Android Thread

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

quantify cheap?  new?  used?  int'l phones opens up a whole set up inexpensive phones not avail to the US.  blu and honor come to mind.  or get another moto phone.

New or used, as long as it's in good shape. He's in Mexico so it would be on Telcel, needs to be GSM and accept a SIM card.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

New or used, as long as it's in good shape. He's in Mexico so it would be on Telcel, needs to be GSM and accept a SIM card.

most all "unlocked" phones are gsm.  cdma is only specific to verizon, sprint, and some japanese carriers.  the rest of the world is gsm.

https://swappa.com/mobile/unlocked/phones

it really depends on how much you want to spend.  keep in mind an older phone will have more degraded battery.  the question is a 2 or 3 year old flagship phone with a more degraded battery vs a newer budget phone with "better" battery.  there are many good phones ~$200 and less.  

Galaxy S7, Pixel 2, LG G6, Oneplus 5, Blu XI+, Blu XI, Honor 9 Lite...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Okie State said:

I used to be a fan of LG, but after issues with my Nexus 5, dishwasher, and a one year old TV...I won't be buying their shit again.

The only real thing I miss about my old LG was the fingerprint recognition was light years ahead of my Google phone or my wife's Samsung. Took pretty damn good pictures as well, but the Google phone is also good and the Night Sight feature is just fucking amazing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pops said:

Maybe they got their shit together but my son had a g5 that finally got warrantied out for a g6 that was no better. 

i was a big fan of LG.  had teh G2, G3 and G4.  after all 3 models breaking, i stopped buying LG.  G2 still is one of my favorite phones evah.

G2, screen would go to shit with dead spots.  and the motherboard would eventually fail. known hardware issue.  had 2 G2s die with screen issue and motherboard failures.

G3, sim card and SD card tray would eventually fail.  known hardware issue. had 2 G3s that stopped reading SIM cards.

G4, black screen of death.  motherboard would fail.  known hardware issue. had 1 G4 die from bad motherboard.

G5, shitty battery life and GPS issues.  known hardware issue

But from the G6 on, I haven't heard any hardware or production issues.

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

Pixel 3a looks promising. Not crazy about it being plastic, but for $399 I could compromise.

If you purchase an unlocked one from Best Buy and then activate it, it's $299 (plus a $100 gift card).

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

Pixel 3a looks promising. Not crazy about it being plastic, but for $399 I could compromise.

love the 2011 bezels.  it's like they don't care at all about the hardware or how it looks.  no excuse to have apple bezels in 2019.

I wish more phones would go back to a bezel. The new crop of bezel-less phones is difficult to hold and use one-handed without getting phantom touches on the edge of the screen. And I'm very happy to see a plastic back, the current trend toward glass backs is utterly stupid, more weight and easier to damage. And a headphone jack! Just missing a replaceable battery and this would be my ideal phone. I'll be getting one to try.

• Like 1

Thin bezels are good.  It just means more display is all.  Near bezeless, and edge-waterfall are stupid.  Because of phantom touches, but also sorta limits the case options.

And yes cases are stupid too.  I dont use mine to preserve the phones exterior, but actually most of these glass/metal phones are slippery as fuck to hold, and cant stand on its edge e.g. to watch a video in proper format.

A phone with good texture or tack would be great.  And no metal because its incompatible with wireless charging.

Headphone jacks are pretty 2005 though.  bluetooth is the way.  and in-line USB-C adapters are virtually invisible - just keep it attached to your headphone cord.  Try a phone with a proper large battery (& proper battery management)...like a huawei.... and the battery-anxiety will go away.  Also a battery pack is more useful than phone-specific replacement battery

• Like 1

bezels suck.  it's just useless real estate making the phone larger than it needs to be.  i have an s8 and oneplus 6t.  i never have issues with phantom touches.  having a phone with bezels is like dating a fat chic with all the extra mass.  why?

bluetooth headphones have made a huge improvement in sound quality.  SQ difference is barely noticeable now.  if you pay attention, compared to wired, the bass is always more muddied, and the mids and highs are more muted.  but the issue with bluetooth headphones is the charging requirement.  FUCK. THAT.  plug a headphone into the headphone jack and don't have to worry about a thing.  working out is the one time bluetooth headphones are better than wired.  you can still listen to bluetooth headphones on phones with headphone jacks.  that's never been an issue.  from the galaxy line of phones, there no design compromises with keeping the headphone jack.  removing the jack is removing a choice which is what apple does, which is anti consumer as fuck.

Oneplus 7 Pro reviews are coming in.  Camera is still not flagship level.  But everything is fantastic especially the screen (best available of any phone) and the speed.  Many are saying it's the best Android phone available, and some are saying it's the best phone available (if camera is not your main criteria). 

I was a LG and Samsung guy before getting my 6T.  For me the 6T would be perfect if not for the missing headphone jack.  Really annoyed every time I have to dig for the damn dongle.  But the phone is so much smoother and faster than my S9, even with all the bloatware and Samsung shit frozen.  I have GCam port for my 6T which greatly improves the camera.  I'm sure the same will happen for the 7 Pro.  If the 7 Pro had a headphone jack, I would've gladly traded in my 6T for the 7 Pro.  The 6T is my one and only phone that I will buy w/out a headphone jack.

Waiting for Huawei and Sammie to up their game.

15 minutes ago, midtown said:

The camera on my 6 is pretty impressive and now thst I have it rooted and I'm running havoc rom I'm loving this phone

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

yeah we know from all of your goddamn tapatalk signatures you've spammed around the board.

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:
35 minutes ago, Dolemite said:
I got the Pixel 3a XL two days ago for $380 after $100 rebate from Verizon. Highly recommend.

I'm seriously considering picking up the 3a. It checks all the boxes for me. Bezels be damned!

I am an extremely light loser. Just talk, some text, some browsing. No gaming. 

I don't care about the build, the case hides the plastic but the plastic looks nice. Makes phone lighter.

Great Battery. Cranked it up at 6 am just turned it off (9 pm) with 83% battery left.

Camara is great.

Don't swim with the phone, don't take it in the shower, don't drop in the toilet and don't use it in the rain. Nyet to water proofing.

Don't care about wireless charging. Plug in works better.

Love the headphone jack. Big battery, 3 years of updates. 

I may upgrade to 4 XL in the fall. Depends. 

Only changed I may have made is getting the 3a since that battery would likely suit my light usage. 

Fuck Samsung, fuck Apple.

Edited by Dolemite

I've had my LG V30 for just over 2 years now, and I still think it's the best overall phone on the market. Waterproof, headphone jack, DAC, wireless charging, great battery life, best fingerprint reader on the market, dual camera with a wide-angle lens, GCam compatible, slim bezels, etc. The only negative is the slower update cycle, but that is relatively minor. This is the first phone I've owned that I have zero desire to replace.

pixel 3a feels like a return to the nexus 5 model.  some very nice features in a not particularly expensive phone.  i think most people would swap the top of the line processor nexus) for a top of the line camera system (pixel3a) like google has done. 

• Like 2

pixel 3a feels like a return to the nexus 5 model.  some very nice features in a not particularly expensive phone.  i think most people would swap the top of the line processor nexus) for a top of the line camera system (pixel3a) like google has done. 
Absolutely this. Nexus was everything I wanted in a phone. The pixel line had started to stray from that and I was ready to jump to something else. Glad they're offering both now.

12 hours ago, The University said:

it was a matter of time, but this sucks if you own one.

Huawei has immediately lost access to Android and Google

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/

this is definitely not going to trigger further escalation of the trade wars that will surely benefit everyone

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 9:24 PM, Okie State said:
On 5/16/2019 at 8:59 PM, Dolemite said:
I got the Pixel 3a XL two days ago for $380 after $100 rebate from Verizon. Highly recommend.

I'm seriously considering picking up the 3a. It checks all the boxes for me. Edge to edge screens be damned!

As you likely already know, Android Q will have a system-wide dark mode setting for use. Battery life on 3a should be unreal after updated to Q

Battery life on this 3a XL I have is great. Its been on for 14 hours, basically, just laying here yet still has 96% battery left. 

• Like 1