• San Diego
    • San Antonio
    • Salt Lake
    • Orlando
    • Atlanta
    • Arizona
    • Memphis
    • Birmingham

How the fuck is a league allowed to form and exist and they can't even make payroll in the first fucking week? Makes no sense. Do they not have to prove they have the means to pay everyone's contracts for the entire duration, much less the first week? Lmao. Embarrassing. 

These leagues won't last. The novelty of it being new will wear off after a few weeks and people will get bored. March Madness is coming up. NBA is nearing the stretch run. as is NHL. MLB starting soon. I for one am burnt out on football after a full season of NFL and NCAA along with following Texas High School football. I don't need to watch subpar football to get my "fix". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

How the fuck is a league allowed to form and exist and they can't even make payroll in the first fucking week? Makes no sense. Do they not have to prove they have the means to pay everyone's contracts for the entire duration, much less the first week? Lmao. Embarrassing. 

From what I gather the main backer suddenly pulled out and left them broke. The NFL wants this particular league to survive for now so it will.

16 minutes ago, RPM said:

From what I gather the main backer suddenly pulled out and left them broke. The NFL wants this particular league to survive for now so it will.

So the backer did not have to sign any type of agreement to keep him from doing this? Seems like a shit thing to do. Just pull the rug out whenever you want, especially after the season already started. 

I’m in, I’m not a nhl or nba fan, so some football is better than no football. I’ll wager there’s enough like me to keep this afloat, at least until they have direct competition next year by the xfl, then we may get another Betamax/vhs-Blu-ray/HDDVD war on which will outlast who.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

at least until they have direct competition next year by the xfl,

After listening to Moose on BaD Radio, I think they are in good shape. They've already signed the best available players and the XFL will have to pick from the scrubs and next season's undrafted college players. McMahon will have to moneywhip those players to keep them from signing AAF. AAF also has a great TV partners in CBS, Turner and NFL Network. 

The big problem is attendance. Other than SA, the crowds have been very spare.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

After listening to Moose on BaD Radio, I think they are in good shape. They've already signed the best available players and the XFL will have to pick from the scrubs and next season's undrafted college players. McMahon will have to moneywhip those players to keep them from signing AAF. AAF also has a great TV partners in CBS, Turner and NFL Network. 

The big problem is attendance. Other than SA, the crowds have been very spare.

I think the biggest draw may be high school kids.  I believe they will allow straight out of HS kids to sign with teams.  That would interest me more than a bunch of un-drafted or out of the league fringe players.

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I think the biggest draw may be high school kids.  I believe they will allow straight out of HS kids to sign with teams.  That would interest me more than a bunch of un-drafted or out of the league fringe players.

18-19 year old kids playing against professional football players wouldn't actually be very interesting in the vast majority of cases. Unless you like limp bodies on FieldTurf.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
27 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:
They certainly could use one.

They have had one forever. It's called college football.

This is absolutely true, but I think the NFL is starting to realize that there is a value to having a AAA level system instead of just a Rookie League level system. Players who can't nail down a roster spot right before the season starts often leave football and move on with their lives even though they still have value to NFL teams either as emergency signings or could develop into NFL players in the next 1-3 years.

Edited by Huckleberry

Can't send a guy down to college to work on his skills.
This league is after the NFL though. Are you going to tell that player to sit out the entire NFL season and wait until that league starts? I can't see any player playing both leagues back to back. Not in the game of football. You can't really send him down if the leagues don't coincide with each other.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

This league is after the NFL though. Are you going to tell that player to sit out the entire NFL season and wait until that league starts? I can't see any player playing both leagues back to back. Not in the game of football. You can't really send him down if the leagues don't coincide with each other.

Sure you can. You cut him just like you always have. Difference now is a marginal player has somewhere else to go. He can work to improve his play, put together some game tape and get another shot at making a roster. The XFL will be there, too. But the NFL has already shown it wants to work with the AAF. The big dog will choose who gets to share the food bowl, if anyone.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is value to the NFL in having a triple AAA, but only if the costs to them are minimal and this league isn't going to combat the NFL on guys.  Is their a market for that league?  Would baseball minors exist if it colleges got most of them MLB ready as they do for football?

That is different since the minor leagues were not created to be a farm system for MLB, they evolved organically into that over time and the Colleges were never really rivals to professional baseball at any level. In football, on the other hand, College Football became big first and for almost fifty years had very little serious professional competition.

There is value to the NFL in having a triple AAA, but only if the costs to them are minimal and this league isn't going to combat the NFL on guys.  Is their a market for that league?  Would baseball minors exist if it colleges got most of them MLB ready as they do for football?

The AAF has a few agreements with the NFL, i heard that one is every player has an out clause if they get selected for the NFL, because the AAF contracts are three years, another more obvious one is that they let them play on the NFL network.

The AAF makes a ton of sense for the NFL, since the best way to develop somebody is reps in a pro style offense, and they don’t have to front the bill.

They should be playing in the nicest high school stadium in the market. Putting them in these huge college or former NFL stadiums makes for terrible optics. I like football but I too am ready for something else by February. Minor League Baseball has a unique history that makes it work, I don’t think it can ever truly be replicated in any other sport. The CFL would be a perfect farm system for the NFL to invest in if they didn’t have such weird differences.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

They should be playing in the nicest high school stadium in the market. Putting them in these huge college or former NFL stadiums makes for terrible optics. I like football but I too am ready for something else by February. Minor League Baseball has a unique history that makes it work, I don’t think it can ever truly be replicated in any other sport. The CFL would be a perfect farm system for the NFL to invest in if they didn’t have such weird differences.

Agree.  Minor league baseball also came about when entertainment options were much more limited.  I don't really think the NFL wants to invest in anything.  They see the value is something was able to exist on it's own, but I don't think the NFL feels that's worth a significant investment.  I don't think America wants more football to watch.  We are obsessed with certain aspects of football but not necessarily just a pure love of the game.

https://apple.news/A7GU5Ib87RWeemP0z1Ukg0g

Ebersol denies they needed the money to make payroll, says it was just a glitch with the new software. Says they were paid on Tuesday before the buyout. New buyer is now the chairman of the board, not the “owner.” The new chairman said he was offered before the season started, but wanted to see what the quality of football was and tv ratings before pulling the trigger, after 2 weeks he liked what he saw and bought in.

Not sure any of that is true, the truth might be somewhere in the middle, but that’s the stance the league is taking.

59 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Do the players have to have their actual names on the jerseys or can they have shit like He Hate Me?

Actual names, the XFL starts next year. Who knows what they'll do this time around. It'll be interesting to see if they learned from their mistakes.

Edited by MillerEP

• 2 years later...

I would choose Orlando only because they always show a good game, high-quality tactics and planning. You don't even have to talk about winning, everyone knows everything, right? I am fully confident that this team will soon take the cup as I have seen their training sessions, these guys are preparing very seriously. I have been interested in this team for a long time, as well as in football in general, and I certainly helped with this https://mtltimes.ca/sport/american-football-beginners-guide I didn't know anything about the rules or anything related to American football before. After moving to the United States, I already realized how cool this sport is

Edited by JhonSnow
  • Fuck You 1