The Passage, 1/14 on FOX

mchookem

this was the best series I've ever read. incredible story-telling, compelling characters. the story was so consistent in details from beginning to end, even with six years in between the first and the last book. so much so i went back and reread The Passage after i finished The City of Mirrors just to recall some details...Cronin was absolutely on the money. 

i'm excited to see it onscreen, but i honestly can't imagine how it will translate. the story was so vast and covered hundreds of years, and you got emotionally attached to so many of the characters...it will be a challenge to convey all that to the screen. 

i thought a trilogy of movies might be the way to go, but a lengthy tv series (if it"s done well) might actually work better.

anyway...really hope fox didn't fuck it up! 

anybody else in?

Fox has been pimping this show on their NFL broadcasts, it is clear they put a lot of resources into this.

After reading the first book their was talk of a movie series, glad they did it ass a tv series although I wish it was on Netflix, HBO, etc. and not network tv, but...

Spoiler

I am very curious how they handle the two timelines of the first book.  The easiest thing to do would be to play the modern day timeline straight up in season one with the end of the last episode being 93 years later.  Flash forwards would be much more interesting.  The IMDB page lists actors/actresses for the 93 years later role of Sarah, Peter and Alicia with a one episode credit. There is also a stunt double credit for Lacey. Usually the list is incomplete before a series comes out, so it is really not indicative of whether they are in one ep or nine, just that they are in the season.  Fox has only shown present day footage in the trailers from what I have seen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

it has deviated significantly from the book, mostly in the characters.

Amy is supposed to be a traumatized, timid 6 year old that barely speaks, not a tough older badass tomboy (and i actually like the actress playing her), which made her a more sympathetic and emotionally impactful character IMO. 

lots of other characters are much different and their backstories were all changed...Babcock, Carter, and Fanning primarily. the whole ex-wife with the nun story is completely new, nothing like that in the book. 

it was a character-driven story and they've basically deviated on all the important ones. boo 😒

considering 2/3 of the book is set 100 years in the future, i don't think they're even going to get there (i haven't watched this week's ep yet, but i'm assuming based on the current pace).

i'm still watching...but it's kind of turned into a completely different story. disappointing. 

i just finished re-reading the book. it still packs an emotional wallop.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, mchookem said:

it has deviated significantly from the book, mostly in the characters.

Amy is supposed to be a traumatized, timid 6 year old that barely speaks, not a tough older badass tomboy (and i actually like the actress playing her), which made her a more sympathetic and emotionally impactful character IMO. 

lots of other characters are much different and their backstories were all changed...Babcock, Carter, and Fanning primarily. the whole ex-wife with the nun story is completely new, nothing like that in the book. 

it was a character-driven story and they've basically deviated on all the important ones. boo 😒

considering 2/3 of the book is set 100 years in the future, i don't think they're even going to get there (i haven't watched this week's ep yet, but i'm assuming based on the current pace).

i'm still watching...but it's kind of turned into a completely different story. disappointing. 

i just finished re-reading the book. it still packs an emotional wallop.

It's unfortunate because it was a cool concept.  If one of your favorite books gets picked up by anything other than FX, Netflix, AMC, or a premium channel, you can pretty much expect it to be completely terrible.  The networks have forgotten how to make anything other than reality shows and singing contests.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 months later...