Android Thread

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I have your solution. @workswithseed

On the little menu that pops when you take a screenshot, there is no crop tool.  There is a Lens button.  I think you are pushing that and not the actual crop tool.

If you make the screenshot full size, there is the crop tool on the left.  The crop tool icon looks a bit like the lens icon.

thanks, this is kind of what I thought was happening.

I broke my screen on my Samsung 8plus and I'm trying to decide wether to replace the screen for $250 or bit the bullet and buy a new phone.  Anyone have experience with replacing a Samsung screen and were you satisfied?  I'm toying with the idea of maybe trying an older Oneplus for $500 or so as well.  Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

I broke my screen on my Samsung 8plus and I'm trying to decide wether to replace the screen for $250 or bit the bullet and buy a new phone.  Anyone have experience with replacing a Samsung screen and were you satisfied?  I'm toying with the idea of maybe trying an older Oneplus for $500 or so as well.  Thoughts?

I might suggest that the GS8 is ending its useful life.  So probably anything is a better investment than that $250.

I'm now an advocate for midrange phones.  You can buy a perfectly serviceable new phone for that $250.  I don't miss anything about my S8.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might suggest that the GS8 is ending its useful life.  So probably anything is a better investment than that $250.

I'm now an advocate for midrange phones.  You can buy a perfectly serviceable new phone for that $250.  I don't miss anything about my S8.

Thanks for the insight Twice.  Any favorites out there right now in that midrange?  I have always been the sucker for the newest phone but I'm up for dropping down  a level and not wasting that $.

2 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Thanks for the insight Twice.  Any favorites out there right now in that midrange?  I have always been the sucker for the newest phone but I'm up for dropping down  a level and not wasting that $.

I have always bought top end phones, athough I have kept them for more than two years, usually.  My S8 took a shit and in sort of an emergency picked up a Moto G7.

It has a serviceable camera, kind of a 2/3-3/4 Snapdragon processor and 64G of storage plus SD and I got it for 200 bucks.  Notably, it lacks wireless charging and NFC, so if you make use of those, you're out of luck. It has a comparatively low-res screen, but completely adequate.  Other than that, I don't find it giving up much to the S8, which is what three-four years old now?  So, it is probably giving up stuff to the S10 and 20 and the latest other things, but I'm ignorant of all that.  And happy.  And not paying through the nose.

I managed to score the S8 direct from Samsung for 450 bucks, and paid it out over two years, no interest.  I couldn't find a deal like that on anything "new," so I said fuck it.  I ain't payin $800-1000 for a fucking phone and I'm not getting on that lease bullshit merry go round either.

6 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

I've had a Pixel2 since release (so maybe 3.5 years).  It's still rock solid.  You can get refurbs of the 64 gb model on Amazon for $170, which gets you a 90 day warranty.  I think they're getting updates for another year or two.  My kids are still rocking the Pixel 1.  No more updates, but perfectly serviceable phone for a kid.  $92 on Amazon.

I've had a Pixel2 since release (so maybe 3.5 years).  It's still rock solid.  You can get refurbs of the 64 gb model on Amazon for $170, which gets you a 90 day warranty.  I think they're getting updates for another year or two.  My kids are still rocking the Pixel 1.  No more updates, but perfectly serviceable phone for a kid.  $92 on Amazon.
How's your battery? Mine is shit.

20 hours ago, Viper said:

Try looking at a used oneplus 7t or 7 pro. $250 will also get you a used pixel 3a xl

I think I'm going to try and find a oneplus 7 pro and give it a shot.  As well, I'm going to move over to Visible to save a few bucks on cell service.  I will write back on how it goes.

9 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Will it come out in the USA?  I thought I had read no.  If it does and it's sub $500, that may be the way to go.

Shit.  You are probably right.  I have just been reading the headlines and not the whole article.  

10 hours ago, Viper said:

It's not. It will probably work here but not optimally. It won't have all the LTE bands. 

Supposedly not at first but eventually the plan is to roll out the Nord to the US with the appropriate bands. I'm sure they are delaying as to not cannibalize the 8 sales. Not sure when that roll out is going to happen.

This really is an India first phone set to combat the Iphone SE. OP is huge in India. They want to do everything they can to keep and grown their marketshare.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, dcbc said:

Still getting through the day without a charge.  Not quite like it used to be, but not bad given its age.  I attribute that in part to never hooking it up to a car charger if I can help it.

I'm pretty sure 99% of all phones are made in China. In fact, I'm sure a vast majority of all electronics are manufactured in China. Are you willing to throw away any electronics made in China? And do you care that the US gubment is also spying on you? Or that most of the apps are also spying on you? Most apps have APIs into Facebook. Facebook is spying on you even if you don't have Facebook account. Same with Google. 

Where do you draw the line?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm pretty sure 99% of all phones are made in China. In fact, I'm sure a vast majority of all electronics are manufactured in China. Are you willing to throw away any electronics made in China? And do you care that the US gubment is also spying on you? Or that most of the apps are also spying on you? Most apps have APIs into Facebook. Facebook is spying on you even if you don't have Facebook account. Same with Google. 

tiktok

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, dcbc said:

mine seems to be going down hill.  i charge it twice at day most days.  but i don't charge it over 90% (have an alarm) and don't really take it below 30% very often.  but i don't think i used to charge it twice a day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

mine seems to be going down hill.  i charge it twice at day most days.  but i don't charge it over 90% (have an alarm) and don't really take it below 30% very often.  but i don't think i used to charge it twice a day. 

Just depends on the day.  Most days, I'll juice mine up when I'm home for lunch.  I did that today and I'm at 70% as of 4:15 p.m. with normal usage.  It's not at the point where I'm thinking it's time for a new battery or a new phone compared to what my last phone was doing when I bought this one. 

• Like 1

Got an email that the OnePlus 7 Pro's were in stock today from the manufacturer.  I took the plunge and bought one.  As well, I ordered a Visible SIM card and I'm going to throw that in it when it arrives and see how the service is.  I'm excited to see how the new package works out!!

On 7/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, Nonbryan said:

I've got an 8+ I'd sell you for next to nothing that is in great shape if you're AT&T.

Edited by Deej

Unboxed and set up this OnePlus 7 pro  and I'm impressed with it so far.  It looks and feels VERY similar to my Samsung.  I may have found a good midrange option here!  I thriew an Alinsea liquid glass cover on it to protect it and it looks sharp.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:39 AM, crash_davis said:

a lot of it depends on the market they are sold into.  for instance, Samsung phones sold into NA generally are mfg in S. Korea or Vietnam.  you go down to the component level and it would be damn hard to not use anything made in China.

It's definitely no flagship, but I'm not into things like that like I used to be. I'm in it for the camera, fingerprint reader, headphone jack, pure Android with regular updates, and of course the price. Wireless charging would be nice and I always liked the aluminum case on my Pixel 2, but I'll get over it.

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

they finally moved away from the 2013 phone design on the "a" and went with bezeless screen. that and the gimpy ass battery always kept me from the "a". finally may pull the trigger but waiting on the high end pixel to see if they finally got their shit together.

High end Pixel seems done, the Pixel 5 is using a mid range chip supposedly. Think they are shooting for mid range now. 

On 8/3/2020 at 9:55 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

High end Pixel seems done, the Pixel 5 is using a mid range chip supposedly. Think they are shooting for mid range now. 

They need focus on the shit people care about (bigger battery, shit not breaking/quality assurance, nice screen, great camera, unified clean OS) and quit doing shit that are gimmicky as fuck (squeezing shit and hand gestures). Amazingly enough they've managed to fuck this up over and over again.

Here's to this year finally getting it right.

but I like the squeezing shit.

the mid range chip for the 5 is actually an upper mid range and should be just fine. you just probably won't want to play fortnite on it a lot.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/10/the-pixel-5-might-have-a-lower-end-chipset-but-were-not-worried-and-heres-why/

the battery life on the 4a will supposedly go 2 days with light use.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/09/my-google-pixel-4a-battery-life-impressions-after-two-weeks-using-the-phone/

hopefully it's similar with the 5.

So my galaxy 8 screen started doing some fun flashing stuff. Haven't looked into a new phone in a bit.

Quick googling suggests the Pixel 4a is best for the price, Pixel 4 has best camera and better battery, some phone called One Plus is getting good reviews with the Samsung phones a distant 4th on most lists.

Reading above there is talk about Pixel 5

What to do?

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

So my galaxy 8 screen started doing some fun flashing stuff. Haven't looked into a new phone in a bit.

Quick googling suggests the Pixel 4a is best for the price, Pixel 4 has best camera and better battery, some phone called One Plus is getting good reviews with the Samsung phones a distant 4th on most lists.

Reading above there is talk about Pixel 5

What to do?

Depends. What OnePlus phones are you looking at? There are deals but most are >$400 new. The Pixel 4a is only $350. I love the size of the 4a. The OnePlus phones are larger. Sammie is ok but they really started going overboard putting ads on the OneUI shit. FUCK THAT. You can stop the adds if you are willing to put a little time learning ADB commands.

My vote is the 4a. If you want a larger screen then see what deals you can find with the Oneplus 7T, 7 Pro, or used 6T. They should be <$450.

Also depends on your carrier. OnePlus phones don't always play nice on Verizon and AT&T. Also buying "unlocked" OnePlus TMobile or Sprint phones may lead to issues if using on VZ or ATT.

Much appreciated guys. I'm on Verizon so always a question with buying a phone outside of their environment. It appears that most of the top end phones really aren't worth the 1k you end up paying.

Honestly I'm more apt to purchase a google phone unless there is some absolute reason to get the OnePlus. I don't play games nearly as much anymore on my phone so the larger screen isn't a big deal. I do use my phone for photos, so I guess if the OnePlus similar to the 4a has an amazing camera I would do it.

I have a OnePlus 6T. I love this phone. I was always looking for a reason to buy a Pixel but Google always manage to fuck up the hardware namely gimping the shit out of the battery. Looks like they finally got their shit together with the 4a. I'll be using the 6T until it dies but my next phone will be a Pixel. Sammies are ok but they are way too proud of their prices. Fuck me, there's no reason to pay $1000 for a phone anymore. This goes for Iphones too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Flagship phones jumped the shark when prices hit $1000. Sub $500 phones are so much better value. There's no reason to have the flagship chipset anymore. Is that fraction of a second that important? It's a phone, the use cases are not going to change. Surfing, texting, taking a few pictures, and calls are pretty much what 95% of people do. Only reason to get flagship phones is for heavy 3D gaming which I think most of us are way too old for now.

I'm never again buying another phone over $500. No need to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

the pixel 5 is supposed to be cheaper, guessing around $700, so depending on how badly you need a phone now, it may be worth it to wait a few months. They are usually released in Oct/Nov.

Ok so this feels like a good time to wait and let the Pixel 5 happen, see how it is received and if anything it might drop the 4a's price. And what is the OnePlus Nord?

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

basically OnePlus's midrange phone. only available in India for now, supposed to be coming to the states eventually.

You can't go wrong with either phone. Let me caveat that and say that depends on what OnePlus does with the next iteration of their OS, Oxygen. One of the biggest selling points is that Oxygen OS is amazing. Barebones like Pixels and some say even better and faster. However, OP is set to change Oxygen OS to be more like Sammie's OneUI which is a bit bloated compared to present Oxygen OS and Pixels. Also OnePlus started adding bloat which they never did before by adding Facebook apps on their phones. You can delete using ADB commands but it's a sign that they've lost their way.

Anyway, here's a vid on Nord vs 4a. I really comes do to what size you want and how important is the camera? Do you want best in class or just ok? Although GCam on the Nord should drastically improve the camera. It did on my 6T.

• Hook 'Em 1