What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 10:17 AM, DCLonghorn said:

Smartless is funny. Will Arnett and Jason Bateman giving each other shit with guests.

Neil deGrasse Tyson was a guest. The host were throwing out zingers and subtle jokes while Neil did his science thing. And it always took Neil an awkward 15 seconds to get the joke and belatedly laugh.

Been listening to this one.  Pretty good.  

I have been enjoying the Leroy and Lewis podcast (link) but far and away my favorite "new" podcast of the last probably 6 months is Literally! with Rob Lowe (link)

Leroy and Lewis just has interesting folks on it and I am a big fan of Evan

Rob Lowe knows everyone, gives them shit, does some funny impressions, tells funny stories and generally does a bang up job with people we all know and love (McConaughey, Rogan, Lisa Kudrow, Chris Pratt was episode 1, Catherine O'Hara, Jon Lovitz, Nick Offermann) - really a highly recommended podcast

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

New hardcore history! (Why are there 2 threads?)

On that note - I stumbled across Dan's HH Addendum feed a couple weeks ago, there's some great conversations and footnotes to his other main-line podcasts. There's a really good interview with Tom Hanks on Greyhound

On 2/4/2021 at 12:14 PM, BabaYaga said:

Former SEAL.  His task unit "Bruiser" was responsible for winning the Battle of Ramadi in 2006.  Chris Kyle....famous sniper, was one of his guys.  That whole movie, all those SEALS were "his" guys.  Won a Silver Star.  Unlike most SEALS who's book start with "there I was, ankle deep in hand grenade pins"....his is 100% about leadership and discipline.  He also has his own BJJ gym along with the famous BJJ champion Dean Lister.  Jocko is a high level black belt himself.

Dude's just intense.  Gets up every morning @ 4;30 and absolutely crushes himself with a workout.  As stated, his podcasts are all about military history and leadership principles.  He talks very little about his own accolades fighting except in the context of leadership examples.  They are hit & miss, but many are really neat as he likes to get the old guys in there from Korea and Vietnam.  He is incredibly deferential to all of them and all service members in general.  

For YEARS now, rain or shine, he posts this pic every single morning without fail.  No text.  No explanation.  The guys walks the walk like no other.  

5a00dec658a0c1776f8b4ce4?width=1100&form

I used to work with a woman that would talk about how she worked out every morning around 3 or 4am. She was in the office at 6, and left for the day at 3pm. She said she went to bed roughly at 7pm. I never understood why that was considered some ideal. I always thought her life schedule was undesirable. I guess you get the gym to yourself but for a few extra bucks you can always find less crowded gyms.

This guy sounds like a bad ass but it's weird bragging about waking up early. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This guy sounds like a bad ass but it's weird bragging about waking up early.

It's not the act of getting up.  His entire MO is discipline.  His mantra is discipline equals freedom.  For him, he gets up and cranks out an insane workout.  To him he "earns" a sunrise every morning.  It can be anything, but it's the discipline....not "motivation" that will get you to where you want to be.  

Him simply posting a pic of his watch every AM is his way of holding himself accountable to the ideals he professes.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's not the act of getting up.  His entire MO is discipline.  His mantra is discipline equals freedom.  For him, he gets up and cranks out an insane workout.  To him he "earns" a sunrise every morning.  It can be anything, but it's the discipline....not "motivation" that will get you to where you want to be.  

Him simply posting a pic of his watch every AM is his way of holding himself accountable to the ideals he professes.  

That's cool. But I also assume he earns a living off of motivating others so that comes into play as well. 

If I had a friend that did this, or posted a pic of his lunch everyday, I would unfollow his posts. I wouldn't care.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's cool. But I also assume he earns a living off of motivating others so that comes into play as well. 

If I had a friend that did this, or posted a pic of his lunch everyday, I would unfollow his posts. I wouldn't care.

Sort of.  Leadership training.  Not motivation.  Started speaking to leaders in the military, then trickled to corporate stuff.  He's just applying his leadership principles from the teams to the private sector.  His main point being as leaders, you have to hold yourself accountable before you can hold anyone else.  

It got people's attention because eating lunch every day isn't hard.  Getting up at 430am for years and crushing insane workouts is.  

Dude's intense 

WHAT THE FUCK DID APPLE DO TO THE APP?

Seriously. Gonna have to use a new app.

They “improved” it from mediocre to unusable.

The new format abandons the play next queue functionality I was used to and populated it with episodes I skipped in the past. And swiping does not delete like it should.

A play next queue should act like a playlist. Populate with new episodes and let me simply swipe to remove or drag to reorder.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New Hardcore History just dropped, titled "Human Resources". Here's the description:

The Atlantic Slave Trade mixes centuries of human bondage with violence, economics, commerce, geo-political competition, liberty, morality, injustice, revolution, tragedy and bloody reckonings. That sounds like a lot, yet this show merely scratches the surface of this enormous subject.

I'm a little past halfway through it, it's horrific how recent that barbarity was in our history. Carlin's use of primary sources from people who were both behind and in front of the whip is really something else.

To answer the original question of what podcasts I'm listening to...

1. Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
  2. The Daily (NYT)
  3. Up First (NPR)
  4. The Lincoln Project
  5. Politicology (Lincoln Project spinoff)
  6. Smartless
  7. Politics War Room (James Carville)
  8. No Lie w/ Brian Tyler Cohen
  9. Surly Horns
  10. Dan Patrick Show (only listen to the segment that condenses 3 hrs into 45 minutes)
  11. CzabeCast (former national radio host who is a smartass like me)
  12. College Football Enquirer (Pat Forde, Dan Wetzel)
  13. Battery Power - Atl Braves (SB Nation)
  14. Charges with Rex Chapman (he must no longer be doing this...see below)
  15. The Rex Chapman Show w/ Josh Hopkins
  16. The Nateland (Nate Bargatze)
  17. Living in the 80s (80s pop culture)

I play them all on 1.5 to 1.8 speed.  It sounds weird to me now when I hear these people speak at normal cadence away from their podcasts. 

Burt, have you checked out "Inside Conan", with Mike Sweeney and Jessie Gaskell?  They discuss some of the behind the scenes stuff from the last 30 years with Conan.  They recently had Kevin Dorff on talking about the Old Timey Baseball remote. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

New Hardcore History just dropped, titled "Human Resources". Here's the description:

Hardcore history is great if you’re on a road trip or have a long daily commute but it's a slog if  if you are only listening 15 minutes at a time as you bop around town. The newest episode clocks in at almost 6 hours. 

• 1 year later...