The Italy Thread

sidis

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Starting to plan a trip.  We were planning on going last summer.  Is 4 days in Rome, 3 in Cinque Terre, and a week in Florence/Tuscany too much?

I haven’t done Rome, but that sounds about right. One thing I’ll say about Cinque Terre is we stayed in Portovenere, which is just south of the actual five towns, and just took the ferry over to the towns in the mornings. It was nice to have a place not completely overrun with tourists to come back to each night. And Portovenere itself is really cool and has good restaurants and such. Dates back to medieval times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Have a month booked in Italy, flying in and out of Rome, from mid December to mid January. Reading this thread has me jacked, though I wish y'all would come to a consensus on how much time to spend in Rome. The problem with Italy is there is way too many places worth visiting. Also fwiw that agriturismo site idea is golden.

Other than flying in and out of FCO the only requirement we have is to be in Florence for 1 day for business. After 2 or 3 nights in Rome, current plan is to make a jog to the south. Considering it will be December and supposedly some restaurants and hotels in Positano will supposedly be closed, I'm thinking we'd be better off making Sorrento our base for day trips to Positano and Pompei. Anyone disagree?

I haven't determined logistics yet so any ideas would me most welcome but next we'd either drive or fly to Venice, and then take a car to the Bologna area, and from there I'm not sure. I want to go to Siena/Montalcino before finishing with a day in Florence, but I'm not sure where to go before that. Options include Cinque Terre (but in January?), or even a bit further up to Nice, which I hear is newly flourishing.  Or to Menaggio on Lake Como. Not sure about Menaggio in winter though. Right now I'm thinking Menaggio, and then down to Siena/Montalcino and Florence.

tldr Rome<Sorrento<Venice<Bologna<Menaggio<Sienna/Montalcino<Florence<Rome over a month, have to be in Florence for a day.

Comments/critique?

Suggestions on low-key locale for New Years Eve?

I was looking to do Norther Italy (Milan, Verona and Venice) over 10 days in late July and August but decided against it because of Covid uncertainty, curfews, closed shops, etc. Not sure if anyone has been on the ground recently and knows what the vibe is currently.

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Me personally, my next trip to Rome will be for a week.

I'm leaving room at the end of our trip to add more days in Rome. I've heard several times, including in this thread, that it's fantastic in January. Btw the restaurant you mentioned upthread appears closed or it may just be temporary. Their website is gone. The more I read about Rome the more awesome it sounds.

Edited by Chopper

On 6/6/2021 at 4:14 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Me personally, my next trip to Rome will be for a week.

I just booked a week in Rome for July 9-16.  I've never been and have no planned itinerary so it should be interesting.    

On 6/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, Chopper said:

I'm leaving room at the end of our trip to add more days in Rome. I've heard several times, including in this thread, that it's fantastic in January. Btw the restaurant you mentioned upthread appears closed or it may just be temporary. Their website is gone. The more I read about Rome the more awesome it sounds.

Yeah, not sure on the website.  Honestly, we just stopped by when we were there and asked to eat.  If you are staying in a hotel, might ask the concierge if they are open.  One of the things that was frustrating to me in Italy was a lack of well maintained websites for a lot of businesses.

Just remember it's frigging cold in December/January in Northern Italy...  We were living in Norway the first time we visited for Christmas and left all out heavy cold weather gear at home thinking (yea, my bad) that Italy would be warmer...  Wife and kids got new Italian designer winter coats because I was stupid...

Edited by Grimas
  • Like 1

I have been twice each for a little over a week. May go again shortly. 

echo the love for bologna. I am less into too much time in historic cities but would still say 5 days in Rome. Milan is boring. Controversial but Venice is small and just a tourist nightmare so would limit to 3 days. 

except Milan, any of these cities you could spend 5-7 days and have plenty to do without getting bored though. 

definitely driving through Italy is the best way. 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:07 PM, Grimas said:

Just remember it's frigging cold in December/January in Northern Italy...  We were living in Norway the first time we visited for Christmas and left all out heavy cold weather gear at home thinking (yea, my bad) that Italy would be warmer...  Wife and kids got new Italian designer winter coats because I was stupid...

We visited Florence between christmas and new year once and the weather was fine. We drove from Slovakia because we were living there and found ourselves with a spare couple weeks right as xmas hit. It was a nice drive to the Slovenian coast and then down to Florence. I think winter is an underrated time to visit Italy. We also hit a bunch of smaller towns in eastern Tuscany and Emilio Romagna. Rome is on the same latitude as Denver; Venice with Queenstown and Montreal. But Oslo is on the same latitude as St. Petersburg and Stockholm--much colder there. Besides my wife is looking forward to the christmas markets in Rome - I had forgotten about those so will definitely need to stretch out our initial stay there. We'll be prepared for cold weather, maybe a little snow. My bigger concern is that it appears that in the smaller, more tourist-dependent towns like those of Cinque Terre and Lake Como, many restaurants and hotels will be closed. Same with Positano.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:07 PM, Grimas said:

I meant to say it can be cold in December and to be prepared.  The first week were there that trip, it was highs in the 50's but a front hit the second week and the highs were in the low 30's the second week.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready for my flight next friday I was searching around for a local COVID test appointment and found this map on AA.  

we’re starting so see a lot more green (if you vacs there are no travel restrictions). 

1084BE35-E116-42A4-96ED-A5F906AD7AE6.png

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
12 hours ago, SDG said:
Getting ready for my flight next friday I was searching around for a local COVID test appointment and found this map on AA.  

we’re starting so see a lot more green (if you vacs there are no travel restrictions). 
1084BE35-E116-42A4-96ED-A5F906AD7AE6.thumb.png.a573557564b4be74b5ed5af2f2238fb7.png

But you still need a negative test to return to the US, vaccinated or not.

I thought that might change soon, but with the delta variant, and more importantly those choosing not to get vaccinated, that may not be the case. From what I've read there is a rapid testing location in the Rome airport that is free, but you have to have an appointment.

I thought that might change soon, but with the delta variant, and more importantly those choosing not to get vaccinated, that may not be the case. From what I've read there is a rapid testing location in the Rome airport that is free, but you have to have an appointment.
I think all airports have it. I know Naples does (I checked).
  • Fuck You 1

I’m taking the CDC return-travel approved at-home Abbott test when I head over…after seeing an article a few weeks ago that said the Italian airports may close their on-site testing soon. We would probably be safe but I was a little concerned we may get to FCO and not be able to get a test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 7/2/2021 at 6:24 AM, Mo Horn said:

I just got back.  I did my test a pharmacy near my hotel in Rome, it took about 5 minutes and cost $22 with no appointment necessary.  COVID testing tents are everywhere and super easy so I wouldn’t go through the trouble of scheduling an airport appointment.  

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, SDG said:

I just got back.  I did my test a pharmacy near my hotel in Rome, it took about 5 minutes and cost $22 with no appointment necessary.  COVID testing tents are everywhere and super easy so I wouldn’t go through the trouble of scheduling an airport appointment.  

How many days before you flew did you get it?  We're planning on driving to Rome and staying at the Ibis about 10 minutes away from the airport the night before we fly out. If we get there in the afternoon does that give us enough time? We might also be able to get it a day or so before in the area we're staying in Tuscany, before heading to Rome. 

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

How many days before you flew did you get it?  We're planning on driving to Rome and staying at the Ibis about 10 minutes away from the airport the night before we fly out. If we get there in the afternoon does that give us enough time? We might also be able to get it a day or so before in the area we're staying in Tuscany, before heading to Rome. 

I did mine yesterday but the cdc gives you 3 full days (not 72 hrs so no worries if your flight gets delayed).  In Rome at least there are tents all over with COVID signs they a usually aligned with a pharmacy that’ll give you the stamped paperwork you need for the airline.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:52 PM, SDG said:

So are the restaurants still all takeaway, or can you sit and eat? 

18 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

So are the restaurants still all takeaway, or can you sit and eat? 

I can only speak to Rome & Naples, but you can sit and eat.  I ate at everyone I went to.   You just need to wear a mask when up walking around inside.   

• Hook 'Em 2

I am now 41 days away from departure to Naples.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed that this Delta shit doesn't fuck it all up.  We connect through Zurich. It is frustrating because those of us who are going are all vaccinated.  We both live in Manhattan, which is pretty highly vaccinated (the other boroughs, less so), and will be spending more than half our time in highly vaccinated islands (Capri and Ischia), but it could all fall apart because of idiots.  So frustrating.

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

They just do life right in Italy. 

My nonna was a unreal cook. I can’t eat at a Italian restaurant it’s not worth it, no one comes close. I haven’t been to Italy been am looking forward to going one day. 

• 1 month later...

Actually, for folks that have been to both, if I've been to Amalfi Coast, do I need to see Cinque Terre?

We spent 4 full days, or maybe 5, in Furore in September 2019 and had the best time.  Day trips to both Capri and Pompeii, hiked the Path of the Gods both ways and ate lunch at a Michellin star restaurant between the trips, swam in the Mediterranean Sea, farted around the town of Amalfi.  I feel like we missed enough stuff that we could go back for several days and not repeat anything we did.

From the pictures, Amalfi Coast looks similar to Cinque Terre, but I'm curious how similar they really are.

That's such an easy trip.  You could easily venture off to Siena for a couple of days and not have to adjust your schedule too much.  From Florence, Siena is a 30-40 minute train ride.  Once there, you can wander the Chianti wine region south of Siena.  It's phenomenal and may have been my favorite place in Italy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

Actually, for folks that have been to both, if I've been to Amalfi Coast, do I need to see Cinque Terre?

We spent 4 full days, or maybe 5, in Furore in September 2019 and had the best time.  Day trips to both Capri and Pompeii, hiked the Path of the Gods both ways and ate lunch at a Michellin star restaurant between the trips, swam in the Mediterranean Sea, farted around the town of Amalfi.  I feel like we missed enough stuff that we could go back for several days and not repeat anything we did.

From the pictures, Amalfi Coast looks similar to Cinque Terre, but I'm curious how similar they really are.

a bit more different than i think you would expect.  the hike from monterosso to riomaggiore (it looks like mo horn did at least the hike from monterosso to vernazza in the above pics) is my second favorite hike outside of the kalalau trail along the napali coast in kauai.  it is such a great way to spend a day, stopping in each town.

amalfi is a bit glitzier, luxurious with places like capri and positano.  ct is a bit more..."natural?"  i don't know the right word honestly...(maybe more provincial?) but just a bit more down to earth.  not associating a preference for one over the other.  both have too many people obviously and both are quite beautiful.  but there is a more of a different feel to the two of them than one would expect imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

I have not been to the Amalfi coast, so I have nothing to compare, but this place is magical. Scenery and food are both outstanding. Maybe someone who has been to both can say. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

We are headed to Italy Nov 5 - 15th. Plans right now are to visit Rome, Florence, and Venice. I will review the entire thread but given the month we are going, would you change the cities?

I'm going to do a full write-up when I get back, but so far I've not regretted any choice. We head to Tuscany tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, sidis said:

a bit more different than i think you would expect.  the hike from monterosso to riomaggiore (it looks like mo horn did at least the hike from monterosso to vernazza in the above pics) is my second favorite hike outside of the kalalau trail along the napali coast in kauai.  it is such a great way to spend a day, stopping in each town.

amalfi is a bit glitzier, luxurious with places like capri and positano.  ct is a bit more..."natural?"  i don't know the right word honestly...(maybe more provincial?) but just a bit more down to earth.  not associating a preference for one over the other.  both have too many people obviously and both are quite beautiful.  but there is a more of a different feel to the two of them than one would expect imo.

We also did the hike from Vernazza to Corniglia. Both are spectacular. 

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We also did the hike from Vernazza to Corniglia. Both are spectacular. 

go for the whole thing!  wife and i hiked it...breakfast in monterosso, gelato stop in vernazza, corniglia, manorola, and then late lunch in riomaggiore.  great way to spend a day.