Android Thread

just noticed that CCSWE App Manager does not include the KNOX system apps.  i had previously frozen them those via another program.  i wonder if the KNOX apps are still disabled.

but if you want to disable system updates, disable any anything that remotely looks like an system update apk.

Well, while whatever the guy did seemed to help temporarily, it's still disconnecting from the network for extended periods of time.  I wonder if it could be the SIM card.

Also, it seems that the restarts may have something to do with trying to use the phone when disconnected.  For example, if the bars are greyed out and I try to make a call, it will hang on trying to dial the call and eventually restart itself. But the entire phone doesn't hang, just the dialer app.  I suspect that my problems with using the trail tracker app had to do with trying to get it to get a GPS fix while in this disconnected state.

In any event, for better or worse, I buy equipment protection.  I'm familiar with paying a deductible for a lost or broken phone, but you can start a "claim" with Asurion based on malfunction.  Instead of sending a "new" one, they send you to a repair center store where they try to fix it or give you a "new" one.  It appears that replacement this way does not require payment of a deductible.  I guess I knew this because I had a GS2 replaced several times because of a broken microUSB port without paying deductible.

Edited by TwiceHorn

So I took it in to a Sprint store for "repair."  They didn't offer any options except get a new SIM card, which they didn't have.  I got one coming tomorrow.

Also, the tech apparently suggested that having Nova Launcher may have corrupted something.  JFC GMAFB.

Does this sound like a SIM issue?  Right now SIM CARD STATUS is n/a across the board.

It's fucked.  Crazy thing, Google Maps doesn't indicate GPS problems, but every other app does, including the weather widget.  Maybe GMaps gets by on wifi/wireless data.  It disconnects from the network, and restarts with alarming frequency.

If I do get a free replacement when the new SIM card fails, I guess that's the way to go.  If I have to pay a 200 deductible, it gets a little dicey.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Wait. So what happened? The tech dude thought Nova corrupted a file? The fuck? I've had Nova since 2011 on 6 phones. It's never caused any problems.

Depends on how much you want to terrible shoot but you can Odin/reflash the stock OS. Is the flashing headache worth saving $200? Your security update may have been corrupted so even on reset, it's a corrupted file. Otherwise it's a hardware issue which is odd. Bad battery could explain the reboots but not the Google maps disconnects. Sounds like an antenna or motherboard issue.

• Like 1

No, the sprint store was essentially no help.  Said try a new SIM, which was reasonable, but they didn't have any.  So I ordered one, it's worse than it was before.  It's now an ipod.

The most cost effective thing is to buy a G7 for the cost of a refurb, cancel the stupid insurance at Sprint and just go naked on $200 fones from here on.

I don't have a windows machine and I'm sick of fucking with it, although trying a reflash might be cost effective.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s8/how-to/recovery-g955usqs2bql1-galaxy-s8-sm-t3743560

i "think" the sprint s8 updated from android 8 to android 9, with that should've maybe come a new bootloader.  not sure if the file/os that is in the first post is still doable.  i would do some reading on where you can get the latest or earlier OS versions. might want to downgrade (if possible) to previous version before all this shit happened.  if you have an s8+ "search for sprint s8+ odin".  you'll most likely get pertinent xda links.

again this will probably take 30-45 mins of reading and finding the right files and installing on whatever laptop you want to use.  then'll it'll prob take another 15-30 minutes to flash the file.  and you might brick the device.  but shit, you can't really break it more than it already is unless you really want an ipod.

• Like 1

Yeah I used to do that shit on the regular.  Haven't in quite a few years.  I guess here in my older age, I find myself not giving a fuck about the latest and greatest.  There's still some geeky youth that makes me want to have the best, but I've about beaten him into submission.

Thanks for all your help. 

Hope the G7 goes on the Sprint network nicely.  I have a fresh SIM card for it, apparently.  Also, Asurion offers 2 years of protection for 50 something bucks and a 49 deductible.  Not sure whether to consider that or just upgrade to the latest greatest $200 fone if I lose or break the G7.

Haha fucking thing just rebooted again into zero bars.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 9/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, HoustonHorn said:

My Pixel 3 is the biggest piece of shit phone I've owned and I've had nothing but Android phones.

Terrible connectivity with basically anything.

Google thinks they know how i should operate the phone, so constant suggestions and annoying shit and I'm constantly dealing with that shit.

Touch sensor to open the phone is garbage compared to LG and Samsung.

Battery sucks. If my phone shows 30% i probably have 5 minutes to plug it in before it shuts down. Literally goes from 30% to off in 5 minutes.

There's a lot of other things, but I've had this for a year and Google didn't offer a one year plan so I'm going to eat half the cost of the phone to get rid of this piece of shit.

Good camera with an awesome night mode. Truly amazing. Not worth the rest of it.

I didn't really like my LG V30 but it's twice the phone this Pixel 3 is.

Just saw this. Guess I'll stick with my Pixel 2 until it dies.

So there seems to be an off chance that Asurion fixes my S8 for free.  Worst case, it's 115.

Looks like they're going for around 200 on swappa, so I am going to send it in and see what happens.

I don't see any point in keeping it and I don't trust it anymore.

The G7 is missing some things, stupid things that I never used (pulse sensor), and wireless charging, but I'm pretty impressed with it as a 200 phone and a way to get off the leasing/insurance/thousand-dollar-phone merry-go-round.  And I feel free to change carriers if needed.

The one curious thing about it, is it has no LEDs on the front face. Not sure I gaf about that, but it's weird.

The only thing I can't quite figure is whether to buy "insurance" for this G7.  It's like 33 bucks for damage/repair replacement or 50 to include loss/theft.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Getting ready to retire my Nexus 6P, and thinking Galaxy 10, New Pixel 4 (next week), or the Pixel 3.

Anyone have experience with the OnePlus stuff? The 7 Pro is on my list as well.

Ok- I figured out how to use the "search" function here, and looked at previous comments/thoughts.

Anyone that's been using the 1+7Pro for a few months have an update or insight.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I think if I have to pay a deductible, I'm going to get a motorola g7 and get still a little closer to getting off this bullshit merry go round.

Just bought a G7 about three weeks ago. Love love LOVE it.  Can't understand why people pay 1000 bucks for a phone.  Got mine with a steep discount from Best Buy for 149.00. My GF has an Iphone 8 and we think the G7 takes better photos. The videos are exceptional, too.  And I love that it is pretty much pure Android.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Google shit the bed with the new pixels. How do they keep gimping the hardware and battery? Who is the fucking idiot who keeps making these horrible decisions and why isn't he fired yet?

Yeah I am not sure what they are thinking battery wise, but I will wait for reviews. But expecting poor battery life similar to the Pixel 3. 

And the Pixel 4 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. The facial recognition is supposed to be imitate so no big deal when logging in, but there are a lot of apps out that that only use fingerprint for authentication. Also a telephoto lens, but no ultra-wide angle lens.

12 minutes ago, mycox said:

And the Pixel 4 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. The facial recognition is supposed to be imitate so no big deal when logging in, but there are a lot of apps out that that only use fingerprint for authentication. Also a telephoto lens, but no ultra-wide angle lens.

They will likely have it like the iPhone where any app that uses the fingerprint will use the Face Unlock instead. 

25 minutes ago, mycox said:

android used to be about choices.  but oddly enough, the oems are starting to limit choices and decide shit like this for you.  fuck that, give me fucking choices.  let me decide how i want to use and interact with the phone.  headphone jack, different cameras, fingerprint sensor, nfc, all that shit.  if i don't use it, it's my choice.  don't take that choice away.  that's what bugs the shit out of my about apple.  now everyone wants to be like apple.  fucking stupid.

Does anyone else have a problem with links not opening in the apps?  Specifically YouTube.  I've gone to advanced settings and under Open Supported Links 'Open in this app' is selected and always has been.  Yet links will not open in the app.  I've found apps I can install which will take me through a fucking eighteen step process every time I want to open one.  It's not just YT, although it's the most frustrating.  Anyone else have this or is my phone just telling me to fuck off?

5 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Does anyone else have a problem with links not opening in the apps?  Specifically YouTube.  I've gone to advanced settings and under Open Supported Links 'Open in this app' is selected and always has been.  Yet links will not open in the app.  I've found apps I can install which will take me through a fucking eighteen step process every time I want to open one.  It's not just YT, although it's the most frustrating.  Anyone else have this or is my phone just telling me to fuck off?

what phone are you using?  

look under settings/apps/default apps and see if youtube is there.  also see if there is an "opening links" settings and see if youtube app is set to open youtube links.

Welp, Asurion is replacing the phone free of charge.  So I will get a newish S8, 10 days after commencing the claim.

I'm liking this Moto G7 although I can tell it's a cheaper phone in a lot of ways.  Not daily operation for the most part, but the S8 installs things much faster.  I kind of like the pure-ish Android.  Also the visual voicemail app doesn't seem to be 100% working.

If I take the G7 back, I incur a $45 restocking fee.

My current thinking is to sell the S8 on swappa for about $200, which will zero me out, and stick to a steady diet of cheap fones from here on in.

Other thoughts welcome.

Anyone want to buy an S8?

On 10/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, crash_davis said:

Google shit the bed with the new pixels. How do they keep gimping the hardware and battery? Who is the fucking idiot who keeps making these horrible decisions and why isn't he fired yet?

i dunno. each of my google phones have been great. nexus 6, pixel 2 xl so far. will probably grab a pixel 4 xl since they're offering me $258 in discounts.

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Welp, Asurion is replacing the phone free of charge.  So I will get a newish S8, 10 days after commencing the claim.

I'm liking this Moto G7 although I can tell it's a cheaper phone in a lot of ways.  Not daily operation for the most part, but the S8 installs things much faster.  I kind of like the pure-ish Android.  Also the visual voicemail app doesn't seem to be 100% working.

If I take the G7 back, I incur a $45 restocking fee.

My current thinking is to sell the S8 on swappa for about $200, which will zero me out, and stick to a steady diet of cheap fones from here on in.

Other thoughts welcome.

Anyone want to buy an S8?

i would think that the s8 is still better than the g7.  i would do the opposite, keep the s8 and return the g7.  you can still go cheap from now on but after you s8 dies.

however, the s8 will not get more OS updates, it should receive security patches although that's not a guarantee with samsung.  i don't know how moto is with updating os and security updates.  

is there a compelling reason to keep the g7 over the s8?

42 minutes ago, Viper said:

The 4 looks great, I just hate that it doesn't have a fingerprint reader.  Also you have to use the gesture navigation to get the new Google Assistant

the 2800 mAh battery on the pixel 4 is unforgivable for an $800 phone. that's absolutely stupid.

this smartwatch has a 2700 mAh battery. wtf. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110159804.html?albbt=1&isdl=y&aff_short_key=uNb6i2f&aff_platform=true&albslr=220585401&src=UNBOXING&tag1=LEMT

and then the stupid as gesture/radar crap.  it's a gimmick.  i would rather reclaim the extra bezel for screen than use gestures.  samsung has had gestures on their phones since the s4.  no one uses gestures.  and then not having a ultrawide camera is also unforgivable. i saw a stat that the pixel is the only mid or flagship phone in 2019 NOT to have an ultrawide camera.  the pixel phones already have a big ass camera bump area, why not add an ultrawide? and then pulling an apple and taking away the fingerprint reader.  what happened to choices assholes?  they did that shit when they took away the phone jack.  

google, quit trying to be apple.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i would think that the s8 is still better than the g7.  i would do the opposite, keep the s8 and return the g7.  you can still go cheap from now on but after you s8 dies.

however, the s8 will not get more OS updates, it should receive security patches although that's not a guarantee with samsung.  i don't know how moto is with updating os and security updates.  

is there a compelling reason to keep the g7 over the s8?

Just that it's newer and somewhat less likely to croak.  DGAF about security patches as that's what seems to have provoked this.  Moto/Lenovo supposedly is bad about pushing Android updates, but when activating, I got a bunch of monthly security patches.

The S8 that croaked was a year-old refurb after I lost the original on an MTB trail.  I was treating it as dead until I got lucky, apparently, with the repair/replacement for free.

I gotta say, I have used other people's low-end Android phones, mostly Samsung, and they're slow and gimpy.  The G7 sacrifices little or nothing on daily user experience to the S8.  The only way I can tell it has a lame processor is app installs are slower.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just that it's newer and somewhat less likely to croak.  DGAF about security patches as that's what seems to have provoked this.  Moto/Lenovo supposedly is bad about pushing Android updates, but when activating, I got a bunch of monthly security patches.

The S8 that croaked was a year-old refurb after I lost the original on an MTB trail.  I was treating it as dead until I got lucky, apparently, with the repair/replacement for free.

I gotta say, I have used other people's low-end Android phones, mostly Samsung, and they're slow and gimpy.  The G7 sacrifices little or nothing on daily user experience to the S8.  The only way I can tell it has a lame processor is app installs are slower.

i got a oneplus 6t in Jan of this year.  yesterday morning, i woke up, turned it on and my digitizer is dead. screen is unresponsive to any touches. i am back to using my trusted S8 while the 6T warranty gets processed. funny that we have different opinions of the s8.

btw, i was going to say you may want to keep 2 phones.  i would be up shit creek if i didn't have an extra phone. well i do have an old iphone 6s laying around. fuck that!

Well.  Hmm.  The one thing is, if I sell the S8 for $200 or so (I should think this refurb would command the top price for an S8),  then I'm basically even or ahead.  If I take the G7 back, I'm out a restocking fee.  And an activation fee?

But I have an arguably shitty phone.

I do have a little distrust of the Samsung, but I have been on them since the S2 with no problems other than micro USB giving out repeatedly on the S2.

Odd thing.  This moto has almost no moto bloat.  It has a sort of branded launcher that I think is just stock android, and maybe 100MB of Moto apps (particular gestures and stuff) that are removable.  Configured just like the S8 (but using google things for calendar, contacts, gallery etc.) it uses almost the same amount of storage, just a tad less.  It does seem to have more free memory at any given time (Knox and Bixby shit, I assume).

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well.  Hmm.  The one thing is, if I sell the S8 for $200 or so (I should think this refurb would command the top price for an S8),  then I'm basically even or ahead.  If I take the G7 back, I'm out a restocking fee.  And an activation fee?

But I have an arguably shitty phone.

I do have a little distrust of the Samsung, but I have been on them since the S2 with no problems other than micro USB giving out repeatedly on the S2.

Odd thing.  This moto has almost no moto bloat.  It has a sort of branded launcher that I think is just stock android, and maybe 100MB of Moto apps (particular gestures and stuff) that are removable.  Configured just like the S8 (but using google things for calendar, contacts, gallery etc.) it uses almost the same amount of storage, just a tad less.  It does seem to have more free memory at any given time (Knox and Bixby shit, I assume).

like i said earlier, i really like my s8, but i froze all of the bloatware shit. and as you saw, there's a fuckton of it. it's now snappy as hell. and i also do NOT take updates, any updates, towards the end of life of any phone. oems are an evil untrustworthy bunch. sammie is not alone in this. apple did this shit until they were called out for it. i'm sure in 2 years, your moto will suddenly start behaving badly. how else are these assholes supposed to sell new phones?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

The 4 looks great, I just hate that it doesn't have a fingerprint reader.  Also you have to use the gesture navigation to get the new Google Assistant

What do you mean you have to use the gestures for assistant? Can't you just squeeze it or say google to get activate assistant like previous pixels? I would turn off the gestures if possible to save battery. 

yes you can still access assistant by squeezing, talking, etc. However the 4 comes with a new version of assistant that can do some more stuff and quicker because it doesn't rely on data connections to a remote server. My understanding is that if you don't have gesture navigation turned on, you won't have this new assistant, you'll have the old one. 

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/17/new-google-assistant-gesture-navigation-only/

The (somewhat) good news is that Google is working on opening up gesture navigation to work on third party launchers

10 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

What do you mean you have to use the gestures for assistant? Can't you just squeeze it or say google to get activate assistant like previous pixels? I would turn off the gestures if possible to save battery. 

And I suppose you could install Nova Launcher and use the "home button."  Maybe you google-philes don't do that shit.  Nova til I die.

Or not.  I must be a fuddy duddy, but I dgaf about gestures.  

I only really use Google App/Assistant as a news feed on the can or when I have a few minutes to kill.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the 2800 mAh battery on the pixel 4 is unforgivable for an $800 phone. that's absolutely stupid.

this smartwatch has a 2700 mAh battery. wtf. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110159804.html?albbt=1&isdl=y&aff_short_key=uNb6i2f&aff_platform=true&albslr=220585401&src=UNBOXING&tag1=LEMT

and then the stupid as gesture/radar crap.  it's a gimmick.  i would rather reclaim the extra bezel for screen than use gestures.  samsung has had gestures on their phones since the s4.  no one uses gestures.  and then not having a ultrawide camera is also unforgivable. i saw a stat that the pixel is the only mid or flagship phone in 2019 NOT to have an ultrawide camera.  the pixel phones already have a big ass camera bump area, why not add an ultrawide? and then pulling an apple and taking away the fingerprint reader.  what happened to choices assholes?  they did that shit when they took away the phone jack.  

google, quit trying to be apple.  

yes the regular 4 does have a worrying battery size, however he was specifically talking about the 4XL which has a much more adequate battery size at 3,700mAh

One thing about this Moto G7, the screen notifications that come up real time, like incoming phone calls, text messages, etc. are these huge white blocks.  They're super-readable, but less slick looking than the little banners from Samsung.  Is that what Android looks like?  I'm guessing so because the text app is messaging and the dialer is google.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, NWBuck said:

Getting ready to retire my Nexus 6P, and thinking Galaxy 10, New Pixel 4 (next week), or the Pixel 3.

Anyone have experience with the OnePlus stuff? The 7 Pro is on my list as well.

Got a OnePlus 6T early this year.  Love it.  Fast, no bloat wear, haven't had any issues at all.  At this point, when I upgrade, I'll be staying with OnePlus.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I believe HTC is the OEM for the Pixels, or at least they were.  There's a reason HTC is almost dead in the Andrdoid phone space. They suck.

Didn't Alphabet bought/aquihired the design/phone making part of HTC's business about a year ago?