Pollen: Cedar, Oak 2018-2019

miguelito

I’m trying to spread rumors that it’s an invasive species, brought here by European settlers to terrorize and harm the Native Americans, and that we should right the wrongs of our ancestors and eradicate every mountain juniper we can find. 

I support this rumor campaign.

I heard once that the mountain junipers, which aren’t native to here, actually came here from Japan from some long ago Spanish cargo ship carrying some crap from Japan to Galveston which crap it held eventually along with the mountain juniper made its way to Austin and the hill country since the climate and pine trees in Houston it didn’t like but it loved the hill country.

Have no idea whether that’s true or not.  Just thought I’d share. And all cedar trees should be eradicated. The only potential downside I see is worse flooding in the HIll Country and Colorado since they suck up a ton of water but fuck all that, something else like more oak trees can suck up the water. 

24 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I heard once that the mountain junipers, which aren’t native to here, actually came here from Japan from some long ago Spanish cargo ship carrying some crap from Japan to Galveston which crap it held eventually along with the mountain juniper made its way to Austin and the hill country since the climate and pine trees in Houston it didn’t like but it loved the hill country.

Have no idea whether that’s true or not.  Just thought I’d share. And all cedar trees should be eradicated. The only potential downside I see is worse flooding in the HIll Country and Colorado since they suck up a ton of water but fuck all that, something else like more oak trees can suck up the water. 

I always heard it was from Mexico and brought in for long straight beams for missions. I guess one of us could go to the Aggie website and see.... Nah.. I am cool with blaming the Japanese. 

52 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

Who is the resident Juniper/Cedar expert here? 

Everyone in here is.  Don't you know that?

How often can these 2 re-pollinate?

2-3 days on a 2-month roll.

Once they get a good rinsing, do we get a 2 week reprieve or what?

No.  More like a 2-3 day reprieve.

At least we'll have rainy weather the next 2/3 week (after Friday).

Edited by phdhorn

12 hours ago, miguelito said:

Yeah, yesterday and today were very pleasant, except for the 11,000+ cedar counts.  I did some yard work and now I'm paying for it. 

Austin was 73 yesterday.  Man it sucks where you are, as much as it sucks e'rrwhere this time of year.

Cedar will be back in Austin probably today or tomorrow. Then another series of cool days will help it. I expect next week (say beginning the weekend) is gonna be rough.

Paying the price today for enjoying the weekend while mainlining allergy meds and Sudafed.  It was worth it, though.  Great fucking weekend.  Got in a run on Saturday, mountain bike ride Sunday, and played about 4-6 hours of various sports with my sons and a friend.  Soccer, football, basketball, and baseball.  Hell, even tossed some washers for 30 minutes yesterday.

But JFC I feel like shit today.

• Like 1

Worked outside all day Saturday.  I have a regimen of allergy meds (including some prescription) that has worked for several years.  But this weekend, cedar won.  Holy shit, I'm in terrible shape.  Haven't slept for shit for two nights, sneezing and constant runny nose.

Heading in for an emergency allergist visit today.  Will probably get a cortisone shot (avoided it for the past several years).  This crap sucks.  Kill all of those damned trees.

Hell, we have cedars in the greenbelt.  My son got new airsoft guns for Xmas.  When he'd shoot a cedar tree, exploding pollen looked like smoke.  They are in record form this year.

In San Antonio:

Saturday 6,350

Sunday 11,820

Monday 5,690

Today 420

Front coming tonight, so the numbers should go up again.

And keeping up with the last 2 year's total counts (every day added up):

2016 153,220

2017 285,480

This season 217,880, with a few more weeks to go.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What was the most recent count?  Last night around dinner I felt the congestion coming on . . . spent the whole night and half of today blowing my nose.  Felt like an extended moderate asthma attack.

High yesterday (AAA reading via KXAN) - 1,146.  However today it's low at 486

KVUE (which does their own) had it low yesterday at under 400, today like AAA/KXAN at 486 - both of those are "low" - and tomorrow forecast for "low". 

Not sure I believe that entirely.

Anyway, maybe the trees have shot most of their wad early (in Dec.) with the favorable conditions, and won't be as bad the 2nd half.  Yeah, right.

(by the way, peak is about Jan 17 avg.).

Edited by phdhorn

I'm that miserable person that takes Zyrtec 365 days a year when in Austin, because if it's not one thing, it's another. Cedar kills me every year, it's the worst. I jumped on the Flonase train 12/1 this year, and have had easily the best Cedar season in 12 years in Austin. This morning was the first that I have had bad drainage waking up, so I'm preparing myself for tomorrow. 

Heading to Vegas for the weekend, so of course its gonna rain to drop it down while I'm gone. If y'all are placing bets, #'s will go sky high come Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Hey, I'll try anything now. 

The count was only about 1300 this morning, but that wind is gonna fuck things up.  My eyes are starting to crust over. 

You can get Flonase in bulk at Costco (they have their own house-brand). 

6 squirts a day up the anal canal starting on December 1st, then 3 squirts a day starting on the 15th, and you should be okay. If you are still,having problems, you can do two squirts in each nostril, but I would use a different bottle, unless you want to deal with something worse than cedar issues. 

Thats all according to a friend. 

58 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I'm that miserable person that takes Zyrtec 365 days a year when in Austin, because if it's not one thing, it's another. Cedar kills me every year, it's the worst. I jumped on the Flonase train 12/1 this year, and have had easily the best Cedar season in 12 years in Austin.

Yeah, Zyrtec 365 here, too. I read that it's ok to double up on Zyrtec occasionally when shit's really bad, & I found that when I take it every 12 hours it really helps a lot during the peak bad times. Seems like Cedar isn't too bad for me, but Mold & Ragweed fuck me up completely, so I get the effects on and off, year round. Mold has been destroying me ever since it stopped raining.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah, Zyrtec 365 here, too. I read that it's ok to double up on Zyrtec occasionally when shit's really bad, & I found that when I take it every 12 hours it really helps a lot during the peak bad times. Seems like Cedar isn't too bad for me, but Mold & Ragweed fuck me up completely, so I get the effects on and off, year round. Mold has been destroying me ever since it stopped raining.

Yeah, the double up never really helps me, but I have taken enough benedryl in my life, that it no longer makes me drowsy, so for bad days, I go straight for the pink pills.

• Like 1