NYC Pre-Theater Food and Drink

DFWTexEx

Couple questions: (1) Are you set on eating in midtown near the theater? (2) Are you set on eating before the show at what will probably be like 5:30?  If you eat a mid-day snack, you could go out to a better restaurant at ~10:00 for a real meal. I know some people don't like to eat late, but this is what I always have my parents do when they visit. (3) Type of food and general budget? 

16 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Couple questions: (1) Are you set on eating in midtown near the theater? (2) Are you set on eating before the show at what will probably be like 5:30?  If you eat a mid-day snack, you could go out to a better restaurant at ~10:00 for a real meal. I know some people don't like to eat late, but this is what I always have my parents do when they visit. (3) Type of food and general budget? 

(i)  Not set on eating in Theater District.   Don't mind a good walk or a reasonable cab / Uber ride so long as we get to theater by 7:30 to meet friends. 

(ii) It will be a travel day, so we do need eat something before the show. 

(iii) We are open to anything, but are thinking about small plates, tapas, etc.  Pretty adventurous eaters.  No real budget; happy to pay for something good and interesting. 

Thanks.

You’re on the East Side. I’d go against the grain and try PJ Clarke’s on 55th/3rd. Definitely not your dress up kind of place and off the beaten track. But a famed local spot with excellent burgers and stiff drinks. 

I’m sure you’ll get plenty of fancy recs from others. 

3 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

(i)  Not set on eating in Theater District.   Don't mind a good walk or a reasonable cab / Uber ride so long as we get to theater by 7:30 to meet friends. 

(ii) It will be a travel day, so we do need eat something before the show. 

(iii) We are open to anything, but are thinking about small plates, tapas, etc.  Pretty adventurous eaters.  No real budget; happy to pay for something good and interesting. 

Thanks.

Ok. I don't eat in that area often so not too familiar with the sit down restaurants or tapas bars. There is certainly the tourist classics like Carmine's. I'm sure there are others that folks will suggest, and you should consider them. If you have any interest in ramen and/or Thai, I have three suggests in Hell's Kitchen, which is adjacent to the theater district. First, Totto Ramen on 52nd and 9th is a tokyo-style ramen joint where you sit at a counter and and eat very quickly. The ramen and pork buns are excellent. I love this place; it is decidedly not fancy. Second, Ippudo Ramen on 51st. One of two locations for the famous Ramen, and worth the hype. Usually a very long wait, but it opens at 5:00 p.m. so you could possibly get one of the first tables. Finally, Wondee Siam, on 9th Ave between 52nd and 53rd. Small BYOB thai place that is great and cheap.   

7 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You’re on the East Side. I’d go against the grain and try PJ Clarke’s on 55th/3rd. Definitely not your dress up kind of place and off the beaten track. But a famed local spot with excellent burgers and stiff drinks. 

Right, should note my suggestions are on the west side, which will probably be closer to your theater but farther from your hotel. I don't know many east side non-work places. If you want to try some great sushi ($$$), you could call Yasuda for a 6:00 p.m. reservation. The max meal-time is 1.5 hours, so 1 hour wouldn't be a problem. Then a cab over to your theater. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

This is a sold reco.  I lived two block from PJ's and spent a lot of time in there drinking and eating.  Good raw bar too.   On a wknd night be prepared for a decent wait.

On 3/28/2018 at 10:13 PM, DanRydell said:

I went to Glass House Tavern last year before seeing Dear Evan Hansen and it was really good.

We ended up doing a big lunch at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central and then went to Glass House for just drinks and a cheese plate before the show.  Great find.  Awesome service, good selection of everything.  We ended up going back after the show for a bottle of wine and more food.  It was odd that all the cheesy, touristy places were packed, but Glass House had tables both times.  Good call. 

The Smith in 51st and 2nd is pretty solid. Need a larger group for Carmine’s. TONS of food and you’ll have leftovers for the homeless.

Also, Pio Pio....a good Peruvian place on 43rd and 10th which is a 15 min walk or short Uber ride to Times Sq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

Also, Pio Pio....a good Peruvian place on 43rd and 10th which is a 15 min walk or short Uber ride to Times Sq.

Whoa.  There used to be a Pio Pio way up on the UES.  Like 97th and 1st.  Damn I loved that place. 

*thread jack alert*

So, my son is singing at carnegie hall in a couple weeks and i am flying up to watch.  Staying across the street from CH for two days.  I will be at the mercy of uber.

He loves italian food so would like a solid rec in that general area.  Would prefer casual with real deal italian food if possible. 

Finally, I have 1 day with him, planning on the 9/11 memorial, what would be stop #2?  Museum of nat history is around the corner, considering that.  

4 minutes ago, chesthair said:

*thread jack alert*

So, my son is singing at carnegie hall in a couple weeks and i am flying up to watch.  Staying across the street from CH for two days.  I will be at the mercy of uber.

He loves italian food so would like a solid rec in that general area.  Would prefer casual with real deal italian food if possible. 

Finally, I have 1 day with him, planning on the 9/11 memorial, what would be stop #2?  Museum of nat history is around the corner, considering that.  

Mercato.  In Hell's Kitchen.

Patsy's (pizza) is a few blocks from the Nat History museum.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chesthair said:

*thread jack alert*

Everyone is going to have their favorite Italian spots and you have a myriad of places to choose from in that area. If you want good Italian next to CH, go to Patsy’s on 56th between 7th and 8th. It’s smaller, somewhat touristy and you’ll need a reservation. If you can handle a slightly longer walk, go to Tony Di Napoli’s on 43rd between 6th and 7th. Also touristy, but it’s right off the Theatre District and Times Square which you’re going to see at night anyway. They serve dishes family style for dinner and have the best Chicken Parm in Manhattan. (Carmine’s is near there too, but I prefer Tony’s) If you want to spend a little more coin, Marea is worth a visit. It’s a further walk, and you’ll need to dress up, so this will be an Uber. It’s right next to Central Park, which is great at dusk. If you’re just looking for pizza in the area, go to Angelo’s on 57th between 6th and 7th for NY Coal fired or Don Antonio on 50th between 8th and 9th if you want Napoli Italian-Style.

If you're going to WTC, stop #2 would obviously be the SOL, which is a few blocks away. View it from the Staten Island Ferry for free instead of those crappy tours. The NYSE, Fraunces Tavern and the site where Washington was sworn in as President are also in the vicinity.

• Like 1

Also AMNH is not around the corner. You would need to walk down to 59th/Columbus Circle to catch the A/C or B/D to get there. 

All those sound great. I am going to patsys the night before with clients.

Just looking for solid Italian I can wear shorts and a cap.

*thread jack alert*

Ill Tinello on 56th is fantastic. Old school northern Italian. I suspect they haven’t changed the wallpaper since we he 70s.

I have eaten there numerous times and never been disappointed. I have also never eaten off the menu..usually follow the waiter’s recommendation. Ceasar made tableside, too.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Also to add to spankytoes attractions...trinity church is very close to places listed.

As it's literally across the street from the office I posted from, not sure how I forgot about that one. Unless you take the museum tour for WTC instead of just visiting the memorial, your free day is literally a "free day" cost-wise. (Well, the subway will run you $2.75)

7 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

As it's literally across the street from the office I posted from, not sure how I forgot about that one. Unless you take the museum tour for WTC instead of just visiting the memorial, your free day is literally a "free day" cost-wise. (Well, the subway will run you $2.75)

Ok, back up.  How should i plan my WTC/9-11 visit?

7 minutes ago, chesthair said:

Ok, back up.  How should i plan my WTC/9-11 visit?

In what sense? The memorial is free and open to the public. The museum requires tickets and usually has a long line. I know nothing about the museum and the experience other than the tickets aren't cheap. I know all about the long lines because I used to pass the people coming from the WTC PATH Station before WTC 3 got built up. 

Since you're staying across from CH (The Sheraton or Hotel Wellington?), I'd plan my day as follows:

Take the N-Q-R-W Downtown to Times Square. Switch to the 1 train Downtown to South Ferry

Get off at South Ferry and take the Staten Island Ferry. The Ferry is big, so don't worry about all the people in the terminal. If you want pictures of the SOL, be on the right side of the ferry en route to Staten Island. When you dock at St. George in SI, take the ferry back. If you want more pictures, be on the left side. The absolute best place to be for a tourist is in the back of the ferry because you will get some great photos of the Manhattan skyline, especially the WTC. (Obviously, be in the front for the journey back)

When you get back to South Ferry, walk up Broadway. You will pass the Charging Bull/Feminist response. Trinity Church is a couple minutes north up Broadway. The NYSE and Federal Hall are a block over on Nassau St. You'll also see one of Trump's buildings. Since you have a kid, Fraunces Tavern is optional. It's the oldest bar in America and our founding fathers used to drink there. That's about a 5 minute walk away. From that area, I'd continue walking up Broadway passing the Woolworth Building, which doubled as the headquarters in the new Harry Potter series. (Fantastic Beasts?) City Hall is there as is a nice park. Then I'd walk the Brooklyn Bridge. When you get to the other side, eat at Juliana's Pizza. Then walk to the York Street station and take the F train to 57th St. Your hotel is a 4 minute walk from there.

Times Square is within walking distance from your hotel. Penn Station is pushing it a bit. That's where you'll fine the Empire State Building. Grand Central is also doable. The station itself is great and that's where you'll find the Chrysler Building.

• Like 2

For WTC, just see the memorial.  In May/June, it's starting to be tourist season and the observation deck, museum, etc. will eat up half a day and are only marginally worth it.  Trinity church is worth a visit - our daughter goes to their preschool so we sometimes go to services there, but just walking around the cemetary and the chapel are pretty transporting.  You're also right by the Oculus (WTC train station) that is cool to see but really it's just a shopping center.  If you're with your wife, she might be interested in popping into Century 21 but I would avoid that like the plague.

Also right across from WTC is Brookfield Place if you want to shop and/or grab lunch.  There's a PJ Clarke's there that's right on the water with Statue of Liberty Views and yacht docks.

As for the OP mid-town/pre-theater, I'm not as familiar up there, but I will say Carmines is pretty fun and the food is actually damn good. And, Marea, lulz.

• Like 1

Im at the hilton on 54/broadway.  

i like the idea of taking the ferry.  I just want to show him some historical stuff, dont need to do the tour/observation deck...ill pass on those.  Since i'm "in the business" i want to show him wall street.  Trinity sounds like a good idea.  

ETA: NO, the wife will NOT be with us.  He is a Freshman so just the boys. 

Edited by chesthair

EDIT:  Spanky's note was way more comprehensive.  Only adjustment I'd suggest is that if you're looking to actually have a drink down in financial/battery area, go SEE Fraunces Tavern, but drink at either Dead Rabbit (cocktails) or BlackTail (waterfront drinks/food).

3 hours ago, chesthair said:

Im at the hilton on 54/broadway.  

i like the idea of taking the ferry.  I just want to show him some historical stuff, dont need to do the tour/observation deck...ill pass on those.  Since i'm "in the business" i want to show him wall street.  Trinity sounds like a good idea.  

Ah. That's the Hilton Garden Inn. (Make sure you know that for directions as there's a Hilton at 54th/6th) You are a couple blocks from CH. I used to live on 56th between 8th and 9th so I know that area well. You can just get on the 1 train at 50th/Broadway all the way to South Ferry then. Listen to the train announcement. Either the 1st 4 or last 4 cars either don't platform or are the only ones that do. I forget. From Juliana's/Brooklyn Bridge, take the 2-3 from the Clark Street station to Times Square and change to the 1 to 50th or walk from there. Google Maps is good, but you won't have cell service in most of the subway. iTrans NYC is a great app that's easy to use and doesn't require data. 

Central Park is also a 10 minute walk, albeit, you really want to take the A-C or B-D to 72nd. That's where Strawberry Fields is and the walk is great. You can catch the C at 50th/8th or the A-C or B-D at 59th/8th. (Columbus Circle) This is also the routing to get to the AMNH, which is worth the visit. Depending on how old he is, they also have a spend the night at the museum program that is really cool.

Trinity Church is on the corner of Broadway and Wall, so you'll see it. That won't be impressive. The NYSE a block over is the iconic building.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We got tickets to The Book of Mormon and are staying at the Sofitel.  I've got no clue where anything is, and my wife is pregnant......so, short walks are ideal.  I like whiskey and steaks. She likes whiskey and steaks, minus the whiskey for now.  Any recommendations or other short walkable things to do/see?  Much appreciated. 

Edited by Daichee Bell

21 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

We got tickets to The Book of Mormon and are staying at the Sofitel.  I've got no clue where anything is, and my wife is pregnant......so, short walks are ideal.  I like whiskey and steaks. She likes whiskey and steaks, minus the whiskey for now.  Any recommendations or other short walkable things to do/see?  Much appreciated. 

Keens

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 3:59 PM, chesthair said:

*thread jack alert*

this is the satellite MoNH, not the big boy on the UWS. take a ferry/water taxi Brooklyn and eat some pizza

From your hotel, you are a few minutes walk from Grand Central, The NY Public Library (Ghostbuster's library), Rockafeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and Bryant Park. There are a few subway lines there too if you want to branch out.

No help on steaks in that area. I hear Spark's is good but I've never been there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, midtown said:

Keens

That looks very steak and whiskey-ish.  Appreciate it.   

20 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

From your hotel, you are a few minutes walk from Grand Central, The NY Public Library (Ghostbuster's library), Rockafeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and Bryant Park. There are a few subway lines there too if you want to branch out.

No help on steaks in that area. I hear Spark's is good but I've never been there. 

Appreciate it. 

In what sense? The memorial is free and open to the public. The museum requires tickets and usually has a long line. I know nothing about the museum and the experience other than the tickets aren't cheap. I know all about the long lines because I used to pass the people coming from the WTC PATH Station before WTC 3 got built up. 
Since you're staying across from CH (The Sheraton or Hotel Wellington?), I'd plan my day as follows:
Take the N-Q-R-W Downtown to Times Square. Switch to the 1 train Downtown to South Ferry
Get off at South Ferry and take the Staten Island Ferry.

Or just take the R/W all the way to Whitehall. Sure they’re slow but the 1 is local too and you don’t have to go through the clusterfuck Times Sq station for a transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Circling back...

Had a good trip, enjoyed the concert at Carnegie.  Turns out 15 year old boys would rather hang with their buddies, not their lame ass dad so I had 2 days by myself to wander around.  Really enjoyed myself.   My list of eats:

-Angelos pizza. Wanted NY pizza but didnt want to travel and angelos was around the corner.  Solid marg pizza.

-Times square deli.  My kid was staying at the Crowne Plaza at TS so took him there for b'fast.  Ok.

-Dinner at Patsy's.  Excellent.  Shitty old fashion but good food.

-O'Hara's near 9/11 museum.  Really enjoyed hanging out at this bar.  Decent burger but cool people and atmosphere.

-Empire Steak House.  Not bad at all. Blue Point oysters, better than average steak.

-Iguana.  Looking for a good beer and it was across the street from the hotel.  Legit mexican food, people there were trainwrecks so that made it interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting at JFK heading back.
Balthazar- best overall meal
La Esquina- best bar (speakeasy thru the taco shack)
Lillie’s - best old fashioned
Tanner & smith- best breakfast
Book of Mormon- holy shit it is funny. My wife struggled in spots.