Pollen: Cedar, Oak 2018-2019

miguelito

Cedar season has begun, right on schedule.  Ashe Juniper trees will be spewing their reproductive juices all over Central Texas for the next 45 days or so.  Time to ramp up drug use. 

Some people advocate eating the juniper berries to build up a tolerance to the plant.  Some gins are made with juniper berries, so I'm going to try to drink more gin this season.  Will report on progress and success.

Vaya con Dios.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Cedar is not yet showing up in Austin.  Average first day of that is Dec. 17.  Please, for the love of God, give us our two extra weeks.

fucking this. sometimes it doesn't start to Xmas too. just depends on the cold fronts and wind

It started in San Antonio on Saturday, and we've had counts through today of 120, 210, 270, 940. 

According to my records, which go back to 2016, we've had small numbers this early, but the first day with a count over 100 had been:

2016: Dec. 18

2017: Dec. 13

The first day to hit 1000+ has been

2016: Dec. 28

2017: Dec 16

I did have a gin and tonic last night, but I just sneezed a few times.  Results inconclusive; will try again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Still no cedar showing up on the local news sites.  Could be mold, which is really bad the last two days.

My guess is though that after this little cold snap, if it gets over say 65°, it will start showing up in Austin. Maybe mid next week.

giphy.gif

Kxan is showing cedar at 135 today (medium count).

https://www.kxan.com/weather/allergy-forecast-austin-texas

No, I checked that page, and I'm referring to it today as well in my posts. It shows mold at 3326 ppg and raspberry/juniper at 135 ppg. that type of juniper has actually been on the KXAN allergy report now for almost 2 1/2 months.

That's not cedar.

When cedar shows up, it will actually be called "cedar" on the allergy report, like this:

DQ8II_bUQAAkWW0.jpg

It's officially informally known as well as "mountain juniper" and isn't technically even a cedar tree, but no, there is no cedar showing up today in Austin. Probably soon though.

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

No, I checked that page, and I'm referring to it today as well in my posts. It shows mold at 3326 ppg and raspberry/juniper at 135 ppg. that type of juniper has actually been on the KXAN allergy report now for almost 2 1/2 months.

That's not cedar.

When cedar shows up, it will actually be called "cedar" on the allergy report, like this:

DQ8II_bUQAAkWW0.jpg

It's officially informally known as well as "mountain juniper" and isn't technically even a cedar tree, but no, there is no cedar showing up today in Austin. Probably soon though.

Well, I must be horribly allergic to that kind of "cedar" too, but my allergies are a very strong indicator and I've been hoarse for three days now. Btw, KVUE is showing "cedar" as having arrived.

https://www.kvue.com/allergy

Allergy Count

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, miguelito said:

Cedar season has begun, right on schedule.  Ashe Juniper trees will be spewing their reproductive juices all over Central Texas for the next 45 days or so.  Time to ramp up drug use. 

Some people advocate eating the juniper berries to build up a tolerance to the plant.  Some gins are made with juniper berries, so I'm going to try to drink more gin this season.  Will report on progress and success.

Vaya con Dios.

A friend had allergies.  Ate 4-5 berries/day for a week or so a few years ago.  No cedar allergies since.

Edited by Longhorn Al

38 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

None this a.m. from KVUE... it probably won't affect people until next week as I posted above.  It'll show up very low here/there for the next few days.

allergy16x9.jpg

Good morning (national day of), cedar is simply off today, like the Post Office.

(Unfortunately mold is all wet with disrespect.)

Edited by clapclapclap
OU still sux

I grew up in Houston, been living in DFW for 11 years, never had allergies in either place. About three months ago I moved back to Houston and kept getting sick over and over with cold/congestion/sore throat stuff. Doctor tells me I have allergies to whatever is in Houston. Legit? I’m taking Flonase like its life or death but not convinced yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Houston, been living in DFW for 11 years, never had allergies in either place. About three months ago I moved back to Houston and kept getting sick over and over with cold/congestion/sore throat stuff. Doctor tells me I have allergies to whatever is in Houston. Legit? I’m taking Flonase like its life or death but not convinced yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds more like ebola

Northwest winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts between 40 and 50 mph are

expected across many areas on Thursday. The strongest winds will

be along I-35 west to Rio Grande. Loose objects such as lawn

decorations and trash cans should be secured. The highs winds, low

relative humidity, and cured winter grasses will also lead to an

elevated to critical fire weather danger Thursday. Avoid outdoor

activities that could inadvertently cause a wildfire.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The ladies in charge of planning the office Xmas party chose some stupid fucking outdoor team building shit activity tomorrow afternoon, gotdammit. Oh yeah, bitches, let's see who can snarf up the most cedar pollen flying through the polluted air at 40 motherfucking miles per hour.