Colorado with kids

shnsajax

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I am a native.  I'm also a second homeowner in a mountain community (in Grand county near Winter Park).  And I've stayed in Denver throughout this mess because that's what the mountain communities asked us to do and because they don't have the resources to deal with a lot of cases like Denver does.  There is one small hospital in all of Grand county.  That's it.  Some counties banned second homeowners from accessing their homes (Gunnison, San Miguel and Summit counties all did this and are still doing it) and others, like Grand county, asked us to stay away but did not mandate it.  I have not spend a night up in that house since March 6.  We usually go 2-3 times per month.  I am willing to sacrifice my time in the mountains right now because I know there are bigger issues at hand.  As a member of the community up there, I'm willing to do what we need to do so we can be open by summer.

I have zero issues with out of staters 99% of the time.  You provide a big boost to the economy and I know why you like to come up because it's the same reasons I like to go up.  But I do have a problem with self important pricks like TexanTraveling.  He doesn't care about the mountain community.  He just cares about himself.  And nobody is going to tell him what to do.

EDIT:  I also agree that it's the people who moved to the mountains from somewhere else are usually the biggest pricks about visitors.  Even as a CO resident with a second home up there, you still run into those folks from time to time.  But they got theirs and would rather you go away.  Very NIMBYish, IMO.

Yep.  It is usually some asshole who was born in Connecticut and moved to Colorado three months ago and unlikely to stay permanently that is mouthing off about tourists

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yep.  It is usually some asshole who was born in Connecticut and moved to Colorado three months ago and unlikely to stay permanently that is mouthing off about tourists

Either them, or the "I came here for college and never left" crowd.  More like "I came here for college, but failed out because I smoked too much weed so I moved to the mountains to be a ski bum".

I just rented a house for 2 weeks in Breckenridge. Checked with home owner as to their thoughts about us coming in re: CV19 etc. I was concerned about perception of out of towners but frankly we don't really plan on leaving house, just getting the fuck out of the Texas heat for a bit.

I have until June 6th to cancel, so I will keep finger on pulse and make call.

• 7 months later...

Ok - Coming back to this thread for some Spring Break ski advice.

I have two boys 11 & 13, that have skied prior (I am not a skier) but my kids are decent and we'd like to get them back out this spring. We'd want a place with a good ski school as a refresher if possible.

I have heard good things about Keystone for kids but am a Colorado novice (we have always gone to Deer Valley/Park City).

Any advice from this board would be appreciated. Thanks all.

I have two boys 11 & 13, that have skied prior (I am not a skier) but my kids are decent and we'd like to get them back out this spring. We'd want a place with a good ski school as a refresher if possible.
I have heard good things about Keystone for kids but am a Colorado novice (we have always gone to Deer Valley/Park City).
Any big resort will be good, but expensive. Book your accommodations with only your family and plan on eating in and you'll be good. You might be able to eat out, but it's not certain.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Are you driving or flying? If flying, the best advice we ever received for Spring Break Skiing is Jackson Hole. Everyone driving sticks to Colorado/Utah/NM and they are stuffed with people. Jackson was not crowded at SB in any way. The instructors are incredible. No one in our family had skied before, but by the end of the second day they had us on some easy blues and feeling pretty good about it.  Everyone goes to Jackson for the big stuff (Corbet's etc) up top, so the greens and blues were wide open and really fun. As a novice family, we had a great experience there. We stayed in town, had a ton of restaurants and shops to walk to and then shuttled to the slopes. If you don't want to ski the whole time, we did a snow shoe guided hike in the Tetons and took a snow cat out to Yellowstone for a couple of days to recover from skiing . We had Old Faithful literary to ourselves at the end of the day. 

Disclaimer: all of my advice is pre-Covid. Fly at your own risk. Get vaccinated. Or put this information to good use in 2022. 

474371CE-92CC-4967-9555-C798C2882499.jpeg

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Are you driving or flying? If flying, the best advice we ever received for Spring Break Skiing is Jackson Hole. Everyone driving sticks to Colorado/Utah/NM and they are stuffed with people. Jackson was not crowded at SB in any way. The instructors are incredible. No one in our family had skied before, but by the end of the second day they had us on some easy blues and feeling pretty good about it.  Everyone goes to Jackson for the big stuff (Corbet's etc) up top, so the greens and blues were wide open and really fun. As a novice family, we had a great experience there. We stayed in town, had a ton of restaurants and shops to walk to and then shuttled to the slopes. If you don't want to ski the whole time, we did a snow shoe guided hike in the Tetons and took a snow cat out to Yellowstone for a couple of days to recover from skiing . We had Old Faithful literary to ourselves at the end of the day. 

Disclaimer: all of my advice is pre-Covid. Fly at your own risk. Get vaccinated. Or put this information to good use in 2022. 

474371CE-92CC-4967-9555-C798C2882499.jpeg

We were planning on flying. Hadn't considered Wyoming frankly but good call. In terms of being more specific per a post above:

Kids want to snowboard & ski (but primarily snowboard) - It will be their first time snowboarding so would like a school/resort with mix of runs. I think somewhere with tubing runs could be fun for them as well

I want one with good bar with strong bourbon selection as I will be day drinking while kids are in ski school/hitting the slopes. I have issues with ankles that preclude me wearing bindings/skiing etc. So for me having good lodge is key/coffee shop/gym/restaurant as I anticipate with CV19 we won't be going into town over much.

I would also like access to snow mobile excursions and that kind of deal as well.

I am not overly concerned re: price so we can look at a range of resorts. (Shaggy 1%)

16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

We were planning on flying. Hadn't considered Wyoming frankly but good call. In terms of being more specific per a post above:

Kids want to snowboard & ski (but primarily snowboard) - It will be their first time snowboarding so would like a school/resort with mix of runs. I think somewhere with tubing runs could be fun for them as well

I want one with good bar with strong bourbon selection as I will be day drinking while kids are in ski school/hitting the slopes. I have issues with ankles that preclude me wearing bindings/skiing etc. So for me having good lodge is key/coffee shop/gym/restaurant as I anticipate with CV19 we won't be going into town over much.

I would also like access to snow mobile excursions and that kind of deal as well.

I am not overly concerned re: price so we can look at a range of resorts. (Shaggy 1%)

Telluride (can be a bit more difficult mountain, but not bad).

Vail (easier mountain, it's where my 1% brother goes and enjoys it).

Park City (very blue mountain, bit easier to get to). - If Utah is an option.

In regards to the snowboard vs ski question, there isn't a resort that doesn't cater to both, all of them have a decent school. I don't snowmobile but I'd be surprised if you found a resort that didn't have that option.

Edited by MoJames

Just now, 6th Street said:

Book well in advance if you're coming to CO. They are limiting pass holders and general admissions due to social distancing and crowd controls. 

And it's still a god damn mess. Wolfcreek had people parking on the highway. Purgatory was gross with lines wrapping around the entire beach.

48 minutes ago, MoJames said:

And it's still a god damn mess. Wolfcreek had people parking on the highway. Purgatory was gross with lines wrapping around the entire beach.

Interesting - I know nothing about the Durango resorts, but maybe they're more lax on restrictions? 

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Steamboat might be a good fit.  They have an airport.  Lots of the CO resorts have restrictions on the number of skiers on the hill, so reservations are required.  Make sure you look into that for wherever you go.

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Interesting - I know nothing about the Durango resorts, but maybe they're more lax on restrictions? 

I honestly don't know, got all of this second hand as I currently have zero interest in taking my 5 n 7 year old up there. It's always a clusterfuck from Christmas to the New Year with everyone visiting. This year with limited snow, COVID restrictions and people itching to get places, it is just a perfect storm for a crappy day at the slopes. My kids and I will report back at the end of January.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:
I am. We're here until the 9th. Headed to RMNP this morning. 
Wtf was up with that pack of dogs the other night? 

We left on Sunday and just got back up. Don't know about the dogs.

One night there were some pack of dogs going down the valley. Would not shut up for hours to the point that someone started shooting rounds to scare them off. 

• 4 months later...