ATVs

orangecat92

did a search didn't see anything.  Visiting family over the Christmas break.  Want to get a better deal on a few things than this place:   fishcreek.biz 

Doable?  I'm sure prices are much better in Texas.  Will be flying in to DFW, visiting relatives in DFW and Austin area. 

Got a 2002 Honda TRX 350 FM

wishlist includes: 

battery, goggles, oil, oil filter, spark plug, medical kit to fit in little "trunk", Mr. Funnel,  bungee cords, hearing protection, cargo bag, ATV cover, air pump, and tires.  

anything else that breaks frequently?  I am told if I take care of this thing it will last a long time.  Engine has recently been redone.  Got a good mechanic.  

• 3 weeks later...

That wishlist is for stuff you want to have at home or on the atv? You don’t need batteries, oil, filter, or any of the maintenance stuff to just ride. Chances are you will be putting around. Don’t need a funnel either.

You dont need extra tires and an air pump. Take the tires and fill them with Slime. The tires are hard to fuck up.

Check out Dark Angel medical for a kit. They make several kinds.

I keep bungee cords on the rear rack of my four wheeler. There’s a recovery strap they hold down. Sometimes a padded seat for the kids.

I can see having the cover for when it’s parked.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Friend in my neighborhood had one of these

e765a4bdb2ad0e85ead8e9aaa4d9c96a--lil-bo

I had a home made go-cart with a B&S engine similar to this one, but not nearly as nice. The seat was literally a stacking metal chair we cut the legs off of.

utility-van-trailer-and-go-karts-briggs-

There was a grass alleyway all the way around the outside of the neighborhood, and we would race around doing completely idiotic/dangerous shit all day or until both all of our dad's gas cans were empty.  such great times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSB said:

I had a home made go-cart with a B&S engine similar to this one, but not nearly as nice. The seat was literally a stacking metal chair we cut the legs off of.

utility-van-trailer-and-go-karts-briggs-

There was a grass alleyway all the way around the outside of the neighborhood, and we would race around doing completely idiotic/dangerous shit all day or until both all of our dad's gas cans were empty.  such great times

Same, not sure how I survived.  I guess we weren't doing more than 20 or so.  But, at 8 years old that seemed really fast that close to the ground.

Fricken thing would constantly fall apart.  Learned a lot(realitive) about small motors and back country metal work those couple years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, JSB said:

Neighbor had the 90 cc version of these for tooling around their horse farm and let the carb get fouled. Hearing that 12 yr old Gringo was an adept tinkerer (I had a honda minibike at the time) they enlisted me to fix it. And fix it I did, cleaned the carb up and took it for a test run / triumphant return to the neighbor's house.

So I head down the ditch bank, mind you I'm an accompllished mini bike badass, but this thing has a mind of its own and wants to go swimming, and we head right into the (full) irrigation canal.

The rear axle remained afloat and the ditch rider helped me fish it out. The sun dried my clothes in a few minutes and, being a Honda, it fired right back up and I went the remainder of the way to the neighbors in low range.

In summary, fuck those things.

• 1 year later...

ATV roll call.  Thinking of buying one for our little 7 acre ranch and for when we go to beach.  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Is 7 acres even big enough to have an atv?

My family and I are definitely not racers nor daredevils (just two daughters, not boys) so if we go forward with this, it would be a basic type like a Honda Recon 250cc. 

Appreciate any insights or advice to stay the f away.

No kidding. I’ve ridden one a time or two since I’ve grown up. No way in hell I’d let my kids on one. Not to say they couldn’t learn how to drive one and slide around, but damn.
I think that was sarcasm.

I rode one from sun up until dinner every Saturday and after school everyday. We had a wreck or two but nothing more than a broken bone.

The protective gear required for a 2020s kid on a skateboard costs as much as my gas for a year on a three wheeler back then.

How a whole generation of 80's kids wasn't wiped out because of 3-wheelers is a miracle.

I remember when all this shit was going down:

There is a general misconception that 3-wheelers are banned. Even many 3-wheeler owners believe they are banned from future production. Many tabloid news shows tried to eliminate them by misleading hype and inaccurate facts. The media frenzy got the CPSC involved.

The CPSC in its report admitted that there was NO INHERENT design flaw with 3-wheelers. They further concluded that most accidents were due to operator error and predominantly by children on adult-sized machines.

In April of 1988, the five “Big” manufacturers agreed to the CONSENT DECREE ACT.

The Consent Decree Act expired in April 27, 1998. However, it only applied to manufacturers involved in the case. Those manufacturers included Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Polaris. No other manufacturer was bound by the Consent Decree Act until Arctic Cat joined on Sept 27, 1996.

On September 9, 1998, the ATV Action Plan was introduced. It basically extended the former Consent Decree Act on a Voluntary basis.

Yamaha, Kawasaki, American Suzuki, Polaris and Arctic Cat have voluntary agreed to participate. However, Arctic Cat has only agreed for 5 years. Also, any company can withdraw from the agreement with a 60-day notice.

Neither the Consent Decree Act nor the ATV Action Plan has ever applied to any other manufacturer.

In August of '08, the CPSC submitted proposition bill H.R. 4040. A bill primarily concerned with lead paint in children's toys. However, hidden in the multitude of pages of this bill, was a little known paragraph, effectively banning production 3-wheelers indefinitely. However, this bill which has since been passed into law, only concerns production-based 3-wheelers. Specifically it states "importation and distribution of new three wheeled ATV's. It does not include prototypes, conversions, or custom one-off 3-wheelers.

The bill also states that this is a temporary ban until industry standards can be set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of my grandmothers had an adult trike called a "velocipede."  Don't know if that was a brand name or what.  But it exhibited the oddball turning behavior of the 3-wheel ATV.  It is inherent to the 3-wheel vehicle design, unless maybe you add steering to the rear wheels.  I don't recall my FWD trike exhibiting such behavior.

But even if you know it can happen, at any kind of speed, you can fuck yourself pretty good with a sudden turn.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, markstanco said:

Ive been on the lookout for a 1982 Honda 185s. Something restored. My first death machine and I want it again.

I sold a VERY nice all original 1984 last year for $750.  Could have gotten a lot more (per Craigslist) but went to a friend I knew would appreciate it.   Will likely be selling my VERY clean 200x at some point. I just don’t ride it anymore.  Wife flipped out when I took my oldest on it once, so knew it wasn’t long for keeping. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I sold a VERY nice all original 1984 last year for $750.  Could have gotten a lot more (per Craigslist) but went to a friend I knew would appreciate it.   Will likely be selling my VERY clean 200x at some point. I just don’t ride it anymore.  Wife flipped out when I took my oldest on it once, so knew it wasn’t long for keeping. 

I loved those 200X machines as well.  If you happen to come across a 1982 185s please shoot me a PM!  I too look on CL and FB Marketplace every now and again. 

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I loved those 200X machines as well.  If you happen to come across a 1982 185s please shoot me a PM!  I too look on CL and FB Marketplace every now and again. 

Will do. I’m certain the one I sold was an ‘84, as it matched my 200x.   Condition of sale was he had to give me a crack at it if/when he offloads it.   I’ll PM you on that one too if you haven’t found an ‘82 by then. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How often do you guys change the spark plug on your ATV/SXS?  I've got a 2014 Honda Pioneer 700 that I bought from a buddy and I don't know if the plug has ever been changed out.  It's only has a little over 220 hrs. on the motor and runs fine, but it's cranky to start when it's cold outside.  I bought a new plug for it, but it's a real bitch to get the boot off of the plug - it's tucked up under the seat and the only way to reach it with any leverage is to crawl up under the seat from underneath and I can't get it loose. 

It's probably not that big of a deal and is running fine, but I do think a new plug would probably help with the cold starts.

• 2 years later...

Why a JD? Seems you are paying for a name. Also, they are 2 seaters right and that one is 4x2? I would go with the Mule 4010 4x4. It only goes 25 and you can fold down the rear seat for a larger dump bed if you don't need the extra seats. I would never buy a 2 wheel drive UTV. That is asking for trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Why a JD? Seems you are paying for a name. Also, they are 2 seaters right and that one is 4x2? I would go with the Mule 4010 4x4. It only goes 25 and you can fold down the rear seat for a larger dump bed if you don't need the extra seats. I would never buy a 2 wheel drive UTV. That is asking for trouble.

No kidding. I wouldn’t own anything like that if it was 2WD. I get that it’s more to break but unless you are positive you’ll never use it, it’s not that much more.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input! I was looking to JD because a dealer is 8 miles down the road. But i think the Ford dealer in town also sells Kawasaki. I'm generally okay with 2WD. If the ranch is so soggy I need 4wd, then I'm probably not up there anyway. My truck is 2wd, and I'd probably park the UTV up at the cabin which is damn jear a quarter mile from the county road. But... if the delra to 4WD is not too much, I'll consider it. 

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Thanks for the input! I was looking to JD because a dealer is 8 miles down the road. But i think the Ford dealer in town also sells Kawasaki. I'm generally okay with 2WD. If the ranch is so soggy I need 4wd, then I'm probably not up there anyway. My truck is 2wd, and I'd probably park the UTV up at the cabin which is damn jear a quarter mile from the county road. But... if the delra to 4WD is not too much, I'll consider it. 

You should he able to get a mule around 12k-13k depending on the options you add. The thing about 4x4 is you never need it until you do. If you ever get to the point of selling it, it will also be easier to sell. Happy shopping!

I know side by sides are all the rage right now, but this bad boy will go just about anywhere. Shaft drive to all three axles will get you places a side by side can’t. 900 pound payload in the dump bed. I’ve fit a whole quartered moose in it and pulled a trailer home. Pretty easy on gas too. 

9EB73A22-721C-43FA-A8C5-1F125C19EBCB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Fellow pimps, players, and hustlers, I need some help. I have a '02 Yamaha Bear Tracker 250 and keep failing at buying front rims. One of the front rims I have is not salvageable so I want to buy a matching set for the front. 

Front rims are 22 X 7 4/110 2+5 10 X 1.25mm.

The measurements are what screws me up and I keep buying the wrong size rims. Could I get some help on a specific replacement rim for the front? I am hoping for OEM but that's been like trying to find a unicorn. I would like a matching set that are the same measurements as the OEM. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Screenshot_20230929_142130_Chrome.jpg

• 3 months later...

Fwiw I did end up with a mule sx xc le. It's dope. I'm very happy with its modest speed. I've enjoyed 4 wheeling across old creek fords and places not driven on in decades. 

Mooseoutfront's 6wd atv scares me. I wouldn't know what to do with a powerful throbbing machine like that between my legs.

• 4 weeks later...