2018 Tax Appraised Values

ftf

protax did their job. 

last 2 years I self-protested and got huge reductions in the value (35k in 2016 and $44k in 2017)- but never below the 10% cap. 

this year my market value was 371k, and my homestead cap was basically $360,    Protax completed the appeal and got me at $349k. 

so a reduction of almost $11k in taxed money, so they will be getting some scratch from me. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Will any of these outfits take on your case AFTER the informal process?

I tried that -- and it was a JOKE compared to previous years.  Issues and approaches that had worked in the past hit a wall.  And looking around the room, it was apparent that they'd just hired a shitload of temps whose job was to say "no" to any modification.  So, no move.  None.  I'll have the formal hearing (have to check my mail to see when that was set).

Do these folks sign up at this stage, or only for the full process, pre-informal hearing?

I'd give them a call - the worst they can say is try next year. 

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Will any of these outfits take on your case AFTER the informal process?

I tried that -- and it was a JOKE compared to previous years.  Issues and approaches that had worked in the past hit a wall.  And looking around the room, it was apparent that they'd just hired a shitload of temps whose job was to say "no" to any modification.  So, no move.  None.  I'll have the formal hearing (have to check my mail to see when that was set).

Do these folks sign up at this stage, or only for the full process, pre-informal hearing?

I did ok in the informal.  Efile offer was a reduction of $22K.  I wen't to the mass informal room on a Tuesday and got another $22K off there.  Even after all that, I still have an increase of about 9.5% from last year so the whole process saved me about a hundred bucks.  I only asked they limit the comps to a much smaller area as those homes were all built the same year (2011-2012) and had similar features as opposed to the ones built later and she said no problem.

I used Five Stones last year and this year.  They lowered mine last year but not below the homestead exemption so I didn't get anything.  This year they lowered it 3%.  I have neighbors who used ProTax and they had theirs lowered significantly.  I'm using ProTax next year.

Had my formal Monday but not really. It had already been rescheduled twice. Went to sign in and they told me to sign in for an informal too as there was no line for it. Even though I did the online informal I rejected the offer, they still had me do the informal.

Guy was real nice. We discussed the comps they used vs. The comps I wanted. He ended up adding in all but 1 of my comps (he couldn't find one in the system) and then dropped the two highest from theirs. Went groun them trying for a $20k increase to about $8k. While thing only took about 20 minutes.

I do not like OU

• 2 weeks later...

i got a 63% reduction in my appraised value. woohoo!

it helped that my house was only 30% complete as of Jan 1 but they went ahead and put it at full value. :(

fortunately they saw the error of their ways and dropped the value to something much more reasonable.

i don't think i can duplicate this result next year but i'm willing to try!