If Herman wants advice from other coaches...

Brock Sampson

I believe distractions play a part. Just as I believe that Herman has not yet shown to be capable of controlling his emotions during the game. He is a damn basket case during the game. He gets way to high when good things happen. And almost gets depressive when things go to hell. The difference between Herman and Riley’s composure during a game are visually  night and day.

We can also debate the issue of infidelity issues between him and his wife. As well as the Zack Smith debacle. But, you can bet she doesn’t let Herman forget any of that. Every time the OK cool, Hook em pops up we laugh, she probably doesn’t. As it reminds her, which I’m sure reminds Herman she has that hanging over his head. If you have been, or are married you know that can be debilitating on ones mental health. Because it is a constant reminder of where your marriage has been and where it could go if she decides to cut and run. Something of that nature that could be used against you at any time has got to create a shit load of pressure in a marriage.

Next is his inability to control his emotions on the sideline during the game, it  is becoming a liability. He simply can’t stop worrying about the final results while still playing the fucking game. He has been around far too long to have not moved past that. The obvious answer is to simply keep focused. Yet he appears to be unable to do that. Instead he chooses to dwell on the negativity. He needs a sports psychologist in the worse way.

Compared to Riley who keeps almost every emotion close to the vest. And uses his game play card as a totem. When something bad happens watch what he immediately does next. Out comes the index card and you see him studying it. I believe that is his controlling mechanism, his way to force himself to refocus on the task at hand. And not dwell on what he can’t control. He does this better then many of the CEO’s of companies I have worked for. And why he is getting looked at for bigger jobs. He excludes confidence and expects his charges to behave in the same way. Quite remarkable for one so young. OU got really fucking lucky to find the guy.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 7

4 hours ago, Hamttx said:

I believe distractions play a part. Just as I believe that Herman has not yet shown to be capable of controlling his emotions during the game. He is a damn basket case during the game. He gets way to high when good things happen. And almost gets depressive when things go to hell. The difference between Herman and Riley’s composure during a game are visually  night and day.

We can also debate the issue of infidelity issues between him and his wife. As well as the Zack Smith debacle. But, you can bet she doesn’t let Herman forget any of that. Every time the OK cool, Hook em pops up we laugh, she probably doesn’t. As it reminds her, which I’m sure reminds Herman she has that hanging over his head. If you have been, or are married you know that can be debilitating on ones mental health. Because it is a constant reminder of where your marriage has been and where it could go if she decides to cut and run. Something of that nature that could be used against you at any time has got to create a shit load of pressure in a marriage.

Next is his inability to control his emotions on the sideline during the game, it  is becoming a liability. He simply can’t stop worrying about the final results while still playing the fucking game. He has been around far too long to have not moved past that. The obvious answer is to simply keep focused. Yet he appears to be unable to do that. Instead he chooses to dwell on the negativity. He needs a sports psychologist in the worse way.

Compared to Riley who keeps almost every emotion close to the vest. And uses his game play card as a totem. When something bad happens watch what he immediately does next. Out comes the index card and you see him studying it. I believe that is his controlling mechanism, his way to force himself to refocus on the task at hand. And not dwell on what he can’t control. He does this better then many of the CEO’s of companies I have worked for. And why he is getting looked at for bigger jobs. He excludes confidence and expects his charges to behave in the same way. Quite remarkable for one so young. OU got really fucking lucky to find the guy.

You may want to check her Twitter.  She promoted ok cool hook em.   But yea you keep judging away

While I am not 100% sold on your psychoanalysis of him, I think there's a lot to this.  Someone somewhere (Scipio maybe), pointed out that he behaves very much like an introvert in press conferences, which is probably pretty unusual for a HFC.  So the tension between his natural tendency and the job requirements cause some oddball behavior.  Also, I think he's just flat got an immature streak.  Part of it is Beavis-immaturity and part of it is the simple emotional immaturity that you recite, which can be a result of not having reconciled one's personality with one's occupation.

• Like 1

You a reddirtshithead trolling this board? Riley himself, maybe?

• Like 1

This reads like a shitty 5th grade persuasive essay. Have you ever watched a game where Urban Meyer is coaching? The dude is in real physical pain, but he has 3 national championships and is 11-3 in bowl games, so I'll take Herman's style if it means the players place meaning in winning and losing. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Take more chances but not with trick plays. 

Last year he was so brazen going for it almost on every occasion. He got a lot of criticism for that and seems to have done a 180 this year.  The hb option play was fucking stupid.  Not going fot it on 4th and 11 at the end of the half was too.  

We got more stops from ou if you include FGs than i expected.  We should have done more against that shit D ro win the game

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Someone somewhere (Scipio maybe), pointed out that he behaves very much like an introvert in press conferences, which is probably pretty unusual for a HFC.

How is that significantly different than Nick Saban?  He looks like he’d rather be anywhere else in the world during his press conferences. I think Herman enjoys these about as much as your average coach, and his demeanor seems more measured and reserved than antisocial.

A lot of Dr. Phil’s in this thread.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

How is that significantly different than Nick Saban?  He looks like he’d rather be anywhere else in the world during his press conferences. I think Herman enjoys these about as much as your average coach, and his demeanor seems more measured and reserved than antisocial.

A lot of Dr. Phil’s in this thread.

Perhaps it doesn't, but ol' Nick has had a number of years to reconcile himself to who he is.  Therefore, he doesn't have these sort of bipolar swings of emotion.  Introverted doesn't mean antisocial, as you said it's measured and reserved.  Yet his sideline behavior is often anything but, and I don't just mean rage-outs either.  I think he's fairly conflicted as to whether he's a "player's coach" and general purpose fun guy or kind of an asshole.

5 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Closet gooner......Take this bullshit babble to a BlowU board....

Remember that TEXAS beat Riley and BlowU's sorry ass in October with a much less talented OL and QB..... 

When TEXAS gets better in the trenches is when the HORNS will start beating BlowU more regularly.....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Except Michelle Herman wore an OK Cool shirt to the Iowa State game. 

And Lincoln Riley is constantly bitching and whining on the sideline. And he has literally cried in press conferences multiple times. 

Do you actually watch any of this?

• Like 5

What in the blue hell?  This has nothing to do with anything, not to mention that it's crazy presumptuous.  

The rest of your post is silly as well.  Tom Herman isn't Lincoln Riley.  Asking one to be the other is stupid.  Nick Saban is pretty much the gold standard these days and he's a prickly emotional wreck 24/7.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Perhaps it doesn't, but ol' Nick has had a number of years to reconcile himself to who he is.  Therefore, he doesn't have these sort of bipolar swings of emotion.  Introverted doesn't mean antisocial, as you said it's measured and reserved.  Yet his sideline behavior is often anything but, and I don't just mean rage-outs either.  I think he's fairly conflicted as to whether he's a "player's coach" and general purpose fun guy or kind of an asshole.

And that's a fair assessment.  It does appear that Herman is still trying to figure out what kind of coach he needs to be for this Texas program, and looks to be moving more toward the firm but player-friendly coach and away from the complete asshole he was at the beginning when he felt he needed to establish his "culture."  With other coaches, they are who they are from day one, like Saban. 

But I think people are reading way too much into his press conference behavior. 

You may want to check her Twitter.  She promoted ok cool hook em.   But yea you keep judging away
Except Michelle Herman wore an OK Cool shirt to the Iowa State game. 
And Lincoln Riley is constantly bitching and whining on the sideline. And he has literally cried in press conferences multiple times. 
Do you actually watch any of this?
What in the blue hell?  This has nothing to do with anything, not to mention that it's crazy presumptuous.  
The rest of your post is silly as well.  Tom Herman isn't Lincoln Riley.  Asking one to be the other is stupid.  Nick Saban is pretty much the gold standard these days and he's a prickly emotional wreck 24/7.  
Hammdix is projecting. Hamm obviously cheated on his wife ( probably with a small furry animal) and she holds it over him and makes his life a living hell.
TH drinks too much water during press conferences. Must cut back 
Naw, water don't matter but he does need to quick kick more during games.
  • Like 1

Since when did introversion become a unique trait for a head coach? It could very well be that he just doesn't like being contractually obligated to answer dumb fucking questions from Kirk Bohls and FCB. 

Barack Obama is an introvert. I'm pretty sure he did okay leading (regardless of your political take) a massive movement. What the hell is wrong with you people? 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

This reads like a shitty 5th grade persuasive essay. Have you ever watched a game where Urban Meyer is coaching? The dude is in real physical pain, but he has 3 national championships and is 11-3 in bowl games, so I'll take Herman's style if it means the players place meaning in winning and losing. 

Obviously more times then you, Or you too would be aware of just how different he has become. Urban Meyer was not always what we see today. There was a time he was a far more stoic and confident coach on the sideline. A quality he displayed while brakeing a foot off in Stoops ass for a title. What changed? My guess would be everything from Aaron Hernandez to covering up wife beating. And what happens to many men when they get a part of their lives where they reflect on what they have done, what they have not done, and what they should have done. It’ll happen to you as well.

But then again that wasn’t my point. You don’t get to choose which you would rather have. Herman now has a losing record to his most hated rival. He has lost three times as many games as Riley over the same period, and depending on how today shakes out he may be behind 0-2 on getting his team to the playoffs at a University whose fan base can never seem to quit talking about how much they have. All while suffering year after year at a sport they (we) all love. Honestly, how is Texas not part of the conversation when absolutely no one debates all of the built in advantages they (we) supposedly have?

The pressure on Herman this morning is intense. And it shows. And he had a chance to change the narrative when he beat Riley head to head in October. But then explicitly drops two games, that most of us believe should have been wins against OSU and WV. And the part that is really hard to understand is OSU had OU beat! But they didn’t win, and Riley was cool as hell under that stress. If a part of you can’t find at least some redeeming quality in that, i surrender. As I will never be able to make you see why one guy seems to get all the luck, and the other continues to come up just a tad short.

• Fuck You 6

3 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Obviously more times then you, Or you too would be aware of just how different he has become. Urban Meyer was not always what we see today. There was a time he was a far more stoic and confident coach on the sideline. A quality he displayed while brakeing a foot off in Stoops ass for a title. What changed? My guess would be everything from Aaron Hernandez to covering up wife beating. And what happens to many men when they get a part of their lives where they reflect on what they have done, what they have not done, and what they should have done. It’ll happen to you as well.

But then again that wasn’t my point. You don’t get to choose which you would rather have. Herman now has a losing record to his most hated rival. He has lost three times as many games as Riley over the same period, and depending on how today shakes out he may be behind 0-2 on getting his team to the playoffs at a University whose fan base can never seem to quit talking about how much they have. All while suffering year after year at a sport they (we) all love. Honestly, how is Texas not part of the conversation when absolutely no one debates all of the built in advantages they (we) supposedly have?

The pressure on Herman this morning is intense. And it shows. And he had a chance to change the narrative when he beat Riley head to head in October. But then explicitly drops two games, that most of us believe should have been wins against OSU and WV. And the part that is really hard to understand is OSU had OU beat! But they didn’t win, and Riley was cool as hell under that stress. If a part of you can’t find at least some redeeming quality in that, i surrender. As I will never be able to make you see why one guy seems to get all the luck, and the other continues to come up just a tad short.

Wow..... I'll give you credit for being a true Troll and not hiding it.

Riley inherited quite a different situation but I guess Herman gets no credit for a 9 Win Season and appearance in the CCG in Yr 2 when lots of folks projected only 8 Wins.....

• Like 1

Yeah, you're obviously lacking in contextual intelligence or you're massively trolling. You can count on one hand how many times Oklahoma had single digit win seasons since Bob Stoops took over. Saying that Herman is in trouble because he's 1-2 against Oklahoma with one loss to a Heisman winner and the other against a (at the least) finalist after two seasons is nonsense. Lincoln Riley didn't have to rebuild anything. He was already on the staff, the system was in place, and they had years of winning to lean on. Tom Herman inherited a pile of shit and has turned it into a shining pile of shit. He's done well and you should probably take a nap. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wow..... I'll give you credit for being a true Troll and not hiding it.

Riley inherited quite a different situation but I guess Herman gets no credit for a 9 Win Season and appearance in the CCG in Yr 2 when lots of folks projected only 8 Wins.....

Of course Riley inherited a better situation. And? I never said he didn’t. But I sure as fuck would argue that he took a aggy reject and turned him into a fucking Heisman candidate. That is coaching bubba, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. And he moved quickly when he had to dump the baggage of his predecessor in Mike Stoops. And if what we saw yesterday is any indication, those fuckers are getting better.

And what does “getting credit” even mean? You do understand that coaching is a results based occupation, don’t you? You don’t become part of the top 5% of earning occupations by getting better. You turn it around, now. If we lose the bowl game we will basically have lost as many games as we did last year. That is not much of anything to write home about.

It has been 10 years since the University of Texas won what many on this site call a shitty conference. 10 years is a long dam time. Herman is in year two of a five year contract. He still has time, the question CDC will have is asking if Herman is on schedule. It doesn’t matter what I think.

• Fuck You 5

37 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

tl;dr

33 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Of course Riley inherited a better situation. And? I never said he didn’t. But I sure as fuck would argue that he took a aggy reject and turned him into a fucking Heisman candidate. That is coaching bubba, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. And he moved quickly when he had to dump the baggage of his predecessor in Mike Stoops. And if what we saw yesterday is any indication, those fuckers are getting better.

And what does “getting credit” even mean? You do understand that coaching is a results based occupation, don’t you? You don’t become part of the top 5% of earning occupations by getting better. You turn it around, now. If we lose the bowl game we will basically have lost as many games as we did last year. That is not much of anything to write home about.

It has been 10 years since the University of Texas won what many on this site call a shitty conference. 10 years is a long dam time. Herman is in year two of a five year contract. He still has time, the question CDC will have is asking if Herman is on schedule. It doesn’t matter what I think.

Not your "bubba".... 

Calling Kyler an "aggy reject" shows your lack of Football knowledge.  Kyler sat for 2 years at BlowU and trained under LR while watching Baker win a Heisman so of course Kyler was better at BlowU than he was at A&M.   Isn't it crazy to see how much Ehlinger has improved in his 2nd year being coached by Herman??  WOW!!!

Riley should have fired Mike Stoops in off-season and BlowU could have hired a real DC instead of Lincoln Riley's choice of McDonald's Grimace.....

Riley coached poorly late vs Jaw-ja last year blowing his 1st shot at a Natty that Bob Stoops gifted him.  Now with Grimace, Riley will blow a 2nd shot for a Natty at BlowU.

So I guess using your logic, Riley is underperforming and the pressure will now be using your words "intense" for Lincoln in Year 3....

Here's a pic for some laughs.....

GRIMACE

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Not your "bubba".... 

Calling Kyler an "aggy reject" shows your lack of Football knowledge.  Kyler sat for 2 years at BlowU and trained under LR while watching Baker win a Heisman so of course Kyle's was better than he was at A&M.   Isn't it crazy to see how much Ehlinger has improved in his 2nd year being coached by Herman??  WOW!!!

Riley should have fired Mike Stoops in off-season and BlowU could have hired a real DC instead of Lincoln Riley's choice of McDonald's Grimace.....

Riley coached poorly late vs Jaw-ja last year blowing his 1st shot at a Natty that Bob Stoops gifted him.  Now with Grimace, Riley will blow a 2nd shot for a Natty at BlowU.

So I guess using your logic, Riley is underperforming and the pressure will now be using your words "intense" for Lincoln in Year 3....

Here's a pic for some laughs.....

GRIMACE

giphy.gif

You win man. Thanks.

I still like Herman and love this team. Performed way over my expectations and are trending in the right direction. Simply had too many penalties for a game like this, with a team full of players who had never played in a game like this. Sam will be more prepared next year and calmer at jump so we hit those wide open routes rather than overthrowing. 

I'm bummed, but not nearly as much as I have been in years.. I'm more bummed for the players because they worked their ass off this year. 

Next year we beat OU at RRS and we beat them again if we match up in the Big 12 Championship.. book it and fuck OU. 

I don't get why the fuck so many posters have become obsessed with over analyzing the living shit out of every little detail of Tom Herman's expressions, emotions, mannerisms, etc.

Is he covering up rape/domestic abuse cases? No.

Is he engaging in questionable recruiting practices? No.

Is he, in any way, degrading the face of the University? No.

Who gives a shit?

We're 9-4, played for the conference title, and are Sugar Bowl bound in year 2. Anyone looking at our current talent level objectively will tell you that we overachieved. If anything, it's his recruiting/seeking out of transfers that we need to examine. Wait until he gets another recruiting class in and has the opportunity to eliminate these glaring roster deficiencies. Then you can try to tell me how the way he reacts to Big12 ref rigging special #234524 may POTENTIALLY affect his ability to manage a football game.

• Like 3