Media Bias Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Al Jazeera > FOX, CNN, MSNBC

Those are not high bars to clear, but someone who only consumes news from AJ will get a way fairer and more comprehensive view of world events than any cable news watcher.

Speaking of media bias, any NYT reader sees an endless parade of left-shaming and paeans to the tiny, tiny slice of Americans known as, "never-Trump Republicans".

ciyh7086pGkh0Thi_rdmoqmumzD5C6vlB9YW9NdF

3 minutes ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

Good info at the end about how the left was portrayed using facebook analytics vs. how the right is portrayed. "exploited" vs. "used"

Holy shit what is it with you people and long videos with white guys fucking screaming into webcams? Do you people know how to read? Can you write?

Here’s the script they are being forced to read (with regional variables). 

https://thinkprogress.org/sinclair-forces-reporters-to-read-script-about-fake-news-63ae6fcea30e/

Hi, I’m(A) ____________, and I’m (B) _________________…

(B) Our greatest responsibility is to serve our Northwest communities. We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that KOMO News produces.

(A) But we’re concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country. The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media.

(B) More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories… stories that just aren’t true, without checking facts first.

(A) Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control ‘exactly what people think’…This is extremely dangerous to a democracy.

(B) At KOMO it’s our responsibility to pursue and report the truth. We understand Truth is neither politically ‘left nor right.’ Our commitment to factual reporting is the foundation of our credibility, now more than ever.

(A) But we are human and sometimes our reporting might fall short. If you believe our coverage is unfair please reach out to us by going to KOMOnews.com and clicking on CONTENT CONCERNS. We value your comments. We will respond back to you.

(B) We work very hard to seek the truth and strive to be fair, balanced and factual… We consider it our honor, our privilege to responsibly deliver the news every day.

(A) Thank you for watching and we appreciate your feedback.

All the Trumpkins need to shut the fuck up about media bias. If 200 stations came out defending Obama with basically the same script, they’d be shitting themselves and lying on the ground in the fetal position. 

But at least we know what stations not to watch. 

• Like 3

The Sinclair stuff renders any conversation about “liberal bias” moot. There are hundreds of local stations that are running this nonsense, and if there is one thing that the 100 years olds tune away from Fox News for, it’s local news. The fact that stations across the country are literally reading the same script is super troubling. If you can’t win based on ideas, buy all of the platforms.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 11:25 AM, Hank Kingsley said:

So many of you fuckers here want to whine about liberal bias in the media, here is a clear example of a hyper-conservative group literally controlling the majority of local news stations.

16 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Damn, KEYE is owned? Yeesh

Yup, I've seen some of the Boris Epshteyn pieces there. Aside from that their local news doesn't seem much worse or better than the other local stations - none of them are good.

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, this is super troubling. the consolidation happening in the media world is a bit scary.

This is true....

But there's absolutely nothing concerning or biased in that script.

This is true....

But there's absolutely nothing concerning or biased in that script.

Bullshit. Trump highjacked the the legitimate fake news concern and turned it into “news that makes Donald Trump look bad”. That they had to attempt to justify it by using pizzagate as an example is a laughable attempt to save face.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, this is super troubling. the consolidation happening in the media world is a bit scary.

Sinclair makes no bones above their stations’ local news coverage being the broadcast version of Fox News. 

They just won’t have Shep Smith breaking in with coverage of car chases.  Actualky, scratch that, since they want their local news coverage to be more unified, they might just start breaking in with stories they deem important nationally  

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 3/31/2018 at 5:35 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Here’s the script they are being forced to read (with regional variables). 

https://thinkprogress.org/sinclair-forces-reporters-to-read-script-about-fake-news-63ae6fcea30e/

All the Trumpkins need to shut the fuck up about media bias. If 200 stations came out defending Obama with basically the same script, they’d be shitting themselves and lying on the ground in the fetal position. 

But at least we know what stations not to watch. 

can you explain how that script defends trump or is inaccurate?  those stations may or may not be pro-trump in content, but the script you are complaining about appears to be 100% accurate and apolitical. 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

can you explain how that is not a false equivalency?  greenburg is complaining about what he alleges is a pattern of corrections in a particular direction.  he's not complaining about the fact media make mistakes and issue corrections.  he's also complaining about a much bigger and fundamental error in a story by cnn compared to the error in his publication.

i see no double standard.  explain it to me.

7 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

seriously?  sinclair is an old fashioned third rate broadcast group straight out of the 70s.  local tv stations have been using lame packaged content like that for decades.  how is that concerning to anyone? 

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's not what the newsletter says.

Journolist was basically friends talking to each other, completely free to either stay on message or not. What's happening here are corporate overlords forcing employees to read a script and pretend it's genuine.

They're extremely different.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Journolist was basically friends talking to each other, completely free to either stay on message or not. What's happening here are corporate overlords forcing employees to read a script and pretend it's genuine.

They're extremely different.

uh, they were journalists and editors of national standing discussing how to shape and present facts in a coordinated fashion for partisan effect.

which is 10,000 times worse than a trite self-serving blurb devoid on any actual content given to a bunch of ron burgundys to read out on their local news broadcasts.  you think the folks reporting on local tv news are shaping the national conversation?

Edited by krutov
  • Like 1

Just now, krutov said:

uh, they were journalists and editors of national standing discussing how to shape and present facts in a coordinated fashion for partisan effect.

What does "of national standing" even mean? There were about 400 journalists, policy talking heads, and various other randos on an e-mail list. They argued about how to cover things. Some tried to convince others to cover things certain ways. These are the exact same conversations journalists and everyone else have all the time.

The journolist scandal boils down to: "Liberals are talking to each other!"

The only actual problem was that it was full of lazy thinkers who purposefully cultivate a thought protection bubble, but we're talking about op-ed writers for liberal magazines. It's like finding out that Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity talk to each other sometimes, "OH MY GOD!!!"

And no, it's not fucking worse than a massive corporation forcing journalists to read off a centralized script.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What does "of national standing" even mean? There were about 400 journalists, policy talking heads, and various other randos on an e-mail list. They argued about how to cover things. Some tried to convince others to cover things certain ways. These are the exact same conversations journalists and everyone else have all the time.

The journolist scandal boils down to: "Liberals are talking to each other!"

The only actual problem was that it was full of lazy thinkers who purposefully cultivate a thought protection bubble, but we're talking about op-ed writers for liberal magazines. It's like finding out that Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity talk to each other sometimes, "OH MY GOD!!!"

And no, it's not fucking worse than a massive corporation forcing journalists to read off a centralized script.

let's just say that's a rather charitable characterization of the journolist story, and leave it at that.

as for the sinclair story, it depends on the script.  the script in question was an apolitical editorial statement by the organization.  sort of like putting "democracy dies in darkness" on your banner when a republican gets elected: it betrays a partisan leaning but still commits to telling the truth.   pretty much all you can ask of a news organization.

just an fyi that i mostly lurked on shaggy for over five years.  i am posting now because i cannot believe how full of shit the hugo gang has become since the transfer.  as much as i disagree with most of what you say, i don't put you in that category, but i do put that post in that category.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Don’t feed the trolls. Coloring the Sinclair “must run” scripts as bias is incredibly disingenuous. It’s heavy handed pro-Trump propaganda intended to manipulate viewers. 

Trump even acknowledged Sinclair media on twitter today.  There’s no pretense anymore. 

5 hours ago, krutov said:

let's just say that's a rather charitable characterization of the journolist story, and leave it at that.

We don't have to. We can discuss it. I think you want to leave it at that because Journolist only works as a scare story if it is not discussed at length, because it's actually a (god forgive me for using this bullshit word) nothingburger.

Journolist was an e-mail list of like-minded journalists, editors, policy idiots, and Internet personalities. They talked about shit, argued, and advocated for positions and coverage. That is literally it.

It was coordination in the sense that humans talk to each other and share ideas. No boss/employee relationships. No power dynamics.

as for the sinclair story, it depends on the script.  the script in question was an apolitical editorial statement by the organization.  sort of like putting "democracy dies in darkness" on your banner when a republican gets elected: it betrays a partisan leaning but still commits to telling the truth.   pretty much all you can ask of a news organization.

It was neither apolitical nor was it presented as if it was from Sinclair. The script is specifically written to make it seem like it is coming from the local news organization and not the central Sinclair mothership.

And I guess producing a piece from Sebastian Gorka ranting about the deep state as a "must-run" is also apolitical? lol

This is an interesting exchange on CNN.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2018/04/03/cnn-republican-racial-slurs-black-gopers-okay-if-you-act-it

DON LEMON: If the Republican Party wants to have more diverse interns and African-Americans, then maybe you should ... [Crosstalk] Hold on. Let me finish my point. Maybe you should have a better message, which is appealing to people of color, and then you will have more people of color who want to be a part of your particular organization. Doesn't that stand to reason?

HARRIS: But here's the problem with that, Don.

SETMAYER: Better messengers.

HARRIS: It takes, first of all, it takes somebody with very thick skin to go out there and be black and say, I'm a Republican, I'm a conservative because what's going to happen is they're going to come on your network --

LEMON: You got one right here [referring to Setmayer].

SETMAYER: Yeah, I've lived it for 25 years.

HARRIS: What's going to happen is they're going to come on your network and they're going to be called everything but a child of God, they're going be called an Uncle Tom, a coon, and everything like that.

SETMAYER: What are you talking about?

HARRIS: And so first things first -- are you going to sit there and act like that's not true?

SETMAYER: Well, if you act like it and someone calls you out on it, then we can't do anything about that. Maybe the messenger needs to be better.

HARRIS: So it's OK to actually call someone a particular name as long as you feel like they're acting like that. Is that what you're saying, Tara?

SETMAYER: I didn't say that, I'm just saying that --

HARRIS: That's what you just said.

SETMAYER: You can't blame people for being called certain names if they behave in certain ways if they behave a certain way. If you're a terrible messenger, you're going to get that kind of scrutinism, kind of scrutiny --

LEMON: You are getting off the message.

HARRIS: It's OK to call names. Is that what you're saying, Tara? That's what she's saying. She's saying it's OK to call someone a name --

SETMAYER: I'm not saying it's OK and you're deflecting because your argument is weak.

• Like 1

Meh, I image all companies have similar policies. There are several people assigned to PR. You don’t want random employees opinions to be misinterpreted as company positions.

Sinclair is a public company and their statements have FTC implications.

• Fuck You 1

Pretty great evidence for horrible media bias pushing their "all cops are white supremacist" shit. 

First NYT headline: New York police fatally shoot man after falsely believing he had a gun

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/new-york-police-fatally-shoot-man-after-falsely-believing-he-had-a-gun

http://archive.is/eJGay

Wasn't archived, they have changed it twice, but even after two corrections it is still misleading, and puts the cops in a bad light.

shit333.jpg

shit2223.jpg

Well, they did force police to release the real story very quickly, turns out the dude was waving his fake gun at random people. 

what_the_fuck_2.jpg

what_the_fuck.jpg

Edited by SmokeyBear1861