Tamales

Bill Clay

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

How’s this work? Have some Texas Tamale Co buried in the back of the freezer and this thread reminded me of them.

Put them in a basket in the instant pot with some water in the bottom of the pot and use the steam setting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, MajorMajor said:
On 12/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, Underdog said:
Delia's is who we get ours shipped from, so damn good. 

Any reccomendations on varieties from Delia's? Never had tamales with cheese in them

Delia's has closed shipping it looks like. They must have gotten slammed with demand this year. 

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The cleaning lady who took care of the the newsroom I worked in out of college made the best venison tamales ever. Best part of working holidays was she'd bring in coolers full of them for us. God, I miss them. 

The South Texas episode of MeatEater on Netflix involved a trip across the border and venison tamales. They looked awesome. 

13 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The cleaning lady who took care of the the newsroom I worked in out of college made the best venison tamales ever. Best part of working holidays was she'd bring in coolers full of them for us. God, I miss them. 

Best one I know of was Lat22's tales of the lady in Falfurrias where, if you shot a pig, deer, javalina, whatever, you'd put a piece of masking tape around one of its legs, write your name on it, and just heave the critter out of your truck bed onto her front yard.  Then, you'd come back in 2 weeks and look for your half of the tamales that she'd convert them into.

No money.  You get half, she gets half.

Simbiosis.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Best one I know of was Lat22's tales of the lady in Falfurrias where, if you shot a pig, deer, javalina, whatever, you'd put a piece of masking tape around one of its legs, write your name on it, and just heave the critter out of your truck bed onto her front yard.  Then, you'd come back in 2 weeks and look for your half of the tamales that she'd convert them into.

No money.  You get half, she gets half.

Simbiosis.

that is a bad ass

• Like 1

In Robstown I wouldn't be surprised if those selling Tamales out of their car trunks were cartel operatives.

If you don't like 'em, DO NOT bitch about them!

Behind every cute little mamacita slingin' tamales is most likely a dude with a shiny, diagonal striped, untucked shirt counting the cash --

iu.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Probably applies to all of S TX now that I think about it.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it's a good sign when sauce is being dispensed from a powerade bottle

There’s a taco truck on Westheimer that dispenses their sauce via a plastic bag. 

I stopped fearing sketchy Houston taco trucks, and I’m a better man for it. If something was going to get me, Chula’s kitchen would have killed me long ago.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:03 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Texas Tamale Co's aren't bad. I haven't come across any better than can be shipped (never had ordered from Delia's, will def do that when I can next)

Thanks Aces. I think this is the only option. It's a relatively short drive for me in Houston. 

It doesn't look like the Sana Antonio tamale places mentioned upthread are set up for shipping, and I'm too late on Delia's.

Anyone have a recipe for chicken tamale filling? My sister and neice are coming over Sunday and we are cooking all day. She's making the pork, I'm making the bean and chicken filling, but have never actually done it myself. 

Only use thighs.

You could probably go many different ways with it but maybe do chicken tinga. Braise bone in thighs with onion, garlic, chipotle powder, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cool and shred.
  • Hook 'Em 1