What Podcasts Are You Listening to?

Seasick Sailor

I still listen to The Canon, which isn't as good since Devin Faraci had to leave, but their episodes are still enjoyable more often than not. I've also become a big fan of Thirty-Twenty-Ten, which looks at what was going on in the world/pop culture 30/20/10 years ago.

Started and caught up on ear hustle in two days. I like it but have very little sympathy for the inmates because most of the ones they have talked to including the host are in for murder. The one part that did get me was the guy talking about having to practice how to hug his mother because he hadn't seen her or had any human contact in so many years.

Started Atlanta monster yesterday. I don't think he's just an escape goat.

2 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Started and caught up on ear hustle in two days. I like it but have very little sympathy for the inmates because most of the ones they have talked to including the host are in for murder. The one part that did get me was the guy talking about having to practice how to hug his mother because he hadn't seen her or had any human contact in so many years.

I don't have sympathy for them, I just find the discussions interesting.

American History Tellers started a new space race series today. Mostly centered around Wehrner Von Braum, his escaping Germany and then leading our first rockets and us not trusting him, to our own demise, because of he previous career with the germans.

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow started receiving a subscription to Autoweek for free (we think my father got it as a 2fer) and I started listening to their podcast.

If you are into autoracing, this is the podcast to listen to. They tend to ramble some, their was a 2 hour podcast that was almost entirely a review of the movie Monster Trucks. But they have good discussions about racing in every series, except for drag - haven't heard much about it, and reviews and discussions of cars they are testing or their own personal ones.

Not sure if this was mentioned on the Shaggy version of this thread, but I didn't see it mentioned here. Slow Burn is great. It's about all the ancillary stories of Watergate that were probably hot topics of discussion at the time, but ultimately lost to history. For people like me who didn't live through Watergate it was entertaining and informative. The Martha Mitchell story was especially wild ass.  

• 2 weeks later...

The next Business Wars series is on Hurst vs Pulitzer, starts later this week. Sounds like its going to be told by the American History storyteller, so combining 2 of my favorite podcasts.

And Crimetown is starting another podcast called 'The RFK Tapes' which presents some new research into the assassination of RFK.

Intellegence Matters with the former acting Director of the CIA Michael Morell. -- I have always been interested in the intellegence community, and have really enjoyed conversations and explanations about complex security issues from people who are knowledgable about the various moving parts.  It can sometimes get political, but I think he is pretty good about inviting people from both sides of the aisle.

However, if you dont listen to any other episode, everyone should take a listen to the January 9th, Secret Artifacts: A journey through the worlds most secretive museum. The episode discusses various artifacts held at the CIA, which are not open to public viewing, and it was by far one of the most interesting podcast episodes I have listened to. [availiable here: https://www.thecipherbrief.com/podcasts/intelligence-matters or here: https://intelligencematters.libsyn.com/secret-artifacts-a-journey-through-the-worlds-most-secretive-museum; unfortunately, it seems to be only available online after it recently changed "owners".]

Anyone listen to the new Malcolm Gladwell podcast, Free Brian Williams? 

IMO, it was a bit bad. He was trying to conflate Brian Williams making up a story about being shot down in Iraq with people's faulty memory of 9/11 or other traumatic events. I think he missed the key difference between those events; one is one that is happening to someone whereas the other is one that people are observing. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn

Binged S2 of In the Dark this weekend.  Caught up with the exception of the most recent episode which dropped today.   

I have not listened to S1 but this season is about a black man in Mississippi who has been tried for the same crime six times.  Three trials were overturned by the state’s higher court and #4 and #5 were hung.  Really interesting story and some really shitty behavior by everyone involved on the state’s side (surprise).   

Episode seven has some real holy shit moments.  

Even if you aren't a soccer fan, "American Fiasco" is a great listen.

It's the behind the scenes story of the USA Men's National Team and the run up to and happenings of the 1998 World Cup.

It's done by Roger Bennett - one half of the Men In Blazers duo.  He is a natural storyteller and this is a great story.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy fuck the vocal fry is all over my podcasts.  Are people actually getting to enjoy this? (I know it's not new and its not just women, but it seems to be all over the podcasts, where you would think it might be discouraged.)

When it's all said and done, I blame Ira Glass.  His show was so good we overlooked his shitty voice and now it's too late to call people out when they have a voice made for silent movies.

I like the fact that millennials are generally pretty tolerant but I hate their tolerance of vocal fry.

The thing that drives me even more crazy is the idea that people might not vocal fry as much UNTIL they start the podcast.  In a recent Daily Podcast (NYT), on opiods the person is doing much less vocal fry when she isn't narrating, but picks it up when she goes back to narrating.

Zoe Chace, a producer on this American Life, has the single worst voice in the history of the world.  Which she overemphasises in her reporting.  When they go live, and you hear her actually converse with someone, the horrific accent goes down about 10 notches.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps/act-two

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 7:39 AM, butthurt said:

I've been listening to klos sessions on sound cloud. They have a guy that breaks songs down and isolates guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. It's very entertaining.

Thanks for this. I listened to a few, and thoroughly enjoyed them. 

Holy fuck the vocal fry is all over my podcasts.  Are people actually getting to enjoy this? (I know it's not new and its not just women, but it seems to be all over the podcasts, where you would think it might be discouraged.)
When it's all said and done, I blame Ira Glass.  His show was so good we overlooked his shitty voice and now it's too late to call people out when they have a voice made for silent movies.
I like the fact that millennials are generally pretty tolerant but I hate their tolerance of vocal fry.
The thing that drives me even more crazy is the idea that people might not vocal fry as much UNTIL they start the podcast.  In a recent Daily Podcast (NYT), on opiods the person is doing much less vocal fry when she isn't narrating, but picks it up when she goes back to narrating.
Zoe Chace, a producer on this American Life, has the single worst voice in the history of the world.  Which she overemphasises in her reporting.  When they go live, and you hear her actually converse with someone, the horrific accent goes down about 10 notches.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps/act-two

Had to look it up
http://mentalfloss.com/article/61552/what-vocal-fry

There are podcasts I would listen to if other people did the voice.
Stuff you missed in history class is one. Lore is another.

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

As soon as I discover TAL is a Zoe Chace episode, I’m out. I hate her voice and her stories. She sucks. 

Edited by bschoolprof

For weekly podcasts, I never miss Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast, unless it's an interview of someone who doesn't interest me.  Same with Your Mom's House (Tom Segura and Christina Paziztsky).

Also a regular follower of:

Walkin' The Floor w/Chris Shifflet - Foo Fighter lead guitar player's examination of country music.  Great interviews.

Cocaine & Rhinestones

Your Favorite Band Sucks

Celebration Rock with Steven Hyden

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin

Doug Stanhope's Podcast

The Church of What's Happening Now (Joey Diaz)

Bertcast (Bert Kreischer)

Heartland College Sports (Big 12 podcast)

CycloneFanatic (produces a variety of ISU related podcasts)

Big 12 County (self explanatory)

Basically anything about the music I like, comedians I'm in into, and sports I follow, with a little history thrown in.  I farm, so I spend at least 3 months a year working 16-18 hour days, 7 days a week, while operating machinery.  Podcasts keep me sane.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 6/12/2018 at 7:47 PM, Chet Steadman said:

Binged S2 of In the Dark this weekend.  Caught up with the exception of the most recent episode which dropped today.   

I have not listened to S1 but this season is about a black man in Mississippi who has been tried for the same crime six times.  Three trials were overturned by the state’s higher court and #4 and #5 were hung.  Really interesting story and some really shitty behavior by everyone involved on the state’s side (surprise).   

Episode seven has some real holy shit moments.  

I’m not saying there is no chance that he did it, but there is NO WAY that he should have ever been convicted with the evidence they presented. Pretty sure he’s actually innocent though. Hopefully with the recent developments that it’ll get overturned again.

I'm saying there's no chance he did it. I'm thoroughly convinced there wasn't a single "witness" who actually saw what Evans claimed they saw. The DA seemed to have just run through a list of former black employees to create a suspect list. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 7/14/2018 at 11:22 PM, Post Oak said:

Theyre great.  The WW1 and Mongols are the best imo. You have to be patient because its so long between episodes.  My podcast player lets me listen at 1.5x speed so it goes faster

Cant wait to start this one

QFT4

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From the other mini-thread, I listened to a few episodes of Radical Personal Finance.    Not bad.  I haven't learned any new personal finance techniques but its always good to hear the same ideas be reinforced.

Glad you like it.  Usually, the topics aren't groundbreaking but, lately, he's had some really good guests on that and some pretty great insights.  

Every time I go and try out a new podcast, I make it about 3 minutes before shutting it down. Seems like 95% of them out there are dudes with really awful jokes who like to yuk yuk and laugh at their own lame shit. It seems there is a disproportionate amount of people in the podcast world who think they are hilarious and are anything but. And now that someone here brought up the vocal fry thing that's all I can hear out of the women.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, elfenix said:

problem is that i know it's going to take him 2 years to finish.  do i listen now or do i listen when it's done?

I get so hard up for them i cant wait.  Listen now and then again after the next one comes out.  

Hes ruined other history podcasts for me

If y'all like Hardcore History, there's some other really good shows out there too. Tides of History is doing some things on the Hundred Years War which is great. One of the hosts also did History Matters which ties modern trends to events in history. Also, History of Fire's series about the Lakota and Custer was really good as well.

For the Longhorns, it's tough to find something better than one of the groups from HornsCast. 

• Like 1

Much appreciated all...relatively new to getting into podcasts...and jumped in with the new Google Podcasts app.  It made it just easy enough to get into it more.

For any Men in Blazers fans, Roger Bennett's American Fiasco about the 1998 World Cup and the US team flame out is good stuff.

Caliphate by the NY Times is damn interesting as well.

• Like 1