What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

19 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've been meaning to check out Comedy Bang! Bang!

My episode recommendations:

Any of the year end "Best Of" episodes. Usually they are split into about 3 episodes.

"Time Bobby" is my all time favorite. Paul F. Tompkins and Bobby Moynahan are the guests. Also check out "Time Bobby 2"

"Murderer Heaven" - Rob Corddry and Paul F. Tompkins as Richard Harrow from Boardwalk Empire (you don't need to have seen the show to enjoy this)

"A Family Affair" - James Adomian as Gary Busey

"Out of Bleeps" - Amy Poehler, Jason Mantzoukas, and James Adomian as Tom Leykis

"The Pancake Man" - Paul F. Tompkins as Werner Herzog

"Have a Merry Christmas" - Nick Kroll, Doug Benson, others

"And a Happy New Year" - Patton Oswalt, Thomas Lennon, and Brett Gelman

On 3/27/2018 at 5:52 PM, Chewbacca said:

Been listening to these lately:

• American History Tellers
  • Constitutional
  • Reply All (probably my favorite but they only have a new episode every 2 weeks or so)
  • Business Wars
  • Rogan
  • The Fighter and the Kid

Checked out business wars, just finished Netflix vs Blockbuster. Decent podcast

Some more episodes of the Cracked podcast that are freakin great:

Why Americans Hate the Poor - Fascinating discussion of class, poverty, and perception. 

How Germs Affect Your Politics - Perception of immigrants and how our language analogizes them to disease carriers/spreaders.

Best Episode Ever: 30 Rock - Just some comedians talking about 30 Rock. If you're a fan you'll like it.

Why Conservative Comedy is Almost Impossible in Trump Times - A look at liberal dominance in comedy and a discussion of the "punching up/punching down" dichotomy. 

11 Everyday Heroes Who Beat Racism with Pranks - Funny anecdotes about trolling racists.

Lyndon B. Johnson - Crazy stories about LBJ.

Millenial Panic - Why the olds fear and resent millenials. 

Insane Conspiracies that Actually Happened - self-explanatory.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started today as it just dropped 7 episodes today - The Habitat. Its about the Mars Dome in Hawaii that 6 people lived in for 8 months. Halfway through the first episode and I'm liking it.

Also, just googled a shitload of new podcats thanks to this thread. I'm going through them to see which to add to my 'listen when I have time' list as my current list of podcasts is freaking huge and I'm having to teach myself when to just stop listening to one (be it episode or entire podcast) that I just don't care enough about.

• Like 1

- Exponent (Ben Thompson from StratTechery and James Allsworth). Focuses on technology, strategy and business. Great insight.  He's been doing it for years and after enjoying his new weekly drops, I started listening from the very beginning.  

- StratFor Podcast (Austin based strategic forecasting company). Focuses on world affairs but it's really informative stuff.

- HornCast.  I'm a sucker but they can go longer than they need to.

- Planet Money (NPR).  These are great 10-15min podcasts. There have been some great episodes.

Edited by RD3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

If you're a libertarian, the Jason Stapleton program is the best there is.

I listened to him for a couple months.  Not bad stuff.  But like most daily talk shows/podcasts, I found it to be very repetitive.  I'd probably still listen if he had just a couple shows a week.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried Lore. I like tall tales and urban legends but he can’t pull it off. I Tried a couple times, but his voice sounds like he’s using a robovoice to read written script.

I started listening to movie crush by one of the stuff you should know guys. It’s mildly entertaining.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

"Stuff you missed in history class" has the potential to be good but the "banter" between the hosts is so bad that I tuned out after about 5 episodes.

This is my complaint about a lot of podcasts. So many good subjects and stories that are ruined by shitty hosts who think they are way funnier than they are. 

Pistol Shrimps Radio

its two improvisers who don’t know much about basketball calling play-by-play of a LA rec league women’s basketball team. Matt Gourley and Mark Mconville from Super Ego are the announcers and several of the ladies on the team are also improv comedians including Matt’s wife. 

They go way off on tangents and it’s pretty hilarious. 

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Also I was thinking about this on my drive home today - Traces of Texas could make a good podcast. Lots of good old Texas stories. 

Oh that would be a good one. Sorta like Texas Country Reporter but history based. Of course, I'd also listen to a TCR podcast.

‘Thanks for giving a damn’ by Nashville singer/songwriter Otis Gibbs has had me hooked the past couple weeks.

he interviews lots of other musicians who just tell stories.  They include people like Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kevin Russell, Hayes Carll, Steve Earl, Ian Hunter, Billy Bragg, Slaid Cleaves, Wayne Kramer, Chip Taylor, and lots of musicians and industry folk who worked with and tell stories  about the most famous musicians out there.

i started with the one about Ray Wylie Hubbard going to Joe Walsh’s wedding and haven’t heard a bad one yet.

‘Thanks for giving a damn’ by Nashville singer/songwriter Otis Gibbs has had me hooked the past couple weeks.
he interviews lots of other musicians who just tell stories.  They include people like Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kevin Russell, Hayes Carll, Steve Earl, Ian Hunter, Billy Bragg, Slaid Cleaves, Wayne Kramer, Chip Taylor, and lots of musicians and industry folk who worked with and tell stories  about the most famous musicians out there.
i started with the one about Ray Wylie Hubbard going to Joe Walsh’s wedding and haven’t heard a bad one yet.

I love his style of editing his self out of the interview and just letting the stories be their own thing.
Dude is awesome and has started a YouTube series that is bad ass.

9 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Another episode of Ear Hustle dropped today. I really cannot get enough of this podcast. I think its because I really like the 2 hosts, Earlonne Wood (inmate) and Nigel Poor (volunteer). They seem to have a great rapport.

Ear hustle is solid, top of my list now.

whoever mentioned business wars, great recommendation 

also really into mafia

4 hours ago, Deej said:

A "Tell Me About Texas A&M" podcast would be fantastic. 

the episode(s) with RD explaining the 12th man would rival hardcore history's blueprint for armageddon for length

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3

I’m listening to Atlanta Monster, onto about the fifth episode and so far I’m beginning to suspect that the guy is definitely guilty and am getting distracted by people saying they’re sure it wasn’t him, but not being able to follow up with actual contradictory evidence or facts. Will keep going I guess, maybe something else comes in?

25 minutes ago, Atxhorn said:

How did this get made

This one is awesome as long as I've seen the movie they are discussing. Half the time I find myself staying up late on a Friday night with some beer watching a D level horror flick on youtube just so I can catch the podcast. 

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

This one is awesome as long as I've seen the movie they are discussing. Half the time I find myself staying up late on a Friday night with some beer watching a D level horror flick on youtube just so I can catch the podcast. 

Recently listened to the ladybugs episode. Haven’t seen it since I was a kid but guess it’s fucked up watching as an adult. 

On 5/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Celery Man said:

I’m listening to Atlanta Monster, onto about the fifth episode and so far I’m beginning to suspect that the guy is definitely guilty and am getting distracted by people saying they’re sure it wasn’t him, but not being able to follow up with actual contradictory evidence or facts. Will keep going I guess, maybe something else comes in?

There's some alternative theories floated, but I left the podcast thinking, "Yep, he did it."

On 3/30/2018 at 5:20 PM, Godzillatron said:

Two relatively new podcasts worth a listen - 

American History Tellers has done two series so far, first on the Cold War. And currently wrapping up Prohibition.

Business Wars has tackled Blockbuster v Netflix, Adidas v Nike, and is starting Marvel v DC.  

Highly recommend both. 

This thread got me on Business Wars.  Entertaining, like listening to an e-book.

But it has so much fluff.  It does so on purpose but enough already.