Tamales

Bill Clay

3 hours ago, Bill Clay said:

Any legit tamale places in Austin? I'll also be in San Antonio next week and can pick some up there if there's a no-brainer type place to go which I'm sure there is.

Del  Rio Tortilla Factory in San Antonio is our place to order & pick up. Excellent tamales.

8 hours ago, Bill Clay said:

Any legit tamale places in Austin? I'll also be in San Antonio next week and can pick some up there if there's a no-brainer type place to go which I'm sure there is.

I always go to Facebook marketplace and find someone selling them out of their apartment/garage.  Haven’t been disappointed 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Underdog said:

Had Tellez Tamales in SA couple of weeks ago, only pork was available at the time, we thought they were outstanding.  

We went to the tamale festival in SA 6 or 7 years ago. Tried about all of the tamales and agreed that Tellez had the best. They won first place.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is there a separate word for the tamales that are straight masa? It's like a secret corn bomb mixed in with our normal pork tamales.

Sounds like it would be awesome smothered in chili.

Which brings me to a random thought offered to surly:

Pork tamales covered with chili and cheese, Arrendondo tex mex cheese enchiladas, and a properly dressed frito pie are all basically the same dish. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Pork tamales covered with chili and cheese, Arrendondo tex mex cheese enchiladas, and a properly dressed frito pie are all basically the same dish. 

Most Tex-Mex is basically the same dish: meat, beans, peppers, some tortilla product, and cheese. That’s not a criticism, because it’s delicious.

13 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Most Tex-Mex is basically the same dish: meat, beans, peppers, some tortilla product, and cheese. That’s not a criticism, because it’s delicious.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Back-in-Rahimatpur-I-was-considered-quit

• Like 1

Dai Due is selling some wild boar tamales:

Wild Boar Tamales Shredded feral hog in spicy Chile Rojo, tucked into traditional tamales made from locally-grown heirloom corn that our sister restaurant, Dai Due Taqueria, nixtamalizes into masa.  This masa is whipped with freshly rendered lard and then wrapped in a corn husk for the classic Christmas tamal experience. $24/dozen

I got some from the picos tamale stand outside the Picos restaurant on Kirby the other day.  they were f*cking terrible.  They were pork,  flavorless dry pork, and really gummy dough.  just utterly awful.  the ones at goode co taqueria with the smoked pork are pretty damn solid.  

Edited by pepper brooks

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I know it's just the Corpus in me, but the concept of $2/ea. or $2.50/ea. tamales fills me with rage. 

Guess I will need to buy a shitload of mystery meat tamales in CC at Xmas for 6/dz. and pack them in my suitcase for the flight home. 

L & L bbq is pricey to begin with, so not surprised the tamales were as well. Still ordered them.

Edited by AustinMT
spelling

On 12/17/2018 at 4:39 PM, formermav43 said:

You left out a key ingredient....... grease. No es bueno sin grass.

Edited by Armybrat

2 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Tellez is where you want to buy legit tamales in San Antonio. May want to call ahead to see if they have some first.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, po elvis said:

We went to the tamale festival in SA 6 or 7 years ago. Tried about all of the tamales and agreed that Tellez had the best. They won first place.

We thought they had the best filling/masa ratio for tamales we’ve had.  

6 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

The only tamales I want are made by some grandmother in her home kitchen who can't speak a lick of English. Nothing else compares.

i love those too, and got two three dozen abuelita tamales in addition to the fancy ones from R&L.  there's room for all of the tamales in my house.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

The only tamales I want are made by some grandmother in her home kitchen who can't speak a lick of English. Nothing else compares.

Truth. My grandmother got her Christmas meal tamales from her lovely Mexican neighbor friend. Best tamales I’ve ever had. Grandmother died. I don’t know where my Aunt gets them now. Not as good. 

• 11 months later...

Jr brought us some Tellez Tamales on his visit back in Oct.  we like them, we like them very much.  We had them back in Nov 2018 for our visit and thought they had a good masa/filling ratio.  

We're looking for places to ship to us here in NY. 

Edited by Underdog