Pollen: Cedar, Oak 2018-2019

miguelito

1 minute ago, texhorn said:

Yeah that doesn't work either for me. 

you sure you’re buying the d?  with the pseudoephedrine?  you have to get it from behind the counter at the pharmacy.  when my allergies are giving me hell nothing gives me more relief than a hefty dose of d. 

I used to take that d too; every December I was gettin that d.  Switched to Flonase and it is so much better, I hardly have any symptoms if I take it before ever stepping outside in the morning.  Works for Oak too, which always got me worse than cedar.

Moral of the story:  hit that hoe Flo.

Edited by KuЯdt
ho'

Holee shit, I don't quite understand why those SAT samplings are always like that.  Is it really true that cedar "down there" is 5=6 times worse than Austin?  I mean those numbers are incredible when compared to Austin.

Of course it don't really matter, whether its 200 or 20K gr/m³, it's the same agony.

Austin today is high of course:
allergy16x9.jpg

So far though I haven't been affected except for 1 day (about 3 days ago).  If I am, pop a Claritin and fuggeddabouddit.

Alright, fellow nerds/allergy sufferers, here's a chart showing the cedar counts for the last 2 years, plus this year so far.

2016 in blue wasn't so bad.  2017 in orange was similar to 2016, until another late surge.

This year in green is about 2 weeks early.  Hopefully that means it will be over sooner.  Ha ha, yeah right. 

cedar122118.jpg

Extra nerdy: the total count for each year:

2016: 153,220

2017: 285,480

2018 so far: 91,910 because fuck you, that's why.

Wow. I grew up in Austin with bad allergies an asthma from being allergic to grasses and all trees except cedar. I moved away for 30 years and was pretty much fine. I just moved back and the last week is like reliving the nightmares of my youth. I can’t breath and my throat itches like crazy. What the hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holee shit, I don't quite understand why those SAT samplings are always like that.  Is it really true that cedar "down there" is 5=6 times worse than Austin?  I mean those numbers are incredible when compared to Austin.

Of course it don't really matter, whether its 200 or 20K gr/m³, it's the same agony.

allergy16x9.jpg

So far though I haven't been affected except for 1 day (about 3 days ago).  If I am, pop a Claritin and fuggeddabouddit.

Follow Austin Allergy Associates on Facebook. Their count today has cedar in Austin at 25k.

It's fucking awful today. I woke up this morning and could hardly breathe. 

My rotation: wake up with two 24-hr Claritan, neti pot, some Rx nose spray that a doctor gave me, Clear Eyes eye drops prn and then Benedryl at night. Thinking about substituting Liquid Plumber for saline in the neti tonight. I can't ever remember it being this bad this early in the season. It will be a miracle if I survive through New Years.

2 hours ago, texhorn said:

Follow Austin Allergy Associates on Facebook. Their count today has cedar in Austin at 25k.

Thx.  Weird though, KXAN has around 1,742, KVUE around 6,000, and Austin allergy associates has about 25,000 today.  I thought maybe they were using different metrics, but only yesterday Austin allergy assoc. was at 1,742.

I know KVUE takes their own early in the morning and I think once again later in the daytime, KXAN actually gets theirs from Austin allergy associates, but it looks like yesterday's reading.

Even so, there's a pretty wide difference between KVUE and Austin Allergy. Like I said, really doesn't matter, 2500 is just as bad as 25,000.

20 minutes ago, futureman said:

so what is the critical mass for misery?  what point does it have to get to for people to start suffering?

E'rrbody's different and some people can go off with very little; likewise I can feel it much worse on a few hundred day and not as badly on a thousands day.

However, broadly speaking, it seems that about 400-500 or so is the basement for critical mass agony.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:09 AM, phdhorn said:

allergy16x9.jpg

so I’m just looking at this again, the “3437 g/m^3”

clarify for me because it seems wrong, but perhaps not.  am I to believe there is over 7 pounds of cedar pollen in a cubic meter of air?

7 hours ago, futureman said:

clarify for me because it seems wrong, but perhaps not.  am I to believe there is over 7 pounds of cedar pollen in a cubic meter of air?

Pollen counts are in grains or particles / volume.  Not grams.

By the way, have you seen the demon cedar pollen particles up close?  These pics will make your eyes itch.

800wm

800wm

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/33413/view/cedar-pollen-sem

Edited by miguelito
link to pics

7 hours ago, futureman said:

I think that's "grains" although yeah their formula is kind of confusing because it seems like the equation for grams.
KVUE's weather people go out, get some type of sample, look at it and actually count the number of grains in the sample, and compute it out to the cubic meter.  At least that's what I've always understood.

Was outside most of yesterday w/o meds, did great.  Went to bed fine.  Then the invasion began at about 4:30 this a.m.  Worst one so far of the short season for me.  1 Claritin and 45 minutes later, I'm clear as a Saharan sky.

Man I don't know why that shit works so well for me, but it does.  Praise baby, teenage, and grownup Jeebus for that.

Edited by phdhorn