2018 Tax Appraised Values

ftf

Just got mine. SW Austin. Market value went up +/- 23% overall, over 25% increase in land value only. 15% or so increase last year. Taxable appraised value will remain subject to a cap of course.  Curious if others are seeing repeat of over the Cap increases. 

On 3/27/2018 at 7:37 PM, bluto said:

if you go to TCAD site and search for your property, when the search results page comes up there is an 'export results' button on the top right. that CSV that downloads will have your value. 

Hm.  Not seeing that option for my property?  Just N/A for the 2018 values, and no other buttons or choices for more information...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrownKing said:

So is Protax the gold standard?  I've never protested my appraisal before. 

I used them and while they couldn't really do anything for me, saved me like $10, they also didn't take their cut because it was such a small amount. I'll use them again if warranted.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:37 PM, bluto said:

if you go to TCAD site and search for your property, when the search results page comes up there is an 'export results' button on the top right. that CSV that downloads will have your value. 

pos rep.

Mine went up 19% on purchase last year, lulz. These mofos crazy. Protax on auto appeal. We got it knocked down in the purchase year and I assume that we will get it knocked well down this year. TCAD lost their goddamned mind. 

Edited by Anastasis

24 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I guess I'm going to use protax.  It's 8% over what I paid for it.  78746.  Furk.

If you bought this year you can just walk in with your closing documents to the informal hearing and they'll set it to your purchase price no questions asked.  30 seconds tops, assuming you had a normal arm's length transaction as that is the definition of fair market value.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, drt said:

If you bought this year you can just walk in with your closing documents to the informal hearing and they'll set it to your purchase price no questions asked.  30 seconds tops, assuming you had a normal arm's length transaction as that is the definition of fair market value.

Protax got me knocked down under my purchase price last year, by 6-7% IIRC. I am not completely convinced that they arent both running a scam based on over valuation and charging on a cut of the resulting reduction.  

Protax got me knocked down under my purchase price last year, by 6-7% IIRC. I am not completely convinced that they arent both running a scam based on over valuation and charging on a cut of the resulting reduction.  
Does protax just charge a cut off what they save? If I can get 15% off the new appraisal I'd be tickled.

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Does protax just charge a cut off what they save? If I can get 15% off the new appraisal I'd be tickled.

I think its 10%.  They take 10% of the actual tax bill reduction.  If you are HS, and they don't get your appraised value under the cap, you don't pay them anything. Always appeal. Always. 

8 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont want to know...

This... I can wait.
Protested last year, got it knocked down by 45%.  Hell, after you do it the first time you have all your shit saved, I just keep going in and reminding them what a "dump" I live in and they always knock it down.  I don't even have to prep anymore, just dig out the shit and lug it in.  I was assuming I'd do it again this year anyway.  It's just a shell game, but once you play it once, it's easy to just go back.  Same shit, different toilet.

oh, lol.  

Protax got my appraised values dropped -16.5% and -7.1% last year. The second one is the one TCAD bumped me nearly 20% this year.  They're catching me in the HS gap year too, so I might be proper fucked if my appeal doesn't get traction.

BTW, the TCAD site now has all the 2018 data loaded up. 

Can someone confirm my understanding on the application of the homestead exemption.

Here is scenario:

1.  Property A on HS for 2017.

2. Purchase Prop B mid 2017 (HS by seller).

3. Early 2018, I apply Prop B for HS for 2018 tax year, Prop A HS is dropped, Sell Prop A.

TCAD site shows HS for Prop B, but is not applying the HS cap for 2018 tax year. Probably unrelated, but Prop A still shows up under my name, and there is no HS on that one.

My understanding is that on the intitial year of the HS exemption, the AD gets a chance to go in raw with no cap, is that accurate? 

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can someone confirm my understanding on the application of the homestead exemption.

Here is scenario:

3. Early 2018, I apply Prop B for HS for 2018 tax year, Prop A HS is dropped, Sell Prop A.

TCAD site shows HS for Prop B, but is not applying the HS cap for 2018 tax year. Probably unrelated, but Prop A still shows up under my name, and there is no HS on that one.

My understanding is that on the intitial year of the HS exemption, the AD gets a chance to go in raw with no cap, is that accurate? 

That is accurate. 

Just checked my rental. Up from 502k to 603k in one shot. 20% increase, fuck that place I guess I just have to sell it.

57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think its 10%.  They take 10% of the actual tax bill reduction.  If you are HS, and they don't get your appraised value under the cap, you don't pay them anything. Always appeal. Always. 

They take 40% of the savings.

Here is scenario:

Your are correct. The cap only applies on the second January 1 that you personally have the HS exemption. The CAD gets to move your recently purchased house up to market value and then, if the market value still increases more than ten percent in that second year, you are capped at ten.

20 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

Your are correct. The cap only applies on the second January 1 that you personally have the HS exemption. The CAD gets to move your recently purchased house up to market value and then, if the market value still increases more than ten percent in that second year, you are capped at ten.

Thanks for confirming.  I am going to get rawdogged.

It is almost impossible to make logical sense of the year to year specifics.

Example roll value history, every X indicates prior year appraised value, HS cap never kicked in during this timeframe:

2013 - X

2014 - X +2%

2015 - X +7

2016 - X +0.8%

2017 - X +3.5% (post appeal)

2018 - X +19% (pre appeal)

65c9d9f9c73a16d0ed917cd6ca9063a8e633049b

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Thanks for confirming.  I am going to get rawdogged.

It is almost impossible to make logical sense of the year to year specifics.

Example roll value history, every X indicates prior year appraised value, HS cap never kicked in during this timeframe:

2013 - X

2014 - X +2%

2015 - X +7

2016 - X +0.8%

2017 - X +3.5% (post appeal)

2018 - X +19% (pre appeal)

65c9d9f9c73a16d0ed917cd6ca9063a8e633049b

if your purchase price is less than the appraised value, take your closing statement in and show them what you actually purchased it for and they should reduce to that number. if not, you gettin rawdogged....