Is anyone else a sucker for period pieces / historical dramas?

52-80

On 6/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, Post Oak said:

So poldark is more romance novel than was wanting.  I'm out.

Still smitten with the redhead tho 

Wife and I started this Sunday, and are about 3 episodes in. Sucks to hear it turns to mush because the first three episodes were pretty good. 

And the Redhead is absolute smoke. 

• Like 1

Roots - best depiction of Old South slavery I’ve ever seen.

Centennial (a less flamboyant takeoff of The film How the West Was Won).

Both are TV classics with great casts and excellent acting, especially Roots which introduced Americans to a number of fine black actors who were relatively unknown up until the series aired.

I didn’t think much about it until I got married. The wife would watch a BBC broadcast that always featured period pieces, and I would get stuck watching with her. What I walked away with, is that there are a lot of English actors and actresses that are really fucking good at their craft. The depth of talent in the U.K. is amazing.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:10 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Wife and I started this Sunday, and are about 3 episodes in. Sucks to hear it turns to mush because the first three episodes were pretty good. 

Interested to see how far you've gotten

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Roots - best depiction of Old South slavery I’ve ever seen.

Centennial (a less flamboyant takeoff of The film How the West Was Won).

Both are TV classics with great casts and excellent acting, especially Roots which introduced Americans to a number of fine black actors who were relatively unknown up until the series aired.

When Roots first aired In 1977, I thought it was amazing. I tried rewatching recently and couldn’t get through it. It hasn’t aged very well. 

Edited by TonyTexas

The wife and I watched the Durells in Corfu a few weeks ago.  British period drama set in the 1930's. We really liked it.  Funny and hits you in the feels too.  Had no idea it was based on an actual family until we were done watching it.  It's on Amazon Prime.

Edited by kevwun

On 1/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The PBS adaptation of P.G. Wodehouse' Wooster and Geeves with Hugh Laurie and Steven Frye.

Hell yeah.  Made me laugh after my divorce. 

BBC's Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People with John Gielgud are excellent.  Available on regular youtube. 

And Fleabag had best answer for favorite period piece...Carrie. 

14 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Not much farther. I think we finished ep 5 last night. Mrs Rojo really likes it, so I’ll probably stick it out for the rest of this season and see how it goes. 

I just wanted it to be different.  I'm sure it's good just not what I want

On 6/19/2020 at 5:37 PM, Post Oak said:

I just wanted it to be different.  I'm sure it's good just not what I want

Yea, we finished S1 last night. I was hoping for more Outlander and less romance novel. Mrs Rojo really likes it and plans to keep going. I’m undecided at the moment. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:36 AM, gecko said:

Plowing through Wolf Hall now....very well acted.  Interior sets are first rate, however, exteriors look too manicured to be 16th century.....all in all, if you like period films/series, I would recommend it.

Absolute masterpiece.

Sets, costumes incredible.  Very understated.  Period instruments for the soundtrack.

Mark Rylance was a tour de force, and Damien Lewis his usual brilliant self.

Loved the alternative perspective on Cromwell.

This prompted me to read the novels by Hilary Mantel. The third one was just released this spring, the Mirror and the Light.  Working my way through that now.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

(Poldark talk)

Started tonight, 4 episodes in and I’m hooked. Kind of a (slightly) lower class Downton Abbey feel.

I found Rome to be a little disappointing, but that is likely because I did not watch it until about a year ago, and had been spoiled by GoT.  If Rome had the same resources that have been put into GoT, it would have been much better. 
I'm a huge fan of all the period dramas, even if they are glorified soap operas. 

Rome was the most expensive series ever produced. It’s the reason they ended it after two seasons. They literally built a scaled down Rome in Spain instead of just using CGI.

It’s still my favorite series ever, GoT is second.

14 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Rome was the most expensive series ever produced. It’s the reason they ended it after two seasons. They literally built a scaled down Rome in Spain instead of just using CGI.

I always heard GoT was the most expensive, on a per episode basis.

And in part due to CGI.  Well, atleast according to "insiders" who explained away why dragon scenes and big CGI battles (blackwater bay) werent longer...because apparently they are extravagantly expensive.

The production costs of animations like Coco and Zootopia seems it be high as fuck, so it seems like CGI is now less about cost savings than it is about logistics and produceability

I always heard GoT was the most expensive, on a per episode basis.

And in part due to CGI.  Well, atleast according to "insiders" who explained away why dragon scenes and big CGI battles (blackwater bay) werent longer...because apparently they are extravagantly expensive.

The production costs of animations like Coco and Zootopia seems it be high as fuck, so it seems like CGI is now less about cost savings than it is about logistics and produceability

Yeah I don’t about now but up to GoT, Rome has been the most expensive. I read they even had local artisans even make replicas of Roman Knick knacks to put in houses etc. the detail they went into was mind boggling

21 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Part of the reason they cancelled was because the set burned down