Roll20

BrazilHorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I joined R20, a few months ago. Have played in a couple of small campaigns. It is fine for what it is designed to be. Like any other ttRPG, a lot of it depends on the DM and other RPers in the group. I also joined RPGTableFinder, trying to find locals for possible face to face or online play. So far, only got 5 in the table I created, kind of scattered all over North AL, so face to face likely will not happen. I have even created my own rulebook and world, a very simplified version of AD&D with far less races and classes. Have not created any campaigns within that framework, just a basic Player's Guide. 

I do not know about any of the other services, as I just recently got back into doing this kind of thing. I have played a ton of JRPG video games but have not played any ttRPG since the late 80's/early 90's.

My board gaming table project is coming along nicely. Waiting on the tempered glass TV cover go arrive. After that, it's just cosmetic work, like affixing the play field fabric, led lights, and dropping in the cup holders.

The gaming experience is about to level up around here.2ad4982c24d7d769c4004d45a51dac61.jpgc8b9aec13ff6be45df89a8e1c1db223a.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So played last night. Using discord for voice, roll20 for visuals, dice rolls etc 

cool in that we were in 4 different places, yet could see the virtual desktop/map etc

easy system to use as a player. It creates more of a hybrid feel between say a video game version of D&D and in person version. 

It was fun to play again and certainly gives me something to do on the road (i travel pretty much weekly). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, BrazilHorn said:

So played last night. Using discord for voice, roll20 for visuals, dice rolls etc 

cool in that we were in 4 different places, yet could see the virtual desktop/map etc

easy system to use as a player. It creates more of a hybrid feel between say a video game version of D&D and in person version. 

It was fun to play again and certainly gives me something to do on the road (i travel pretty much weekly). 

Started earlier this year with some friends thanks to the pandemic putting a crimp in things we normally do.  It's working out really well, although we are talking about doing it either twice a week, or longer than our normal session.  Just doing Lost Mine of Phandelver.  Roll20 works very well for what it's meant to be, and as said up thread, comes down to your DM's skill/enthusiasm.

If we don't increase the time or add another weekly session, I may look around Roll20 for another game to add, because it's turning out to be a fun thing to do in the evenings.

Funny how it had been decades since I seriously played D&D, and even with multiple editions since then, I was able to pick it up fast and be in the groove within a few weeks.  Credit to the 5th Edition.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Started earlier this year with some friends thanks to the pandemic putting a crimp in things we normally do.  It's working out really well, although we are talking about doing it either twice a week, or longer than our normal session.  Just doing Lost Mine of Phandelver.  Roll20 works very well for what it's meant to be, and as said up thread, comes down to your DM's skill/enthusiasm.

If we don't increase the time or add another weekly session, I may look around Roll20 for another game to add, because it's turning out to be a fun thing to do in the evenings.

Funny how it had been decades since I seriously played D&D, and even with multiple editions since then, I was able to pick it up fast and be in the groove within a few weeks.  Credit to the 5th Edition.

Same for me. I hadn't really played D&D in forever and 5th edition has been an easy ramp back into it. We finished Curse of Strahd in a hybrid of Roll20 & in person. Pandemic put a hold on in person for a long time obviously. We started a low magic (think more Conan the Barbarian type use of magic) home brew campaign not too long ago and have been able to play in person the past 3 sessions so it is cool to get back in the saddle in that way.

I will say during the pandemic especially, D&D has been a nice escape from all the bullshit going on in the world.

• 2 months later...

Dear Diary,

The family started the 5E Humblewood campaign after finishing Lost Mine of Phandelver and I think they are sufficiently hooked on D&D.

I'm not using Fantasy Grounds for this (and I'm itching to try 4.0 for a campaign!) since there is no Humblewood FG module (though there is one in Roll20, but alas), so I'm going to be doing more theater of the mind for this one and see how they like it. My inclination is that they'll like it a lot.

I'll report back.

20201105_232709.thumb.jpg.999702c427a5d84b87af39dbee268a59.jpg

Just look at those cute heroes. 

20201105_232916.thumb.jpg.5b7a211aa8f1a5a487faa2e23a7862d0.jpg