bwmREeJrd

AM-JKLXIFCz-VZKOkCmV_T806dCUhQBU6HB3PkYb

AM-JKLWuT90CbIZ3LzPFE_B12Jk8_G5jnXMY3akv

AM-JKLUPvj4ausjLU82SzMreoRMZiRUgxvGr4JL_

AM-JKLXTdxfYE-1kZN4VoqkLpMaAWQ0rBULVQhi1

AM-JKLXvWVS5CqIBkB0i5oNaB-hK_pgGdOq72H__

the savoy had a sense of humor on thanksgiving night.

AM-JKLUcosDxDVcnbs6mhlnz-WUBd7QZhfLS-Jif

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Throw in Manchester, Sheffield, and Brussels, and that was what we did a couple years ago. 

It was a great fucking trip. Loved all the Christmas markets, and everything along with it. I’m chomping at the bit to do it again. Maybe I’ll mix in a stop or two in Germany next time. Their markets look like a lot of fun too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Now, Pass Sanitaires are available at any pharmacie in Paris.  Sounds like if you are still headed to France until this summer, they will be required.  Also, you have to have a booster to be considered fully vaccinated. New rules are available here and are updated pretty frequently.  

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered/procedure-for-non-european-nationals-to-obtain-a-valid-covid-certificate-in/

Entry requirements into France are found here.  For fully vaccinated Americans, a negative COVID test 48 hours before departure (either Antigen or PCR) is required, though that might change later.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered/

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Leaving next week for Paris. What should I expect at airport when we arrive? Will I have to show vaccine card? Will it take awhile to get through customs and immigration with showing covid stuff?

The rules are drastically changing on the 14th but up until then, you'll need to show your vaccine card to get on the plane, and you better be sure you've had your booster UNLESS you had your second regular vaccine dose within the last 9 months.  You should be able to go through customs like normal but up until the 14th, you'll need visit a local pharmacy and get a Vaccine pass (show them your COVID card and pay ~$40 USD) shortly after arrival to be able to do anything in country (mass transit, museums, restaurants, etc...).  I'm told a lot of restaurants and some other establishments are letting people in with just their CDC cards but that's not going to cut it if you get on a train or try to visit the Louvre or some other popular museums...or so I hear anyways. 

Good luck, let us know how it goes.  I'm going end of the month and am looking forward to it...really glad they are dropping most of the COVID stuff by then.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, McCroskey said:

The rules are drastically changing on the 14th but up until then, you'll need to show your vaccine card to get on the plane, and you better be sure you've had your booster UNLESS you had your second regular vaccine dose within the last 9 months.  You should be able to go through customs like normal but up until the 14th, you'll need visit a local pharmacy and get a Vaccine pass (show them your COVID card and pay ~$40 USD) shortly after arrival to be able to do anything in country (mass transit, museums, restaurants, etc...).  I'm told a lot of restaurants and some other establishments are letting people in with just their CDC cards but that's not going to cut it if you get on a train or try to visit the Louvre or some other popular museums...or so I hear anyways. 

Good luck, let us know how it goes.  I'm going end of the month and am looking forward to it...really glad they are dropping most of the COVID stuff by then.

Thanks! I’ll update in a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy getting into France. We got vaccine card checked at airport in US. No one in France looked at our vaccine card.

Indoor masking and vaccine pass are gone. People only wore masks on the metro and in the Uber.

We got COVID tested at the pharmacy a couple blocks from our hotel. Had to have passport and cost 25€ each. It was streamlined, they’ve done it quite a bit. Had results texted and emailed to us in less than an hour.

France in general wasn’t very crowded. Were annoyed before we left that you had to make reservations for museum times before going but quickly realized that you could decide and make reservations online usually about an hour beforehand and had no trouble getting a reservation.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Anyone spent a lot of time in Montmartre?  Funnily enough, it is one of the areas of Paris I have not spent any time in, so I am looking to do so.  I know about the big sites like Sacre Coeur.  I am trying to find the hidden, cool things.

i enjoyed this museum quite a bit last time i was there https://museedemontmartre.fr/ 

not exactly hidden but certainly a smaller museum. lots of cool shit on Montmarte and the history of cabaret

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:47 AM, staboner said:

i enjoyed this museum quite a bit last time i was there https://museedemontmartre.fr/ 

not exactly hidden but certainly a smaller museum. lots of cool shit on Montmarte and the history of cabaret

Awesome.  I am thinking that Monday might be my day in Montmartre.  I would start early (I understand it gets crowded later, but Sacre Coeur, which I have not been to, opens at something like 6AM) and then spend most of the day up there.  Could head back to my hotel around 4 or so, get a nap in before dinner.  Sounds like a win/win situation to me.  

Thanks for that rec.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also, 

this is our first time, so any inside tips on the usual tourist traps? Specific time to hit up Louvre and Eiffel Tower? Versailles?

hotel de l’Abbaye Saint German is a possibility and Hotel and Spa Royal Madeleine too. Don’t think the wife will allow the 5 star Le Roch 

Edited by Neonmoon

Also, 
this is our first time, so any inside tips on the usual tourist traps? Specific time to hit up Louvre and Eiffel Tower? Versailles?

We went to the Louvre on a Monday in July, mid-day, and it was fine. Somewhat crowded, but aside from waiting ~10 minutes to see the Mona Lisa, no real issues seeing anything else. Much easier than I expected.

Versailles kinda sucked for us. Went there on a Sunday and it was extremely crowded. I remember waiting at least an hour to get in, then once inside, it felt like we were in a herd of cattle just being pushed through the rooms. Once we got out of the palace, the garden was alright, but I wouldn’t do it again just for that. But, YMMV.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh and for the Eiffel Tower, my personal opinion is that the best way to appreciate that is to get a baguette and a bottle of wine and find a nice spot on the Champ de Mars to have a picnic and just look at it.

We did climb the stairs up to the second floor observation deck and waited about an hour in line for that, and I think it’s worth doing for sure, but much more enjoyable to just relax on the Champ de Mars and take it all in.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Also, 

hotel de l’Abbaye Saint German is a possibility and Hotel and Spa Royal Madeleine too. Don’t think the wife will allow the 5 star Le Roch 

Try to avoid the really big tourist traps on the weekend. You might still be going in a time period in which the tourism from the far east is nonexistent, which makes everything less crowded. 

I've gone to the Eiffel Tower every time I've visited Paris, usually because we're taking someone new with us who wants to see it. We were with a couple who had never been to Paris this past December, so there we went, to the ET. I think it is worth going up in, but the tip top of it isn't worth the added hassle. The Louvre on a weekday is usually easy. My tip regarding Versailles? Avoid it like the plague. It's absolutely a tourist trap and there's no real payoff. The hall of mirrors isn't enough to recover the day for you.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to stay in a nice hotel, but you can find some great places through AirBNB or Paris services similar to it. We stayed for a week in a top floor two bedroom apartment with a badass view in the 7th Arrondissement in Dec 2021 for like $5k split between two couples.

Sidenote in case it's not mentioned much in this thread - you can do a day trip to Normandy via train and then tour guide. We took the train to Bayeaux, had a guide take us to his 3 key places around the area, took the train back to Paris, and still had an excellent dinner around 9pm. We got to see them play taps and do the flag ceremony at the US memorial cemetary on the beach, visited Omaha beach itself, and so forth. Wouldn't do it again, but it was worth the full day expense and excursion to see it all with our own eyes.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Also, 

That is too bad.  It is an excellent hotel.  I always feel so taken care of here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Try to avoid the really big tourist traps on the weekend. You might still be going in a time period in which the tourism from the far east is nonexistent, which makes everything less crowded. 

I've gone to the Eiffel Tower every time I've visited Paris, usually because we're taking someone new with us who wants to see it. We were with a couple who had never been to Paris this past December, so there we went, to the ET. I think it is worth going up in, but the tip top of it isn't worth the added hassle. The Louvre on a weekday is usually easy. My tip regarding Versailles? Avoid it like the plague. It's absolutely a tourist trap and there's no real payoff. The hall of mirrors isn't enough to recover the day for you.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to stay in a nice hotel, but you can find some great places through AirBNB or Paris services similar to it. We stayed for a week in a top floor two bedroom apartment with a badass view in the 7th Arrondissement in Dec 2021 for like $5k split between two couples.

Sidenote in case it's not mentioned much in this thread - you can do a day trip to Normandy via train and then tour guide. We took the train to Bayeaux, had a guide take us to his 3 key places around the area, took the train back to Paris, and still had an excellent dinner around 9pm. We got to see them play taps and do the flag ceremony at the US memorial cemetary on the beach, visited Omaha beach itself, and so forth. Wouldn't do it again, but it was worth the full day expense and excursion to see it all with our own eyes.

Good idea on the day trip to Normandy. Didn't know that could be done in a day. Was thinking of doing Reims as was previously mentioned in the thread. 

21 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I really enjoyed the Loire Valley. Spent 4 nights in Amboise and felt like it hat was plenty to visit the various chateaus but I’m sure you could make a full week of it.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, otisdog said:

The Loire is pretty awesome....very easy to spend a week visiting the many chateaus and vineyards in the valley. It's a very laidback and relaxing area of France.

Ordinarily I’d be all over that, but I don’t think my pregnant wife would tolerate being my DD to tour vineyards. Which is a shame because I fucking love Chenin Blanc. I guess I just need to figure out if there is enough non-wine stuff to do or if it’s worth the hassle of traveling elsewhere.

When we were in Loire we mainly visited chateaus - Chambord, Chenonceau, and Amboise. We also went to the Leonardo da Vinci chateau in Amboise which I thought was cool.

We love wine as well but didn’t get the feeling their vineyards were geared towards public tours. Stopped in a couple of wine caves that were okay.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone clarify the vaccine requirements for entering France? This is from the France Ministry of the Interior page:

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/covid-19-international-travel

The vaccination schedule is considered complete 28 days after receiving one dose of Janssen vaccine, seven days after a second dose of other vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (namely Pfizer/Comirnaty, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria/Covishield) and, for persons who have received all the required doses of a WHO-licensed vaccine not approved by the European Medicines Agency, seven days after receiving an additional dose of a duly approved mRNA vaccine.

Since 1 February 2022, in order for their vaccination schedule to continue to be recognised as complete, persons aged 18 years or older wishing to enter French territory must have received a booster dose of messenger RNA vaccine no later than nine months after receiving the last mandatory dose.

Wife and I both received both dose of the Moderna vaccine very early - 1st dose in Dec 2020, 2nd dose in Jan 2021. I got my "booster" on 8/18/21 which was within 9 months of the 2nd dose. She did not get her booster until 12/20/21 which was over 9 months after her 2nd dose.

We are both considered fully vaccinated in the U.S. and there is no reason or method to modify the timing of our first 3 doses. I'm concerned that the French entry requirements won't recognize my wife as being fully vaccinated since more than 9 months passed before her booster?

Edited by wild_turkey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, Neonmoon said:

Also, 

Did you end up staying at l’Abbaye? I’m trying to find a hotel in either Staint-Germaine or Marais and struggling with finding the right one. Thinking of doing the Terrace Apartment at Abbaye, or Cour des Vosges.