What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

I think there is a thread on the football board about football podcasts. But what non-sports related podcasts are you listening to?

I just finished Slow Burn about Watergate. It was an enjoyable listen and very informative. If you are a fan of All the President's Men, I highly recommend it.

I've also listened to most of Atlanta Monster about the Atlanta child murders. It's a decent listen and pretty informative.

I just started listening to Hidden Brain. It may not be for everyone, but I like what I have heard so far.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Been listening to these lately:

• American History Tellers
  • Constitutional
  • Reply All (probably my favorite but they only have a new episode every 2 weeks or so)
  • Business Wars
  • Rogan
  • The Fighter and the Kid

I like Rogan's podcasts, but I never have time to get through an entire episode.

Yeah, they are long, although totally worth it when he has good guests on.  I know he is a comic and that is why he has a lot of other comics on his show, but I prefer the episodes with the folks that don't come from his world.  Podcasts with people like Phil Demers, Kyle Kulinski, Bret Weinstein, Mel Gibson and Jordan Peterson, to name a few recent ones, are a lot more interesting to me than hearing Joey Diaz come on for the 300th time, even though he's a funny motherfucker.

Last Podcast on the Left (true crime, aliens, conspiracies, fucked up stuff)

99% Invisible 

A Way with Words

Ask Me Another (NPR trivia show with celebrity guests)

Barstool Heartland

Pat Mcafee 

RadioLab

Mortified (adults reading their childhood diaries in front of live audiences)

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Finished up Atlanta Monster this morning. Ended up being pretty underwhelmed with the podcast. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may want to listen to it, but I will say that if the tenth episode had been the first episode, I am not sure anyone would have listened to the rest.

It was interesting to me to learn of all the different aspects of the murders.  I liked the interviews with LO and Wayne Williams.  Could have been 6 episodes, though.

I listen to some of those that others have listed, above, but also:

• Hardcore History
  • Adam Carolla, depending on the guest (also sometimes Ace on the House and Adam & Drew)
  • Welcome to Nightvale
  • Last Podcast on the Left (depending on the subject)
  • Mysterious Universe
  • This American Life (depending on the subject)

Am anxiously awaiting the return of Getting on with James Urbaniak (probably never) and Serial.

Marketplace, Make Me Smart, and The Uncertain Hour. Basically, anything put out by Marketplace. It's all top notch content from an actual news bureau. 

I've listened to a few episodes of The Impact but it strikes me as a too dumbed down (like much of Vox's stuff). Doesn't help that the host has a penchant for using 'super' as an adverb. 

Just started Atlanta Monster so kinda disappointed by the 'meh' reviews above.

Edited by elfenix

"Stuff you missed in history class" has the potential to be good but the "banter" between the hosts is so bad that I tuned out after about 5 episodes.

i really liked "the history of Rome"- extremely informative and to the point. Was great listening to that podcast then going to Rome.

21 hours ago, Dr.J said:

If you missed Revisionist History from Malcom Gladwell it's an excellent podcast

Yep, I agree, Revisionist History is great.  Others I like:

Crimetown

Heavyweight

Origins

This American Life

Radiolab

More Perfect

S Town

Gravy

Song Exploder

Edited by hobbs

I've gotten hooked on "The Eastern Border." Guy in Latvia that discusses Soviet history from the perspective of someone who lived under Soviet rule. Pretty interesting stuff. He did an episode about a conspiracy that Putin is dead and they've had a stand in for years, now. He was banned from travelling to Russia after that.

I have a request - What are everyone's favorite episodes of podcasts? Like, mind-blowing and fascinating or ridiculously funny. So for podcasts where each episode is a stand alone story or topic where you can just walk right in, what are your favorites?

Radiolab - Rodney Versus Death - Maybe the most thrilling and amazing episode I've ever heard.

Cracked - Why the Food Industry is Evil - Awesome discussion of obesity and how the food industry basically operates like a dope pusher.

How Did This Get Made - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie - Jason Mantzsoukas is next-level hilarious and incredulous in this episode.

More Perfect - The Imperfect Plaintiffs - About guy who finds fact patterns/plaintiffs and gets them to the Supreme Court essentially as a hobby, and the strange, sad story behind Lawrence v. Texas.

You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes - The Return of Harris Wittels - Houston-raised comedian and comedy writer talks about his opiate addiction, rehab, etc. Tragically, he died of a heroin overdose 3 months later.

Frontline - Gunned Down - About the gun debate and the rise of the NRA.

The CrabFeast - Episode 38: Brandt Tobler - This dude's life whole life story is wild. It's especially incredible when he talks about being a runner for ultra-high stakes gamblers in Vegas. 

Sklarbro Country - Episode 42: This is a Podcast - Great complete episode but James Adomian as Gary Busey during the last 1/3rd is the hardest I've ever laughed at any podcast.

If others come to me, I'll post them here.

• Like 2

SYSK Live - How Public Relations Works. It's about how Edward Bernays, who's both a terrible person and the father of public relations. He basically spent decades proving that people are sheep and easily manipulated and his career included overthrowing a central American government.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, Ebeye said:

Working my way through the History of Rome on the drive to and from work currently.  I just started so only on episode 23 of 179...a ways to go.

When you finish this continue Rome with History of Byzantium.  Continue Mike Duncan with Revolutions. 

• Like 1

Two relatively new podcasts worth a listen - 

American History Tellers has done two series so far, first on the Cold War. And currently wrapping up Prohibition.

Business Wars has tackled Blockbuster v Netflix, Adidas v Nike, and is starting Marvel v DC.  

Highly recommend both. 

5 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I have a request - What are everyone's favorite episodes of podcasts? Like, mind-blowing and fascinating or ridiculously funny. So for podcasts where each episode is a stand alone story or topic where you can just walk right in, what are your favorites?

Radiolab - Rodney Versus Death - Maybe the most thrilling and amazing episode I've ever heard.

Cracked - Why the Food Industry is Evil - Awesome discussion of obesity and how the food industry basically operates like a dope pusher.

How Did This Get Made - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie - Jason Mantzsoukas is next-level hilarious and incredulous in this episode.

More Perfect - The Imperfect Plaintiffs - About guy who finds fact patterns/plaintiffs and gets them to the Supreme Court essentially as a hobby, and the strange, sad story behind Lawrence v. Texas.

You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes - The Return of Harris Wittels - Houston-raised comedian and comedy writer talks about his opiate addiction, rehab, etc. Tragically, he died of a heroin overdose 3 months later.

Frontline - Gunned Down - About the gun debate and the rise of the NRA.

The CrabFeast - Episode 38: Brandt Tobler - This dude's life whole life story is wild. It's especially incredible when he talks about being a runner for ultra-high stakes gamblers in Vegas. 

Sklarbro Country - Episode 42: This is a Podcast - Great complete episode but James Adomian as Gary Busey during the last 1/3rd is the hardest I've ever laughed at any podcast.

If others come to me, I'll post them here.

Last Podcast on the Left's Aum Shinrikyo episodes.

Been listening to Casefile for the last few weeks. Aussie dude narrating true crime stuff. Pretty damn good. First few episodes clearly showed signs of amateur bro just breaking into the podcast arena, but it found its feet about 10 or so episodes in. Heard about it on Reddit.

Every once in awhile there's a cold case thrown in, which is a little annoying but the story is still fairly interesting. Other times, you hear about some crazy Australian shit that was never on your radar. Also goes into some obscure British crimes.

Had a very interesting three-part (three hours) series on the Yorkshire Ripper. Unbelievable resources devoted to that case in England 1970s into the 80s. Crazy. I had never heard of it until this podcast.

Overall, very engaging. I'm on episode 39 of 75 so, yeah, I'm digging it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The delivery of the host takes a little getting used to but the content is great. 
Its David Allan Coe's son Tyler. 

Favorite part of a lot of the episodes is often the “liner notes” section. Agreed, his delivery is very stilted, especially near the beginning of episodes seems to get better further into the recordings.

7 hours ago, Grandioso said:

99% invisible - Flags.  All about design, shitty design, and good design behind city/state/national flags.  It's actually better to watch than listen to this one.