What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

Modern Day Jesters

Its a podcast recorded live in the basement of The Phoenix Saloon in New Braunfels (The Phoenix was a saloon back in 1971, Gebhardt Chili Powder was invented there, there is a door in the basement that leads to the underground tunnels that were used during prohibition. The 3rd story was added for the Masonic Lodge when it was owned by a brother. Its a badass building and the basement, picture below, is badass as all getout) I've gotten quite into this podcast. He has a couple of localish music people on each show and they all play a number of songs. A few of the music people he has had have made it big on the Texas charts. Its sort of along the realm of me wanting to do something like the Bluebird Cafe (if you are into live music, its a MUST) here, except keeping with the NB theme.. the Gruenebird Cafe.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

fyi The Phoenix has some bomb ass chili 

That they do. The sirloin chunks are awesome. And fark, it was a saloon back in 1871. I only got off by a century in my rambling there. And I couldn't find a good picture of the basement, guess I'll have to get one tonight.

Edited by relapse98

32 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Wondery just started Legal Wars. The first series is about Hulk Hogan vs Gawker and Peter Thiel's involvement.

I like this semi Podcast company war that's going on. Wondery and Gimlet both put out really good content.

Wondery and Gimlet are 2 of my favorites as well.  Reply All is probably my favorite.  Too bad they're only putting out a new one every 2-3 weeks at this point.

On 9/17/2018 at 7:15 AM, Parliament said:

The one bout Boea Bergdahl was real good.

i guess it's a minority view, but i liked it.  not necessarily because bergdahl was an interesting story himself, but it provided a decent amount of background on a war we're still involved in.  also, it was pretty cool they managed to get taliban/haqqani network guys on the phone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Listened to and enjoyed the newest season of 30 for 30 about Bikram, but I was a little sad that they didn't have a bunch of individual stories like they usually do. That's what makes 30 for 30 so great. 

The new season just started, kicking off with the Jose Canseco Juiced book.  It was good.

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

Season 2 of Up and Vanished is nearly impossible to listen to. Lots of phone calls and non-studio bits played at low volume with music underneath.

Is that the one from Colorado?  If so, I had to stop listening after 4-5 ep, the "catfish" talk killed it for me.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:15 AM, NorthLoop said:

The latest season of Up and Vanished had me intrigued until the shitty phone call episode. Now they're putting out all these supplimental episodes that nobody cares about. Talk about killing your own podcast season halfway through. 

Latest episodes actually have "Catfish" on the phone. Holy fuck is this guy tweaked out of his fucking mind. Don't do meth kids. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 2:07 AM, NorthLoop said:

Latest episodes actually have "Catfish" on the phone. Holy fuck is this guy tweaked out of his fucking mind. Don't do meth kids. 

I was really bored with this season until the "Catfish" episode.  If Catfish did it, he didn't do himself any favors with that interview.

18 minutes ago, DocZaius said:

I was really bored with this season until the "Catfish" episode.  If Catfish did it, he didn't do himself any favors with that interview.

Yeah his biggest argument for himself was "I'm so innocent, I haven't watched any of your podcasts!" 

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I just listened to "Dr. Death." Maybe the most frightening and unbelievable story I've heard in a long time.

Same on both counts.  Listened to it a month or so ago.  Mind bottling.  

Also, for you "Dirty John" fans, Bravo has a mini series right now about it starring Connie Britton and Eric Bana.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Same on both counts.  Listened to it a month or so ago.  Mind bottling.  

Also, for you "Dirty John" fans, Bravo has a mini series right now about it starring Connie Britton and Eric Bana.

I could not figure out what was more insane: that he graduated from a respectable medical school (granted secsecsec but not the Bahamas #noracist) or that he managed to do so much harm, so quickly, in so many places, and no one stopped him. Not sure I have been so scared of going to the doctor since that Anakin Skywalker movie about the guy who had heart surgery but the anesthesia did not work.

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I could not figure out what was more insane: that he graduated from a respectable medical school (granted secsecsec but not the Bahamas #noracist) or that he managed to do so much harm, so quickly, in so many places, and no one stopped him. Not sure I have been so scared of going to the doctor since that Anakin Skywalker movie about the guy who had heart surgery but the anesthesia did not work.

That was my assessment as well.  He knew so little about spinal surgery that even one of the other doctors thought he was imposter and the OR nurses were correcting him.  From what I understand of the podcast, he never even had a surgery that went well.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:44 PM, DCLonghorn said:

Much appreciated all...relatively new to getting into podcasts...and jumped in with the new Google Podcasts app.  It made it just easy enough to get into it more.

For any Men in Blazers fans, Roger Bennett's American Fiasco about the 1998 World Cup and the US team flame out is good stuff.

Caliphate by the NY Times is damn interesting as well.

Been meaning to listen to Caliphate and just finished it yesterday. Wow.

Loved how it changed directions mid-series, but then came back to wrap up with the main interviewee. Don't want to spoil anything, but the interview in the last episode sort of unnerved me. Very well-done podcast, and Rukmini Callimachi is a badass. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Reply All, Radiolab, and Freakonomics are in my regular rotation. I sometimes mix in Revisionist History, This American Life, TED Radio Hour, Coffee Break French, and Science Vs.

Dr. Death was both interesting and scary, but I felt like the majority of the shock was revealed in the first 2-3 episodes and then it got somewhat repetitive.

Dirty John and S-town were both pretty interesting to me. Sad stories.

Up and Vanished season 1 is terrible. It felt like the host wanted to create a Serial type story so he googled a bunch of unsolved missing person cases, then randomly picked an interesting one and started interviewing people in the town to manufacture drama where it didn’t actually exist. Many of his interviews were pointless dead ends, then as luck would have it the actual law enforcement broke open the case around the same time, then the host started patting himself on the back and even interviewed his own mother as evidence of how awesome he is. I didn’t realize there’s a season 2, can’t imagine what it could be about, and won’t be listening.

On 12/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, wild_turkey said:

Up and Vanished season 1 is terrible. It felt like the host wanted to create a Serial type story so he googled a bunch of unsolved missing person cases, then randomly picked an interesting one and started interviewing people in the town to manufacture drama where it didn’t actually exist. Many of his interviews were pointless dead ends, then as luck would have it the actual law enforcement broke open the case around the same time, then the host started patting himself on the back and even interviewed his own mother as evidence of how awesome he is. I didn’t realize there’s a season 2, can’t imagine what it could be about, and won’t be listening.

Unequivocally the worst of the worst hosted by Douchemaster J. You hit the nail on the head. The guy did jack taco but interview a P.I. formerly hired by the family and his grandmother and somehow took credit for solving the case. The second version was hysterical watching him get taken for a ride by the Atlanta child killer.

54 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Unequivocally the worst of the worst hosted by Douchemaster J. You hit the nail on the head. The guy did jack taco but interview a P.I. formerly hired by the family and his grandmother and somehow took credit for solving the case. The second version was hysterical watching him get taken for a ride by the Atlanta child killer.

The 2nd season is about a hippie chick in Colorado

I listened to Swindled. Interesting stories but poorly executed. The narrator sounds like he's putting himself to sleep, and (like a lot of podcasts) he tends to take one angle and does not seem too interested in exploring stories in-depth from all angles; however, the stories are entertaining, and it is short without the legion of sheets, hair coloring, magic boxes, and other frumpy frau fare of ads.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

it seems like every podcast I listen to has 90% of its advertising devoted to women's hair coloring products.   

Having made the mistake of venturing into facebook discussions around a couple of popular true crime stories, my unscientific research reveals that 99.99% of crazy, passionate true crime innocents fanatics are middle-aged, overweight, relatively unattractive single women. I have not figured out if that makes that a good or bad product placement. Like most issues, I can see both sides. :)