Android Thread

so pixel 4 90Hz display only works if brightness is above 75%; otherwise, it displays at 60Hz.

the fuck? google, why design around a small battery by doing shit like this. put in a larger battery and then there's no need to do stupid shit like this. 

got damned google!

anyone thinking of getting a pixel 4, my advice is to get a oneplus 7 pro or 7t pro. i have a 6t. great light weight os staying very close to stock, reasonably fast updates. great modding/rom community for when oneplus stops supporting the phone. the mediocre camera is easily improved by installing gcam which there's a robust dev community supporting it.  and the hardware is not gimped in anyway.

11 hours ago, crash_davis said:

so pixel 4 90Hz display only works if brightness is above 75%; otherwise, it displays at 60Hz.

the fuck? google, why design around a small battery by doing shit like this. put in a larger battery and then there's no need to do stupid shit like this. 

got damned google!

anyone thinking of getting a pixel 4, my advice is to get a oneplus 7 pro or 7t pro. i have a 6t. great light weight os staying very close to stock, reasonably fast updates. great modding/rom community for when oneplus stops supporting the phone. the mediocre camera is easily improved by installing gcam which there's a robust dev community supporting it.  and the hardware is not gimped in anyway.

Shitty camera is the deal breaker for me. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, mycox said:

And the Pixel 4 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. The facial recognition is supposed to be imitate so no big deal when logging in, but there are a lot of apps out that that only use fingerprint for authentication. Also a telephoto lens, but no ultra-wide angle lens.

i strongly suspect that it's not a telephoto camera, just like with iphones. 

/cameradork

I have been a Samsung fan since the Galaxy S4. Looking to update my S8 and want 5G compatibility. My S8 is the perfect size, and from what I've seen the Galaxy S10 5G looks nice but is very bulky. Does the Oneplus 7 Pro fit in a front pocket easily (no skinny jeans)? I read the Oneplus 7 Pro 5G camera is improved with a software update.

Maybe I'll wait next year for the OnePlus 8 or the Samsung Galaxy S11. Although it sounds like the S11 will be very pricey.

The OnePlus 7 series are approx 6.5"+ so theyre pretty fucking huge.  I'd like them if they were more of 6" class.

S10e looks like the better buy for being reasonable size AND doesnt have the stupid sloping display thats just wasted pixel.

If you have access to the Huawei P30, i think thats pretty cool too.  Not the larger P30 Pro.

here's a review of the Note 10 5G (isn't the S10 5G only available for business?)

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/09/20/we-tested-verizon-5g-on-a-galaxy-note-10-5g-and-yeah-its-pretty-fast/

It's super fast, and gets super hot +102F. It also doesn't work very well around tall buildings or inside.

Here's a Pixel 4 review

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/23/google-pixel-4-review-nope-not-this-one/

to summarize the headers - 

GOOD: 

• Camera
  • Software
  • Hardware and design
  • Availability

Somewhere in the Middle:

• Display
  • Specs
  • MotionSense
  • FaceUnlock

Not so Good:

• Battery
  • All the missed things (fingerprint reader, unlimited original quality photo backup, headphones or dongle)
  • Price

Verdict:

Ummm, I don’t think anyone should buy the regular Pixel 4. There are too many red flags and I’m concerned that this just isn’t a phone that will last you two years. Since it starts at $800, my suggestion would be to pass.

Battery life might be the most important part of a smartphone experience and this phone fails there. There are questions surrounding the 90Hz display experience now, I’m worried that 64GB storage is not going to be enough over a 2-year period, and Google cut some of the important perks and benefits that we expect from not just Pixel phones, but Android phones in general. I don’t see any major benefits to Motion Sense, there’s no fingerprint reader, and there are other phones out there (like those from OnePlus) that can be had that offer more for hundreds of dollars less.

Yes, the camera is excellent. Yes, the software support is the best. But if those are the most important things to you, then buy the Pixel 4 XL, not this.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:13 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Shitty camera is the deal breaker for me. 

bro, do you even gcam?  

seriously gcam gives most android phones pixel like camera without having to own a pixel. look for the apk for your phone.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

arnova versions are the "best" for snapdragon processors. but look at your phones xda section.

i don't ever use my stock camera on my 6t. gcam is so much better.

I really can't speak highly enough of the Moto G7 if you are interested in getting off the 1000 phone merry-go-round.

If you are "looking" for comparison points, yes, you can tell it's not the high end phone.  But if you are just using the damn thing, even power-using, it just works well.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I really can't speak highly enough of the Moto G7 if you are interested in getting off the 1000 phone merry-go-round.

If you are "looking" for comparison points, yes, you can tell it's not the high end phone.  But if you are just using the damn thing, even power-using, it just works well.

gcam for G7. you may want to read/skim the thread. seems to be good reviews of the apps.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g7-power/themes/best-gcam-nokia-7-power-t3930038/page6

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, mycox said:

Looking to update my S8 and want 5G compatibility. 

I wouldn't spend much time thinking about 5g compatibility at this point. 5g will not be prevalent and it's physical limitations will not be worked out during the 2yr life cycle of whatever phone you buy today. You do not want any of the first gen 5g phones out now, lack of true system integration means the hardware is large, power hungry, and awkwardly packaged. The networks are nonexistent, and the basic physics dictates that the current cell tower system cannot support good 5g coverage in areas with buildings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

bro, do you even gcam?  

seriously gcam gives most android phones pixel like camera without having to own a pixel. look for the apk for your phone.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

arnova versions are the "best" for snapdragon processors. but look at your phones xda section.

i don't ever use my stock camera on my 6t. gcam is so much better.

Gcam makes most phone cameras better, but still not as good as the Pixel. I would much rather have the pixel with all its shortcomings over a One Plus device, just my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Gcam makes most phone cameras better, but still not as good as the Pixel. I would much rather have the pixel with all its shortcomings over a One Plus device, just my opinion. 

the difference is nominal at worst. take the test for yourself. in most shots, there's very little difference between the two. it's at the nitpicking level.

6t gcam vs pixel 3.

6t stock cam vs 6t gcam comparison. much bigger difference between stock vs gcam than gcam vs pixel.

the improvement of gcam over stock is tangible and glaring. there are examples of this in most android phones.  if you do not have gcam installed on your android phone, you are missing out. it's an apk that you simply install. there are xml's and other tweaks and version which may be better, but most gcam apks will be an improvement over most android stock cameras.

the below are not my photos. they are photo comparisons found on the net of the 6t stock vs gcam camera apps.

gcam top, stock bottom. look at the dynamic range of the top pic vs the bottom pic

xr3tat8zff031.jpg

stock left, gcam right. way less over exposure, and better dynamic range.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

stock top, gcam bottom

k7znS2r.jpg

IhlE0D8.jpg

Edited by crash_davis

jesus dude, wash your beard

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

gcam top, stock bottom. look at the dynamic range of the top pic vs the bottom pic

xr3tat8zff031.jpg

Jesus dude, wash your beard, maybe pickup some head and sholders

Edited by Viper

On 10/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Viper said:

here's a review of the Note 10 5G (isn't the S10 5G only available for business?)

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/09/20/we-tested-verizon-5g-on-a-galaxy-note-10-5g-and-yeah-its-pretty-fast/

It's super fast, and gets super hot +102F. It also doesn't work very well around tall buildings or inside.

Here's a Pixel 4 review

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/23/google-pixel-4-review-nope-not-this-one/

to summarize the headers - 

GOOD: 

• Camera
  • Software
  • Hardware and design
  • Availability

Somewhere in the Middle:

• Display
  • Specs
  • MotionSense
  • FaceUnlock

Not so Good:

• Battery
  • All the missed things (fingerprint reader, unlimited original quality photo backup, headphones or dongle)
  • Price

Verdict:

If anyone cares, here's their Pixel 4 XL review.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/31/google-pixel-4-xl-review/

basically battery life is up from bad to average. screen is better, brighter.

Otherwise still overpriced

The Verdict

The funniest part of all of this is, I can sit here and tell you how Google royally screwed this device up, but I still love it. The Pixel phone experience is the experience I prefer on smartphones, since all of the Google services that I require work like a charm. What Google did right on the phone they did very well, which for me includes Face Unlock and the overall hardware experience.

Am I disappointed it only has 64GB storage, 6GB RAM, no wide angle lens, and no fingerprint reader? You better believe it, but it still offers everything I need in a phone, which I suppose is average battery life and fantastic still photography. If you need your phone for anything besides that, though, you’re best looking elsewhere in 2019.

Again, for a complete breakdown of the Pixel 4’s camera features and other important details, please read our full-length Pixel 4 review.

Anyone else lose the google voice search bar to google assistant? this shit is not ok and there are a few articles that are months and years old talking about google making the searches go through assistant, but nothing recent i can find. it just happend to mine within the last few hours. i use the voice search all the time and hate the assistant. 

34 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Anyone else lose the google voice search bar to google assistant? this shit is not ok and there are a few articles that are months and years old talking about google making the searches go through assistant, but nothing recent i can find. it just happend to mine within the last few hours. i use the voice search all the time and hate the assistant. 

Do you mean a floating google search bar like on a home screen?

On mine, yeah the mic is gone and it has the dots indicative of bringing up assistant search.  On google app, however, the mic is still there.  Well, scratch that, on app it flops between the two and behavior is similar and assistant-y.

However, I have a "chrome search" widget that's monochrome, just has the mic, and only does searches, no assistant-y crap.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 3 weeks later...

What a cute little fella.

I still can't get my old google voice search. It's in my widgets, I put it on the screen and it immediately turns into google assistant. I've looked and I'm not alone here and it's fucking me up. Can't find a solution.  cocksucker motherfuckers dickbag fuckweasels

Just for reference, I am continuing to enjoy and be impressed by the Moto G7.

One thing that's kind of nice, I have a variety of wall warts and chargers at home, work, car, etc. some of which, namely the car, aren't real high amperage.  For example, it just kept the S8 from discharging fast if it was being used at all.  The G7 actually charges on all of them, even while being used.

I guess thats a product of the 2/3 to 3/4 full strength processor and lower-res screen, and not having NFC (on), etc.  I am finding none of those things matter to me using this phone, at all.

I've searched and can't find anything. Is there any way to keep my phone unlocked while connected to my WIFI at home? The location smart lock doesn't work for crap and the only other way I can think of is to leave it connected to a trusted bluetooth device, but that's not realistic. Or else I can't think of a way that it is. 

you can probably use tasker to do it. Create a rule that disables the lock when you connect to your wifi. Not sure it would be able to automatically enable the lock with the same settings when you disconnect though. Android doesn't offer the Smart Lock option on Wifi because it can be spoofed so easily.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

you can probably use tasker to do it. Create a rule that disables the lock when you connect to your wifi. Not sure it would be able to automatically enable the lock with the same settings when you disconnect though. Android doesn't offer the Smart Lock option on Wifi because it can be spoofed so easily.

Tasker is the answer. I had it set up years ago. You should be able to find Tasker scripts and how tos. 

And Samsung Smart Lock features suck. The Location smart lock never works and the face unlock never works either. I have no issues on my OnePlus 6T.

17 minutes ago, midtown said:
On 11/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, crash_davis said:
It's just an apk that you install.  Just have to find the right one. Not difficult at all.

There was a big security issue with the Google camera. Not sure if it was related to the apk add on or just oem

thanks. i was unaware of the risk until you post made me research.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/11/19/google-confirms-android-camera-security-threat-hundreds-of-millions-of-users-affected/#7044fcf04f4e

it looks like you have to install a malicious app. it looks like google plugged the security with a play store update but i doubt it's made it's way to the gcam port apks. i'm going to keep using gcam. if gcam is used, it would register in app usage so i would see if something were amiss. for me, the reward outweighs the risk. if a hacker wants to wack off to my ugly mug, more power to him.

how often do you upgrade phones? 5G won't be ready for mass adoption till 2021 probably. Tmobile has a more widespread mid-band 5G coming out next year but the speeds are more 4G+ than the millimeter band 5G others are using. Of course millimeter 5G won't go through walls and only reaches about 50 yards or something.

Anyways, if you really want 5G to future proof your phone, wait till next year. Pretty much every flagship should have 5G next year - https://www.droid-life.com/2019/12/05/your-new-phone-in-2020-is-going-to-have-5g-whether-you-are-ready-or-not/. The Snapdragon 865 chipset should cover just about every band that will be used for 5G. I think the ones out now don't have complete band coverage.

Edited by Viper

43 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I really need to upgrade my phone. Should I get a Galaxy S10e or wait until the S11 models come out? I'm not a big fan of the round screen, that's why I'm leaning towards the S10e but I also don't want to be left out when 5G rolls around.

I would wait for the S11 if you can wait. 

IMO there's no reason for 5G on your phone. In everyday normal use, you will never know the difference between 4G/LTE and 5G. Short of hotspot for your laptop, there are no apps which will take advantage of the 5G. The downside is more expensive phones and worse battery life since 5G will be a battery hog.