Is anyone else a sucker for period pieces / historical dramas?

52-80

or basically anything movie and film set in times WW2 and prior?  fictional or real-based

some ive enjoyed recently:

The Last Kingdom (TV... sort of alternate to Vikings)

The Duellists (supposedly one of the most realistic portrayals of fencing and swordfighting)

Mongol (not a great film per se but I enjoy the subject)

The New World (decenttttt)

• Like 1

I love a well done period piece if it's an interesting story. Now if it's a politically correct re-imaging of history, I'm out. But reasonably authentic with attention to detail and I'm in.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

PBS and BBC do them better than anyone.

Gotta throw HBO in there, too.

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Wolf Hall, on Amazon Prime. Wonderfully done period series from BBC/Masterpiece Theatre about Tudor England.  The sets, the costumes, the score, exquisitely acted ...I cannot recommend it highly enough.

A bit of a show burn, this one.  Felt slogged trying to get through ep1 and ep2

I enjoyed the attention to period detail and class-distinct manners of speaking in Turn: Washington's Spies.  The actor who portrayed GW looked as if he just walked off the front of a dollar bill.  Several other excellent casting choices.  Historical adventures, count me in, from Rapa Nui to Dunkirk.  Barry Lyndon would be an example of how to transport a viewer through history.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:10 AM, Bama Llama said:

I enjoyed the attention to period detail and class-distinct manners of speaking in Turn: Washington's Spies.  The actor who portrayed GW looked as if he just walked off the front of a dollar bill.  Several other excellent casting choices.  Historical adventures, count me in, from Rapa Nui to Dunkirk.  Barry Lyndon would be an example of how to transport a viewer through history.

I'm one of those nerds who always pays attention to historical accuracy with regards to costume and especially guns, so I always appreciate it when they pay close attention to that kind of stuff. Simcoe was an excellent villain.

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

. Simcoe was an excellent villain.

And Simcoe's quasi-falsetto voice only added to the menace.  You're right, an excellent, vicious villain.  His superior, Major Hewlett, who had the hots for lovely Anna, was a very sympathetic character.  This series really brought the Revolutionary War to life.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:25 PM, 52-80 said:

barry lyndon is fun as hell

I must be an outlier. I've tried several times to watch Barry Lyndon and never make it all the way. I know it's considered a Kubrick masterpiece and has some incredible cinematography, but it just bores me to death. 

• 1 month later...

Wife and I are powering through Downton Abbey now.  How did I manage to miss this?  Maggie Smith character has us both laughing.

Sort of a "period film" but try streaming "The Durrells in Corfu"....its a British comedy.  Keeley Hawes' character makes the show.  Very well done.  Be sure to start from the beginning.

I've mentioned it elsewhere but "The Collection" is a great post-war Paris fashion industry piece.  Great acting.

"Alias Grace" is good as well.

Edited by gecko

On 11/30/2018 at 9:03 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Absolutely and not just pre-WW2 either.

Loved Downton Abbey, Deutschland 83, The Tudors, Peaky Blinders, The Crown, Band of Brothers, Pacific and my all time favorite is probably John Adams.

Loved the John Adams miniseries

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gecko said:

Wife and I are powering through Downton Abbey now.  How did I manage to miss this?  Maggie Smith character has us both laughing.

Sort of a "period film" but try streaming "The Durrells in Corfu"....its a British comedy.  Keeley Hawes' character makes the show.  Very well done.  Be sure to start from the beginning.

I've mentioned it elsewhere but "The Collection" is a great post-war Paris fashion industry piece.  Great acting.

"Alias Grace" is good as well.

One of my favorite lines ever

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...

Finished Downton Abbey last night (finally).  It got a little tedious at the end.  I was really disappointed the zombied corpses of Cybil and Matthew didn't show up just as they were all signing auld lang syne 

Edited by gecko

I found Rome to be a little disappointing, but that is likely because I did not watch it until about a year ago, and had been spoiled by GoT.  If Rome had the same resources that have been put into GoT, it would have been much better. 

I'm a huge fan of all the period dramas, even if they are glorified soap operas. 

• 1 month later...

Plowing through Wolf Hall now....very well acted.  Interior sets are first rate, however, exteriors look too manicured to be 16th century.....all in all, if you like period films/series, I would recommend it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...