Android Thread

as far as innovation and new shit, android reached peak update 3 or 4 years ago.  apple is still rolling out and yet to roll out shit that's been on android for years.  

all new updates will be for security, efficiency, cosmetics, and to advance treble.

think of computer os's.  when was the last good innovation?  this where phone os's are. 

my wife has the newest XL and i have the 2nd to newest XL, what notch are you guys talking about?

i updated to 9.0 yest.  i'm liking the constant brightness adjustment.  this is supposed to be an update that helps with battery conservation so i wonder if i'll notice any other differences in performance.

i got 9 yesterday on my pixel 2.  so far don't like the horizontal card deck for switching apps.  way too much scrolling compared to the vertical stack.  just downloaded the digital health beta.  haven't had it long enough to see if battery life is better.  i'm very interested in the auto brightness because it really sucked previously (far too aggressive while walking the dog - passing under a lamp on the walking path caused it to ramp way up and then it'd get really dim when back in the dark). 

20 hours ago, Okie State said:

I actually like the horizontal cards. Harkens back to WebOS on my old Palm Pre 2. That OS was ahead of its time.

my first thought was 'hey, webOS card system that everyone seemed to like'

9 has killed my notifications from At Bat and Slickdeals apps.  notifications are on in the apps and in the OS control panel.  still no notifications.  not that i want to know how bad the astros are losing right now anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Once you use minimal-bezel phones, i have to tell you its hard to go back.  

Large top and bottom bezels look so prehistoric.

Agreed on the side edge problems.  However, most phones today are used with cases so it's not an issue.  

And generally I hate cases, but on phones with protruding cameras (another unfortunate trend), it's almost mandatory

The Oneplus 6T is looking like an amazing phone. The retail box shows that it will have a fingerprint sensor under the screen.

OnePlus-6T.jpg

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/04/its-going-to-be-hard-to-say-no-to-the-oneplus-6t/

Be-the-OnePlus-6T-1-980x637.jpg

Before I’ve ever seen the OnePlus 6T, I know that it’ll probably look a lot like this. I’m assuming it’ll have a Snapdragon 845 processor, 6GB or 8GB RAM, 128 to 512GB of storage, some form of dual cameras, a sleek glass and metal body, super fast charging, and OnePlus’ really smooth performing OyxgenOS software that they continue to update regularly. It could launch with Android Pie too. My guess is that the base price will jump up by $20-$30 over the OnePlus 6, which would put it at around $549 or $559. It’ll ship in black, but also in another super sharp color with promises of limited editions along the way.

I could consider this over the Pixel 3. It will depend on how well the fingerprint reader works and how the camera and screen perform.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

The Oneplus 6T is looking like an amazing phone. The retail box shows that it will have a fingerprint sensor under the screen.

OnePlus-6T.jpg

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/04/its-going-to-be-hard-to-say-no-to-the-oneplus-6t/

Be-the-OnePlus-6T-1-980x637.jpg

I could consider this over the Pixel 3. It will depend on how well the fingerprint reader works and how the camera and screen perform.

If they can put a decent camera in it, sure looks like a very solid phone. 

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think the bigger question is how well the fingerprint sensor works. It will be the first time this technology has been used so I can imagine it being a bit buggy or slow.

A lot of phones have had that, just not many in the US. Sounds like it is technology that still needs work based on reviews from recent phones using similar technology. 

I bought the OnePlus 2, as I liked the original OP1 concept.

The buying process back then was shrouded in mystery.  The device was janky and buggy.  Swore off these low-volume chinese brands, but apparently the OP6 is really good in all measures...makes the 6T interesting

• 4 weeks later...

SIAP but what's the best phone transfer app/software out there?

Swapping out a Motorola G5sPlus with an exact same one (warranty-allowed).  Migrate used to be the tits but they stopped supporting it beginning with Marshmallow (WHY?).  Do I have to do like 36 separate transfers using a variety of processes?  Yeah, I've backed up some shit in places, but honest to god I don't know where some of it is (like photos on some Google album site or some shit, I looked for it and only saw a few).

Honestly, since my phone doesn't have a ton of shit on it (and I want it that way) it might be simpler just to manually re-do everything over a few days/week or so than try to do all the other shit unless there's one good streamlined thing out there that handles 75% of it (Copy My Data. e.g.?).

Thanks for help.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Does Motorola not have software where you can just connect your old phone and transfer everything over similar to a Samsung or Pixel device? 

they used to.  you could just set phone on top of the other one and it would transfer everything.  I did that with the 1st and 2nd gen of motoX phones.

If you have succumbed to goolge, that + the text app will move most of what you need over.  

You can set the Google photos app to upload all your pictures; either as they are taken or when wifi is available.  The contacts should have the same thing.  If you are not seeing them in the through google photos, the check that setting.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Does Motorola not have software where you can just connect your old phone and transfer everything over similar to a Samsung or Pixel device? 

Actually they did have something that worked pretty well.  I got the link in the literature that came with the new phone.

However I hand-installed all the custom apps I had (didn't take long, don't have tons).

• Like 1

I guess I don't understand why everyone needs phone switching software. Google backs up everything. Texts settings contacts photos.

I was considering upgrading to the Pixel 3 XL from my Pixel XL but I don't see the benefit outweighing the cost.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, midtown said:

I guess I don't understand why everyone needs phone switching software. Google backs up everything. Texts settings contacts photos.

I was considering upgrading to the Pixel 3 XL from my Pixel XL but I don't see the benefit outweighing the cost.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure google stores passwords for apps or non-google account settings.  Last time I did it, I think I had both google and the samsung account going and almost everything had passwords too.  Google always seems to leave off a couple of apps, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

So I'm looking for some Surly advice, as I have to buy my first phone.

My old one finally crapped out yesterday, and since I've always had a company phone ... well I've never had to buy me one. And I wasn't very picky when someone else was paying for it, but it has become time for me to be an adult and buy my own phone.

Since I'm not an iFanboi, I'm asking for advice in the android thread as my last 2 or 3 have been Samsung. I'm not looking for latest/greatest, as I don't want to spend $750-$1,000+ (or $30+ a month for 2 years) for a phone.

What is a decent option for someone who is closer to ArmyBrats age than I am to a that of a college kid. FWIW - I mainly text, talk, photo & waze, and a few other apps, but I'm not really needing this to be go to video viewing platform.

I expect over 1/2 of the replies to mention a flip phone

17 hours ago, Viper said:

Yeah I was all set for the pixel 3 but $800 has turned me off. Will wait for a big deal, the OnePlus 6T, or just buy a used pixel 2

Yep, fuck that. No decent P3 deals either, aside from the $799 Fi credit for group plans. I ordered a new LG G7 now that they're down to $400 through Fi.

My old one finally crapped out yesterday, and since I've always had a company phone ... well I've never had to buy me one. And I wasn't very picky when someone else was paying for it, but it has become time for me to be an adult and buy my own phone.
Since I'm not an iFanboi, I'm asking for advice in the android thread as my last 2 or 3 have been Samsung. I'm not looking for latest/greatest, as I don't want to spend $750-$1,000+ (or $30+ a month for 2 years) for a phone.
What is a decent option for someone who is closer to ArmyBrats age than I am to a that of a college kid. FWIW - I mainly text, talk, photo & waze, and a few other apps, but I'm not really needing this to be go to video viewing platform.

My parents are in their 70's and both have the Samsung J6 and like it.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, Viper said:

look for a good condition year old phone on swappa. galaxy s8, note 8, pixel 2.

Or get a Oneplus 6, or wait till next month for the Oneplus 6T

Thanks - it gave me some good information, but I was needing to pick one up same day; since the old one was effectively a paperweight.

16 hours ago, Modessit said:
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Read more  

My parents are in their 70's and both have the Samsung J6 and like it.

Damn, 70's still sounds old but I turned 60 over the summer and my 2nd choice as a J7. However I ended up with an unlocked Moto g6 play for the same price as a Verizon J7. Out the door for under $200, but I have about $50 in accessories coming from Amazon (though I'll likely send some of that back)