The Italy Thread

sidis

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Have you been to La Fortezza in Montalcino?  Along with the enoteca in Greve I've never seen better and if you love Brunello La Fortezza is a must.

spacer.pngOur last wine tasting at La Fortezza.

My bottles that I bought there in 2018 are going to be ready for drinking next year.  Very excited.

• Like 1

Re - Florence. In 1975 the Bargello Museums in Florence discovered the crypt where Michelangelo apparently hid from the Medicis for a couple months until he was forgiven. In the room they also discovered what are believed to be some of Michelangelo's drawings (unsigned) on the walls. The room's most recent use had been to store coal. The museum has restored a portion of the crypt (aka Secret Room/Stanza Segreta), protected it, and built an exit, and is preparing to allow the public to view it for the first time in very limited numbers. Availability for tickets first opens 11/15, will be extremely limited and will require online reservation. My wife is friendly with a woman who's a longtime curator at the Ufizzi who describes the space as absolutely amazing to see. Unfortunately they were still working on it in October so she couldn't get us a sneak preview.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/michelangelo-secret-room-museum-of-medici-chapels-2387647

To protect the drawings, Ms. D’Agostino said, visits will be kept to groups of four and limited to 15 minutes, with 45 minute lights-out periods in between to protect the drawings. Tickets, each connected to a specific person whose I.D. will be checked to prevent tour operators from gobbling them up, will cost 32 euros (about $34), and include access to the Medici tombs. Depending on how things go, the museum could increase visitor numbers next year.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

For Tuscany, Cortona, Siena, etc.. are the areas I am honing in on.

Siena - La Taverna di San Giuseppe is excellent, not expensive despite having a bit of a pedigree, and serves both locals and tourists. You'll have to prepare yourself (i.e. don't expect warm service) for a bit of a factory-like production because they operate on strict seating times.

Lucca - Gigi Trattoria. Not many tourists find themselves here.

Cortona - Osteria del Teatro.

• 1 month later...

Hello Italy experts.

So i am going for a couple of weeks in September of this year -(i'm sure i will ask quesitons about rome/positano/capri etc as we get closer).     At the end of the trip i was going to be in lake como area for 3 nights then flying out of Milan.    I have found that airfare flying out of Zurich one day later is about 800 dollars cheaper per person for biz class.    So now i have 4 nights.   

Should i do 2 nights in lake como and the two nights in old town zurich?   Never been to either.    Or stay with the 3 nights in lake como, take the train to zurich and just stay by airport?

Basically, is old town zurich worth taking away a night in como?   TIA.

• 4 weeks later...

we're booked for ten days in March.  Florence > Rome > Naples.  We've got friends living in Rome, so we structured the trip to spend a few days Florence, extended weekend in Rome, and a few days in Naples.  The vagaries of the calendar being what they are, we elected to head straight to Florence after landing in Rome so as not to burn an additional day travelling. 

Question for the initiated:  how long should I anticipate it will take to clear customs at Fiumicino?  

We booked one of the Florence in a day tours to bang out the big hits on day 1 so we can spend the other days getting lost and eating 

Coliseum Underground and Pristine Sistine booked as well so we can bang out this hits and spend the rest of the time getting lost and eating

Only thing we've booked in Napoli is a culinary backstreets tour the internet seems to think highly of.  National Museum, Herculaneum, Statue of the Veiled Christ on the agenda.  Probably won't have time to visit Secondigliano, much to my chagrine <sucks teeth>. rest of the time getting lost and eating

Open to recs, mofos 

'ta poste

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra
are you not entertained
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

won't have time to visit Secondigliano, much to my chagrine

Just trying to process these words while not trying to think of Gomorrah.  

Why not take a boat over to Procida for a day if the weather is nice?  Not sure how much is open... ask your hotel.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Just trying to process these words while not trying to think of Gomorrah.  

Why not take a boat over to Procida for a day if the weather is nice?  Not sure how much is open... ask your hotel.

There's supposed to be a Scampia tour that postures itself as  "this is not Gomorrah" that is supposed to be cool but I prefer the grittier depiction where they murder women and children in cold blood

I'm thinking we'll leave one of later days open in the event the weather is nice to take a boat trip.  Procida looks interesting.  

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question - Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre?

So we bid on and won a week in cortona - a bit long there - I’ve been 20 years ago - but we will make do and probably day trip around some. Anyway, we are going to stretch that 7 days to 15-16. We will land in Rome, spend the night then train or drive to cortona. Haven’t decided yet car would be great for wandering day trips. From there it’s either amalfi or cinque terra. Then finish with 2 nights in Rome and come home. 

so pros / cons - plusses / minuses to cinque terra and amalfi coast? 

in the meantime I’ll read the thread…

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

Question - Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terra?

So we bid on and won a week in cortona - a bit long there - I’ve been 20 years ago - but we will make do and probably day trip around some. Anyway, we are going to stretch that 7 days to 15-16. We will land in Rome, spend the night then train or drive to cortona. Haven’t decided yet car would be great for wandering day trips. From there it’s either amalfi or cinque terra. Then finish with 2 nights in Rome and come home. 

What time of year?

1 hour ago, troph said:

Question - Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terra?

I wouldn't pick either but I am a contrarian when it comes to Italy.  Cinque Terre is closer so I would go with that and then find side trips along the way.  If you have a car, you can explore a lot more efficiently.  

56 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What time of year?

end of september/early october.

41 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I wouldn't pick either but I am a contrarian when it comes to Italy.  Cinque Terre is closer so I would go with that and then find side trips along the way.  If you have a car, you can explore a lot more efficiently.  

we plan to have a car. I didn't want to derail the question (no pun intended) with a car vs. train. I strongly prefer a car, we drove from Venice to Florence and Tuscany countryside 20 years ago it was idyllic. I've already done most of Tuscany/Venice. I haven't done Rome but my wife has. So we are trying to get me some Rome time and her some Tuscany time, and then pick one spot we haven't been together.

btw I'm a sailor - cleared for up to 50 foot yachts / self-captain in the Caribbean and will hope to have my ICC at some point and we will do sicily, southern Italy, Sardina, etc. by sailboat, so I'm specifically saving that for later.

Edited by troph

On 1/11/2024 at 8:30 AM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

we're booked for ten days in March.  Florence > Rome > Naples.  We've got friends living in Rome, so we structured the trip to spend a few days Florence, extended weekend in Rome, and a few days in Naples.  The vagaries of the calendar being what they are, we elected to head straight to Florence after landing in Rome so as not to burn an additional day travelling. 

Question for the initiated:  how long should I anticipate it will take to clear customs at Fiumicino?  

We booked one of the Florence in a day tours to bang out the big hits on day 1 so we can spend the other days getting lost and eating 

Coliseum Underground and Pristine Sistine booked as well so we can bang out this hits and spend the rest of the time getting lost and eating

Only thing we've booked in Napoli is a culinary backstreets tour the internet seems to think highly of.  National Museum, Herculaneum, Statue of the Veiled Christ on the agenda.  Probably won't have time to visit Secondigliano, much to my chagrine <sucks teeth>. rest of the time getting lost and eating

Open to recs, mofos 

'ta poste

If you've never been and you're going to Herculaneum you should try for Pompeii as well. 

2 hours ago, troph said:

we plan to have a car. I didn't want to derail the question (no pun intended) with a car vs. train. I strongly prefer a car, we drove from Venice to Florence and Tuscany countryside 20 years ago it was idyllic. I've already done most of Tuscany/Venice. I haven't done Rome but my wife has. So we are trying to get me some Rome time and her some Tuscany time, and then pick one spot we haven't been together.

btw I'm a sailor - cleared for up to 50 foot yachts / self-captain in the Caribbean and will hope to have my ICC at some point and we will do sicily, southern Italy, Sardina, etc. by sailboat, so I'm specifically saving that for later.

Get to Cinque Terre area via car, but then use the train or the ferry to actually visit the towns (I prefer ferry).  I stayed in Portovenere on the south side and it was so chill compared to the actual five towns.  You still get some of the cruise crowd, but in the evenings it was mostly just locals.  30 minutes or so for the ferry to get to the towns from there.  Super easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

I am going to be in Tuscany about the same time.  You should check out other areas of Tuscany.  There is some really pretty coastline there as well.

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am going to be in Tuscany about the same time.  You should check out other areas of Tuscany.  There is some really pretty coastline there as well.

from cortona for a week we will. there's only so much you can do in one village for 7 days.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

from cortona for a week we will. there's only so much you can do in one village for 7 days.

Lucca, Pisa, Siena, and of course Florence are all right there.  I am going to spend a week in Florence then a week somewhere in Tuscany (was going to do Lucca, but not sure now).  I doubt it will, be enough time.

I have not been to Amalfi so I can't give a fair comparison. We did spend several days in the Cinque Terre in late September and loved it. We had no car and just used the train to get there and get around. We hiked the trails during the day when the towns were busy, and then wandered at night when it was quieter. One of my favorite places I've ever visited, and had the best plate of pasta I've ever had in my life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lucca, Pisa, Siena, and of course Florence are all right there.  I am going to spend a week in Florence then a week somewhere in Tuscany (was going to do Lucca, but not sure now).  I doubt it will, be enough time.

we've both spent considerable time in Tuscany years ago and we will be there for a week (well on the edge of Tuscany and Umbria) so we have that covered. 

The question is where next, we are considering Cinque Terra vs. Amalfi Coast and looking for input there.

6 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And if you like Super Tuscans that’s where the great ones are from.  Sassicaia. Ornellaia. Delicious. 

• Drool 2

13 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

And if you like Super Tuscans that’s where the great ones are from.  Sassicaia. Ornellaia. Delicious. 

A drive down to Maremma is worthwhile... lots of great wineries and much much less crowded.  You can go hang out with the jet set in Porto Ercole or "slum it" in Porto Santo Stefano

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

A drive down to Maremma is worthwhile... lots of great wineries and much much less crowded.  You can go hang out with the jet set in Porto Ercole or "slum it" in Porto Santo Stefano

My wife and I were supposed to go here, but only booked one night in San Bonifacio, so didn’t have time. Definitely on the list for later. 

I have not been to Amalfi so I can't give a fair comparison. We did spend several days in the Cinque Terre in late September and loved it. We had no car and just used the train to get there and get around. We hiked the trails during the day when the towns were busy, and then wandered at night when it was quieter. One of my favorite places I've ever visited, and had the best plate of pasta I've ever had in my life. 

I’ll echo this. I have not been to Amalfi either but it’s on my list for my next mainland Italy trip. I caught a Sardinia bug so that may be a bit, but I’ll get there.

I have been to Cinque Terre twice, both times in high season, and I really enjoyed it and would happily go again. It’s just a nice peaceful place to exist for a few days.

It gets crowded in the day but the crowds don’t bother me in a place like that nearly as much as they do in a congested city. If you stay in Cinque Terre, the crowds die off significantly by evening and the evenings/nights are splendid. I know Biff recommended staying outside Cinque Terre, but IMO that would be a mistake because then you are only experiencing it as one of the many day trippers, and you miss perhaps the best times.

33 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ll echo this. I have not been to Amalfi either but it’s on my list for my next mainland Italy trip. I caught a Sardinia bug so that may be a bit, but I’ll get there.

I have been to Cinque Terre twice, both times in high season, and I really enjoyed it and would happily go again. It’s just a nice peaceful place to exist for a few days.

It gets crowded in the day but the crowds don’t bother me in a place like that nearly as much as they do in a congested city. If you stay in Cinque Terre, the crowds die off significantly by evening and the evenings/nights are splendid. I know Biff recommended staying outside Cinque Terre, but IMO that would be a mistake because then you are only experiencing it as one of the many day trippers, and you miss perhaps the best times.

100% We stayed in Vernazza, and loved it. 

oh yeah? well i am also going to Italy, in late May. and it's totally impromptu...family trip,  Germany first. my dad lived in Kitzigen and i was born there. we're doing some WWII sites, renting a car and heading to Normandy. my French exchange student lives in Brest, she's going to meet us somewhere, i think we're just going to tour some of the countryside around there, i still need to do research on what to see (other than WWII sites which my dad is planning). at least 2 days in Paris (we actually love cities)... then we were going to just drive back to Frankfurt and fly home... but then my mate said something about 'too bad we're not going to visit Italy' and I was like...pause... actually, we can do whatever we want to do lol.

so now dad and sis will take car and head back to Germany/home and we're gonna add another 4-5 days and probably fly home from Rome. i'm already on top of booking the train Paris>Rome.

i have no idea what i'm doing, never visited anywhere overseas 😜... but i figure we will likely never be back there again so there are some musts in Paris and Rome. 

anyways...we've been talking about this trip for a few years, but not actually doing anything for it. then my dad had shoulder surgery, then fell and broke his leg last summer or we might have done it in the fall. bottom line... i purchased one-way tickets Denver>Frankfurt last weekend, so this is happening one way or another 😆😮 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from our trip. I am going to need a few days to collect my thoughts, but suffice it to say we had a wonderful time. 2 full days in Florence, long weekend in Rome (with palm sunday at Ninfa Gardens/Sicily-Rome American Cemetery/Anzio), and 4.5 days in Napoli.

More to come as I curate the 1600 photos. Napoli was as incredible as I’d hoped. If you are only stopping through en route to Amalfi/Capri etc/points furthet south, you are missing out. We booked a food tour through Culinary Backstreets that I can’t speak highly enough about. I will gladly seek out their offerings in other cities, and wouldn’t balk at doing the tour in Napoli again.

Pos rep to PW for some solid recs. The margherita at 50 Kalo on our pilgrim route to Virgil’s Tomb was a masterpiece of simplicity that will live in my dreams until I die. Butter chicken at Sostanza in Florence will be something I feebly attempt to recreate for the rest of my days. Lmk if any of you assholes has an olive grove

I could use a steaming hot cup of octopus broth right about now.

9e144d42bb906230ad370b5c25b3fa9e.jpg

80a1079283630b0f5b389863289168a8.jpg
5996586799f54ab42feeb30ea1bd7941.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2