Android Thread

15 hours ago, crash_davis said:

IMO there's no reason for 5G on your phone. In everyday normal use, you will never know the difference between 4G/LTE and 5G. Short of hotspot for your laptop, there are no apps which will take advantage of the 5G. The downside is more expensive phones and worse battery life since 5G will be a battery hog.

the new qualcomm chipset for 5G requires a separate modem for both 4G and 5G from the main processor chip.  battery life is going to take a hit. 

31 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the new qualcomm chipset for 5G requires a separate modem for both 4G and 5G from the main processor chip.  battery life is going to take a hit. 

4G was the same. it took a few years for the carriers, qualcomm, and the oems to sort out and efficiently perfect 4G performance. i'll eventually upgrade to a 5G phone, but it will be another 2 or 3 years. by then 5G will be ubiquitious, and 5G will filter down to affordable mid-range phones. 

• Like 1

great video on camera phone blind test. he did this last year and the same general theme won out.

i'm not a photography guy. however, i do consider myself an audiophile guy. clarity and brightness for photography are like bass for everyday music listeners. it seems that they are the main, maybe the only, criteria for judgement.

it appears that mostly only photographers and photography enthusiast care about color, depth, focus, dynamic range, etc. every day people just want brighter, clearer photos. screw artistry and sensor size. in music, mostly only audiophiles care about balanced, neutral sound with even highs, mids and low/bass ranges. every day people think the more bass, the better SQ and the respective equipment. i can't stand uneven sound, from overly bassy beats/sony headphones stuff to insufferable highs of klipsch loudspeakers. but there are a millions of people who love beats and klipsch.

so in summary, it doesn't matter what the critics say about phone cameras. most people have no idea or care what makes a "great" camera. i include myself in that category. so whatever phone you have, the camera is most probably great enough for your liking and needs.

• 3 months later...

I finally figured out why people were bitching about the "notch" in the pixel 3XL (and maybe other pixels). I did my first video call with it and it cuts off heads. It never bothered me for other stuff, but that kind of sucked. 

Not sure if there is any work around. I can't see how there is. It's not part of the screen. I was using Google Duo. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yo, I need a phone carrier free, I'm with Mint now, (tmobile towers i think).  

Can someone please recommend me a new phone in the 300-400 dollar range? Thanks!

I'm seeing

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-3a-64gb-unlocked-just-black/6347785.p?skuId=6347785

Can someone tell me if I buy that, can I put my mint card in it?

Anyone have any other suggestions for that price range?  Thanks!

16 hours ago, midtown said:

One plus 6 or 6t is in your price range. Should work on mint.

+1. I have this phone. Great phone. I'm not upgrading for forever. Only complaint was the camera but with GCAM, it's damn near perfect.

I used to have Samsung but they put way too much shit on their phones.

10 minutes ago, mycox said:

I got a unlocked S20 from Samsung. There isn't any bloatware at all. Amazing battery life.

when you don't want or use 3/4th of all the samsung apps, they are bloatware. you can "freeze" apps that you don't want but there will be about 50+ apps to be frozen. the last time i froze the samsung apps on my phone s9, i froze 70+ apks. that shit is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

they finally put wireless charging in, so I'll probably try one out after the price drops

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Wireless charging a finally a decent camera, nice to see!

not just wireless charging but warp wireless charging. i'd get it be it's too big for my liking, said my girlfriend never.

• 2 weeks later...

this may be a longshot: any way to silent notifications from a particular app for a short period of time after a notification from that app comes through?  trying to cut down on all the dings from messaging when a convo really gets going.  the first ding is sufficient, i don't need the next ___ over the next __ minutes.  i don't want to mute it entirely because i do want that first ding. 

i don't think there's anything available on the OS itself. It would have to be app specific. for example Google Mail is the only app that I know that allows you to limit notifications to the first notification only, any subsequent email is silenced. google messages does not have this feature.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, crash_davis said:

IMO there's no reason for 5G on your phone. In everyday normal use, you will never know the difference between 4G/LTE and 5G. Short of hotspot for your laptop, there are no apps which will take advantage of the 5G. The downside is more expensive phones and worse battery life since 5G will be a battery hog.

5G sucks, at least for Tmobile and my phone. Switched to 4G/LTE, will say that 5G wasn't a battery hog when I used it, just wasn't all that great. 

What the fuck is up with chrome? I read reports of it crashing, I can't even update the thing. Disabled it and reinstall,  still sucks. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, rtw21 said:

What should I expect to pay for a new S20?

there should be good deals in July.  you are always going to get the best 'price' on a phone if you switch carriers.  Carriers offer the best deals to get new blood on their network.  They don't care so much about existing customers, but will less frequently offer upgrade promotions which do not require a new data plan.  Those are the best times to upgrade your phone with your existing carrier.

for an unlocked phone, just shop around for the lowest price. with carriers,  the price will normally be close to the MSRP for current gen of phone.  they make most of their nut from data plans and are not really interested in the small margin from reselling a phone with no plan attached. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

For purchasing phones, you can buy pre-owned, via carrier, or unlocked via merchant.

For pre-owned, as Viper said, Swappa is going to be your "best" option. You may not always get the lowest price, but you'll have some guarantee that the phone is real and feedback from seller.

For Carrier and unlocked via online merchants, check and subscribe to slickdeals. That is a great site for crowd sourcing of deals.

here's the query for S20. Looks like VZ may have a dea.

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=s20&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

Lastly, make sure the phone you're buying is optimal for your carrier network. Most carriers are using older GSM and CDMA tech for rural bands. They also are using specific bands for LTE, for example TMobile's band 71. Phones in the US are still somewhat optimized for different carriers. Lastly do not buy International versions for us in the US. Int'l phones will have most of the spectrum but will not have many of the LTE bands of the US carrier. In summary, Int'l phones will work, it just won't be optimal for coverage and/or speed.

• Like 2

So, my moto G7 finally got Android 10.  With Nova Launcher, I see nearly zero difference.

Anything I should be taking advantage of?

I'm still quite pleased with the G7.  Somewhat surprisingly, 10 seemed to speed it up a little and takes up less space, slightly, than 9.

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, my moto G7 finally got Android 10.  With Nova Launcher, I see nearly zero difference.

Anything I should be taking advantage of?

I'm still quite pleased with the G7.  Somewhat surprisingly, 10 seemed to speed it up a little and takes up less space, slightly, than 9.

dark theme is probably the biggest. makes it much easier on the eyes at night and morning. also saves a little batter with oled screens. also gesture navigation but I can't remember if that was introduced in 10 or just improved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

dark theme is probably the biggest. makes it much easier on the eyes at night and morning. also saves a little batter with oled screens. also gesture navigation but I can't remember if that was introduced in 10 or just improved.

I'm a fan of the blue light reduction thing, for sure.  Not sure how down I am for the dark mode.

I believe gesture navigation existed previously, maybe it had more to do with the launcher.  I tried it and didn't like it.  But I am an old dog.

AT&T stores are run by fucking idiots. They wouldn't allow me to purchase a phone by paying in full. I had to make "installment payments" by dropping half of the amount today and paying the rest in 30 days. I want to pay full price now, not later. They wouldn't do it! Bunch of fucking idiots.

AT&T stores are run by fucking idiots. They wouldn't allow me to purchase a phone by paying in full. I had to make "installment payments" by dropping half of the amount today and paying the rest in 30 days. I want to pay full price now, not later. They wouldn't do it! Bunch of fucking idiots.
They're completely incompetent. I switched to Google Fi after they pissed me off one day trying to get a simple sim card.

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Carriers push their salespeople to sell plans. Plans keep people on carriers network for the duration of the plan. Reduces customer churn. Salespeople make commission on plans, They don't make jack shit on one time full price device sales.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, HRSchenker said:

I purchased latest phone directly from Samsung for that reason.  Every time I get something directly from AT&T, I have to call or go back a month later to have something removed.  The helpful customer service person added insurance and some other damn thing when we got my wife a new iphone to the tune of $15-20 extra per month. 

One big tradeoff with buying unlocked phones versus Carrier phones is updates. For whatever reason, carrier phones received updates much faster and regularly than unlocked phones. Of course this only applies to non-Google Android phones. Apple and Google manages their own updates.

19 hours ago, crash_davis said:

One big tradeoff with buying unlocked phones versus Carrier phones is updates. For whatever reason, carrier phones received updates much faster and regularly than unlocked phones. Of course this only applies to non-Google Android phones. Apple and Google manages their own updates.

Kind of depends, Samsung unlocked phones now receive updates before the carrier phones, at least they have this year. In previous years it was after. S20 unlocked phones have received the monthly updates same time as Pixels, long before the carrier versions have. 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:12 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, HRSchenker said:

They're completely incompetent. I switched to Google Fi after they pissed me off one day trying to get a simple sim card.

bought a 4xl for half off back in december, and i ended up getting $200 via ebay for my 2xl. monthly fi bill is around $30. if you keep an eye on the deals later in the year, you might get lucky.

i don't know why so many hated the 4xl when it came out, but it has been a great device.

34 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

motorola xt1962-1

After the screenshot, I'll try to use the cropping tool and that's when it's brought up.

it's called a moto g7. I haven't used one, but it doesn't seem like Lens comes up automatically. http://motorola-mobility-en-xp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136100 are you pressing the lens button? I'm not sure how useful it would be with a screen shot but it's great when using the camera. Can find out what something is that you see, or copy text you see on a sign/box/etc.

13 minutes ago, The University said:

bought a 4xl for half off back in december, and i ended up getting $200 via ebay for my 2xl. monthly fi bill is around $30. if you keep an eye on the deals later in the year, you might get lucky.

i don't know why so many hated the 4xl when it came out, but it has been a great device.

they hated the 4 because it has sucky battery. the 4XL was a good phone, especially once they worked out the screen refresh rate issue.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

it's called a moto g7. I haven't used one, but it doesn't seem like Lens comes up automatically. http://motorola-mobility-en-xp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136100 are you pressing the lens button? I'm not sure how useful it would be with a screen shot but it's great when using the camera. Can find out what something is that you see, or copy text you see on a sign/box/etc.

they hated the 4 because it has sucky battery. the 4XL was a good phone, especially once they worked out the screen refresh rate issue.

This automatically comes up when I click the crop feature. I cant even take the screenshot and then go to pictures then edit using the cropping feature there. It's tied directly to the cropping tool it seems. 

spacer.png

I think I have your solution. @workswithseed

On the little menu that pops when you take a screenshot, there is no crop tool.  There is a Lens button.  I think you are pushing that and not the actual crop tool.

If you make the screenshot full size, there is the crop tool on the left.  The crop tool icon looks a bit like the lens icon.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I have your solution. @workswithseed

On the little menu that pops when you take a screenshot, there is no crop tool.  There is a Lens button.  I think you are pushing that and not the actual crop tool.

If you make the screenshot full size, there is the crop tool on the left.  The crop tool icon looks a bit like the lens icon.

I actually just found out exactly what to do. There is a pen icon which is on the top of the bar that it gives you. That is your edit tool to crop and all that other junk. Yeah, the crop and lens look almost the same as well, I just figured that it was the new crop icon.