Jump to content
Baboontyme

Android Thread

Recommended Posts

so pixel 4 90Hz display only works if brightness is above 75%; otherwise, it displays at 60Hz.

the fuck? google, why design around a small battery by doing shit like this. put in a larger battery and then there's no need to do stupid shit like this. 

got damned google!

anyone thinking of getting a pixel 4, my advice is to get a oneplus 7 pro or 7t pro. i have a 6t. great light weight os staying very close to stock, reasonably fast updates. great modding/rom community for when oneplus stops supporting the phone. the mediocre camera is easily improved by installing gcam which there's a robust dev community supporting it.  and the hardware is not gimped in anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I'm thinking too.

 

I will be looking at a midtier or used phone for my middle schooler in a few months. Thinking pixel 3a, or One Plus 6 or 6t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, crash_davis said:

so pixel 4 90Hz display only works if brightness is above 75%; otherwise, it displays at 60Hz.

the fuck? google, why design around a small battery by doing shit like this. put in a larger battery and then there's no need to do stupid shit like this. 

got damned google!

anyone thinking of getting a pixel 4, my advice is to get a oneplus 7 pro or 7t pro. i have a 6t. great light weight os staying very close to stock, reasonably fast updates. great modding/rom community for when oneplus stops supporting the phone. the mediocre camera is easily improved by installing gcam which there's a robust dev community supporting it.  and the hardware is not gimped in anyway.

Shitty camera is the deal breaker for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, mycox said:

And the Pixel 4 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. The facial recognition is supposed to be imitate so no big deal when logging in, but there are a lot of apps out that that only use fingerprint for authentication. Also a telephoto lens, but no ultra-wide angle lens.

i strongly suspect that it's not a telephoto camera, just like with iphones. 

 

/cameradork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a Samsung fan since the Galaxy S4. Looking to update my S8 and want 5G compatibility. My S8 is the perfect size, and from what I've seen the Galaxy S10 5G looks nice but is very bulky. Does the Oneplus 7 Pro fit in a front pocket easily (no skinny jeans)? I read the Oneplus 7 Pro 5G camera is improved with a software update.

Maybe I'll wait next year for the OnePlus 8 or the Samsung Galaxy S11. Although it sounds like the S11 will be very pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OnePlus 7 series are approx 6.5"+ so theyre pretty fucking huge.  I'd like them if they were more of 6" class.

S10e looks like the better buy for being reasonable size AND doesnt have the stupid sloping display thats just wasted pixel.

If you have access to the Huawei P30, i think thats pretty cool too.  Not the larger P30 Pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's a review of the Note 10 5G (isn't the S10 5G only available for business?)

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/09/20/we-tested-verizon-5g-on-a-galaxy-note-10-5g-and-yeah-its-pretty-fast/

It's super fast, and gets super hot +102F. It also doesn't work very well around tall buildings or inside.

 

Here's a Pixel 4 review

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/23/google-pixel-4-review-nope-not-this-one/

to summarize the headers - 

GOOD: 

  • Camera
  • Software
  • Hardware and design
  • Availability

 

Somewhere in the Middle:

  • Display
  • Specs
  • MotionSense
  • FaceUnlock

 

Not so Good:

  • Battery
  • All the missed things (fingerprint reader, unlimited original quality photo backup, headphones or dongle)
  • Price

 

Verdict:

Quote

 

Ummm, I don’t think anyone should buy the regular Pixel 4. There are too many red flags and I’m concerned that this just isn’t a phone that will last you two years. Since it starts at $800, my suggestion would be to pass.

Battery life might be the most important part of a smartphone experience and this phone fails there. There are questions surrounding the 90Hz display experience now, I’m worried that 64GB storage is not going to be enough over a 2-year period, and Google cut some of the important perks and benefits that we expect from not just Pixel phones, but Android phones in general. I don’t see any major benefits to Motion Sense, there’s no fingerprint reader, and there are other phones out there (like those from OnePlus) that can be had that offer more for hundreds of dollars less.

Yes, the camera is excellent. Yes, the software support is the best. But if those are the most important things to you, then buy the Pixel 4 XL, not this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 9:13 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Shitty camera is the deal breaker for me. 

bro, do you even gcam?  

seriously gcam gives most android phones pixel like camera without having to own a pixel. look for the apk for your phone.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

arnova versions are the "best" for snapdragon processors. but look at your phones xda section.

i don't ever use my stock camera on my 6t. gcam is so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can't speak highly enough of the Moto G7 if you are interested in getting off the 1000 phone merry-go-round.

If you are "looking" for comparison points, yes, you can tell it's not the high end phone.  But if you are just using the damn thing, even power-using, it just works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I really can't speak highly enough of the Moto G7 if you are interested in getting off the 1000 phone merry-go-round.

If you are "looking" for comparison points, yes, you can tell it's not the high end phone.  But if you are just using the damn thing, even power-using, it just works well.

gcam for G7. you may want to read/skim the thread. seems to be good reviews of the apps.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g7-power/themes/best-gcam-nokia-7-power-t3930038/page6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, mycox said:

Looking to update my S8 and want 5G compatibility. 

I wouldn't spend much time thinking about 5g compatibility at this point. 5g will not be prevalent and it's physical limitations will not be worked out during the 2yr life cycle of whatever phone you buy today. You do not want any of the first gen 5g phones out now, lack of true system integration means the hardware is large, power hungry, and awkwardly packaged. The networks are nonexistent, and the basic physics dictates that the current cell tower system cannot support good 5g coverage in areas with buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

bro, do you even gcam?  

seriously gcam gives most android phones pixel like camera without having to own a pixel. look for the apk for your phone.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

arnova versions are the "best" for snapdragon processors. but look at your phones xda section.

i don't ever use my stock camera on my 6t. gcam is so much better.

Gcam makes most phone cameras better, but still not as good as the Pixel. I would much rather have the pixel with all its shortcomings over a One Plus device, just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Gcam makes most phone cameras better, but still not as good as the Pixel. I would much rather have the pixel with all its shortcomings over a One Plus device, just my opinion. 

the difference is nominal at worst. take the test for yourself. in most shots, there's very little difference between the two. it's at the nitpicking level.

6t gcam vs pixel 3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6t stock cam vs 6t gcam comparison. much bigger difference between stock vs gcam than gcam vs pixel.

the improvement of gcam over stock is tangible and glaring. there are examples of this in most android phones.  if you do not have gcam installed on your android phone, you are missing out. it's an apk that you simply install. there are xml's and other tweaks and version which may be better, but most gcam apks will be an improvement over most android stock cameras.

the below are not my photos. they are photo comparisons found on the net of the 6t stock vs gcam camera apps.

 

gcam top, stock bottom. look at the dynamic range of the top pic vs the bottom pic

xr3tat8zff031.jpg

 

stock left, gcam right. way less over exposure, and better dynamic range.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

 

stock top, gcam bottom

k7znS2r.jpg

IhlE0D8.jpg

Edited by crash_davis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jesus dude, wash your beard

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

gcam top, stock bottom. look at the dynamic range of the top pic vs the bottom pic

xr3tat8zff031.jpg

Jesus dude, wash your beard, maybe pickup some head and sholders

Edited by Viper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Android 10's predictive app drawer is a huge step back from 9. 9 was kinda creepy in how good it was. 10 is the regarded cousin in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Viper said:

here's a review of the Note 10 5G (isn't the S10 5G only available for business?)

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/09/20/we-tested-verizon-5g-on-a-galaxy-note-10-5g-and-yeah-its-pretty-fast/

It's super fast, and gets super hot +102F. It also doesn't work very well around tall buildings or inside.

 

Here's a Pixel 4 review

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/23/google-pixel-4-review-nope-not-this-one/

to summarize the headers - 

GOOD: 

  • Camera
  • Software
  • Hardware and design
  • Availability

 

Somewhere in the Middle:

  • Display
  • Specs
  • MotionSense
  • FaceUnlock

 

Not so Good:

  • Battery
  • All the missed things (fingerprint reader, unlimited original quality photo backup, headphones or dongle)
  • Price

 

Verdict:

 

If anyone cares, here's their Pixel 4 XL review.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/31/google-pixel-4-xl-review/

basically battery life is up from bad to average. screen is better, brighter.

Otherwise still overpriced

Quote

The Verdict


The funniest part of all of this is, I can sit here and tell you how Google royally screwed this device up, but I still love it. The Pixel phone experience is the experience I prefer on smartphones, since all of the Google services that I require work like a charm. What Google did right on the phone they did very well, which for me includes Face Unlock and the overall hardware experience.

Am I disappointed it only has 64GB storage, 6GB RAM, no wide angle lens, and no fingerprint reader? You better believe it, but it still offers everything I need in a phone, which I suppose is average battery life and fantastic still photography. If you need your phone for anything besides that, though, you’re best looking elsewhere in 2019.

Again, for a complete breakdown of the Pixel 4’s camera features and other important details, please read our full-length Pixel 4 review.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a the Pixel 4 XL since last week, and the battery life has been surprisingly good. It is not iPhone Pro Max level, but easily gets through the day with 6-7 hours SOT. I think it is a non issue on the XL, but on the regular 4 it appears to be terrible as predicted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else lose the google voice search bar to google assistant? this shit is not ok and there are a few articles that are months and years old talking about google making the searches go through assistant, but nothing recent i can find. it just happend to mine within the last few hours. i use the voice search all the time and hate the assistant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Anyone else lose the google voice search bar to google assistant? this shit is not ok and there are a few articles that are months and years old talking about google making the searches go through assistant, but nothing recent i can find. it just happend to mine within the last few hours. i use the voice search all the time and hate the assistant. 

Do you mean a floating google search bar like on a home screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thinking of putting Gcam on it.

 

It's just an apk that you install.  Just have to find the right one. Not difficult at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On mine, yeah the mic is gone and it has the dots indicative of bringing up assistant search.  On google app, however, the mic is still there.  Well, scratch that, on app it flops between the two and behavior is similar and assistant-y.

However, I have a "chrome search" widget that's monochrome, just has the mic, and only does searches, no assistant-y crap.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haha wtf google? i glance at my phone and see some random "new" app installed called clankium. apparently it's just a different chrome build that was misplaced with canary.  

well that sure as shit woke me up, 🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a cute little fella.

I still can't get my old google voice search. It's in my widgets, I put it on the screen and it immediately turns into google assistant. I've looked and I'm not alone here and it's fucking me up. Can't find a solution.  cocksucker motherfuckers dickbag fuckweasels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be a dumb question but do I really need to go to the AT&T store to get a new phone? Can I order an unlocked Galaxy from the Samsung website and just add my SIM card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Might be a dumb question but do I really need to go to the AT&T store to get a new phone? Can I order an unlocked Galaxy from the Samsung website and just add my SIM card?

Yes, that's the whole idea behind unlocked phones. The phone is not locked to any carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may, however, have to get a SIM card specifically for your new phone.

Places like bestbuy have them and install it for you.

If you get it online, you may have to get one from ATT store or CS by mail.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...