Best use of Yes/Ya/Yeah by a Singer

MoJames

UT Czech beat me to it. That is the definitive single, stand alone "yeah" in rock n roll history. 

Karen O probably deserves an honorable mention. Under the techincal requirements here, her band's "use" of the word is pretty dedicated.

By my count Otis Redding says "yeah" 21 times in Try a Little Tenderness, and the emotion/meaning behind it changes throughout the song.

The chorus in American Girl, which is among the most sing-a-long-able in music history in my book, starts off with an assertive "Oh yeah."

Also, this, in case you forgot how much James Hetfield can fucking deliver the goods:

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 5

OK, I'm hardly the biggest Beatles fan in the world, but that's f'n awesome.

Question:  who is doubling Paul's vocals (starts ~ 1:35 with "the minute, you let her under your skin")?  Ringo isn't singing and John & George are doing harmony "ahs".  Post production doubling?  A singer off camera?  An effect?

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I'm hardly the biggest Beatles fan in the world, but that's f'n awesome.

Question:  who is doubling Paul's vocals (starts ~ 1:35 with "the minute, you let her under your skin")?  Ringo isn't singing and John & George are doing harmony "ahs".  Post production doubling?  A singer off camera?  An effect?

OK, I looked it up -- they were lip synching with the exception of Paul's live vocals.  (Actually, I think it was probably pretty much all live until that 1:35 mark, with them cuing off studio monitors that weren't being picked up by the live microphones.  They must have had to really crank the volume once hundreds of people were singing along, and maybe mixed in the studio recording for the broadcast at the point Paul's vocal is clearly doubled.)

Sorry about the tangent, I get really intrigued with this stuff.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Correct.  They did the same thing for the Revolution video (filmed the same day), live vocals over studio track.  Similarly, for All You Need is Love (performed live for a world wide satellite broadcast), they sang live to again a pre-recorded backing track (the performance was also being recorded by George Martin), but then John went back and re-recorded his lead vocal.  So the released version = pre-recorded backing track+live broadcast "background" vocals (the crowd, the She Loves You and Yesterday shout outs...)+re-recorded lead vocal.

I'll submit a vote for Juvenile's 1999 smash hit "Back That Azz Up"

An excerpt:

You got a stupid ass, yeah, make me laugh, yeah
Make a n____ want to grab that, autograph that
I'm sweatin' in the drawers, yeah, hard and long, yeah
Want to walk it like a dog, yeah, break you off, yeah
Get - mine you gon' get yours, yeah, that for sure, yeah
You fuckin' with my nerves, yeah and to the curb, yeah
I know you bitches know, yeah, and it show, yeah
But a n____ got some more, yeah, I'm out to flow, yeah
Fresh brought some shit, yeah, and his bitch, yeah
We be making hit, yeah after hit, yeah
Them titties sittin' nice, yeah, I want to bite, yeah
I could fuck you right, yeah, all night, yeah
Want to bring it to my house, yeah, on the couch, yeah
Knock the pussy out, yeah, get them out, yeah
I want to see these hoes, yeah, bend it low, yeah
Let me run it in the hole, yeah, and let me know, yeah

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Can't forget the yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh by Sam Clayton on backup vocals after the "he's the man to meet" line in the last verse of Rock and Roll Doctor.

I fucking love Little Feat.  If you haven't seen it, there is a good documentary on Lowell George at prime video.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B078TNR4J9

Edited by BottleRocket

• 2 weeks later...