Tamales

Bill Clay

On 12/22/2021 at 1:40 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Anyone tried the Delicious Tamales on Oltorf?

Seems they make a ton in the SA factory for school fundraisers and stuff.  Ate the ones I bought from my nephew last night and were solid enough for this gringo.  There was one other mention early on in this thread.

• 11 months later...

Slacked off again this year and didn’t order in advance. I fully expect to buy Christmas tamales in a Westheimer parking lot this year. 

Please don’t order tamales from Pappasitos. They used some sweet pork bullshit that is truly awful. I had to drown it in chili con carne and Tacodeli green sauce to make it edible last year. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Slacked off again this year and didn’t order in advance. I fully expect to buy Christmas tamales in a Westheimer parking lot this year. 

Alamo Tamales - you can order online, but I never have. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to wave at the tortilla-making ladies through the window.

Make sure to get the handmade and not the machine made ones which are smaller, cheaper and "less handmade".  They're the best I've found locally and you don't have to worry about how they've been made or kept.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:17 AM, DoobieWah said:

Alamo Tamales - you can order online, but I never have. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to wave at the tortilla-making ladies through the window.

Make sure to get the handmade and not the machine made ones which are smaller, cheaper and "less handmade".  They're the best I've found locally and you don't have to worry about how they've been made or kept.

My tamale guy at Southland Hardware was absent today. I guess he didn’t have water either. So I trekked over to Alamo. You Better be right. 

I picked up 12 hand made pork, and 12 spicy pork that are machine made. They said “no spicy” on the hand made. 

No chile con carne. Boo, but I picked some up at Pappasitos on the way homes. Have some Trader Joe’s Jalapeño Sauce ready to go as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1