Android Thread

On 10/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Yep, fuck that. No decent P3 deals either, aside from the $799 Fi credit for group plans.

maybe there'll be some deals come december, hopefully similar to the target/verizon p2 deal last year.  otherwise i'll probably hold off until 5G gets worked out. 

Edited by elfenix

no kidding on the pixel 3. Personally I'm waiting for a black friday deal on it to help out with the high price, but these night sight camera shots are frankly, unbelievable.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/10/23/google-pixel3-night-sight-camera-download/ 

regular camera

LEGO-NIGHT-SIGHT-980x735.jpg

Pixel Night Sight

LEGO-NIGHT-SIGHT-2-980x735.jpg

Regular Camera

OUTSIDE-NIGHT-SIGHT-980x735.jpg

Pixel Night Sight

OUTSIDE-NIGHT-SIGHT-2-980x735.jpg

Regular Camera

05ab916eb36e0ee18dd9464974b2b20463fe7894

Pixel Night Sight

2021b9156a18aa4185db5d7f684be3184e3c483c

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Regular camera is the pixel 3 camera without night sight on, or is it another camera completely? My wife has the 3, we've never messed with night sight.

there was an update a day or two ago that included night sight but didn't enable it. Go to the link in my post and you'll see the people at XDA managed to enable it and have the enabled apk for download. 

Go there and download it and install it if you want to use it right now. Or you can wait, it will probably be enabled by google in a few days.

Edited by Viper

holy shit.  i swore that i would never get any phone without a headphone jack.  i was beyond pissed at google for having bullshit "courage".  but after looking at this album of HDR+ w/out flash vs Night Shot, i'm getting a Pixel 3.  yea google gimped the hardware, yes it doesn't fucking have a headphone jack, yes it's got a huge fucking notch, but fuck it.  i'm all in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142977595@N02/albums/72157672628677437/with/30567223307/

more pics in the link.  pure fucking wizardry.

Google Pixel 3 XL HDR+ Enhanced 5Google Pixel 3 XL Night Sight Enabled 5Google Pixel 3 XL HDR+ Enhanced 11Google Pixel 3 XL Night Sight Enabled 11Google Pixel 3 XL HDR+ Enhanced 7Google Pixel 3 XL Night Sight Enabled 7

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Congrats to Google for turning into Apple. Glad I  passed on that thing.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/drm-for-chargers-google-pixel-3-locks-fast-qi-charging-to-its-own-79-stand/

Isn't actually the opposite? Qi is the locked proprietary technology, Google is the open source standard open to all. 

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

Isn't actually the opposite? Qi is the locked proprietary technology, Google is the open source standard open to all. 

Huh? Qi is standard technology used by dozens of manufacturers. Not locked.

Google is advertising the Pixel 3 as having Qi fast charging but being real quiet about the fact that a $15 10W Qi charger won't do it, you have to buy theirs. For $79.

It's a $15,000 - $25,000 annual fee to use Qi, Google usually likes to use open source standards. It's just like the h.264 vs. WebM codec a few years ago. There's other fast charges being developed that will be certified by Google that will work with the pixel. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

It's a $15,000 - $25,000 annual fee to use Qi, Google usually likes to use open source standards. It's just like the h.264 vs. WebM codec a few years ago. There's other fast charges being developed that will be certified by Google that will work with the pixel. 

I think you're missing the point. The Pixel 3 works with all existing Qi chargers as released, including 10W fast chargers,  but only at slow ass 5W. If you want Qi 10W fast charging, you have to buy Google's or whoever they allow to make one (like Belkin). The new Pixels are shipped with a software limitation that prevents them from charging at 10W on any Qi charger except a Google approved model. This is the exact same shit that Apple does.

There a plenty of other phones out there that fast charge perfectly fine on a generic $15 Qi 10W charger. Google could remove the software handshake requirement on the new Pixels, but they won't until sales on their $79 chargers go to shit.

• 3 weeks later...

So my wife's Pixel 2 turned into a brick on Saturday. Ordered a warranty replacement that morning to be delivered yesterday. Of course it's signature required and we work so no idea how we're going to actually receive it.

Second warranty replacement within a year on her phone. Seems ridiculous for $650.

FedEx. Yeah, it tells me to login for delivery options only to tell me there are no delivery options. Looks like I have to wait for them to try, and fail, delivery again tomorrow before they give me two days to pick it up at some random hub off of the Beltway. If I miss it, they send back to Google and round and round we go.

Call them. Have it sent to a Kinko's or change the delivery address to your work. Or give them approval to leave it at the door.
Trying now. Based on previous attempts, I don't have much hope. They always just read off what it says on the tracking information and do absolutely nothing to help. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

So my wife's Pixel 2 turned into a brick on Saturday. Ordered a warranty replacement that morning to be delivered yesterday. Of course it's signature required and we work so no idea how we're going to actually receive it.

Second warranty replacement within a year on her phone. Seems ridiculous for $650.

google is definitely not a hardware company.  the problem is they relied on HTC to make the regular pixel 2 phones.  there's a reason HTC is almost dead in as independent phone manufacturer.  they suck ass.  i believe they are now using LG, who aren't much better.  LG has a shitty record of manufacturing defects.

i can't understand a company which has billions in cash and all of the phd's in the world but can't stand up a dedicated hardware division similar to apple. it's a matter of conviction. 

As expected, FedEx can't do shit. They're telling me they can't hold it somewhere due to a restriction by Google and Google told me they can't do anything due to a contract with FedEx. So looks like I'll have to wait until Friday and then drive to this hub during my lunch break to see if I can pick it up. Definitely turning out to be a pain in my ass.

google is definitely not a hardware company.  the problem is they relied on HTC to make the regular pixel 2 phones.  there's a reason HTC is almost dead in as independent phone manufacturer.  they suck ass.  i believe they are now using LG, who aren't much better.  LG has a shitty record of manufacturing defects. i can't understand a company which has billions in cash and all of the phd's in the world but can't stand up a dedicated hardware division similar to apple. it's a matter of conviction. 

My Pixel 2 has been rock solid so far...knock on wood. Nexus 5 had something go wrong, but can't remember what. 5X boot looped after about a year. Wife's 5 had GPS issues and eventually a battery that was so bad it made the phone unusable. Pixel 2 had a bad microphone and now this one that just bricked unexpectedly out of the blue. 

Not really sure why I've stuck with them as long as I have and just reinforces the idea that the Pixel 3 is way over priced. I could forgive the issues on the Nexus phones because they were affordable and never meant to be flagship type phones.

Unfortunately I really like Project Fi so that kind of limits me.

Edit: remembered the issue on my 5. It just stopped reading the SIM card. Replacement lasted a while, but eventually started shutting off randomly.

people shit on samsung, i was one of the biggest critics.  after the s4, i got away from samsung because touchwiz was a hot mess.  i have the s8 and really really like it.  touchwiz is still bloated albeit a little less, samsung still stuffs way too much samsung shit on the phone but some people use all of that samsung shit.  i don't.  having the package disabler program freeze all the bs apps has made my s8 the best phone i've ever had.  the hardware is absolutely wonderful, battery life is great, screen is great, it's responsive as the new oneplus 6t with 2 gens new processor and 8 gb of ram.

if you are willing to pay $3 for the app and do a little work in learning what to do with the package disabler, namely what you can and can't disable, the s8 is a GREAT phone.  you can get it for cheap now. 

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

As expected, FedEx can't do shit. They're telling me they can't hold it somewhere due to a restriction by Google and Google told me they can't do anything due to a contract with FedEx. So looks like I'll have to wait until Friday and then drive to this hub during my lunch break to see if I can pick it up. Definitely turning out to be a pain in my ass.

Do you have a Fedex Delivery Manager account, Should be able to select a store and not the hub, but they usually must make a home attempt first. 

Do you have a Fedex Delivery Manager account, Should be able to select a store and not the hub, but they usually must make a home attempt first. 
I do, but it gives me some BS about restrictions by the sender which is also what FedEx told me when I called. Doesn't seem like there's much I can do at this point except try and pick it up on Friday.

I do, but it gives me some BS about restrictions by the sender which is also what FedEx told me when I called. Doesn't seem like there's much I can do at this point except try and pick it up on Friday.
Well.... you or the wife could take the day off tomorrow or work from home.

Well.... you or the wife could take the day off tomorrow or work from home.
Would be nice, but really busy for both of us right now so not an option for either. Thought I had caught the FedEx man yesterday because there was no tag on the door yet when I got home and tracking still said out for delivery, but no dice. Oh well, we'll figure it out.

10 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Pretty good black Friday deals on Pixel 3 and 3 XL for anyone interested. 

https://store.google.com/us/category/black_friday_cyber_monday_promos

Google store black friday deals

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/14/google-store-black-friday-2018-deals-kick-off-november-16-with-pixel-3-on-bogo-50-off/

• Black Friday (11/16 – 11/21): Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL will go up for a BOGO 50% off deal. That’s buy one, get one 50% off, for those new to the deal business.
  • Black Friday (11/22 – 11/25): If that’s not your deal of choice, Google will follow that up with a $150 price drop on Pixel 3 and $200 on Pixel 3 XL.
  • Cyber Monday: Buy a Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL and get a Google Home Hub ($149 value) and $50 to spend on Google Store

If you want to sign a 2 year deal with verizon you can get them for $200 off at best buy

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/15/deal-pixel-3-and-3-xl-now-200-off-at-best-buy-pixel-2-xl-400-off/

If you just bought a phone from Google store, ostensibly due to BF/CM sale, you might have screwed yourself.

For today and today only - ending midnight San Transcisco time - Google is offering dollar-for-dollar travel credit for a a Google Fi subscription + Device purchase.  Up to 999$ which is the highest priced device they offer (P3XL-128GB). 

Travel credit is a virtual gift card redeemable on Delta airlines (meh), Hotels.com (woo), and AirBnb (decent).  With no expiration.

Google Fi subscription has no contract*; runs monthly 20$ (talk)+0-60$ (data) depending on usage; and phone is full-fat unlocked phone.

*obviously you need to keep the service for a few months for the travel credit to kick in...but atleast not a full 24mo commitment.

So I spent 1000$.  Ill get a 1000$ credit redeemable for what i use anyway (book almost everything through hotels.com).

I have a phone worth 1000$ retail, and at minimum half that if flipped.  Subscription committment is minimum 240$ for a year assuming its never touched.

And even though I have a work phone account with generous data allowance, I can use the Fi service as secondary SIM to burn through unlimited data when roaming in places like Asia, Africa, etc, with their stupendous data roaming rates, without having to bother buying local SIMs

Edited by 52-80

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If you just bought a phone from Google store, ostensibly due to BF/CM sale, you might have screwed yourself.

this is a little bit overstated since most people don't have Fi and the benefit might not appeal to everyone, but yeah it's become obvious to never buy a google phone that comes out in September/October at launch. I have two buddies that did and are kicking themselves.

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

this is a little bit overstated since most people don't have Fi and the benefit might not appeal to everyone, but yeah it's become obvious to never buy a google phone that comes out in September/October at launch. I have two buddies that did and are kicking themselves.

I did, I don't like or use Fi, but the Black Friday deal sucked for me as I already bought it. But yeah, guess next year wait until at least Black Friday for the pixel deals. 

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Does Google Fi work with Samsung phones? Does this credit work with Samsung phones?

Yes.  On Google Fi website, it'll list many samsung models as compatible with Fi.

The deal is over (ended early due to "limited supply")

Had it still been active, if you chose to only get Fi service to use with your phone, credit was $200.

You are obligated for 120days (=4 months) of service... which is $20*4 = 80$ ... if you do not use data at all. 

if you choose to purchase say a $500 phone, you get $500 credit

Obligation is still the same at 80$... except you also own the phone outright AND have more travel credit